• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in May

Robindra

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 May
I will start in SJPP on April 28 and wonder what to expect for weather during the month of May. I am wondering about temperatures, wind and rain.
I know this is a variable and the weather maps are somewhat useful, but it would be nice to hear from pilgrims as to what their experience has been. Any recommendations about warm clothing- fleece, hat, gloves, underpants, etc?
My outer sock is a wool hiking sock and is quite thick and warm, and I am wondering if this will be issue. I do not want to change it as it will alter the fit of my shoe. Any thoughts?
Robbie

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I started April 22nd and hand torrential rain, achingly bright and hot days, and everything inbetween. No snow!

Think layers.

I was suprised how cold it was in the mornings - you're up and about at dawn, or not long after, and wore thick gloves all morning for the first couple of weeks.

I wore wool socks and it worked for me. After one unexpectedly hot day walking to Los Arcos, I bought a pair of coolmax socks in Viana, but they didn't work for me and and I gave them away the next day. There are shops all along the route, so you can buy things if you need.

Have fun!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'd like to know what temperatures to expect when walking from St. Jean PeP to Roncevalles in late May. Could someone offer their experiences to clarify this issue? Is wearing thermal underwear under the regular zip-off thin hiking trousers recommended? I've calculated my complete pack weight including water at just under 10% of my body weight, but would like to trim it down even further if at all possible. Beanie and gloves also? They don't weigh all that much so maybe it's good insurance to leave them in the pack. Ditching the thermals on the other hand could could make my pack 250 grams lighter.:geek:

Forgot to mention that the plan ist to leave St. Jean PdP on 20th May 2013... I love the mountains, so the high road will be my preference.

Peronel said:
I started April 22nd and hand torrential rain, achingly bright and hot days, and everything inbetween. No snow!

Think layers.

I was suprised how cold it was in the mornings - you're up and about at dawn, or not long after, and wore thick gloves all morning for the first couple of weeks.

I wore wool socks and it worked for me. After one unexpectedly hot day walking to Los Arcos, I bought a pair of coolmax socks in Viana, but they didn't work for me and and I gave them away the next day. There are shops all along the route, so you can buy things if you need.

Have fun!
Thanks Peronel,
Is thermal underwear a good idea or an overkill. I could sleep in it too and let it do double duty.
I will prepare for rain and hopefully mentally too. I know that if socks get wet then I am in for blisters, so will have 4 pairs of socks. I will also use Vaseline and tape the usual hot spots before the walk.
I have a large sun hat but I read that it is sometimes too windy for hats. If it is cloudy then I do not need it, but 6 hours of sun without a hat will kill me!
What are your thoughts on gators, especially if one has rain pants? The rain pants should shed water so that there is less of a chance of water getting inside the top of the shoes, but are short gaitors still a good idea?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I read that it is sometimes too windy for hats
I take a Tilley hat with a chin strap. Even in strong wind, it stays on my head. It can be very sunny when it is windy, too. Sunburn is right behind blisters for being uncomfortable.

Diegomartine said:
Hi Robbie!

I'm leaving SJPP on May 1st. We'll probably meet on the camino...

Buen camino.
Hope to see you Diego.
I start on the 28th but spend a night in Orisson. I also want to stop for a day in Pamplona to rest and to see the city, so we will catch up somewhere.Hope so, anyway.
I hope I get some companions for the walk to Orisson and then onwards over the mountain. Sometimes the path may not be too easy to see so the more eyes the better.
Buen Camino!
Robbie

Those Tilley hats look like they are the business ! I had a hat with a drawstring thing that kept it on my head, however, although it had a SPF 50 it was not waterproof, so I have bought a hat, with a drawstring, SPF , that is also waterproof for the next camino .

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thermals are probably overkill unless you're particularly cold sensitive.

