• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in early morning hours

JMB

Time of past OR future Camino
Hope to in August/September 2017
Because of the heat of the day, wondering if anyone has advice on walking in early morning hours--2 AM to 11 AM--as well as on how visible the Camino signage is during darkness. Trying to anticipate for my hike beginning 16 August. Thank you. JMB

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Please don't. [Unless you camp]. It's so antisocial for fellow pilgrims having people going to bed at 7pm and waking up at 2. I just walked on VDLP and it was 35c on a few days, and nobody got up before 6am, and that was just great. We all survived the heat. Mainly because we had had a good night's sleep, probably.

Because of the heat of the day, wondering if anyone has advice on walking in early morning hours--2 AM to 11 AM--as well as on how visible the Camino signage is during darkness. Trying to anticipate for my hike beginning 16 August. Thank you. JMB

Hi JMB,
Which camino are you walking?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi JMB,
Which camino are you walking?

Frances, starting in Pamplona. I’m trying to train and hike in the DC heat, but find I shall need to be cautious. Thus my query. Someone wrote that it will be antisocial, which I do not quite understand. I am a young-spirited 72-year-old lady hoping to endure and feel the cool mornings might be best for me. Is it possible, and will the signage be visible.

Hi @JMB. Firstly, I assume that you would not be booking a bed in an albergue as some of them are locked up after lights out and your fellow pilgrims in any albergue would not be happy with your departure at that time:D. I recall other people having raised a related question specifically about walking by night to enjoy the sight of the Milky Way, so try a search on 'walking in the dark' or at 'at night'. In bright sunlight it is still possible to miss an arrow and go off track for a while but the presence of other pilgrims ahead of you in the distance usually prevents that. Secondly there are some stretches that - in my opinion - would be downright dangerous to attempt in the dark, the problem then would not be about finding the yellow arrows but of making sure you don't fall on paths that are steep shiny rock just before Zubiri is one example, and the rocky descent with loose scree underfoot on the descent from Alto de Perdon is another. I am sure that more experienced pilgrims than myself will be posting answers soon, meanwhile Buen Camino!

Someone wrote that it will be antisocial, which I do not quite understand
If you stay in an albergue, you will be sleeping in a dormitory, and thus this approach would involve expecting everyone to be quiet when you want to go to bed, and then waking them up when you get up.
If you camp or stay in private rooms, getting up at whatever time you want is absolutely fine.

It also has another unsocial element, in that what are you going to do when you arrive at 11am? The next albergue won't be open yet. Will you sit on a bench or drink coffee alone for 3 hours? - Spanish lunch is around 2pm. You'll need to be in bed by 7 so how will you eat dinner except alone? You would be throwing your daily routine way out from everyone else, and would lose out on so much.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Frances, starting in Pamplona. I’m trying to train and hike in the DC heat, but find I shall need to be cautious. Thus my query. Someone wrote that it will be antisocial, which I do not quite understand. I am a young-spirited 72-year-old lady hoping to endure and feel the cool mornings might be best for me. Is it possible, and will the signage be visible.

I asked the question because the heat differs depending on where you walk. Via de la Plata, Camino del Levante tend to be much hotter in Summer for instance than the camino del Norte...
To avoid the heat on the camino francés one year (2012), I did start walking very early, around 5 ish. It is pitch black of course so you need to take extra care not to trip, on stones or tree roots....I never got lost in the dark but I often checked the road to take the previous evening, how to walk out of a town for ex.
I have walked it three times, always in July/August, a pilgrim friend of mine has walked it 7 times and that year was the only time the temperatures were very high.
I personally wouldn't recommend starting as early as 2am, one hour of walking in the dark is demanding enough....You may not find the heat that bad although it's difficult to tell of course.
Have you thought of taking an umbrella? It does make a big difference.

