• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in Beauty: the Camino Aragones

Albertagirl

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances; Aragones; VdlP; Madrid-Invierno; Levante
I arrived in Canfranc Estacion in the late morning after a pleasant downhill walk in the late morning, with the beauty of the mountains all around. I started my Camino on the Camino d'Arles, at Olorn Ste Marie. The Vallee d'Aspe from Oloron Sta Marie to the Somport Paass was, as usual, very wet, rain all three days to the Col de Somport. I began my Camino in Oloron Ste Marie to enjoy the approach through the mountains, but. It was largely invisible in the rain and fog. From what I can tell, mountain views do not open up before the Col de Somport. I was very wet, cold, and tired by the time I got there - all uphill. The highlight of the walk up the Vallee d'Aspe was for me the night which I spent at the Monastere de Sarrance, with the welcome from the hospitaleros and the monk who dealt with guests. I was able to share common prayer and felt that that was the start of my Camino. Aside from Sarrance, I think that I might take the bus and begin my Camino at the Somport Pass, as others were doing. I stayed at Albergue Aysa and managed to get largely dried out. Today I enjoyed the walk downhill to Canfranc Estacion through the mountains in fine weather. I am staying at Albergue Rio Aragon, in a single room with bath for €22.50 pilgrim rate, getting some rest and reversing the drying out process by having half a bottle of wine with my dinner - my first on Camino.
The station in the major attraction in Canfranc Estacion and is being repaired, but is not available to casual visitors. Guided tours are offered for €3 but were booked up in advance for the weekend. A very modern looking Renfe train was parked in the station for much of the day, so I guess there is service. I like the new and rather stark church, where I spent some time, as it was open to visitors, no mass today. I go on to Jaca tomorrow. I don't know if I shall post regularly,as I don't expect to take many days of leisure.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Couldn't agree more with your thread's title, Albertagirl! When LT and I walked the ARagones in 2015, we were told repeatedly that numbers are down, that Camino businesses along the way (mainly the few small albergues in all those nice little hill towns) are feeling the pinch, and that no one has an explanation. Hope you enjoy it, and may you find some good companionship! Buen camino, Laurie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Shades of that great poet, Byron:

She walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent!

May you continue to walk on in beauty...

Buen Camino

Keep us posted!

I don't get the lesser numbers on the Aragones either? Most of my more experienced Belgian fellow peregrinos started ten years ago on the Aragones and then went further on the Frances. No almost no one does the Aragones anymore.

On my list though, so looking forward to your report Albertagirl.

I have walked the Aragones/Arles route in 2000 and in 2006, so sorry, but no up to date info from me ;-) but it is a beautiful route with an excellent pilgrims infrastructure and without the bed race - what else could you wish for? Buen Camino, SY

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Dear @Albertagirl ; Thank you very much indeed for talking briefly on your recent experiences on the Aragones.

I will be walking down from Somport (where I'll be starting, weather allowing) around nov 17th. This will be my first time through the Aragones and I'm pretty excited!

Please keep us updated and in the loop for conditions on the Aragones up to Puente la Reina.

Once again, thanks a lot and Buen Camino!

;):)

Yes please Albertagirl.
Please keep us updated!
I so look forward to this Camino sometime.
I think this started my longing.

Do you remember an Inn,
Miranda?
Do you remember an Inn?
And the tedding and the spreading
Of the straw for a bedding,
And the fleas that tease in the High Pyrenees,
And the wine that tasted of tar?
And the cheers and the jeers of the young muleteers
(Under the vine of the dark verandah)?
Do you remember an Inn, Miranda,
Do you remember an Inn?
And the cheers and the jeers of the young muleteers
Who hadn't got a penny,
And who weren't paying any,
And the hammer at the doors and the Din?
And the Hip! Hop! Hap!
Of the clap
Of the hands to the twirl and the swirl
Of the girl gone chancing,
Glancing,
Dancing,
Backing and advancing,
Snapping of a clapper to the spin
Out and in --
And the Ting, Tong, Tang, of the Guitar.
Do you remember an Inn,
Miranda?
Do you remember an Inn?
Never more;
Miranda,
Never more.
Only the high peaks hoar:
And Aragon a torrent at the door.
No sound
In the walls of the Halls where falls
The tread
Of the feet of the dead to the ground
No sound:
But the boom
Of the far Waterfall like Doom.

