• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in February

Madelon

Hey people,

I'm planning to walk from Sain Jean to Santiago next month (that is, february), but me being inexperienced I would love to hear your view, regarding;

1; the weather - will it be too cold? I checked a lot of internet sites about the weather in Spain, they seem to tell a lot of things - one site told me that it's 20 degrees celsius in San Sebastian right now - but if we're assuming it's around the freezing point, can it be done by a ''normal" person?

2; the auberges - will they be open? I would assume they're closed... I would prefer not to bring a tent, let alone sleep "outside" in February. Orrr can that be done? ;)

3; other pilgrims - will they be there? I wouldn't mind to walk alone, but still I would like to know I'm not the only one out there.

I read an article, I think it's a little old, but it sounded very positive and it encouraged me to just GO and have a nice experience. Tell me what you think :). http://www.csj.org.uk/bull-arts/a-raju-art.htm

I'm sorry not all the questions refer to the weather, but I think it's good to have this all in one topic.

Thanks a lot!
Madelon

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
In February 2009, 497 pilgrims arrived at the Pilgrim Office having walked the Camino Frances (243 walked only the Galician part), so you will not have many companions. Accommodations often will be closed, so you should phone ahead and check with the hospitaleros when you stop. February is the middle of winter, so expect some cold places. Unheated accommodations may mean sleeping temperatures barely above freezing, but you will be indoors! Higher elevations may be closed by weather, so stopping for a few days may be necessary in order to be safe. Snow obscures trail markings, though roads and the walking route often are obvious even under the snow, so maps for alternate routes would be useful.

Hey, thanks for posting.

falcon269 said:
Accommodations often will be closed, so you should phone ahead and check with the hospitaleros when you stop.

Does that mean that bringing a tent is absolutely necessary, in case they're not open? If yes - can I put up the tent somewhere in the village (maybe even along the road?! or is that illegal in Spain?)

falcon269 said:
Higher elevations may be closed by weather, so stopping for a few days may be necessary in order to be safe. Snow obscures trail markings, though roads and the walking route often are obvious even under the snow, so maps for alternate routes would be useful.

Higher elevations, you mean mountain roads..? and for example, they can be closed because of the snow? just so I know what you mean ;).

One of my friends tells me it's safer to start in Pamplona, because of the snow. Can you agree on that?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If it were me, I would not consider a tent in the winter.
I think I would freeze! Plus dragging around a cold, wet tent doesn't seem like fun to me.

Just plan well, call ahead and make reservations.
You may have to stay in hotels or hostels occasionally.

Madelon said:
Hey, thanks for posting.

falcon269 said:
Accommodations often will be closed, so you should phone ahead and check with the hospitaleros when you stop.

Does that mean that bringing a tent is absolutely necessary, in case they're not open? If yes - can I put up the tent somewhere in the village (maybe even along the road?! or is that illegal in Spain?)

falcon269 said:
Higher elevations may be closed by weather, so stopping for a few days may be necessary in order to be safe. Snow obscures trail markings, though roads and the walking route often are obvious even under the snow, so maps for alternate routes would be useful.

Higher elevations, you mean mountain roads..? and for example, they can be closed because of the snow? just so I know what you mean ;).

One of my friends tells me it's safer to start in Pamplona, because of the snow. Can you agree on that?

Much of the info you want is already on the site, tho' you have good advice given here on your thread.

Go to St Jean; if the way is blocked, then go by road to Roncesvalles. If not, walk the way. Although it's the Pyrenees, it's only a low foothills section, and not the craggy part. It's actually a grassy hillside. If you're uneasy about St Jean, then go to Pamplona. My point really is, just go -that's the main thing.

A tent is heavy to carry, and you must also carry the rest of the gear such as cooking stuff , water etc. But the real bummer is the long nights in the tent because of the early darkness and late dawn. Not good. The illegal bit doesnt matter; finding a spot is not easy though.

Take the advice already given, and read round this site.

Have a good time, for whatever you do will be fine I think. Let us know how you got on.

Buen camino.

Personally, I prefer leaving from Pamplona. I found that the benefits of crossing the Pyrenees were dwarfed by the difficulty, but to others, it is the highlight of the Camino. Leaving from Pamplona gives you a more gradual entry into the walk, with some hills and some flat land. If you look at the route on topographic maps here using the IGN maps, you can see the type of terrain:

http://maps.peterrobins.co.uk/e/90.html

Purists are going to go ballistic at this recommendation, so buckle your seat belt!!!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hey all of you!

Thanks for all of your advice (and Falcon, thanks for the dangerous Pamplona advice ;)). I decided to just go, so I just booked my plane ticket to Santander. I will stay there one night (couchsurfing), and the next morning I'll take the bus to Pamplona. Leaving February 2nd :), and the flight only cost me 21 euros. Budget travelll!

When the time comes, I'll probably post in the equipment board, unsure about my backpack ;).

Hi Madelon. I'm about to walk from Pamplona in a couple weeks, having gone from Le Puy to Pamplona last year. The pass at Roncesvaux was closed in mid-May and I was advised to take the road. That alternative way was a fine walk in its own right, by no means all road-bashing.

I'm taking a down sleeping bag this time, and a sil nylon tarp that weighs very little and is designed to be used with trekking poles. I'm one of the few who doesn't like floored tents anyway. I never travel without my Trangia Mini, so cups of tea and soup will be easy. I just like to have those options, though I'm unlikely to be sleeping out much.

You'll probably overtake me on the trail. Just about everybody does.

I plan to walk from Pamplona around the first week of June. This will be my first Camino. Anyone who has completed this route and can offer their experience(s) on anything at all would be fantastico!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked in March of 2008. Before I went, people had said that many albergues would be closed that time of year. There were plenty of albergues that were opened. Although some albergues will be closed, I think you will find that there are enough open to accomodate you and I don't think a tent would be necessary. At each albergue, the hospitalero will likely be able to tell you which of the albergues are opened/closed on the road ahead of you. Although it was cold, at times, in March, most of the albergues provided plenty of blankets and most were heated. There were only a couple of places out of a month that were cold (and it was mainly getting out of bed in the morning when it felt cold...not while sleeping). I started in Roncesvalles and there was snow in a few of the places with higher elevation, generally in those cases (where there was snow on the camino) the pilgrims walked on the main road instead of on the camino path in order to avoid deep snow. It was not a problem. In theory, February should be colder with more snow but the weather is so strange, it could be warmer. I think you will find some other pilgrims...probably you will be alone walking (if you choose to be) but will meet up with a few other pilgrims at the albergues each night. I would plan to start in St. Jean and if the weather is bad, just go by bus to Roncesvalles or farther along and start there. I'm sure it will work out. Good luck to you.