I walked the Frances in June/July, started at 6am daily, and finished between 11-1pm. I never really found it too hot, especially with a hat and breathable clothing.
Monica

I walked the Frances in June/July, started at 6am daily, and finished between 11-1pm. I never really found it too hot, especially with a hat and breathable clothing.
Monica

Thank you Monica. I’ll have to wing it :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The exact best time to get up is to time it so you will walk out of the village with the street lights, and then first light comes just as you leave town, to see where you are going. This means leaving 15 minutes before first light, in most cases, unless you are walking out of a big city.
IMG_2539.jpg

Hello JMB. My first thought (beyond heat/ waymark concerns) would be that you would miss so much, if you walked primarily in the dark. The landscapes, villages, people, cafe stops / blue skied, sunny days are a such a pleasurable part of the camino and (for me) add so much to the daily walk. I have walked three times in the summer and on days when the heat forecast was high, I would leave an hour or so before sunrise and try to finish by noon for the day. That being said there were a couple of days I would leave earlier to experience walking under the stars. I did have to be extra vigilant in watching the path for uneven ground and kept my flashlight ready to check for waymarks. Personally I wouldn't want to walk that way every day but we all have different reasons and needs for our walk don't we? So I would say...yes, it is possible if that is the journey you need to take. All of the reasons mentioned already by others re: albergues (consideration of others) / sleeping / dangers in the dark, are very valid though and should be considered.

Dear JMB,

I am just back home in the U.S. after walking from St. Jean Pied de Port to Fromista (walked from Ponferrada to Santiago in 2016). I can think of several areas where I have walked that I would not want to attempt to navigate during the early morning hours you have suggested. As well as the Camino Frances is marked, there are plenty of ways to miss the markers in broad daylight, much less at night. Also, you would miss some of the very things you probably hope to see on your journey, not to mention as others did, many of the people you might like to meet. I can also think of some dodgy terrain where being able to see where my feet were going was not only helpful, but critical for me.

Not accounting for what may be some unhappy bunk mates at your albergues, perhaps getting started around 6am would help? That's about an hour before sunrise at the time of year. You should be able to get six hours of walking before things heat up too much. As much as I can't imagine standing up on El Perdon in the darkness seeing almost nothing, I can imagine even less the very difficult walk down from there, where it is a fairly steep decent and large, loose rocks. Might you have enough days available to you to shorten your walking time on particularly hot days?

Okay, to offer my own particular answer your very direct question: yes, I would get lost if I were trying to walk the Camino Frances for hours on end in the darkness. I would also add substantially to the risk of injuring myself.

Here's hoping all works out well on your Camino.

Hello JMB. My first thought (beyond heat/ waymark concerns) would be that you would miss so much, if you walked primarily in the dark. The landscapes, villages, people, cafe stops / blue skied, sunny days are a such a pleasurable part of the camino and (for me) add so much to the daily walk. I have walked three times in the summer and on days when the heat forecast was high, I would leave an hour or so before sunrise and try to finish by noon for the day. That being said there were a couple of days I would leave earlier to experience walking under the stars. I did have to be extra vigilant in watching the path for uneven ground and kept my flashlight ready to check for waymarks. Personally I wouldn't want to walk that way every day but we all have different reasons and needs for our walk don't we? So I would say...yes, it is possible if that is the journey you need to take. All of the reasons mentioned already by others re: albergues (consideration of others) / sleeping / dangers in the dark, are very valid though and should be considered.

You make a lot of sense. Thank you for taking the time to write. This will be a new adventure for me. Ciao, JMB

Can I point out here just in case anyone is confused, that first light and sunrise are not the same thing. First light is when you can first see without a flashlight. Sunrise is when you start to see the sun coming up beyond the horizon. I love walking before sunrise but don't like it before first light. I don't think anyone has yet mentioned the danger of being run over, unless you have reflective clothing.

Dear JMB,

I am just back home in the U.S. after walking from St. Jean Pied de Port to Fromista (walked from Ponferrada to Santiago in 2016). I can think of several areas where I have walked that I would not want to attempt to navigate during the early morning hours you have suggested. As well as the Camino Frances is marked, there are plenty of ways to miss the markers in broad daylight, much less at night. Also, you would miss some of the very things you probably hope to see on your journey, not to mention as others did, many of the people you might like to meet. I can also think of some dodgy terrain where being able to see where my feet were going was not only helpful, but critical for me.

Not accounting for what may be some unhappy bunk mates at your albergues, perhaps getting started around 6am would help? That's about an hour before sunrise at the time of year. You should be able to get six hours of walking before things heat up too much. As much as I can't imagine standing up on El Perdon in the darkness seeing almost nothing, I can imagine even less the very difficult walk down from there, where it is a fairly steep decent and large, loose rocks. Might you have enough days available to you to shorten your walking time on particularly hot days?