I walked in a skirt (my legs are waterproof, and washing the mud off t the end of the day is easy) so I have no opinion on gaiters!

falcon269 said:
I take a Tilley hat with a chin strap. Even in strong wind, it stays on my head. It can be very sunny when it is windy, too. Sunburn is right behind blisters for being uncomfortable.
The Tilley hat was one of the best buys I made for the Camino, equally good in both rain and sunshine. I left on April 20th just before Peronel and had the same conditions, brought silk thermals but never used them. Brought gloves and used them nearly all the time, didn't pack neck tube from motorbike and regretted it, used exoficio underpants, quick to dry, merino T shirts and Rohan hiking shirt, also quick drying, Bridgedale coolmax liner socks with Bridgedale trecking socks and used Silic 15 or "gloves in a bottle" barrier cream on my feet every morning. Not one blister in nearly 1000 km. Thank you God. :)

I used wool socks and, like Wayfarer, not a blister. Some people have more blistery feet than others, but don't assume they're inevitable. It's well worth trying different socks til you find what's right for your feet, as I was suprised how much of a difference it made.

Re: Re: Walking in May

wayfarer said:
falcon269 said:
The Tilley hat was one of the best buys I made for the Camino, equally good in both rain and sunshine. I left on April 20th just before Peronel and had the same conditions, brought silk thermals but never used them. Brought gloves and used them nearly all the time, didn't pack neck tube from motorbike and regretted it, used exoficio underpants, quick to dry, merino T shirts and Rohan hiking shirt, also quick drying, Bridgedale coolmax liner socks with Bridgedale trecking socks and used Silic 15 or "gloves in a bottle" barrier cream on my feet every morning. Not one blister in nearly 1000 km. Thank you God. :)

How thick were the gloves out of interests sake? Thick ones or would thin ones suffice?

To Herman -- I always carry a pair of lambswool gloves. They do the trick for me and I wouldn't walk without them. Not only are they good for early morning hours, I find that if I put them on when walking in one of those relentless, cold, all-day Galician rains, my hands stay warm. That makes wool far superior to any high tech material.

peregrina2000 said:
To Herman -- I always carry a pair of lambswool gloves. They do the trick for me and I wouldn't walk without them. Not only are they good for early morning hours, I find that if I put them on when walking in one of those relentless, cold, all-day Galician rains, my hands stay warm. That makes wool far superior to any high tech material.
Hi Peregrina,

Thanks for the tip. I have some thick but relatively light thinsulate fleece gloves I was considering packing, but as you say wool has the advantage especially in the wet. How much do the wool gloves weigh? Are they gloves or mittens? I'm in the fine-tuning stage of my packing at the moment, where every gram counts.

Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi, Herman,
I do not know how much the gloves weigh, but they are LIGHT. They are wrist length lambswool, and I picked them up at a shop in Heathrow many years ago on the way home from a Camino in which I had no gloves during an all-day rain. since then I've used them every year.

I did a quick google search, and they look like this: http://www.sierratradingpost.com/johnst ... n~p~5328m/

You'll see the specs for the product say they are 1.2 oz in weight.

Hope this helps, buen camino, Laurie

p.s. 1.2 oz = 34 grams according to my online calculator.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi Herman,
I have hands that feel very cold especially when they are wet. I figured that we will get rain and cold and having wet gloves would be no fun.
So I have bought waterproof gloves. They are actually a glove similar to what cyclists use, with a seperate removable waterproof glove on the outside that you use only when you need the extra protection.
I will also take a a very light wollen mitt that I got from the $-Store for $1 and they work just fine for my use here when the temperatures are above freezing.
The gloves will allow me to grip my walking pole better than a mitt.

Hi Herman, I used Berghaus liner gloves and they were fine but got a bit cold when wet, I have since bought "EDZ" merino liner gloves and I hope they will keep me warm when wet as wool is supposed to do. I have had no trial with them yet, will keep you posted.

Hi Camino-groovers, many thanks for the wealth of information. I expected to get wet at some stage, but for some strange reason I never considered my hands getting wet. One thing I can attest to though, is that I absolutely and thoroughly hate hate hate having cold hands, especially when playing guitar, but thats not something that's going to be happening on the Camino. Some good ideas there and food for thought definitely. Thin wool, over gloves, even socks... thanks Al, you are the optimist. Hadn't thought about mittens interfering with the pole grip, also a very good point as my trusty lekis will be accompanying me on the journey. One thing is sure though, I ain't going to learn the hard way! Thanks again. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I've been trying out Smartwool socks. They fit great but take a long time to dry after I hand wash them. Is that your experience? Should I just take 3 or 4 pair of Smartwool with me during my Sept. 2013 Camino or try another material? What sock materials are quick drying?

Also, rain pants or gaiters? I have both.

