• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in Fall: Hot in Andalucia, Cold in Galicia??

dd_soleil

Time of past OR future Camino
Via de la Plata (2009); Via de la Plata (2012)
Hi all,

I'll be starting either from Sevilla or Cadiz (topic for another post!) around the 10th of September.

I'm thinking, it will still be hot in Andalucia, yes?

But, by the time I get to Galicia (I am a slow walker!) it will be wet and cold?

I walked the VdlP from Zamora in July of 2009 and barely used my heavy clothes-- it was so hot!!! And rainy in Galicia, but still usually warm.

I am wondering how much heavy clothes I will need to bring for cold weather? I have a rain jacket and pants, and a lightweight fleece and either a down vest or a lightweight down jacket. Do I need thermals as well?

Any advice on what to pack for the weather will be much appreciated!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi dd_soleil!
You are probably right about Andalucia being hot. I imagine you will be arriving in Galicia mid to late October!? The last 2 years October has been dry and warm, at least during the day, that doesn't guarantee it will be the same this year but I would think that the clothes you are planning to carry will be ample for during the day, the nights may be chilly in some places, it depends where you plan to stay. Thermals could be useful for sleeping in :)
having said that I did the VdlP (Sevilla to caceres) this year in March, days were very warm but some Albergues were very cold at night. This may not be the case in autumn as houses will have warmed up over the summer, but old houses are designed to keep the heat out!
Sorry this isn't all that helpful, don't forget though that you can always buy something cheap in a market if you need an extra layer later on :)

It very well may be cool/cold in the evenings and mornings. Three things I find great:

* Gloves
* Arm compression sleeves
* Calf compression sleeves

The arm and calf sleeves can be found at running stores, as they were designed to keep you warm without needing a full top (arms) and to keep muscles warm and loose (calves). But they're both great at keeping you warm, plus they're smaller and lighter-weight than packing full thermals.

Melanie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello Soleil!
I see you have done the VdlP already.....
I start at Sevilla on 7 Sep so will be in Galicia in mid Oct roughly. I am taking a shirt (being worn), a sleeveless pullover, a fleecetop and trousers for the colder part of the journey. A sleeping bag (lightweight) is for night use. Based on my experience on the Camino Frances in 2005 this was largely adequate in Galicia when I finished at Santiago on 14 Nov. I did have gloves then and a woolly hat which I used but this time I am cutting down on weight so I am taking a risk that it will not be too cold. Lowest temperature last time was 0C.
If necessary one can buy extra clothing while en route.
gb

I walked from Valencia starting in early August 2009 and concluding with the Sanabres at the end of October. It was cold in Galicia at the end, especially in the early mornings. I got by without anything too heavy - just layering up, and a rain suit (rather than a poncho) comes in handy for this. Take a light hat or a buff. You can use socks as gloves.

For sleeping, I took a silk liner, a very thin sleeping bag, and a very lightweight bivi bag. This meant I coped with all conditions from summer heat to freezing nights.

This means a bit of extra weight but I was glad of it. The other option would be to see if you can buy some more clothes in one of the cities or large towns.

Hope it goes well,

Andy

Thanks for all the tips! I get very cold so I think I will bring my light fleece, gloves, light thermal shirt/tights and hat along with the rain suit and *maybe* a sleeveless vest. Great tips everyone!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back