TARANTELLA ~ Hilaire Belloc

The inn in the High Pyrenees referred to in the poem is the inn at Canfranc, a small mountain village in the valley of the River Aragon, before Jacca on the Camino Aragones.

Ever so kind regards
Gerard

Dear friends,
Here I am in Jaca, eating my breakfast in the Albergue de peregrinos. The kitchen is handy. Yesterday was a fairly long day for me, about 23 km. From the pass up to noon yesterday, I was picking up litter. But I had to stop for the day, as the litter (including tissues) was getting thicker and my distance still to walk was daunting. I fear that the Aragones has earned its classification as a version of the Frances. There were a fair number of pilgrims at Somport, but we have spread out, as the faster walkers have moved ahead. I arrived in Jaca at about 6 pm and headed for the tourist office to look for an albergue - so many are closed that it is faster to ask at the office than to rely on a list. I asked about a bus to San Juan de la Pena and was told that they had stopped for the season, but the woman telephoned someone, then told me that there is a bus today at 3 pm. I can leave my backpack at the tourism office for the morning, to wander around Jaca then retrieve it, get some lunch, and pick up the bus to San Juan. I won't have very long there, as I must walk the 12 km to Santa Cilia, and I understand the path is difficult. I met a Russian girl at the tourism office whom I had first met in a shared dorm at Somport Col. She suggested that I return to her Albergue, which I did, and we dined together. There is no "menu peregrino" in Jaca, but the Biarritz Restaurant begins dinner service at 8pm and if you turn to the last page of the extensive and very expensive menu, there is a daily menu with many choices and excellent food. The whole menu was in English and most diners at the time spoke English. I was told it is the only place in Jaca that offers an evening meal that early. Well, it is past 8 am and I must finish packing and head off on my next adventure. Please do not advertise the Aragones too widely. It is great as it is.

Thanks for sharing your journey, @Albertagirl. While on the Baztan earlier this year, a Spanish peregrino convinced me that I should walk the Aragones sometime. It's definitely on the shortlist and your posts have reignited my interest. Buen Camino!

Albertagirl,

Your daily updates are great!
Please scan this earlier Forum thread re accommodation and routes at San Juan Pena. You might discover alternate possibilities for staying nearby the monastery. ...However you arrive and wherever you may stay you will never forget this extraordinary sight/site. Enjoy it all!

I am sitting in a restaurant very close to the cathedral in Jaca, enjoying a cafe con leche and asking some reflections from those who read this post. I don't want to start a discussion on "Who is a pilgrim?" but I need some help from those who have walked the Camino for devotional reasons. How do you balance your responses to the spiritual aspects of the churches and other monuments with the impressions they make on intellectual interest in historical monuments and your response to the overwhelming tourist environment. This may not be very clear. I wish I were more pious and could be drawn to devotion by looking at religious art. I have been reading Gitlitz and Davidson and find my intellect aroused rather than my piety. But how can I be drawn into devotion in this setting if I do not understand the iconography? Maybe I could just look at the crucifixes? Any suggestions from your experience are welcome.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For me personal there isn't really any difference between the two as for me all beauty (nature, created by humans etc) point me to God who has given us both the intelligence to appreciate beauty on an intellectual level and the capacity to enjoy it without analysing it. Buen Camino, SY