Hi, flmike,

I take two of everything except for socks -- I bring three pairs of socks. My experience is like yours, that the socks take a bit longer to dry, and I frequently have to pin them to the outside of my pack in the morning. Having that extra pair in case of a combination of a rainy day and a pair of wet socks from the night before means that I will always have dry socks.

I also have both gaiters and rain pants, but bring neither. I used to bring one or the other, with no clear preference, but a few years ago just left them both behind. That's one way to avoid the decision. :)

Buen camino! Laurie

Laurie,

Thanks for the reply. You say you don't use rain pants or gaiters. Does the rain ever get into your boots from the top?

I have water resistant nylon hiking pants, not the rain pants, that cover the tops of my boots. I'm wondering if these pants will be enough to keep the rain out of my boots.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi, flmike,

Oh, yes, the rain always gets into my boots, I've just given up on trying to stop it. I may be the world's unluckiest pilgrim, but I have never found that my goretex boots really keep my feet dry when it matters -- that is, when it is raining for 6 hours a day and you're out walking in it. I just bought a new pair of boots for this year, goretex again, so maybe I'll bring the gaiters -- another triumph of hope over experience! I think gaiters are slightly preferable to the pants, just because they are so easy to get on and don't make you as hot.

My other hope is that Spain is going to be done with rain by May this year, given the huge amounts that have fallen since January! Buen camino, Laurie

HermanTheGerman said:
I'd like to know what temperatures to expect when walking from St. Jean PeP to Roncevalles in late May. Could someone offer their experiences to clarify this issue?

I walked SJPDP to Roncesvalles on late May 2011 and the morning started very cool; lower 50's. The walking will warmed you, but expect the temps to stay around 50's-upper 60's. The peculiarity about this section is that since you are walking on high nountains you need to think 50's deg F temps, but once you crossed over then late May will be more upper 70's. The nights at Roncesvalles are very cold, so prep for that. The thermals may be a good idea for the night at Roncesvalles, but not much use after that if walking in Late May. If you have to bring, bring silk thermals. Very, very warm, and light as a feather.

Hi Olivares, thanks for the info. As soon as I get a chance I'll convert the temperatures into celcius and it'll be a little more clear for me. I'm considering taking some thin but robust rock climbing pants for afternoons or nights and am hoping they'll be warm enough. Was hiking through meter deep snow last weekend with minimal layers on... No problem if you keep moving and expending energy, but as soon as you stop that's when you notice the cold. Was good to have an extra fleece in the backpack. Sleeping in a huge stone building in Roncesvalles I guess would add to the cold factor.

Burn Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

peregrina2000 said:
Hi, flmike,

Oh, yes, the rain always gets into my boots, I've just given up on trying to stop it. I may be the world's unluckiest pilgrim, but I have never found that my goretex boots really keep my feet dry when it matters -- that is, when it is raining for 6 hours a day and you're out walking in it. I just bought a new pair of boots for this year, goretex again, so maybe I'll bring the gaiters -- another triumph of hope over experience! I think gaiters are slightly preferable to the pants, just because they are so easy to get on and don't make you as hot.

My other hope is that Spain is going to be done with rain by May this year, given the huge amounts that have fallen since January! Buen camino, Laurie

I'm taking a pair of these... The reviews are all good!

https://www.globetrotter.de/shop/waefo- ... iv-113450/

Robindra said:
I will start in SJPP on April 28 and wonder what to expect for weather during the month of May. I am wondering about temperatures, wind and rain.
I know this is a variable and the weather maps are somewhat useful, but it would be nice to hear from pilgrims as to what their experience has been. Any recommendations about warm clothing- fleece, hat, gloves, underpants, etc?
My outer sock is a wool hiking sock and is quite thick and warm, and I am wondering if this will be issue. I do not want to change it as it will alter the fit of my shoe. Any thoughts?
Robbie

Hi Robbie

Back in 2007, my wife and I started from Saint Jean PdP on April 25. We spent almost the entire day crossing over the Pyrenees walking in fog and mist. That said, I wore shorts and a t shirt, stopping only to put on my fleece and jacket when we stopped for a break. The weather the next week was a mixture of cloud and sun, when on May 1 it rained so much we finally stopped mid day to get out of our wet clothes and boots.

However by the time we reached Burgos the temperatures were in the high 30's and we sweated our way across the Meseta, in the blazing sun.