Okay, to offer my own particular answer your very direct question: yes, I would get lost if I were trying to walk the Camino Frances for hours on end in the darkness. I would also add substantially to the risk of injuring myself.

Here's hoping all works out well on your Camino.

I thank you for writing, with such good advice. I do want to respect all pilgrims and starting at 6 seems just fine. Ciao, JMB

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
.... That being said there were a couple of days I would leave earlier to experience walking under the stars. I did have to be extra vigilant in watching the path for uneven ground and kept my flashlight ready to check for waymarks ...

One of the greatest experiences of my Camino trips has been setting out around 4 a.m. on a clear, calm night with a full (or nearly full) moon. Not every night, of course; just once per trip.

Once outside the lights of the town one's eyes become accustomed very quickly to the moonlight and it is quite easy to make one's way. A torch is a necessity to double check for the yellow arrows or when one is going through a wooded area or difficult terrain but other than that it can be switched off and it is almost like walking in daylight.

Stopping and listening to the sounds of the night and staring up at the majesty of the heavens is a wonderful, numinous experience. One rarely comes across other walkers but I have seen the odd few in the distance from time to time, their torches making them look like fireflies.

And as astronomical twilight changes to civil twilight and then to dawn one has the glorious experience of walking into the light with all the added significance that the Camino brings to it.

It's not for the faint-hearted but if you are brave enough to do it you will never forget it.

And no, don't do it if you are staying in an albergue - you will invariably upset other pilgrims.

Hi, it's not wise to walk that early.
It's dark and some parts can be dangerous to walk .
But at the end you and you alone have to make the decission what you want to do .

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino , Peter.

Hi - walking at 2am would mean missing out on meeting lots of people, both on the trail itself (you'd be walking pretty much alone) and at the other end of the day in the albergue (you'd need to be sleeping before most others). For me, these things are way too important a part of the camino experience. I would just walk shorter days - starting between 6-7am and finishing before 12-1pm. Walking between 7am and 12 noon would still leave you a good 5 hours on the trail. If you walk at a speed of between 3km/h and 5km/h, you'd cover 15 to 25km per day, entirely respectable distances which would allow you to complete a camino in a reasonable time frame, and at a pace which would let you make connections with lots of people, many of whom you might see again over multiple days, and who would contribute to your experience of the camino in lots of positive ways.

Also, as you may have already gathered, if you're in any type of shared accommodation, some people may get pretty hostile if you wake them in the early hours before setting out for the day...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi - walking at 2am would mean missing out on meeting lots of people, both on the trail itself (you'd be walking pretty much alone) and at the other end of the day in the albergue (you'd need to be sleeping before most others). For me, these things are way too important a part of the camino experience. I would just walk shorter days - starting between 6-7am and finishing before 12-1pm. Walking between 7am and 12 noon would still leave you a good 5 hours on the trail. If you walk at a speed of between 3km/h and 5km/h, you'd cover 15 to 25km per day, entirely respectable distances which would allow you to complete a camino in a reasonable time frame, and at a pace which would let you make connections with lots of people, many of whom you might see again over multiple days, and who would contribute to your experience of the camino in lots of positive ways.

Also, as you may have already gathered, if you're in any type of shared accommodation, some people may get pretty hostile if you wake them in the early hours before setting out for the day...

THANK YOU. I’LL DO MY BEST TO ADAPT :)

Hi, it's not wise to walk that early.
It's dark and some parts can be dangerous to walk .
But at the end you and you alone have to make the decission what you want to do .

Wish you a wonderful time and a Buen Camino , Peter.

THANK YOU PETER. :)

Please don't... quite simply it's not safe is yiunare on your own, never mind upsetting sleeping fellow pilgrims! Whatever you decide, Buen Camino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Monica

This is so reassuring because this is exactly my time frame and walking plan. I know temperatures vary from day to day, month to month and year to year, so I am not expecting a set temp range. However, I am used to a little heat and will have a hat and breathable clothing. Thanks for posting.