I am still trying to quiet my busy mind, but I am enjoying my Camino. For now, I think I shall just let the busy thoughts float. My time up at San Juan de la Pena was worthwhile. I could have skipped the time in the new monastery, which is not very interesting to anyone with a good basic knowledge of the Christian monastic life. It is clearly a tourist focused introduction to Christian monasticism. I kept wanting more detail but it wasn't available. On the other hand, the old monastery was fascinating in every way - to imagine what life was like in that strange structure under the mountain slope! And the old monastery was so closely connected to the royalty of the kingdom of Aragon, with the royal tombs there. The cloister contains some wonderful sculptured capitals by the Master of San Juan de la Pena, whose work is seen elsewhere on the Camino. I may relate to his work elsewhere better having seen much of it up close.
I stayed overnight in the Albergue at Santa Cilla. It has good facilities, including a kitchen, but no food store in town except a bakery. I got a tasty tortilla bocadillo for supper at a bar, but no salad or vegetables. Breakfast was coffee from my supplies and bread from an anonymous donor. I am looking forward to a communal meal at Arres tonight. I am enjoying the fresh sunny fall weather and am now at Puenta la Reina de Jaca, so only another hour and a half or so to complete my day's walk. Buenos Dias a todos.

Last edited:
Arres was wonderful, a true child of San Juan Bautista at Granon. We pilgrims were shown around the village by a devoted hospitalero, who has turned an accident on the Primitivo and inability to walk into an opportunity to serve. The spirit of the place was palpable. Now, after a very hot dry walk to Artieda, I am at an Albergue whose spirit is very different - one of myriad rules enforced aggressively. I am a good girl, so I do not anticipate any problems. I shall get on with settling in. Later: they threw me out of the bar for the afternoon, so I guess I am not as good at following rules as I thought. I shall just have to find another bar.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have arrived at Undues de Lerda after a very long and tiring day - about a 24 km. walk through Ruesta then over the hills west of the Embalse de Yesa. I decided late this morning that I did not feel attracted to the Albergue at Ruesta, where the buildings are in ruins due to their approaching drowning in the waters of the expanded reservoir. All day, I could hear the noises of construction downhill from my route through the hills. My feet are sore after a day of hill walking, but I am refreshed after my shower and so far I have a room alone with a bed, rather than a bunk - sheer luxury. My companions, if any, will have to share the bunk beds. I am still litter picking, but I expect that the pleasant gentlemen who have been staying at the same albergues as I and getting ahead of me each day have been contributing to my efforts. I don't have my guide book with me at the moment, but I think I shall be going to Sanguesa tomorrow. Since Jaca, all the villages are in a state of deterioration, sadly represented by the statement of a man in Mianos that "the bar has closed." The bar in this part of Spain seems to be the last remnant of communal life. I am in one now, where two small children are playing on the stairs, while two men play cards. The destruction caused by the expansion of the reservoir seems to be opposed by the residents. The favourite poster declares "Yesa, No." But Madrid has decided and will apparently go forward. Five kilometres of the traditional Camino Aragones will disappear, along with villages and ancient monuments and various aspects of local agriculture that cannot continue underwater. My information on this topic is minimal - I am only sad. All the best to all those who plan to walk this Camino in the future.

Hi, Albertagirl, your feelings just shoot right through the screen. It is sad, I agree. Maybe what comes will be better, we can always hope. One of the very sad facts I heard when walking the Aragones was that the government, when it condemned all of the agricultural lands around these towns for the new reservoir, did not bother to think that this action had in one blow rendered these towns totally unsustainable. No compensation was given for the now very devalued residences in what used to be such pretty hill towns, whose owners made a living working the fields below them. Now they are left with their homes but no livelihood. How cruel.

I thought Undues looked like it might survive, there are so many nicely redone homes there. A revival of the Camino Aragones might help quite a bit, but we'll just have to see what the flooding does to it. (your post sounds like you have learned what the new route will be, is that right? If so, could you share it?) I am really enjoying your comments, hang in there. Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. I thought the Albergue in Ruesta was showing a strong fighting spirit, determined to keep going in the face of a town falling down around it. And the real advantage was that the hospitalero's girlfriend was a GREAT cook and made us some really fine meals.

Hi @Albertagirl and @peregrina2000 !

I'm closely following this interesting thread as I'll be walking the Aragones next november.

Do you know where can I get more information about this flood? When and where is it going to take place?

Should I be concerned and make different plans?

I got a bit concerned with the " state of deterioration" statement...

