• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in December

Juleskww

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hello everyone,

I walked the Camino Frances last summer. I fell in love with Galicia and the Camino experience and have an unexpected opportunity to walk from Burgos starting around the 16th December before returning to work in mid January. I was wondering if anybody else has walked or plans to walk at this time of year and what your experiences were!

My main concerns are obviously the weather, if any albergues will be open and if there will be anyone else walking. I plan to spend Christmas in Samos. I have been thinking of carrying a tent incase there is nowhere to stay one night. Any thoughts on this? Weight dilemma always on mind.

Any thoughts, recommendations or advice would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

Julia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Julia, here's a list of albergues open over the winter: http://www.aprinca.com/alberguesinvierno/

In case of closure, you could check for private albergues on Gronze (click on the albergue's name and then check to see "disponibilidad") or else go for a cheap hotel on booking.com. I would not recommend camping at this time of year. Not only because of the weather, but also because your pack's already going to be heavier with winter gear. You might luck out with some mild weather during the day, but in general you can expect it to get very cold at night. There will be lots of rain (especially in Galicia), and probably snow at the higher altitudes. Pilgrims were already experiencing snow in O'Cebreiro last month.

A winter camino can be very physically and mentally challenging, but also rewarding. And there's a real sense of fellowship when you meet up with other pilgrims in the evening.

(As an aside: have you considered walking a different camino path this time? It's much sunnier in the south of Spain, for example - I'm thinking of the Via de la Plata from Seville... or even a coastal camino, given it's generally milder - albeit possibly wetter - on the coast?)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I will be walking from SdC to Muxia/Finisterre from 28th dec to 2nd jan. I have always walked between april and Sept on the Francais previously. I am looking forward to this different Camino and all it brings. I will be thinking of you. Buen Camimo!

I am walking from Leon at the moment. So far all the municipals have been open and very few of the privates. Gronze is not always completely accurate as the private albergues sometimes have to close as there are just too few pilgrims to justify the heating bill. So there is a lot less choice of accommodation but so far the accommodation has been good and warm. Overall a fab experience, just go for it. Buen Camino.

I fell in love with Galicia and the Camino experience and have an unexpected opportunity to walk from Burgos starting around the 16th December before returning to work in mid January. I was wondering if anybody else has walked or plans to walk at this time of year and what your experiences were!
My main concerns are obviously the weather, if any albergues will be open and if there will be anyone else walking. I plan to spend Christmas in Samos. I have been thinking of carrying a tent incase there is nowhere to stay one night. Any thoughts on this? Weight dilemma always on mind.
Any thoughts, recommendations or advice would be appreciated.
I walked the Coastal Portuguese this Jan so can only speak about Galicia. Great experience overall, all the municipal ones were open, some private as well. Weather: better then I expected, I posted about it here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...r-those-who-consider-walking-in-winter.65099/ I walked on a budget and cooked most of the way but I wouldn't take the tent to save money there. I think it could be possible to find smth on the way or walk several km further to the next albergue. Take warm clothes for the albergues instead as the heating might be tricky. I am a person who easily gets cold but I loved walking there in winter and would be doing it again if there is a chance! Bom Caminho! :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Julia I be a two or three days ahead of you, I'm starting from Fromista this Saturday.
I'm using the winter albergue guide which is given above and is a a sticky on the Albergue threads as a pointer to what lays ahead, I used it 3 years ago when I walked from Cacabelos on the 23rd December. I also walked 11 months prior to that starting from Leon on the 5th January and I might have used the guide then as well .In Galicia you can usually rely on the Xunta albergues as your get out of jail card on bottom out days such as the 23/24/25/31 December, and the 1/5/6 January but that doesn't mean other places won't be open, they may not advertise themselves or there may be a group booking which they have opened for and are taking other pilgrims as well. When I stayed in Triacastila on Xmas day, I realised after taking a stroll that two other places were open in addition to the Xunta Albergue, they were not advertised on the net or on posters in the way into town. Should you take a tent? I would say no, there won't be campsites open, and stealth camping aside from legal questions will have you pitching in out of the way dark, wet and muddy places. I've noticed your walking schedule which will be 35-40km a day to get to Samos for Xmas day. What happens if you can't go through the two main mountain passes because of adverse weather conditions, do you have spare time to sit it out waiting for it to break? I was going to start from Burgos on the 15th but felt sticking to an intensive walking schedule over Xmas was going to run into problems sooner or later, especially with the variable weather conditions about.
Buen Camino

I have walked several winter Caminos on the Frances and a tent isn't necessary. Save the money and the weight, keep an eye closely on the above mentioned Winter Albergues website and you will be fine. BC SY

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

Hi My name is Saara. I am going on 22nd April and would like to know how to avoid the crowds in the last 5 stages. It seems to be a bit painful for those walking for 4 to 5 weeks to suddenly be...
Hi, First Camino ….and in fact first time on a forum chat! I am going to do a (leisurely!) trail from Porto to Santiago mixing Litoral/Coastal, Central and Spiritual over three weeks ( including 2...
Trying to plan a for beginning of August 2024, just watched The Way and got inspired! Any rate….I have a couple months to prepare. I have found a way known online as “Easy Camino Frances”...
Hi! I'm planning my first Camino in June-July 2025. I'm a married father of 3 looking forward to my first solo hiking trip in 25 years. (Maybe when the kids are older, we'll do the Camino as a...
Hello kind people, I'll be doing my first Camino in May and I'm looking for some advice. We have a tight schedule due to work and we need to leave SDC to reach the airport in time for our flight...
Well, maybe not. My plans are to leave for France on May 4th, stay overnight in Paris, train to St. jean, and begin the Camino! and Thursday I came down with covid. and yes, it did indeed put me...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back