• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in March/April

superleggera

Time of past OR future Camino
CF [StJean-F'rre] (March 2017)
Hi folks, I'm intending to undertake my first Camino Frances this year departing home on 1st March.

My concerns are the weather and whether enough of the hostels/albergues will be open at that time of the year...I am capable of roughing it and sleeping outdoors but I'm concerned about lugging the weight of the kit necessary to do that and the same goes for heavier prolonged wet weather capable boots, gaiters etc.

I was hoping to walk it slowly over 6-7 weeks or will it be raining so much that I wouldn't want to? I have some excellent Scarpa gore-tex boots but I'm concerned they might be a little too sturdy (they have a very stiff sole and can take crampons etc, you know they type I'm sure), I've seen people advising to go for something more flexible suited to hard paved trails because the Camino Frances isn't actually that bad and ankle support isn't so essential, but other people saying it can be very wet and muddy in March and 'proper' boots are better.

I will clarify my position, due to financial restrictions I'm intending to stay in cheap pilgrim hostels/albergues only (or sleep outside for free). I understand that it's only possible to stay in an albergue for one night before having to move on and if most of them are closed that means either a lot of camping or a lot walking each day.

Answers from any March-experienced peregrinos gratefully received, cheers and Buen Camino :)

(I have edited this question slightly since someone kindly reposted it in a unique thread)

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Stonegroover. You haven't said which camino you are planning to walk. Starting from Bordeaux gives you access to the Norte, Vasco, Baztan and Frances. Never mind; sites such as http://www.gronze.com/will give you all the inter-links, information on accommodation opening times etc. http://www.aemet.es/es/eltiempo gives historical climate data as well as current predictions (browsers such as Google Chrome (tm) will provide auto translation if required. This forum contains a wealth of information, narrative and opinion some of which may be useful ;)

I would never set out in March without good boots and good waterproofs. Whichever route you choose you will encounter a broad range of terrain and weather. I would never carry a tent - a bed can always be found.

Happy planning

Thanks for your reply, I see you're a moderator so thanks if you moved my question to it's own thread. Since it'll be my first Camino, I'm doing the Frances because as far as I can tell, that's what first timers are advised to do. All the maps I've seen, including the one on the Gronze site you linked show the Bordeaux route running into St Jean de PP. I would never take a tent, but would consider a bivvy, some cord, a tarp etc.

At the risk of inciting a lot of tutting and head shaking from people reading this, I'm deliberately trying to avoid planning and organising it too much. I want to enter into it with the spirit of the pilgrim from earlier years and keeping as much of the sense of adventure and perhaps surprise as possible and take each day as it comes once I'm out there. I'm not booking anything in advance and I'll read up about my next stop as I leave the one I just slept in. I just want to make sure I'm not entering into something that I've made much more difficult for the sake of not waiting a few weeks.

I'm aware of the climate charts etc but obviously nothing beats someone's direct experience, for example someone might have found that although it's wet, heavy duty stiff soled gore-tex lined leather boots weren't great in the mud and lighter semi-fabric trail boots were better and dried out quicker at night in the hostel etc.... things like that you see.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Stonegroover, one of my fellow mods moved your thread.

I like your approach. My first time out I'd read as much as I could absorb and had annotated a copy of St Brierley's guide book with a few interesting diversions and some recommended restaurants.

The Frances has the benefit of being the most popular and consequently most supported camino route. Even in March there will be plenty of accommodation and fuel stops open. The Pilgrims' Office in St Jean will provide you with a current list. Your first few days down from Bordeaux might be a little tricky on accommodation at that time of year but there is plenty of info out there and available from the estimable members of this forum.

The foot-wear question is a beaut. A little searching around the forum or using the Cloud Tags will lead you to enough heated debate to dry a thousand mile sock. You are likely to encounter rain, mud, snow, dust, dry & wet rock, asphalt, gravel, cobblestone, oh, and did I mention mud?

On my last March / April trip I enjoyed warm spring sunshine and a couple of freezing blizzards. I wear Gortex / Leather boots. Some wear Trail-runners & even sandals. Whatever you go for make sure they are well-broken-in to your feet with a good few miles on the clock.

Buen camino

Thanks for your reply, I see you're a moderator so thanks if you moved my question to it's own thread. Since it'll be my first Camino, I'm doing the Frances because as far as I can tell, that's what first timers are advised to do. All the maps I've seen, including the one on the Gronze site you linked show the Bordeaux route running into St Jean de PP. I would never take a tent, but would consider a bivvy, some cord, a tarp etc.

At the risk of inciting a lot of tutting and head shaking from people reading this, I'm deliberately trying to avoid planning and organising it too much. I want to enter into it with the spirit of the pilgrim from earlier years and keeping as much of the sense of adventure and perhaps surprise as possible and take each day as it comes once I'm out there. I'm not booking anything in advance and I'll read up about my next stop as I leave the one I just slept in. I just want to make sure I'm not entering into something that I've made much more difficult for the sake of not waiting a few weeks.

I'm aware of the climate charts etc but obviously nothing beats someone's direct experience, for example someone might have found that although it's wet, heavy duty stiff soled gore-tex lined leather boots weren't great in the mud and lighter semi-fabric trail boots were better and dried out quicker at night in the hostel etc.... things like that you see.

You certainly won't get any tutting and shaking of heads for not planning, it's the only way to go and being flexible allows you to stop/start when you want. My saying is go with the flow"
When I did the CF I did book up accommodation in SJPDP, it was only when I got to the pilgrims office that I realised that I didn't need too, they were placing pilgrims with accommodation and although it was early Sept I don't think anyone went without a bed.
Relax, don't plan, pack the back pack (not to heavy), jump on a plane and enjoy the journey.
My only pre planning advice would be the shoes/boots and socks, without working feet, you go no where.