:eek::confused:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Albertagirl, your feelings just shoot right through the screen. It is sad, I agree. Maybe what comes will be better, we can always hope. One of the very sad facts I heard when walking the Aragones was that the government, when it condemned all of the agricultural lands around these towns for the new reservoir, did not bother to think that this action had in one blow rendered these towns totally unsustainable. No compensation was given for the now very devalued residences in what used to be such pretty hill towns, whose owners made a living working the fields below them. Now they are left with their homes but no livelihood. How cruel.

I thought Undues looked like it might survive, there are so many nicely redone homes there. A revival of the Camino Aragones might help quite a bit, but we'll just have to see what the flooding does to it. (your post sounds like you have learned what the new route will be, is that right? If so, could you share it?) I am really enjoying your comments, hang in there. Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. I thought the Albergue in Ruesta was showing a strong fighting spirit, determined to keep going in the face of a town falling down around it. And the real advantage was that the hospitalero's girlfriend was a GREAT cook and made us some really fine meals.
Laurie
About the new route: When leaving Artieda this morning, I saw a sign pointing to Ruesta with a yellow arrow beside it. I followed the route, which quickly became a new highway high on a hillside, with no traffic, very few cars. It deteriorated into an old highway before Ruesta. I don't know if that is supposed to be the new route, but the lower route, which I joined shortly before Ruesta, will certainly be underwater.
Mary Louise

Hi @Albertagirl and @peregrina2000 !

I'm closely following this interesting thread as I'll be walking the Aragones next november.

Do you know where can I get more information about this flood? When and where is it going to take place?

Should I be concerned and make different plans?

I got a bit concerned with the " state of deterioration" statement...

:eek::confused:
Vlebe
This is a years' long project and I would not anticipate any further flooding in the next couple of months. But you cannot expect frequent bars and bathrooms along this route. And I would book your accommodation, just in case of closure for the season.

I arrived in Canfranc Estacion in the late morning after a pleasant downhill walk in the late morning, with the beauty of the mountains all around. I started my Camino on the Camino d'Arles, at Olorn Ste Marie. The Vallee d'Aspe from Oloron Sta Marie to the Somport Paass was, as usual, very wet, rain all three days to the Col de Somport. I began my Camino in Oloron Ste Marie to enjoy the approach through the mountains, but. It was largely invisible in the rain and fog. From what I can tell, mountain views do not open up before the Col de Somport. I was very wet, cold, and tired by the time I got there - all uphill. The highlight of the walk up the Vallee d'Aspe was for me the night which I spent at the Monastere de Sarrance, with the welcome from the hospitaleros and the monk who dealt with guests. I was able to share common prayer and felt that that was the start of my Camino. Aside from Sarrance, I think that I might take the bus and begin my Camino at the Somport Pass, as others were doing. I stayed at Albergue Aysa and managed to get largely dried out. Today I enjoyed the walk downhill to Canfranc Estacion through the mountains in fine weather. I am staying at Albergue Rio Aragon, in a single room with bath for €22.50 pilgrim rate, getting some rest and reversing the drying out process by having half a bottle of wine with my dinner - my first on Camino.
The station in the major attraction in Canfranc Estacion and is being repaired, but is not available to casual visitors. Guided tours are offered for €3 but were booked up in advance for the weekend. A very modern looking Renfe train was parked in the station for much of the day, so I guess there is service. I like the new and rather stark church, where I spent some time, as it was open to visitors, no mass today. I go on to Jaca tomorrow. I don't know if I shall post regularly,as I don't expect to take many days of leisure.
I hope you find some time to post, did that same route in 04 and again in 2013. I thinking of heading back next year again. Sounds like it cold. I haven't tried it in Sept/Oct. I'd be interested in what the temps are like in the Spainish side. Ruestra is lovely.

I am about 5 or 6 days behind you.

For those following, the alburgue in Canfranc is closed for the season, but open weekends.

The alburgue in Villanua is closed for holidays, apparently for a couple weeks. The hostal is open, and cheaper if you don't use booking.com.