Two years later I did the camino again but this time starting May 20. Again I ran into fog and mist crossing the Pyrenees but this time the temperatures were cooler, so much I ended up wearing gloves and a hat for most of that day. But then a few days later, the temperatures had climbed into the high 30's - it was sunny and hot. But by the time we reached Burgos on June 1 the day temperatures barely got over 15 degrees. As we crossed the Meseta most days I wore my fleece most mornings, not taking it off until the afternoon.

So expect all types of weather at this time of the year. Come prepared for anything, meaning you want something for possible rainy days, and cooler temperatures, and alternatively something for the hot, humid and sunny days that may follow.

Regards

Has anyone tried waterproofing spray for shoes? I love my ASICS trail shoes, no blisters, great fit, good grip - but am worried about rain. I saw some waterproofing sprays for shoes on Amazon that say they do not affect breath-ability of tennis shoes.
Would love feedback on this. I am beginning May 6th, and I expect rain.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
wayfarer said:
...used Silic 15 or "gloves in a bottle" barrier cream on my feet every morning. Not one blister in nearly 1000 km. Thank you God. :)
Hi Wayfarer - did one 75gm tube of Silic 15 suffice? or did you need two? (from SJPP to SdC) I'm using it in my training and it's magic. Bill

I saw some waterproofing sprays for shoes on Amazon that say they do not affect breath-ability of tennis shoes.
I don't think you should expect much from them. They may make the water bead an roll off for a while, but the water will penetrate in any real rain. The sprays need to be renewed regularly, so you will need to carry the can with you. Any real waterproofing would destroy the breathability. After all, for moisture to get out, it also has to get in, so true waterproofing is not porous. Think plastic or rubberizing. Anything else is better described as water repellant, and a good Spanish rain will defeat it, particularly if you have heavy rain for several days.

Better would be to decided how you will deal with wet boots. Silicone and/or Vaseline/petrolatum will help with friction on the skin. Plastic bags or Sealskin socks will keep feet dry even if the boots are wet. You can dry boots by stuffing them with newspaper or rice. Talc powder helps. Avoid cornstarch products, which will make your boot interior pasty. Put on dry socks. Wear gaiters (sort of effective, though most gaiters allow water through at the toe of the boot).

My husband and I walked through Viana, Spain last year. I bought a pair of Coolmax socks and would like to buy more pairs. I am not able to find the same socks in the U.S. does anyone happen to know the name of a store in Viana that sells trekking/hiking socks?
Thank you,
Nancy Powers

In 2011 I've done the whole SJPDP to Finisterra CF from 15th of May until end of June. Also in 2009 at about same time I walked from SJPDP to Logrono. Both times I had very mixed weather on the first stage to Roncesvalles. Sun and very hot at the start and cold, rain drizzle and fog at the end :) Later on I must admit I've had a lot of luck with weather - rain to say. More problems were with very strong and chilly northern wind on the Meseta, especially between Burgos and Leon. I was an alpinist in my erly days and used to sleep even wet, in standing position in the wall when temperature reached down to -20 Celsius. But the Meseta gave me hell. Constant wind for 9 days. Even locals told me that it was unusual.

Therefore I would recomend "onion-style" (as we say) e.g. multiple layers for the wind/cold. Also I think the good water/wind proof jacket is essential. You just might to carry it to the end without using it, but you never know. I know only app.10% of the pilgrims that had nice weather crossing the Pyrennes. A plastic poncho is OK for the rain and wind, but if the temperatures are normal, you'll be even more sweaty underneath. So I think the best combination for cold or wind is T-shirt, fleece jacket and in the final stage something like GoreTex jacket.

Buen Camino!

I used wool socks and, like Wayfarer, not a blister. Some people have more blistery feet than others, but don't assume they're inevitable. It's well worth trying different socks til you find what's right for your feet, as I was suprised how much of a difference it made.
I've tried sock liners, and for me they produced blisters--the slide between the liner and the sock. Blisters were a big aggravation for me on the Camino two years ago, so I've been experimenting when I hike in the Sierra Nevadas. I seem to do best with middle weight wool socks, REI variety. Last few long hikes in Yosemite had no blisters with that method. I'm also going to use orthotic insoles that a physical therapist friend of mine fits, to stabilize my feet, and I'm going to start slow. That's the plan--don't want to do blisters again.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I left SJPdP on May 22 last year and the Napolean was "closed" due to bad weather.