Fortunately the Camino is not a walk along city streets. A lot of the places where you'll be sleeping will be hill towns. The descents from these towns to the path are often steep and uneven with loose stones and rocks. They are not places you want to be in the pitch black even with a good torch.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Can I suggest that it makes little sense to start that early? Unless you plan to walk until about 2 - 3 PM you may not find a hostel open to book into. Some don't open until later in the day.

In Spain sunrise and sunset occur much later by the clock.

For example: In Washington, DC today (May 21, 2017) sunrise was at 5:50 and sunset will be at 8:19 (There will be 14 hours and 28 minutes with the sun in the sky.)

In Leon sunrise was at 6:54 and sunset will be at 9:43 (Leon, at a slightly higher latitude, will have an extra 21 minutes of daylight.)

So, if you want to hit the trail at sunrise that will be at 6 in DC but at 7 in Spain. You can get up an hour later than you would at home.

The reason for this is that Spain is not in the time zone that people would expect it to be. With this map ( https://www.timeanddate.com/time/map/ ) you can see that it would be expected to be in the UTC timezone but instead it uses the +2 zone.

Hello myself and my sister are from Ireland so we are used to very cool temperatures, we got up at 6am and were finished most days by 3pm, we wore light clothing, drank plenty of water, walked at our own pace, met some fantastic people while eating lunch and dinner and this added to our whole fantastic experience, you would miss out on so much if you walked extremely early

JMB, I've completed 2 Caminos and will start my third on June 3. I start almost everyday at 5am. You will find several people starting at 5am, especially on the longer stages or forecasted hotter than average days. I have a few friends who have walked the Camino 7 times. They have a saying; "Walking before 10am is free for your body". They explained how walking in the morning is less taxing on your body because the cool air is filled with morning dew and your body isn't using all of its energy just to fight the heat. I've learned this to be the great advice. I have my headlamp (Black Diamond Spot) for the time from 5am-6am. After that you can see without additional light.

In summary, my ideal start time is 5am.

This is so reassuring because this is exactly my time frame and walking plan. I know temperatures vary from day to day, month to month and year to year, so I am not expecting a set temp range. However, I am used to a little heat and will have a hat and breathable clothing. Thanks for posting.
When I walked in 2012 there was a heat wave in Spain. Just eat lots of oranges and drink plenty of water!
Buen Camino! Wish I was going again!
Monica

Exactly my schedule- between 6-1:00ish every day; sometime shorter, not often longer. I walked about 15-25km/day and made it from SJPdP to Santiago in 40 days that included three very short days (about 3-4 hours walking) and two rest days. As I got better at walking I went from 3km/hr to about 4-5km/hr, depending on the terrain.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Last year when I walked I got lost at least 3 times during daylight hours.....and I sometimes get lost walking from my bedroom to the kitchen at home at night......so I would be hopeless walking the Camino at night....and it's always good to be able to ask for directions from a helpful local...are locals about at 2am?

No way walking in the dark is very dangerous. The chance of falling and damaging something is to big
I liked walking early morning starting soon as it got light. If it gets too hot, find an albergue and rest the remaining day. It's not a race.

I have walked in Navarra during a heat wave and I can HONESTLY say that the only way to walk 20+km each day was too start out very early - even 4 or 5am ......I have no problem with those that got up ....I even encouraged them to put the light on and get themselves organized........... it was truly suicidal to walk at midday?
May I just add , for those that do not believe in 'Block out' lotion , some fair pilgrims missed some parts on their bodies and burnt blisters! My socks migrated down by just a few centimeters - BURNT!!
When it really is hot , pack your pack the night before , slip on a light layer ....drag your gear out of the dorm to the living area and get going .............. However?! Single females? ....... get a buddy - not that Spain is a mecca for crime but you will feel safer.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I think you will disturb others who are sleeping at 2 am, . 6 or even 5:30 would be more considerate. Also, signage is hard to see before sunrises. I got lost twice, leaving before it was light enough

JMB, I've completed 2 Caminos and will start my third on June 3. I start almost everyday at 5am. You will find several people starting at 5am, especially on the longer stages or forecasted hotter than average days. I have a few friends who have walked the Camino 7 times. They have a saying; "Walking before 10am is free for your body". They explained how walking in the morning is less taxing on your body because the cool air is filled with morning dew and your body isn't using all of its energy just to fight the heat. I've learned this to be the great advice. I have my headlamp (Black Diamond Spot) for the time from 5am-6am. After that you can see without additional light.