For those following, the alburgue in Canfranc is closed for the season, but open weekends.
The alburgue in Villanua is closed for holidays, apparently for a couple weeks. The hostal is open, and cheaper if you don't use booking.com.
@NorthernLight
To clarify, do you mean the Refugio Sargantana in Canfranc, which the CSJ Guidebook describes as "primarily an Outward Bound centre for young people, closed spring and autumn?" Or would you be referring to one of the albergues at Canfranc Estacion? I stayed at the Albergue Rio Aragon, but the Albergue Pepito Grillo was also open there when I went through. I don't know about the Albergue Juvenile mentioned in my guidebook. I got my reservation in Canfranc Estacion through the staff who work in the Oficina de Turismus in Canfranc Estacion,.who phoned to all albergues on their list. I would recommend talking to them for anyone going through in off season.

I hope you find some time to post, did that same route in 04 and again in 2013. I thinking of heading back next year again. Sounds like it cold. I haven't tried it in Sept/Oct. I'd be interested in what the temps are like in the Spainish side. Ruestra is lovely.
@Jeff Mayor
If you are asking about the temperature, it has been quite hot everywhere downhill from Canfranc Estacion, close to 30 in Sanguesa. I am hoping for a cooling off. I join the Frances in a couple of days.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I would be very surprised if the albergues in Canfranc Estacion are closed. I know that their "high season" is not camino-related, but rather is the winter ski season when groups come to sleep in their albergues and ski during the day. So it definitely pays to check first. And I'm still waiting to hear from someone who manages to take a tour of the old train station. Both Albertagirl and I were too late to get tickets. That suggests that it must be interesting if they sell out regularly.

HOpe things cool of for you Albertagirl, Buen camino, Laurie

I have been out of touch for a couple of days, having no access to wifi in or after Sanguesa. Like most of the albergues on the Aragones, the Albergue at Sanguesa is alerted to the arrival of a pilgrim by a telephone call. I do not carry a telephone on Camino, but I might get one in future. Another option is to knock on the door. After Sanguesa, I went on to Izco for last night. Izco enjoys the luxury of a generous sized swimming pool, looking recently built, and filled with water. That is pretty much the only water in the village. I arrived there two days after the local version of a "Boil water advisory" had been imposed by the local authorities. I did not see this until after washing myself, my hair, and my laundry. We pilgrims were given a bottle of water each and warned about drinking tap water. By morning, there was no water in taps or toilets and I was glad to be moving on.
A brief comment on Albergue facilities on the Aragones: most albergues where I stayed have ceramic tile floors, cemented in place, and with ceramic baseboards as well. This seems to me to be a good prevention strategy for bed bed - no cracks to hide in.
Now I am in Monreal, where the Albergue facilities are standard. However, the associated bar offers only basic meals and the super mercado in town has closed - the fate of most facilities in the smaller towns and villages on the Aragones.
The scenery continues beautiful - rolling hills, treed or with crops. But I am looking forward to the more extensive facilities on the Frances.

I am at Tiebas, the only woman in an eight person dorm. One of the young men politely asked me in English, when he arrived, if he could sleep with me: indicating the top bunk, where I am ensconced on the bottom. I informed him that he can sleep wherever there is an empty bed. He appears to have changed his mind and chosen a lower. The scenery was fine today. I walked mostly high on a hillside and got to see more of the scenery all around, opening up to a view of Pamplona and the Alto de Perdon, which looks higher than I remember it. However, the route entered deep cuts in the hills, down and up all day in a somewhat tiresome way.
Tomorrow I shall be going, by way of Eunate, to Puenta la Reina and ending my adventures on the Aragones. I shall try to make some general comments which may be useful to others planning to walk the route. Buen Camino a todos.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am at Tiebas, the only woman in an eight person dorm. One of the young men politely asked me in English, when he arrived, if he could sleep with me: indicating the top bunk, where I am ensconced on the bottom. I informed him that he can sleep wherever there is an empty bed. He appears to have changed his mind and chosen a lower. The scenery was fine today. I walked mostly high on a hillside and got to see more of the scenery all around, opening up to a view of Pamplona and the Alto de Perdon, which looks higher than I remember it. However, the route entered deep cuts in the hills, down and up all day in a somewhat tiresome way.
Tomorrow I shall be going, by way of Eunate, to Puenta la Reina and ending my adventures on the Aragones. I shall try to make some general comments which may be useful to others planning to walk the route. Buen Camino a todos.
Hi Fellow Canuck! , looking forward to your end report. Sounds like you were on a great adventure. Ultreia, Ingrid