"I'm one of the few who doesn't like floored tents anyway. "

Sinking with your down bag into the 3 inches of soft squishy sticky mud might change your mind about that! :lol:

Please keep us updated on your progress.

I began the Camino in early March 2010, at times encountering some exceptionaly harsh weather both in getting to SJPP for the start, and at certain areas along the way. Later came to learn that the area had experienced some of the heaviest snow and strongest winds in decades during that particular month.

For some reason expecting springtime conditions I took no gloves, no warm clothing to speak of, and was generally ill equiped for the conditions that I encountered. Despite all of that I managed to get through and thouroughly enjoyed the entire experience.

My message here is that I imagine that typical February weather conditions are probably not likely to be much worse, if as bad as they were in March of 2010. Forget the tent. While there will be some alburgues that are not open, those that remain open are plentiful enough. Alternatively, if you run into any problem go to a bar/cafe and inquire about accomodations. If there are no official alburgues, persons there will either put you up or help you find a place for the night. No one will let you freeze. It's amazing how people will look after you.

Take warm clothing, including gloves! Unlike myself, to most people that it common sense.

There will definately be fewer people than at other times of year, but you won't be the only one out there. There is more of a sense of a pioneering spirit and you'll enjoy meeting up with people to compare war stories.

Respect the weather, particularly when setting out to cross the mountains. Take any advice from the local people.

You have the right idea entirely .... just GO and have a nice experience. You surely will!!!

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hiya people,

Just days before my leaving :). I bought a book about the route, where I can see the heights I'll have to conquer, and which auberge will be open when. Verrry good book to take with me! I'll be starting from Burgos, where today seems to have fallen a lot of snow. Oops. First week I'll take a friend, so I won't be completely alone. Aaaannd my plane from Santiago leaves the 28th, which gives me like 25 walking days :). More than enough eh?

That should be enough time, but do not expect the book to be correct. Telephone ahead each day to verify that a place is open. Since many places do not open until late afternoon, a good time to call is between 5 and 6 pm.

Have fun!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
i've also been thinking about feb, 2012 tho, have been discouraged by the foreboding undertones of bad weather reports, etc...& here this page is with all this great advice & positive encouragement.
nice one
so, posting to say thanx for the good question & for the excellent answers, information contained within.
madelon, how did the feb camino treat you??

Hey

Yesterday i booked flights to Madrid, leaving from Finland 27th of february. im spending few nights in madrid at my friend and then going to pamplona and starting the Camino. but im only walking for two weeks for a start.
i really got more encouragement from this page and you guys. thanks for that
anyone going in march?

I will start my first Camino from Roncesvalles on 6 Feb 2013. Bit scared of the cold as I live in Cape Town South Africa where it is Summer peak now. Will anyone be on the trail with me?

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Gideondewit said:
I will start my first Camino from Roncesvalles on 6 Feb 2013. Bit scared of the cold as I live in Cape Town South Africa where it is Summer peak now. Will anyone be on the trail with me?

Gideondewit,

You must be very excited to be leaving so soon!!

Winter is a wonderful time to walk. However you must be prepared for varied weather. Nights can be extremely cold with freezing rain or snow. Be prepared! Learn to read the sky for possible storms.

Ask advice of the locals regarding the state of the path and weather forecasts. In bad weather many steep descents on the camino would be treacherous and following the small parallel roads might be necessary.

Be sure to read the encyclopedic information on Winter Walking compiled by Sillydoll who is a Forum member at http://amawalker.blogspot.com/ Another good account of winter walking by a Forum member is the current 2013 blog http://agoodwalkunspoiled.blogspot.com/ .

You will find the welcome at those albergues which are open to be most sincere. Not all albergues will be open but the hospitaleros usually know who is on the next stage. Most will either be heated or have blankets.

May you have a safe and warm Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

We r walking from Leon to Santiago in February 2014. Good to hear cold but still able to do. What is this track like? We r traveling with children too.
Advice welcomed. How many kms per day?
Thanks
Amanda

nenkes71 said:
We r walking from Leon to Santiago in February 2014. Good to hear cold but still able to do. What is this track like? We r traveling with children too.
Advice welcomed. How many kms per day?
Thanks
Amanda

Amanda,

I should like to add the following firsthand comments to my above earlier post dated 2 February 2013.

Walking in February can be extremely hazardous; BE PREPARED. In bad weather many steep descents on the camino would be treacherous and following smaller parallel roads necessary. Even without snow the wind blowing from the west can be brutal.

Extremely difficult stretches in snow on your planned route from Leon could include climbing and descending Monte Irago near Foncebadon and, of course, up to and down O Cebriero. After storms walking on the road and NOT the camino would be a must.

Even late last November my climb up to O Cebriero was packed with snow. Twice during earlier winter caminos I have sat out true blizzards; in Villafranca Montes de Oca, February 25, 26, 2006 and Foncebadón, March 5,6, 2009. You can see the snow and read my blog accounts of these three memorable storms at >> http://mermore.blogspot.fr/2011/04/aavmo.html. Luckily open albergues offered welcoming shelter, heat and some companionship.

This past late winter the Napoleon route from SJPdP to Roncevalles was filled with several meters of snow and in effect closed to pilgrims thus necessitating the use of the Valcarlos alternate. Although this is not part of your planned route you should read about this situation to learn more about the hidden dangers of snow and white-out conditions. See Forum topic. >> el-camino-frances/topic16961.html

Know your limits, stay safe and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Hey people,

I'm planning to walk from Sain Jean to Santiago next month (that is, february), but me being inexperienced I would love to hear your view, regarding;

1; the weather - will it be too cold? I checked a lot of internet sites about the weather in Spain, they seem to tell a lot of things - one site told me that it's 20 degrees celsius in San Sebastian right now - but if we're assuming it's around the freezing point, can it be done by a ''normal" person?

