• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in January

rvperrier

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy to Santiago
Future - Porto to Santiago
For many reasons, I have only the first 2 weeks of January to walk from Porto to Santiago. I have checked the temperatures which range above 10 degrees C (warmer in Porto). I am Canadian and that doesn't concern me, but it rains 30% of the time and tends to be windy. I always walk with an umbrella and find them a life-saver in rain (a strong one, held carefully, can tolerate most wind). My back pack has a built in rain cover and I will bring a second one.
My main concern is having enough open accommodation and places to eat.
Does anyone have advice, suggestions. Write even if you think I am crazy.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'll be curious to see what others who have walked in January post - I did it almost exactly a year ago, so it was still "in season." There were hotels and restaurants used by locals almost everywhere along the way, so while you may not get albergues, I'm sure you could find somewhere. The one exception to this is if you choose the variante espiritual - there may not be anything between Combarro and Vilanova, and that's quite a trek. Normally the stages of that variante are Pontevedra > Armenteira > Vilanova, but I don't know if there's anything in Armenteira besides the albergue. Learned the hard way there's no lodging in Ribadumia.
Bom caminho!

For many reasons, I have only the first 2 weeks of January to walk from Porto to Santiago. I have checked the temperatures which range above 10 degrees C (warmer in Porto). I am Canadian and that doesn't concern me, but it rains 30% of the time and tends to be windy. I always walk with an umbrella and find them a life-saver in rain (a strong one, held carefully, can tolerate most wind). My back pack has a built in rain cover and I will bring a second one.
My main concern is having enough open accommodation and places to eat.
Does anyone have advice, suggestions. Write even if you think I am crazy.
There are always places to eat in a town of more than a thousand. And some albergues do stay open year round. I met a peregrina suiza in Burgos mid-January with light snow still on the plaza mayor.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I don't know that route but we walked the CF in January. Although hardly any albergues were open (especially between Christmas and the festival of Tres Reyes - the Three Kings - on 6 January, when the children get their "Christmas" presents.) The Spanish tend to close up and go on holidays during those two weeks, but we never were unable to find a bed, although you will need to budget more as you will probably need to stay in cheap pension-style hotels and B&B accommodation. And the same goes for food - less menu del dia, more cheap restaurant fare. But you won't sleep in a park or go hungry. We would head for a bar and ask about who had rooms in town. After a warming drop it always worked out fine.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
I’m seeing a lot of discussion on FB about the route out of Vigo. People are recommending taking a new bike path that starts at the Ascensor Halo and ends at Chapela because the official route is...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...
So I’d been given to understand in my pre-Camino research that one could just ask for a copo de agua (glass of water) which is basically tap water on the house. Since arriving in Portugal a few...
I'm planning to cross over from the Coastal to Central Camino at Caminha. I would appreciate any comments relating to this route from pilgrims that have done it. Is it better to split into two...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back