Regular, thin tech pants worked well for me even in that very cold, rainy, windy weather.

I used thermal undies for sleepwear. I didn't have gloves and wished I had. Just make sure they can grip your hiking poles. In poor weather, keeping your balance will be especially important.

Make sure your boots fit with heavier socks, if that is the way you want to go. I used sock liners and changed to different types of hiking socks over them daily.

As far as waterproofing boots, I used Merrell Moab Ventilators, which have mesh. They got wet, oh boy, did they get wet, along with my socks and feet. But when I reached the albergues each night, I took care of my boots first thing. I took out the liners (propping them inside the boot so air could circulate) and stuffed each boot with newspaper. Before I went to sleep, I took out the soaking wet newspaper and put new, dry newspaper in each boot.

Every morning, the boots were completely dry!

Granted, they didn't stay that way for long. :rolleyes:

Buen Camino!

Very helpful indeed! Especially that newspaper trick. I'm going to re-"water-proof" my Marmot gortex, which kept me dry in Galicia the last time. Regarding the gloves, I know that Black's, in the UK, makes some great, thin gloves. In the USA, I have found that DeFeet, which makes gloves for cyclists, has some very good ones, and I get them at my local bike shop. (Good for cold weather fishing, too.) They have grips and you can operate a cell phone with them. They also come in wonderful, electric yellow--pretty handy if you start walking in the dark.

Dear Pilgrims,

I love this thread on May, I start on 1st May but am stopping at Orisson that night.
My question to throw into the melting pot is that I am totally covered in terms of my top layers, however on my legs I plan to walk in shorts and rather than taking hiking trousers or zip off alternatives I want to wear my running tights under my shorts should it be cold/windy (I do have waterproof trousers also) am I MAD? in doing so? or in your experience have you seen this mix previously?
jirit I welcome your thoughts on this?
Blessings
Blu

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am starting my walk early May also. I walked the Camino two years ago in July so I'm assuming the temperatures will be radically different. Any pointers? I was thinking of just bringing my running shoes seeing as that's what I walked in last time but I'm not sure my shoes will withstand the rain. They are super light and dry easily but that doesn't mean I want to walk 25km with soaked feet. I am not a fan of hiking boots and I won't get much use of them in Texas. Hopefully there is a waterproof option.

I used what we called a "boonie hat" in the Army; it is of a canvas-like material, can be shoved into a pack, provides shade because of its 2" brim and weighs little. It has a strap that goes under the chin that can be tightened so it won't easily blow off; however, it is not water proof.

Dear Pilgrims,

I love this thread on May, I start on 1st May but am stopping at Orisson that night.
My question to throw into the melting pot is that I am totally covered in terms of my top layers, however on my legs I plan to walk in shorts and rather than taking hiking trousers or zip off alternatives I want to wear my running tights under my shorts should it be cold/windy (I do have waterproof trousers also) am I MAD? in doing so? or in your experience have you seen this mix previously?
jirit I welcome your thoughts on this?
Blessings
Blu

Hello Graham,

I've worn running tights (skins) on cold/wet days on the Camino and the coast-to-coast in England. On cold days I also wore light hiking trousers, and on wet days waterproof trousers. The skins were terrific: as you know, they're light, they keep your legs warm, and they help to reduce leg weariness. I think your plan is excellent.

Buen Camino, Wes

Hello Graham,

I've worn running tights (skins) on cold/wet days on the Camino and the coast-to-coast in England. On cold days I also wore light hiking trousers, and on wet days waterproof trousers. The skins were terrific: as you know, they're light, they keep your legs warm, and they help to reduce leg weariness. I think your plan is excellent.

Buen Camino, Wes

Hi Wes,

That's excellent feedback, just the affirmation I needed, thank you so much
Blessings
Blu

In 2013 it was a story of heavy rain and quite a bit of late snowfall lasting until early June and according to locals, the worst winter in history. I return to Biarritz late in February 2014 and will start posting some anecdotal weather reports based on what I can see from on la Rhune which is a good indicator of the conditions on the Route Napoleon.

Good point, Al. I have done that, in my pre-lambswool days, but since I don't wear wool socks, there was no warmth provided in the rain.