2; the auberges - will they be open? I would assume they're closed... I would prefer not to bring a tent, let alone sleep "outside" in February. Orrr can that be done? ;)

3; other pilgrims - will they be there? I wouldn't mind to walk alone, but still I would like to know I'm not the only one out there.

I read an article, I think it's a little old, but it sounded very positive and it encouraged me to just GO and have a nice experience. Tell me what you think :). http://www.csj.org.uk/bull-arts/a-raju-art.htm

I'm sorry not all the questions refer to the weather, but I think it's good to have this all in one topic.

Thanks a lot!
Madelon

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Good for you for taking this on, you're very brave. Just curious, why February? I am not inexperienced and I'm not sure I would take it on in February. It will be cold and probably wet from time to time. That can be a dangerous combination. Do you have any experience with cold climates? Are you from a cold climate?
As someone suggested, plan ahead and prepare. That's rule #1 in any type of adventure. Be flexible and know your limits and options for contingency plans should the need arise. What are your physical capabilities? You may discover that it is just too uncomfortable and you might decide sitting on a warm beach in the south is preferable. Don't allow your ego to make decisions for you.
You could carry a tent but camping OUTSIDE of established campgrounds is technically illegal in Spain and I only encountered one outside of SJPP. I wild camped some but there are sections where the terrain and/or landscape makes it difficult to hide out near villages or settlements. You could always ask locals if you can camp on their property.
I would also suggest traveling very light so you can move quickly or jump a bus, train or taxi easily in a pinch. By this I mean, carry appropriate clothing for the weather but leave the extras at home. If you have to bail out on the whole thing you can even ditch your pack if you're not carrying anything very valuable. You might discover that you need much less than you thought in your life.
Be aware that there are some remote stretches though they are few and far between. Ask yourself: Am I prepared to survive on my own if the proverbial doo doo hits the fan?
I don't want to frighten you but it is maybe not the optimal time for a novice... Spring is lovely, maybe you could hold off at least until late March or April. The Camino is challenging enough without adding the intensity of winter.
Keep us posted and Que se vaya con Dios,
Robin

Hey people,

Thanks a lot!
Madelon
Hey i have flights booked and will start walking Feb 28 2015 - Is anyone else walking from SJP?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hey i have flights booked and will start walking Feb 28 2015 - Is anyone else walking from SJP?

If you're from Brisbane then you likely don't have sufficient winter mountaineering experience to walk without first seeking and heeding local advice at the pilgrims office in SJPdP on the day of travel.

The route from SJPdP may be open but it is more likely too soon in the year. May I suggest that you have a plan B. Camino Vasco del Interior from Irun to Santo Domingo for example.

Hazards include using too much energy struggling through deep snow and subsequent hypothermia, sun burn on the roof of your mouth if you're lucky enough to have a bright sunny day, disorientation in cloud and whiteout blizzard conditions. Not sure if there is avalanche hazard on the Valcarlos route. And that's just day one ... This is not meant to dissuade you ... just keep in mind this is a potentially hazardous section.

Last edited by a moderator:

No harm done if you start from Pamplona.
Can be very treacherous at the start as we found out in April/May a few years ago.

** With the 3 days saved walk to Muxia
Safe flight and Camino.

If you're from Brisbane then you likely don't have sufficient winter mountaineering experience to walk without first seeking and heeding local advice at the pilgrims office in SJPdP on the day of travel.

The route from SJPdP may be open but it is more likely too soon in the year. May I suggest that you have a plan B. Camino Vasco del Interior from Irun to Santo Domingo for example.

Hazards include using too much energy struggling through deep snow and subsequent hypothermia, sun burn on the roof of your mouth if you're lucky enough to have a bright sunny day, disorientation in cloud and whiteout blizzard conditions. Not sure if there is avalanche hazard on the Valcarlos route. And that's just day one ... This is not meant to dissuade you ... just keep in mind this is a potentially hazardous section.

G'day Brisbanegee,

I can't really add much to the heaps of good advice on this, but here are a few thoughts.

I'm 69, fairly small (5'7" around 73kg) and I left St JpdeP on 28 February this year. The route over the Col was closed due to heavy snow, so it was up the valley, starting in rain which turned to snow halfway up. They opened the route later that week on a "your own risk" basis and a 43 year old man died. Aside from nine glorious cloudless days through La Rioja and the Meseta the weather was vile all the way. I had time constraints so got to Santiago in a shade over 26 days, had the best part of two days there and headed for Muxia. The weather on that stretch was even worse. I was told in A Coruna that it was the most severe Galician winter ever recorded.

Lessons I learnt. There's a trade-off between pack weight and survival equipment. I was carrying 16kg when I left StJpdeP and it was too much, even though 2kg of this was water. I posted some on at Burgos and again at Ponferrada and got it down to about 12kg but I was very marginally equipped for the weather, and was cold, wet and shivering most evenings when I stopped. So I had to keep moving on the track. Unfortunately I couldn't dispense with my three months supply of medication to cover all of my stay in Spain and this added a lot of weight. The wet problem was also my Goretex jacket, the third I've had all of which leaked like sieves. Next time I would consider a poncho, if I could find a durable one with a drawstring at the bottom. However, a few people with ponchos had them shredded by the wind. Upside was the cheap Aldi down sleeping bag I had for the trip. I slept warmly, occasionally too hot each night while others (to the extent there were others) shivered. And I managed to keep it dry!

Next, albergues. At the pilgrim office in StJpdeP they'll give you a list of the open and shut ones. Mine was pulped and useless before the end of the first day, so I copied some details off others. Not too accurate unfortunately, as some were closed, others open. Avoid the ones on the Brierley list if you can, although winter crowds were down. However in some of the villages you may find there is no source of food whatever, despite the albergue being open.

Next, technique for getting there in under 30 days. I gave up on planning destinations. I headed off in the dark between 6.15 and 6.45 most mornings and walked until about 2 or so in the afternoon, then taking stock of where I was and how I felt (break for breakfast at 10-ish when most things seemed to open). Generally I found somewhere to stay between one and one and a half hours after that. Hardly ever saw anyone else all day but commonly bumped into the same revolving group of around 20 or so at various times. A number of these did it a day or two quicker than me, but they were all younger, generally bigger, and some had done the walk half a dozen or more times (I felt like breaking their legs). A very few used the iron path for bits of it. If you're fit (say run/walk 8 to 10k daily) and don't generally suffer foot or leg problems 30 days or less shouldn't trouble you too much. If you are an experienced bushwalker the walk is long, but not particularly demanding, but there are some rough bits, such as on the track down from Cruz de Ferro (most used the road, practically no traffic). Whatever, avoid walking through snowdrifts etc particularly on rough tracks such as this. It's exhausting and dangerous also you don't know what lies beneath(I fell over many times).