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
@NorthernLight
To clarify, do you mean the Refugio Sargantana in Canfranc, which the CSJ Guidebook describes as "primarily an Outward Bound centre for young people, closed spring and autumn?" Or would you be referring to one of the albergues at Canfranc Estacion? I stayed at the Albergue Rio Aragon, but the Albergue Pepito Grillo was also open there when I went through. I don't know about the Albergue Juvenile mentioned in my guidebook. I got my reservation in Canfranc Estacion through the staff who work in the Oficina de Turismus in Canfranc Estacion,.who phoned to all albergues on their list. I would recommend talking to them for anyone going through in off season.

I was referring to Canfranc, and yes I think it was the Sargantana. The whole village looked closed.

I've had no trouble finding beds since then and have booked nothing ahead. There were 7 of us in Arres. I think the next few days will be interesting, water source-wise.

I was referring to Canfranc, and yes I think it was the Sargantana. The whole village looked closed.

I've had no trouble finding beds since then and have booked nothing ahead. There were 7 of us in Arres. I think the next few days will be interesting, water source-wise.
I found it very difficult getting water, but I don't generally need much. I carry water purification tablets as backup, but I never used them. Two of the Fuentes, including the one at Ruesta, have hoses attached to the taps to take all the water, so there is none for pilgrims. Carry lots and fill up when you can.

Now I am in Puenta la Reina, and in shock - like other forum members' responses to Sarria. I am at the Padres Reparadores, and the place is packed. It is challenging to think about the Aragones in this situation. I have wondered whether there are really as few pilgrims on the Aragones as the statistics in Santiago suggest. There was no lack of French pilgrims in the albergues. Some started in Arles, some closer. But as I recall all of them were returning to France from Puenta la Reina, as was one Russian Camino walker, whose focus was on the mountainous area of the Aragones. If French people who walk the Aragones only never get counted, then the statistics about that route may be very skewed. I did meet one Frenchwoman who was walking the Aragones alone but planned to go on to Santiago in a future year.
Today's walk was the end of the continually hilly bit. My current feeling is: very pretty, but hard on the knees. Facilities, water, food access were scarce. But if I could do it, anyone who wants to could. Go for it and buen Camino.

I'm in Sanguesa today and have been informed that the albergue in Monreal is closed. All the perigrinos here are scratching out new plans.

On a positive note, the water quality problem in Izco has been fixed.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, had a great stay there and then did a long day into Puente de la Reina.
Would you know If I could startvthis path on upcoming wednesday? Did you meet other people? Do you knoe if many albergues are closed??

Would you know If I could startvthis path on upcoming wednesday? Did you meet other people? Do you knoe if many albergues are closed??

Albergues will be open.
I've walked as late as starting in Jaca on October 10 with no problem until the wind, which picked up as a sandstorm between Sanguesa and Monreal and forced us to quit.

Usually albergues (some of them, mostly private) closes end of October. You'll be good until then.

Ultreia!

The only albergue I know for sure to be closed is the one in Monreal. There were always at least 5 people at night in the albiergues

The only albergue I know for sure to be closed is the one in Monreal. There were always at least 5 people at night in the albiergues
And one can just sleep on the albergue before that, right? This way continuing a bit longer on the next day..? So you would guess that if starting tomorrow id have people to walk with? Good news thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And one can just sleep on the albergue before that, right? This way continuing a bit longer on the next day..? So you would guess that if starting tomorrow id have people to walk with? Good news thank you!
Yes, I went from Sanguesa to Isco. The next logical stop would be Tiebas (22K). I was walking with someone that day and we made it to Puente de la Reina(41k). But that was an extraordinary day for me.