In summary, my ideal start time is 5am.

Thank you for your advice. Walking in the cool hours will be best. Ciao, JMB

I asked the question because the heat differs depending on where you walk. Via de la Plata, Camino del Levante tend to be much hotter in Summer for instance than the camino del Norte...
To avoid the heat on the camino francés one year (2012), I did start walking very early, around 5 ish. It is pitch black of course so you need to take extra care not to trip, on stones or tree roots....I never got lost in the dark but I often checked the road to take the previous evening, how to walk out of a town for ex.
I have walked it three times, always in July/August, a pilgrim friend of mine has walked it 7 times and that year was the only time the temperatures were very high.
I personally wouldn't recommend starting as early as 2am, one hour of walking in the dark is demanding enough....You may not find the heat that bad although it's difficult to tell of course.
Have you thought of taking an umbrella? It does make a big difference.

I agree with above fellow walker...

In my humble experience early morning hours from 5 on are the best!! Birds go awal/hawock and singing just for you....horizon clears up and a new day awakens....

Pack the evening before to go absolute stealth-mode when leaving dorm....vibration only as alarm on smartphone....your little LED light in reach from getgo...also used to double check crossings.....

It will bee sweet and well worth it..

Go for it

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I agree with above fellow walker...

In my humble experience early morning hours from 5 on are the best!! Birds go awal/hawock and singing just for you....horizon clears up and a new day awakens....

Pack the evening before to go absolute stealth-mode when leaving dorm....vibration only as alarm on smartphone....your little LED light in reach from getgo...also used to double check crossings.....

It will bee sweet and well worth it..

Go for it

I shall do my best to be up by 5/530 and under way. Thank you for your helpful words.

Just awful idea...you see nothing so you may as well stay on your treadmill at home. Arrows are hard to find and footing will be a problem. I swollen st 6:30 and walked until 2pm each day. It can get hot but such a more visible and fulfilling walk. Many got up at 4 am and were nearly beaten to death by us who want our full sleep.

Ridiculous idea for so many reasons. If you walk from about 7-8am and walk for 4 hours you would have covered about 20kms by midday so even if you need to go 25kms you should finish about 1...not the hottest part of the day by far (usually 4 or5pm). I've walked all or part of the VDLP about 6 times,always in summer and didn't find the heat oppressive. At the start it was reaching 38 degrees by mid afternoon but in Galicia the Swedes I walked with all bought gloves because it was so cold....like I said many other reasons too

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just awful idea...you see nothing so you may as well stay on your treadmill at home. Arrows are hard to find and footing will be a problem. I swollen st 6:30 and walked until 2pm each day. It can get hot but such a more visible and fulfilling walk. Many got up at 4 am and were nearly beaten to death by us who want our full sleep.
Yes, completely agree. You will lose your way in the dark and only alienate everyone in the albergue. If you start early at the break of dawn, take breakfast an hour or so later when you reach a town, the destination will be reached early to mid afternoon. This leaves plenty of time to socialize and explore!

It's Northern Spain...you are not crossing the Sahara

If you think that you won't be able to cope with the heat and if you are flexible with time, why not consider walking in late Apr-May-begining of June? If you still have time only in the mid of the summer I would leave the albergue earlier then most people in several cases: if you pack your backpack in the evening and leave silently, no breakfast, no lights, no noisy plastic bags, then it could be fine. 4-5 am might be ok to leave on some days if there is a real heatwave and also if you know the elevation profile and difficulty of today's stage and if you are sure that you can make it alone safely. But I wouldn't walk like that every day as you need a higher concentration for walking at night that might get you tired faster in the long run. Be felxible, alternate, and be considerate to others and open for communication on the road. It'll all be fine.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, I walked alone in August from SJPP to Santiago in 29 days. I didn't feel safe walking in the dark so left at 7am and stopped most days before 3pm. I got mildly lost 3 times in total during the day. I thought it was sensible to wait until daylight in light of the pilgrim being murdered in 2015. I did have a incident with a beggar in a isolated area during the day.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back