Now, fitness issues. If you're as above, no problem but try to get in, say a weekly 20k walk carrying a pack. Otherwise a hike up Mt Coot-tha and back from the Botanic Gardens two or three times a week with a 12kg pack.

And finally (phew) the most important thing of all. Learn some Spanish. Practically no-one I found spoke any English. Given that the Bsques generally speak Basque and Spanish, the Galicians Galician and Spanish, the Catalans, Catalan and Spanish, it's understandable, and it is their country. A little basic Spanish will open up many doors and make a whole host of new friends.

On the way home, try to get to San Sebastian, short Euskotren (local service) to Hendaye then back to Paris. San Sebastian is all class. A Coruna is also lovely and it's within spitting distance by bus from Muxia. The walk from Fisterre to Muxia is gorgeous, lots of gum trees and only about 6 hours!

De colores

Bogong

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
G'day Brisbanegee,

I can't really add much to the heaps of good advice on this, but here are a few thoughts.

I'm 69, fairly small (5'7" around 73kg) and I left St JpdeP on 28 February this year. The route over the Col was closed due to heavy snow, so it was up the valley, starting in rain which turned to snow halfway up. They opened the route later that week on a "your own risk" basis and a 43 year old man died. Aside from nine glorious cloudless days through La Rioja and the Meseta the weather was vile all the way. I had time constraints so got to Santiago in a shade over 26 days, had the best part of two days there and headed for Muxia. The weather on that stretch was even worse. I was told in A Coruna that it was the most severe Galician winter ever recorded.

Lessons I learnt. There's a trade-off between pack weight and survival equipment. I was carrying 16kg when I left StJpdeP and it was too much, even though 2kg of this was water. I posted some on at Burgos and again at Ponferrada and got it down to about 12kg but I was very marginally equipped for the weather, and was cold, wet and shivering most evenings when I stopped. So I had to keep moving on the track. Unfortunately I couldn't dispense with my three months supply of medication to cover all of my stay in Spain and this added a lot of weight. The wet problem was also my Goretex jacket, the third I've had all of which leaked like sieves. Next time I would consider a poncho, if I could find a durable one with a drawstring at the bottom. However, a few people with ponchos had them shredded by the wind. Upside was the cheap Aldi down sleeping bag I had for the trip. I slept warmly, occasionally too hot each night while others (to the extent there were others) shivered. And I managed to keep it dry!

Next, albergues. At the pilgrim office in StJpdeP they'll give you a list of the open and shut ones. Mine was pulped and useless before the end of the first day, so I copied some details off others. Not too accurate unfortunately, as some were closed, others open. Avoid the ones on the Brierley list if you can, although winter crowds were down. However in some of the villages you may find there is no source of food whatever, despite the albergue being open.

Next, technique for getting there in under 30 days. I gave up on planning destinations. I headed off in the dark between 6.15 and 6.45 most mornings and walked until about 2 or so in the afternoon, then taking stock of where I was and how I felt (break for breakfast at 10-ish when most things seemed to open). Generally I found somewhere to stay between one and one and a half hours after that. Hardly ever saw anyone else all day but commonly bumped into the same revolving group of around 20 or so at various times. A number of these did it a day or two quicker than me, but they were all younger, generally bigger, and some had done the walk half a dozen or more times (I felt like breaking their legs). A very few used the iron path for bits of it. If you're fit (say run/walk 8 to 10k daily) and don't generally suffer foot or leg problems 30 days or less shouldn't trouble you too much. If you are an experienced bushwalker the walk is long, but not particularly demanding, but there are some rough bits, such as on the track down from Cruz de Ferro (most used the road, practically no traffic). Whatever, avoid walking through snowdrifts etc particularly on rough tracks such as this. It's exhausting and dangerous also you don't know what lies beneath(I fell over many times).

Now, fitness issues. If you're as above, no problem but try to get in, say a weekly 20k walk carrying a pack. Otherwise a hike up Mt Coot-tha and back from the Botanic Gardens two or three times a week with a 12kg pack.

And finally (phew) the most important thing of all. Learn some Spanish. Practically no-one I found spoke any English. Given that the Bsques generally speak Basque and Spanish, the Galicians Galician and Spanish, the Catalans, Catalan and Spanish, it's understandable, and it is their country. A little basic Spanish will open up many doors and make a whole host of new friends.

On the way home, try to get to San Sebastian, short Euskotren (local service) to Hendaye then back to Paris. San Sebastian is all class. A Coruna is also lovely and it's within spitting distance by bus from Muxia. The walk from Fisterre to Muxia is gorgeous, lots of gum trees and only about 6 hours!

De colores

Bogong

Awesome post and thank you for the heads up!

I have an ultra-lite backpack 1.13kg (48L) and aim to have 8kg all up + up to 2L water (2kg) when setting out each day. So that is my 1st lessons learnt and you have validated this! Thank you.

I have been to Kathmandu and they recommended the Gortex and not sure what type to get now as do not want them to leak. I will have ziplock bags and will put things in them to be safe and put the rain cover over the backpack. Getting very good boots, hiking socks and sock liners (double sock) so no blisters.

I aim to leave 6:15am like you each day and walk same times as you. I was thinking Brierley list as that was a 30 day walk, but open to better options? Did you use a GPS? Not sure to get one or not due to Snow and signage i hear is not the best then?

LOL at breaking their legs....

Will try Mt Cootha for sure as that is a must. I will learn some spanish for sure to get an idea as i know it would help.

Any more info?

Cheers Glenn

Something neither you nor Bogong seem to mention - it will still be dark in Spain until AFTER 8.00 am local through most of March (even later the further West you walk). Spain uses EU Standard time (one hour ahead of London), however if you look at a map you will see that Madrid is in fact WEST of London (it means they are effectively on Daylight Saving /Summer time all year - except in Summer when they are on double summer time).