What happens then once your lambswool gloves get wet? Do they dry quickly? Does the dampness bother you at all? I don't have any wool clothing so I wouldn't know. If you state that they keep you warm then I'm assuming they both dry quickly and don't stay damp...

Laurie,

Thanks for the reply. You say you don't use rain pants or gaiters. Does the rain ever get into your boots from the top?

I have water resistant nylon hiking pants, not the rain pants, that cover the tops of my boots. I'm wondering if these pants will be enough to keep the rain out of my boots.

I am thinking of buying nylon hiking pants myself. But am worried that they will simply end up with me sweating profusely because they may make my legs hot if they don't breath easily. Can anyone comment on nylon hiking pants and their experience with them?

Please and thank you.
Antonio.

I am thinking of buying nylon hiking pants myself. But am worried that they will simply end up with me sweating profusely because they may make my legs hot if they don't breath easily. Can anyone comment on nylon hiking pants and their experience with them?

Please and thank you.
Antonio.

Hi Antonio,

Do they not do a 'Nike' 'DRI-FIT' or similar in Canada?
Blu

Nice to see the cúpla focail..

I am starting on the 17th April, hoping to get to Santiago by 21st May. Booking flights today. Not sure if I feel trepidation or excitement! Is it foolish to book the flight home before I even start?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You probably feel a bit of both Shivers and that is normal ahead of a great adventure. You will be a week ahead of me (April 24th). You could always book as you get closer to Santiago or else give yourself 3 or 4 days grace when you book to cover all events. If you come in on schedule you can explore the city and region till flight time.
Have a great Camino.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
What happens then once your lambswool gloves get wet? Do they dry quickly? Does the dampness bother you at all? I don't have any wool clothing so I wouldn't know. If you state that they keep you warm then I'm assuming they both dry quickly and don't stay damp...

How quick the wool dries depends on a lot of factors, but wool will reflect and keep your body heat whilst wet, unlike most man made fibers. Personally I like untreated sheep wool, as I find it takes longer for it to get saturated with moisture, keeps it shape whilst wet, that it dries faster and gives better warmth when wet than "superwash" treated wool. However, it does felt/shrink (a lot) easier.

A thin pair of sheep or alpaca wool gloves is likely to weigh between 40 and 60 grams, so not much. I generally get things like hats/mittens/gloves a bit larger than what I need. Then fill the sink with slightly soapy water and felt them a bit, helps with water resistance, too.

I love my wool gloves and have several pairs:) Would not go walking without them.

I've been trying out Smartwool socks. They fit great but take a long time to dry after I hand wash them. Is that your experience? Should I just take 3 or 4 pair of Smartwool with me during my Sept. 2013 Camino or try another material? What sock materials are quick drying?

Also, rain pants or gaiters? I have both.
HI flmike,
I use smartwool socks in my training (my first camino is this May/June). The ones I found that do dry in a reasonable time are the ultralight hiking socks. I use a liner injinji toe sock with that and each can dry quickly enough (double layer socks just didn't dry fast enough for me in my "testings".
Good luck
Stefania

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yay smart wool! Unless it's raining you can hang them from your pack in the sun & they'll dry out in a hurry.

Has anyone tried waterproofing spray for shoes? I love my ASICS trail shoes, no blisters, great fit, good grip - but am worried about rain. I saw some waterproofing sprays for shoes on Amazon that say they do not affect breath-ability of tennis shoes.
Would love feedback on this. I am beginning May 6th, and I expect rain.
My Merrell boots are waterproof and let me just say this: when it rains torrentially on the Camino NOTHING is waterproof! I had a poncho, a waterproof jacket, etc, etc... and I got soaked. My only solution was to seek shelter in a semi-abandoned horse barn. I saw it a distance and thought about continue walking until the thunder lighting started... THAT was a game changer! I ran to the barn and busted through the door only to find two Japanese pilgrims already taking shelter in. We waited for the lighting to stop and stepped out even thought the trail was flooded. The Merrell boots were no match for this rain! By this time there was a group of about 10 of us maneauvering the trail and helping each other. I still remembered the French lady who freaked out a bit when we had to go over a flooded bridge just before Estella. We could definitely see the path and the flood water was not running strong nor too high so we "daisy-chained" it; still, she was a wreck. It is certainly true what is said about how the Camino provides; among all of us we were so comforting to each other. Bless this people anywhere they are today....

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back