Arres was wonderful, a true child of San Juan Bautista at Granon. We pilgrims were shown around the village by a devoted hospitalero, who has turned an accident on the Primitivo and inability to walk into an opportunity to serve. The spirit of the place was palpable. Now, after a very hot dry walk to Artieda, I am at an Albergue whose spirit is very different - one of myriad rules enforced aggressively. I am a good girl, so I do not anticipate any problems. I shall get on with settling in. Later: they threw me out of the bar for the afternoon, so I guess I am not as good at following rules as I thought. I shall just have to find another bar.

I have heard several wonderful reports from veterans about Arrés so I am very happy to add this the list. I will be serving as a hospitalero there in the first half of June. I hope to be as helpful to the peregrines as the one you met. If anyone watching this thread has good links on Aragones, please send them. I've just been reviewing the few posts since getting confirmation of my assignment there. Keep thinking I'll trip across more general info, but it's sparse..like, I gather, the numbers of pilgrims on this section.

Buen Camino a todos! Courage! (pour les pèlerins)

I have heard several wonderful reports from veterans about Arrés so I am very happy to add this the list. I will be serving as a hospitalero there in the first half of June. I hope to be as helpful to the peregrines as the one you met. If anyone watching this thread has good links on Aragones, please send them. I've just been reviewing the few posts since getting confirmation of my assignment there. Keep thinking I'll trip across more general info, but it's sparse..like, I gather, the numbers of pilgrims on this section.

Buen Camino a todos! Courage! (pour les pèlerins)

Oh what a wonderful assignment, it's your lucky day. LTfit and I walked that route in 2015 and it was wonderful. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/our-camino-aragonés-june-2015.36782/

The night in Arres was a true highlight of my camino that summer, and I had already been walking for two or three weeks by the time I got there. Our little group had a wonderful evening. Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh what a wonderful assignment, it's your lucky day. LTfit and I walked that route in 2015 and it was wonderful. https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/our-camino-aragonés-june-2015.36782/

The night in Arres was a true highlight of my camino that summer, and I had already been walking for two or three weeks by the time I got there. Our little group had a wonderful evening. Buen camino, Laurie

Frankly, it was a total surprise...I figured I'd end up on CF. Hadn't a clue about Aragonés. I'd had a lovely experience at Zabaldika ...best welcome I ever received..in my life. Hope to be half a good as Tom and Nancy who were our lovely heospitaleros there...another donativo. Got great training from the Canadian Company of Pilgrims who trained them, though, so that's a good start. Can't wait. The little hillside spot is looking more inviting every day...my sense is that the relative quiet will be a blessing and a key criterion for me of a great pilgrim experience is the communal preparation of a meal so I'm happy to be there. Delighted to hear your Arrés was like my Zabaldika. Warm greetings and Buen Camino. :)) David.

For me personal there isn't really any difference between the two as for me all beauty (nature, created by humans etc) point me to God who has given us both the intelligence to appreciate beauty on an intellectual level and the capacity to enjoy it without analysing it. Buen Camino, SY
Beautifully put SYates...mirrors my feelings exactly. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

We are walking next September from Jaca to Santa Cilia and Sanguesa to Abinzado where according to Gronze there are several extended parts of 10-15km without services and would like to hear...
I'm walking the Aragones in April, probably starting in Somport. I'm trying to get an idea of the public transport I'll need. BTW, thanks to everyone for all the info in previous posts. I've...
An article yesterday about plans by the Government of Aragon to promote the Caminos which pass through the region. Better publicity for their albergues, improved signposting and the creation of a...
I've been working on stages from Oloron-Sainte-Marie, and have come up with this plan. I'm hoping that those experienced with this route can chime in on whether these stages sound reasonable, or...
Are there any rucksack services along the Aragones? I am walking the Frances with my daughter starting in Pamplona. I have six extra days before she arrives and I thought I spend them walking from...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back