So what does this mean - the sun will rise a lot later than you expect. So if you are aiming for a 6.15/6.45 am departure you will need the head torch; gloves and a reasonably good fleece and most probably a good rain/water proof jacket (and even consider waterproof pants - cold wet legs run out of power very quickly). Maybe acquire a set of waterproof maps from Caminodowner - you are going to need to be able to navigate when you cannot see the yellow markers. I'd be reconsidering the departure date and putting it back 30 days. Buen Camino

Something neither you nor Bogong seem to mention - it will still be dark in Spain until AFTER 8.00 am local through most of March (even later the further West you walk). Spain uses EU Standard time (one hour ahead of London), however if you look at a map you will see that Madrid is in fact WEST of London (it means they are effectively on Daylight Saving /Summer time all year - except in Summer when they are on double summer time).

So what does this mean - the sun will rise a lot later than you expect. So if you are aiming for a 6.15/6.45 am departure you will need the head torch; gloves and a reasonably good fleece and most probably a good rain/water proof jacket (and even consider waterproof pants - cold wet legs run out of power very quickly). Maybe acquire a set of waterproof maps from Caminodowner - you are going to need to be able to navigate when you cannot see the yellow markers. I'd be reconsidering the departure date and putting it back 30 days. Buen Camino

Saint Mike, flights booked and paid for and leave from work booked so dates locked in. Have head torch already, probably get GPS as they are waterproof and really only concerned with start in SJ over Pyrenees. I don't mind getting away early and wet weather gear is a must. Will have that covered, just working out what type to buy in Australia before we go. Keep the comments coming people :) - G

Awesome post and thank you for the heads up!

I have an ultra-lite backpack 1.13kg (48L) and aim to have 8kg all up + up to 2L water (2kg) when setting out each day. So that is my 1st lessons learnt and you have validated this! Thank you.

I have been to Kathmandu and they recommended the Gortex and not sure what type to get now as do not want them to leak. I will have ziplock bags and will put things in them to be safe and put the rain cover over the backpack. Getting very good boots, hiking socks and sock liners (double sock) so no blisters.

I aim to leave 6:15am like you each day and walk same times as you. I was thinking Brierley list as that was a 30 day walk, but open to better options? Did you use a GPS? Not sure to get one or not due to Snow and signage i hear is not the best then?

LOL at breaking their legs....

Will try Mt Cootha for sure as that is a must. I will learn some spanish for sure to get an idea as i know it would help.

Any more info?

Cheers Glenn
Saint Mike, flights booked and paid for and leave from work booked so dates locked in. Have head torch already, probably get GPS as they are waterproof and really only concerned with start in SJ over Pyrenees. I don't mind getting away early and wet weather gear is a must. Will have that covered, just working out what type to buy in Australia before we go. Keep the comments coming people :) - G

G'day Brisbanegee,

Just thinking of what else I can add.

I didn't carry either a GPS or a map other than that in the truncated version of Brierley's guides. Saint Mike is correct - I walked in the dark for an hour or two most mornings and only turned my headlight on when I came to a crossroads or divergent track or when, on the road, there was traffic in the vicinity (very seldom). There is something magical about the sunrise on the Meseta, but aside from here and La Rioja it was snowing/hailing/raining/sleeting/blowing on most days, even those with glimpses of fineness (a bit like Eric Oulthwaite in "Ripping Yarns" telling his mum that even the white bits in her black pudding were black).

I did keep a very careful watch out for way marking, but still got lost a few times. The only significant ones were at a T-junction west of Ponferrada where I turned right instead of left and headed some K down the road to A Coruna I think before being put right by a local (who then kindly carred me back to where I had gone wrong) and at another T junction out of Vilaserio on the way to Fisterre where after looking at the rather compromised arrow for about five minutes I turned left instead of right and only realised my mistake some k down the track when the sun emerged through a break in the clouds and I realised I was heading due south. The other seven or so times I got lost were insignificant, except for the wrong turn up a dirt road a k or so before the Cruz de Ferro, which added about 5k onto my day.

Re gear, I haven't had any success with Goretex. I tend to think also that the Kathmandu prices, even when they have their half price specials are a bit high. Recently, Aldi, for around $99 had a very good ski deal on a well-designed jacket which appeared to be of a Goretex-style fabric and for which exactly the same specifications re waterproofing/wicking etc were being made as for the Goretex ones. (I'm not sure how serious you can take any of these claims incidentally; certainly the three Goretex jackets I've had were useless in any sort of rain). It also had zips for ventilation under the armpits and you are going to perspire a lot irrespective of the weather. Somewhere else on this site is a reference to a poncho-like item which combines a pack cover with it, and something like this, with some sort of drawstring at the bottom to stop the thing blowing everywhere in the wind, and/or ripping to bits (as some did) would be my choice next time. I hope I haven't breached the site rules by saying this stuff.

Re other gear, all I carried pants-wise were a pair of lightweight Kathmandu travel pants and a pair of shorts. I discarded my waterproof over pants at Valcarlos on the first day out as they were useless - another problem was that the bucketing down rain off the Goretex jacket (that portion which didn't go straight through), went down onto my trousers, so I was wet from head to toe. Happily it turned to snow a bit up the hill from Valcarlos.

With cold weather, your heat loss is going to be mainly through your head and your hands. Get a good beanie (make sure it's wool - mine is a Nepalese one) and a good set of woollen gloves, or preferably a set of mittens made of the tightly woven stuff almost like felt. The old adage that no matter how cold and wet it is, wool is always warm and dry, still holds (incidentally, I spent thirty odd years wilderness XC skiing the Snowies). My beanie did shed a bit of dye in the rain which must have added to my grim appearance. Think about a set of walking poles. I didn't carry any (they would be a menace in Australian bushwalking conditions) but would have been invaluable for the walk down from Alto de Perdon which is steep with lots of loose stones. I slipped and nearly fell here and wrenched both my thigh muscles which meant I didn't really enjoy things very much when I walked 44k into Burgos a day or so later(I was sore and quite stuffed). There's been some conjecture on how to use these, but basically you stick your hand up through the strap so when you grab the thing your hand is bearing down both on the pole and the strap (like a stock in XC skiing). You can strap them to the side of your pack when you don't need them.

