• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in May 2021

barbmrazkova

Time of past OR future Camino
Ola, bom dia!

I am planning to start walking from Lisboa at the end of May this year. Can anyone let me know if it is okay to start? Perhaps someone from Portugal or someone who is on the way already? Are the Albergues open? I've heard the lockdown is going to be lifted soon.. just curious as really hard to find any information online. Obrigada x

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The lockdown has already been lifted in all but four Portuguese districts, none of which I believe are close to your route. The state of emergency ends tomorrow.

Municipal albergues are probably still closed, as they were closed throughout last year. And in the early part of the walk from Lisbon, these are the only albergues.

You can look at my live thread from last September for accommodation alternatives and other tips. Or read this article for a summary of what the CP is like in these times: How a Pandemic Camino is Different.

Bom caminho!

The lockdown has already been lifted in all but four Portuguese districts, none of which I believe are close to your route. The state of emergency ends tomorrow.

Municipal albergues are probably still closed, as they were closed throughout last year. And in the early part of the walk from Lisbon, these are the only albergues.

You can look at my live thread from last September for accommodation alternatives and other tips. Or read this article for a summary of what the CP is like in these times: How a Pandemic Camino is Different.

Bom caminho!
Thanks a lot I will look at the links you've shared. Big help. I really hope the municipal albergues will be open, I wanted to also take the alternative route through Sintra to Fatima.. and then join the regular route in Tomar... fingers crossed it can happen :) obrigada again x

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Portugal/Spain border is still closed -- opening towards mid-May supposedly.

The Portugal/Spain border is still closed -- opening towards mid-May supposedly.
May 1, announced today:

Portugal, Spain to fully reopen land border on May 1 after COVID restrictions
(Reuters) - The land border between Portugal and Spain will reopen for all travel on Saturday after more than three months of restrictions and border checks to reduce the risk of COVID-19 contagion, Portuguese Prime Minister Antonio Costa said on Thursday.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Ola, bom dia!

I am planning to start walking from Lisboa at the end of May this year. Can anyone let me know if it is okay to start? Perhaps someone from Portugal or someone who is on the way already? Are the Albergues open? I've heard the lockdown is going to be lifted soon.. just curious as really hard to find any information online. Obrigada x
I have walked this route. It is a wonderful camino. The Portuguese people are the best. Since I have no idea about restrictions, I will not comment. I think what would be wise is to have as many resources as you possibly can to track which albergues are opened or closed. I do not know if there is a pilgrim office or society in Lisbon to see if there is information. Maybe at the Cathedral. Or someone here as information regarding this. I would say that you should have as many resources as you can regarding accommodations along the way. I know Gronze.com is updating albergues that are open or closed. I do not know how up to date this is. I would recommend also using the Buen Camino and the Wise Pilgrim apps. They are both free and no one app has a complete list. I would also download Booking.com if you need hotel reservations. I would plan ahead to and call the albergue/hostel etc. the night before to make sure they are open. As an example the first stage from Lisbon traditionally ends in Alpriate. Gronze and Wise only list the closed municipal albergue. The next town that has accommodations would make the day out of Lisbon about 30K. I know there is a hotel at the beginning of the town because some pilgrims I met stayed there as the albergue and church were full. Luckily alot of Portuguese people speak English. They are also very helpful to say the least. I didn't walk to Fatima so I can't speak of that. I also did the Central route out of Porto. There may be more open accommodations on the Coastal route as it is very touristic. If you can get into Spain if I were you I would look into the Spiritual Variant as it is supposed to be really beautiful. But again in these times it could be risky. Buen Camino. Remember in these times a little planning will go a long way.

I have walked this route. It is a wonderful camino. The Portuguese people are the best. Since I have no idea about restrictions, I will not comment. I think what would be wise is to have as many resources as you possibly can to track which albergues are opened or closed. I do not know if there is a pilgrim office or society in Lisbon to see if there is information. Maybe at the Cathedral. Or someone here as information regarding this. I would say that you should have as many resources as you can regarding accommodations along the way. I know Gronze.com is updating albergues that are open or closed. I do not know how up to date this is. I would recommend also using the Buen Camino and the Wise Pilgrim apps. They are both free and no one app has a complete list. I would also download Booking.com if you need hotel reservations. I would plan ahead to and call the albergue/hostel etc. the night before to make sure they are open. As an example the first stage from Lisbon traditionally ends in Alpriate. Gronze and Wise only list the closed municipal albergue. The next town that has accommodations would make the day out of Lisbon about 30K. I know there is a hotel at the beginning of the town because some pilgrims I met stayed there as the albergue and church were full. Luckily alot of Portuguese people speak English. They are also very helpful to say the least. I didn't walk to Fatima so I can't speak of that. I also did the Central route out of Porto. There may be more open accommodations on the Coastal route as it is very touristic. If you can get into Spain if I were you I would look into the Spiritual Variant as it is supposed to be really beautiful. But again in these times it could be risky. Buen Camino. Remember in these times a little planning will go a long way.

Thank you so much for your insight. I agree I have to do some planning.. will definitely check the websites you recommended and will also try email/call the cathedral in Lisbon to see what they can advise. I am actually contemplating to walk from Lisbon to Cascais and via Fatima to then join the central route in Tomar and up to Porto and then doing the coastal route from Porto.. I am aware that borders are opening again for turists in June so only pretty much worried for the two weeks in May.. the Gronze website seems to have some good information I will also post some more question on the forum, see what other pilgrims have to say :) very helpful always. Thank you again. Bx

will also try email/call the cathedral in Lisbon to see what they can advise.
Just FYI, don’t bother with the cathedral. Via Lusitana will be able to help much more: https://www.vialusitana.org/

IIRC, there was a problem with their phone number last year but they responded very quickly to emails.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Would be interested to know if and when the municipals open. I've just booked my flights (very excited!). Arrive Lisbon 11th June 😁😁😁

Would be interested to know if and when the municipals open. I've just booked my flights (very excited!). Arrive Lisbon 11th June 😁😁😁
Gronze.com seems to be fairly up to date. Other than that we are relying on those on the ground (You in June) to tell us what's going on. 😅

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back