Buen Camino

There is a lot of stuff about footwear on here, just blown 2 hours on it. I think the more traditional style Scarpa boots I have will be too much and the spectre of blisters not far away. Some new boots may be my only big spend on this before I leave. Thanks for your replies on this :) BC!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
whether enough of the hostels/albergues will be open at that time of the year
A lot of albergues do not open until Easter week or April, whichever comes first. Look at gronze.com for a pretty good list of the places that will be open. Note that many that are open all year are only open if you call in advance! Buen camino.

At the risk of inciting a lot of tutting and head shaking from people reading this, I'm deliberately trying to avoid planning and organising it too much.
I don't think you'll find any objections to your approach. Generally on the forum, we recognize that different approaches work for different people. Although a bit of "preparation" does seem wise, there is no need to plan all the day-by-day details.
Someone might have found that although it's wet, heavy duty stiff soled gore-tex lined leather boots weren't great in the mud and lighter semi-fabric trail boots were better and dried out quicker at night at the hostel
I wear Salomon Ultra Mid GTX boots. However, if a lower shoe were more comfortable, I would use it. No footwear will be perfect for all the conditions you might encounter, so compromises will be necessary. You just can't know in advance which compromises you will have to make! By far the #1 criteria is comfort and roominess which must not be compromised! Then I would say weight and preference for ankle protection. Whether to use waterproof footwear (or not) is somewhat a personal preference. For me, the most comfortable boot available is waterproof (in theory) so I use it. Others find that their feet are too hot, or they like the fact that non-waterproof boots might dry a bit faster.

A lot of albergues do not open until Easter week or April
I agree with the above statement, but if you look at the statistics here, you will see that 40,000 people got compostelas in September 2016, while only 15,000 did in April. In other words, only 1/3 of the accommodation is needed in March-April, compared with peak season. Certainly if you are counting on an albergue in a small village, you should check in advance, but there is no reason to postpone your camino due to insufficient accommodation in March-April!

Last edited:
OK, in summary...

March is fine but consider calling/emailing ahead to the smaller albergues...
Don't train too hard etc for it just start easy and take my time to work up to bigger distances...
No need for camping gear, expect to get wet but water wings/life jacket not required...
Maybe take an extra fleece/jumper in case it snows...
Flip a coin on boots but probably get light/softer gtx semi-fabric with some ankle protection...
Remember to always wear a smile...

... got it! :)

Cheers for the replies, that'll do for me :)

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Good Luck, but I'd say that 4 season crampon compatible Scarva boots would leave you seriously "over booted", excellent boots though Scarva are. I'd look at something lighter and flexible to give you a rolling walking gait. There are plenty of good gear shops about where you can see and try on various manufacturers products and get good advice.
Ultreïa.

Good Luck, but I'd say that 4 season crampon compatible Scarva boots would leave you seriously "over booted", excellent boots though Scarva are. I'd look at something lighter and flexible to give you a rolling walking gait. There are plenty of good gear shops about where you can see and try on various manufacturers products and get good advice.
Ultreïa.

Hi, yes thanks, after following the advice of people wiser than me I've ended getting some Salomon Quest Gore-Tex trekking type boots and to be fair they look perfect for the job.

BC! :)

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That was in Roncesvalles. When we got down the mountain we walked in cloudy rainy weather. The weather is unpredictable in March and April. We walking on trail in rain and sleet. About a week in it started snowing again for about 2 days. We were prepared, we live in Northwest Washington state where we regularly hike in all kinds of weather in the Cascade and the Olympic Mountains. Actually we had about 6 days of sunshine in 33 days.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
That was in Roncesvalles. When we got down the mountain we walked in cloudy rainy weather. The weather is unpredictable in March and April. We walking on trail in rain and sleet. About a week in it started snowing again for about 2 days. We were prepared, we live in Northwest Washington state where we regularly hike in all kinds of weather in the Cascade and the Olympic Mountains. Actually we had about 6 days of sunshine in 33 days.
Thanks JF Gregory.
What date did you actually arrive in Santiago?

I think you have figured it out. The wonderfull thing about the Camino is we use our minds daily during the walk & simply figure it out as we go. If you try to book ahead or concern yourself overly about such things, my rule of "keep it simple silly" would not work & stress may set in :) Obviously you have experience sleeping on the ground so just ask yourself what is the worst case sleeping in the mud? Even that won't happen you just walk till you find a bed. In the spring there is no bed shortage.
Buen Camino

I will probably end up learning to walk before I run, keep it simple and get a flight to Biarritz like everyone else from this part of the world does and start from St J PdP. There certainly is a lot of stuff about footwear on here, just blown 2 hours on it. I think the 4 season Scarpa boots I have will be too much and the spectre of blisters not far away. Some new boots may be my only big spend on this before I leave. Thanks for your replies on this :) BC!
A good tip to avoid blisters is zinc oxide tape, you get it off the internet. You strap up every tiny warm spot, I have never had blisters on long treks (yet). The zinc heals. For everyday walking I use sudercrem but the tape is better, lighter and more effective on a long trek. I am starting late Feb and wearing substantial waterproof leather boots, and a big cheap cape to cover a lot in the rain. I did a week in Nov as a test run. I am an older lady, walking alone and am very relaxed about just walking into an Albergue as I when I want. Loads of beds in off season. A lady friend did it from France to Santiago with 5kilos, I am aiming for carrying no more than 6k, a small bag on the front to help disperse the weight and two poles. If I have a very bad day with rain I wont go far and will stop in bars longer for food and drink. I think getting your bag as light as possible is the most difficult thing in preparing. Buen Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back