Re carrying water, I had three aluminium containers, but other people bought a plastic bottle of around one and a half litres to carry and just replaced this along the way. This seems a better idea in retrospect. I stopped for a swig about every two and a half hours, also stopped at various places for an orange juice/hot chocolate (ask for Cola Cao) so I consumed a lot of liquid. Re other gear such as boots and socks, I just bought a pair of boots, decided they were comfortable enough but still walked about 50k in them, and just wore my normal day to day socks. I'm lucky I have never really had any trouble with my feet, so the replacement boots I had to buy in Ponferrada didn't bother me either (they were worn out by Muxia). When you get to Cruz de Ferro, think about walking down the road rather than the track. I took the track and it was diabolical. There's far more risk of serious injury on the track. At this time of the year there was virtually no traffic on the road, which others took in lieu (they knew something but didn't tell me - I sort of thought vaguely about adding their crosses to the ancient and poignant wooden ones on the fencing remains, but they all looked bigger and stronger than me). The other bad spot was on the first day up the road about 7k beyond Valcarlos. There's a track leading off the road to Ibanez pass which cuts off around a k and a half, but you lose an awful lot of height which you then have to regain. Don't do this if the weather is vile and you are aiming for Roncesvalles on your first day.

Re the Brierley stops, I ended up there around five or six times, and there were quite a few people around even in winter. In some, the facilities were better than others - in some, particularly if you have to wash/dry clothes, things may be a bit tough, particularly in Burgos, where someone had comandeered the only available drier and had left their clothes in there while they wandered off downtown for a feed (I emptied them out for mine). In the smaller villages there were very few people staying, and most days I walked entirely alone. For example there were hordes of pilgrims in Sarria but my first night out of Sarria, in Hospital da Cruz, there were only three others, and the two nights after that, in Castaneda (Pension Santiago) and Lavacolla (Hostal San Paio) I was alone. Both times very wet! For the three days I saw only four other pilgrims on the track, and about another half a dozen at breakfast/lunch stops. Incidentally, at Vilachia, a few hours walk out of Sarria, there was a refreshment stall (donativo) run by an Australian lass from Newcastle NSW, so stop for a hello and a chat if she's around.

The other thing is some of the Brierley detours which he recommends which veer off the main waymarked track. If you're alone, first time with no one around to ask or go with it might be safer to stick to the well-waymarked ways. A young couple I met took one of these detours to avoid a bit of road work, and ended up getting thoroughly lost. It took them quite a bit of time to then find their way back to their original turn-off.

Which gets to the whole walk. I was scared witless reading about it all before I did it. It turned out I had no cause so to be. So don't be overawed by it all - it's long but not really hard unless you want to make it so.

This is all a bit long and possibly boring, but I hope it helps. Others may have advice which adds to or differs from this of course.

De Colores

John

Careful of ice early morning. The few times I left super-early (8am!) it was still dark in Feb. The streets and even the dirt tracks were often like glass. I solved the problem by leaving late morning and walking less. I'm good at all that.

Apart from ice (and blizzards and albergue closures) winter caminos are tops. So enjoy!

Ultreia

Rob

I departed SJPdP the first week of February and encountered rain or snow between there and Zubriri, near Fromista, after Astorga, and through Galicia. Temperatures ranged from below freezing many mornings, to mid 60sF when I walked in short sleeves and sunburned. In other words, take and dress in layers from head to toe.

Items I took and would take again:

- walking sticks
- wool beanie and gloves
- headlamp
- smartphone for maps, translation, and booking ahead
- Velcro strips (many uses including constant pressure on push-button showers in unheated albergues)
- tech/quick dry clothing
- extra socks and a pair of Crocs
- poncho and "waterproof" shell
- a lightweight foam pad for sitting on wet cold ground

And no particular plans, except to walk west each day.

Buen camino.

Last edited:
Careful of ice early morning. The few times I left super-early (8am!) it was still dark in Feb. The streets and even the dirt tracks were often like glass. I solved the problem by leaving late morning and walking less. I'm good at all that.

Apart from ice (and blizzards and albergue closures) winter caminos are tops. So enjoy!

Ultreia

Rob
Rob,

Thank you for the tip, really appreciate all the feedback.

G

G'day Brisbanegee,

Just thinking of what else I can add.

I didn't carry either a GPS or a map other than that in the truncated version of Brierley's guides. Saint Mike is correct - I walked in the dark for an hour or two most mornings and only turned my headlight on when I came to a crossroads or divergent track or when, on the road, there was traffic in the vicinity (very seldom). There is something magical about the sunrise on the Meseta, but aside from here and La Rioja it was snowing/hailing/raining/sleeting/blowing on most days, even those with glimpses of fineness (a bit like Eric Oulthwaite in "Ripping Yarns" telling his mum that even the white bits in her black pudding were black).

I did keep a very careful watch out for way marking, but still got lost a few times. The only significant ones were at a T-junction west of Ponferrada where I turned right instead of left and headed some K down the road to A Coruna I think before being put right by a local (who then kindly carred me back to where I had gone wrong) and at another T junction out of Vilaserio on the way to Fisterre where after looking at the rather compromised arrow for about five minutes I turned left instead of right and only realised my mistake some k down the track when the sun emerged through a break in the clouds and I realised I was heading due south. The other seven or so times I got lost were insignificant, except for the wrong turn up a dirt road a k or so before the Cruz de Ferro, which added about 5k onto my day.

Re gear, I haven't had any success with Goretex. I tend to think also that the Kathmandu prices, even when they have their half price specials are a bit high. Recently, Aldi, for around $99 had a very good ski deal on a well-designed jacket which appeared to be of a Goretex-style fabric and for which exactly the same specifications re waterproofing/wicking etc were being made as for the Goretex ones. (I'm not sure how serious you can take any of these claims incidentally; certainly the three Goretex jackets I've had were useless in any sort of rain). It also had zips for ventilation under the armpits and you are going to perspire a lot irrespective of the weather. Somewhere else on this site is a reference to a poncho-like item which combines a pack cover with it, and something like this, with some sort of drawstring at the bottom to stop the thing blowing everywhere in the wind, and/or ripping to bits (as some did) would be my choice next time. I hope I haven't breached the site rules by saying this stuff.

Re other gear, all I carried pants-wise were a pair of lightweight Kathmandu travel pants and a pair of shorts. I discarded my waterproof over pants at Valcarlos on the first day out as they were useless - another problem was that the bucketing down rain off the Goretex jacket (that portion which didn't go straight through), went down onto my trousers, so I was wet from head to toe. Happily it turned to snow a bit up the hill from Valcarlos.

With cold weather, your heat loss is going to be mainly through your head and your hands. Get a good beanie (make sure it's wool - mine is a Nepalese one) and a good set of woollen gloves, or preferably a set of mittens made of the tightly woven stuff almost like felt. The old adage that no matter how cold and wet it is, wool is always warm and dry, still holds (incidentally, I spent thirty odd years wilderness XC skiing the Snowies). My beanie did shed a bit of dye in the rain which must have added to my grim appearance. Think about a set of walking poles. I didn't carry any (they would be a menace in Australian bushwalking conditions) but would have been invaluable for the walk down from Alto de Perdon which is steep with lots of loose stones. I slipped and nearly fell here and wrenched both my thigh muscles which meant I didn't really enjoy things very much when I walked 44k into Burgos a day or so later(I was sore and quite stuffed). There's been some conjecture on how to use these, but basically you stick your hand up through the strap so when you grab the thing your hand is bearing down both on the pole and the strap (like a stock in XC skiing). You can strap them to the side of your pack when you don't need them.

Re carrying water, I had three aluminium containers, but other people bought a plastic bottle of around one and a half litres to carry and just replaced this along the way. This seems a better idea in retrospect. I stopped for a swig about every two and a half hours, also stopped at various places for an orange juice/hot chocolate (ask for Cola Cao) so I consumed a lot of liquid. Re other gear such as boots and socks, I just bought a pair of boots, decided they were comfortable enough but still walked about 50k in them, and just wore my normal day to day socks. I'm lucky I have never really had any trouble with my feet, so the replacement boots I had to buy in Ponferrada didn't bother me either (they were worn out by Muxia). When you get to Cruz de Ferro, think about walking down the road rather than the track. I took the track and it was diabolical. There's far more risk of serious injury on the track. At this time of the year there was virtually no traffic on the road, which others took in lieu (they knew something but didn't tell me - I sort of thought vaguely about adding their crosses to the ancient and poignant wooden ones on the fencing remains, but they all looked bigger and stronger than me). The other bad spot was on the first day up the road about 7k beyond Valcarlos. There's a track leading off the road to Ibanez pass which cuts off around a k and a half, but you lose an awful lot of height which you then have to regain. Don't do this if the weather is vile and you are aiming for Roncesvalles on your first day.

Re the Brierley stops, I ended up there around five or six times, and there were quite a few people around even in winter. In some, the facilities were better than others - in some, particularly if you have to wash/dry clothes, things may be a bit tough, particularly in Burgos, where someone had comandeered the only available drier and had left their clothes in there while they wandered off downtown for a feed (I emptied them out for mine). In the smaller villages there were very few people staying, and most days I walked entirely alone. For example there were hordes of pilgrims in Sarria but my first night out of Sarria, in Hospital da Cruz, there were only three others, and the two nights after that, in Castaneda (Pension Santiago) and Lavacolla (Hostal San Paio) I was alone. Both times very wet! For the three days I saw only four other pilgrims on the track, and about another half a dozen at breakfast/lunch stops. Incidentally, at Vilachia, a few hours walk out of Sarria, there was a refreshment stall (donativo) run by an Australian lass from Newcastle NSW, so stop for a hello and a chat if she's around.

The other thing is some of the Brierley detours which he recommends which veer off the main waymarked track. If you're alone, first time with no one around to ask or go with it might be safer to stick to the well-waymarked ways. A young couple I met took one of these detours to avoid a bit of road work, and ended up getting thoroughly lost. It took them quite a bit of time to then find their way back to their original turn-off.

Which gets to the whole walk. I was scared witless reading about it all before I did it. It turned out I had no cause so to be. So don't be overawed by it all - it's long but not really hard unless you want to make it so.

This is all a bit long and possibly boring, but I hope it helps. Others may have advice which adds to or differs from this of course.

De Colores

John

John,

Brilliant information a lot to take in and will read more in depth tonight when home. There are a lot of tips here and personal experience you had at the same time really helps me get things into perspective. I might get a GPS as was planning to just to make sure if we go off track, we can get back very fast.

Cheers and talk soon.

Glenn

I departed SJPdP the first week of February and encountered rain or snow between there and Zubriri, near Fromista, after Astorga, and through Galicia. Temperatures ranged from below freezing many mornings, to mid 60sF when I walked in short sleeves and sunburned. In other words, take and dress in layers from head to toe.

Items I took and would not do without again:

- walking sticks
- wool beanie and gloves
- headlamp
- smartphone for maps, translation, and booking ahead
- Velcro strips (many uses including constant pressure on push-button showers in unheated albergues)
- tech/quick dry clothing
- extra socks and a pair of Crocs
- poncho and "waterproof" shell
- a lightweight foam pad for sitting on wet cold ground

And no particular plans, except to walk west each day.

Buen camino.
Another awesome post!

Thank you for the item list as i was looking at all except the velcro strips, had no idea about the showers but that is brilliant.

I really hope the weather is not horrible each day, but you never know. Will have the layers, thermals and a down light sleeping bag.

Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I might get a GPS as was planning to just to make sure if we go off track, we can get back very fast.
I have not been successful in locating a GPS track to follow. My GPS showed me where I was, but offered no guidance on how to get back on track.

I have not been successful in locating a GPS track to follow. My GPS showed me where I was, but offered no guidance on how to get back on track.

I found the waypoints to save - Search Brierley's waypoints and this will help. I got that and will look into the GPS next as it has the accommodation, food etc points to get to.

At times between some villages and towns, I did not see another person for an hour or more.

Google Maps -- in satellite mode -- was sufficient to help me decide which fork to take -- and one morning before dawn (when I missed a waymarker out of Portomarin) to follow a series of tractor trails for several kilometers back to the camino!

Yes i do have it! Grab it from here and get the 'Joined' one

http://www.afotc.org/index.php/2012-06-14-03-41-46/camino-frances-gps

All the best for early next year Glenn ,

Please don't worry too much about GPS, maps , satellite modes or anything on this earth just your feet and the desire to have short days if required .
You are going in a month that anything could happen weather wise [ half the Camino cancelled last year in june/july] so March could be anything...**i hope an early spring.
Start a bit late , so that the torch on the head is maybe not that necessary.....just a bit late mate ...enjoy the breakfasts if available as many current venues WILL NOT be there .

If the feet blister because of shoes or softness , hoo roo , it will be very hard....if the rain comes.
Janet [ Sth Austr] has just finished a Christmas camino and he blogs on the camino newspaper are very interesting.
I think you are walking in the months every one i know would love to consider.

**My kids just finished last week and every table in the cafe's/bars where they stopped had half the people on phones texting / talking etc.
**You wont find this in March mate.......we envy you...the peace and closeness of pilgrims.

**** Every time we stopped for coffee/snaps/toilet we filled our water bottle.
******Because of this we only carried a 500ml bottle and saved 1.5kg [ the weight of your backpack ]
There is always a stop for water every few hours.

The local tourist offices will surpass anything Brierley has written as most places are closed.
They are the gospel and are more than helpful especially if the months you are walking.......you won't be a tourist.
Save a few $$ each week from now until Feb. and shout yourself a pension [ they will wash/dry and iron if needed for a few euros] or hotel .....and enjoy this short life.

I would miss the deviations Glenn ,but thats me mate , just enjoy this walk and i hope you encounter wonderful weather.
March has become a MAYBE month in this household , just a repeat again.

Bon Courage , Bon Camino , the time will fly
David

Last edited:
All the best for early next year Glenn ,

Please don't worry too much about GPS, maps , satellite modes or anything on this earth just your feet and the desire to have short days if required .
You are going in a month that anything could happen weather wise [ half the Camino cancelled last year in june/july] so March could be anything...**i hope an early spring.
Start a bit late , so that the torch on the head is maybe not that necessary.....just a bit late mate ...enjoy the breakfasts if available as many current venues WILL NOT be there .

If the feet blister because of shoes or softness , hoo roo , it will be very hard....if the rain comes.
Janet [ Sth Austr] has just finished a Christmas camino and he blogs on the camino newspaper are very interesting.
I think you are walking in the months every one i know would love to consider.

**My kids just finished last week and every table in the cafe's/bars where they stopped had half the people on phones texting / talking etc.
**You wont find this in March mate.......we envy you...the peace and closeness of pilgrims.

**** Every time we stopped for coffee/snaps/toilet we filled our water bottle.
******Because of this we only carried a 500ml bottle and saved 1.5kg [ the weight of your backpack ]
There is always a stop for water every few hours.

The local tourist offices will surpass anything Brierley has written as most places are closed.
They are the gospel and are more than helpful especially if the months you are walking.......you won't be a tourist.
Save a few $$ each week from now until Feb. and shout yourself a pension [ they will wash/dry and iron if needed for a few euros] or hotel .....and enjoy this short life.

I would not the deviations Glenn ,but thats me mate , just enjoy this walk and i hope you encounter wonderful weather.
March has become a MAYBE month in this household , just a repeat again.

Bon Courage , Bon Camino , the time will fly
David
Wow!

What an awesome post and a great insight and walking all of March, you are right, will be more peaceful and not as touristy as peak season.

I have survived cancer, doing a fundraiser and this walk is the missing thing in my life i call 'The Gap' and it came to me after listening to the Proclaimers song 500 miles. Would not get out of my head and googled - 500mile walk and this came up, so i locked it in and this is a personal challenge for me as i was told i had 1 month to live, had a large operation and just clicked 2 years healthy.

I will make sure that once i return i will post a blog saying how perfect it was and fingers crossed the weather gods are nice to us. Great tips about water. Have a hydration pack but will only fill partial like you mention. Looking at the Pension or Hotel for at least 1/2 for more peace and as you say enjoy this short life we have. Will try all accommodation types, as want to experience it all.

Bon Camino

Wow!

What an awesome post and a great insight and walking all of March, you are right, will be more peaceful and not as touristy as peak season.

I have survived cancer, doing a fundraiser and this walk is the missing thing in my life i call 'The Gap' and it came to me after listening to the Proclaimers song 500 miles. Would not get out of my head and googled - 500mile walk and this came up, so i locked it in and this is a personal challenge for me as i was told i had 1 month to live, had a large operation and just clicked 2 years healthy.

I will make sure that once i return i will post a blog saying how perfect it was and fingers crossed the weather gods are nice to us. Great tips about water. Have a hydration pack but will only fill partial like you mention. Looking at the Pension or Hotel for at least 1/2 for more peace and as you say enjoy this short life we have. Will try all accommodation types, as want to experience it all.

Bon Camino

Glenn,

That's inspiring!

Winter this year ended officially around 21 March. In A Coruna I was told that it effectively ended on 2 April the weather had been so bad.

There is a change to daylight saving time around 28 March (clocks forward an hour) so watch out for this. Also, heed local advice on path conditions - the gent in the Supermercado just entering Larrasoana said it had been raining solidly for 9 days, hence take the road to Pamplona not the track, which in places was shin-deep in mud, slippery and dangerous.

The Hostals (family-run hotels) are rated 2 stars generally but are fabulous, and phenomenally cheap by Oz standards. I stayed in about four, the last three (including two between Sarria and Santiago) I was alone and didn't see another pilgrim on the track all day/night. I was treated just like family in some places.

De Colores

John

John,

Thank you for the heads up for Day Light Savings as i would have missed flights back to Paris if i never knew. I will write down all your tips and make sure that i prepare accordingly. Any tips for foot preparation each day? Double sock, wool wrap?

Glenn

G'day Glenn,

Sorry, I can't really help on the foot issue. Certainly, I few people I met had trouble, in the case of one lovely US lady enormous trouble.

I had some special artificial skin which came in handy for someone else who sadly had to pull out at Astorga due to other health issues.

My socks breed in mongrel fashion in the wash and the drawer, and some go walkabout, so I've been standardising over the past few years on "Outbacks" which I buy at the local Moruya markets (two pairs for 12 bucks, much cheaper than Big W). I bought three new pairs for the trip, sent one pair on from Ponferrada, but wore one of the remaining pairs out.

I've been a runner (more a grinder away, and more recently mostly walking after knee arthroscopies) for the past 40 years and don't have foot problems.

Actually, the stories I read here about blisters etc filled me with horror so I retained the two pairs of light socks that Singapore Airlines gave me. I gave a pair of these to an Italian lad in Burgos, as he had blistered a bit. I don't know what happened to the other pair.

De colores

John

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.