• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in Oct & Nov — Norte or Frances?

Which is the better first-timer route for Oct/Nov?

• Norte

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Frances

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

focalmatter

¡Hola! I'll be walking the Camino for the first time from roughly 20 Oct through 29 Nov and was originally planning on walking Norte, but the more research I do, the rainier and colder it sounds like it's going to be. It also sounds to be a lot more desolate, and while I'll be walking for myself, I am looking forward to meeting and sharing the road with other peregrinos.

Should I instead opt for walking Frances, or will the Norte route still be a great experience that late in the year?

¡Gracias!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I'm doing the Frances right now. I'm in Sarria as I write this. I have enjoyed the journey so far. I started in Ponferrada. This is my only Camino, but I would recommend the Frances. There is just the right amount of support along the way.

¡Hola! Greetings from Jerusalem! Camino Norte is almost always rainy and cooler then Camino Frances, it is never desolate, isolated perhaps but not desolate. You will find a different sort of pilgrim, just as dedicated and just as friendly but usually one who is attempting to escape the crowds of CF. October/November will see fewer pilgrims on CF but still many many more then up North. How are your knees? The Camino Norte is not the straight and narrow, be prepared for steep ascents and, for those of us who have aged less gracefully, steep descents which will try your stamina, your body and your will. The CF will give you the more popular "recognized" Camino experience, the CN is more a personal journey into yourself. My personal advice for a neophyte? Camino Frances just to see whatsup, if you become, like me, obsessed, the Camino in all its glory from Camino Norte to Lisbon to Le Puy to Vezelay will be there waiting for you whenever you choose. Buen Camino whatever your final decision.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for the replies! The arduousness of the route isn't as much of a concern—though pushing 40 I'm in the best shape of my life, and it could be years before I take on the Camino again and can't guarantee I'll be in better shape then than now. Likewise, I've done my share of hiking and trail camping here in the States so I'm not too afraid of a more challenging trail.

My main concern is primarily the weather this late in the year. Though I'm no shrinking violet, I'd prefer to avoid having my trek (from Irun) more often rainy than not. As far as isolation goes, that was one of the things that drew me to CN; I'm doing the walk to clear/sort my head, and while I'm looking forward to meeting and interacting with other pilgrims in the towns and albergues, I'd prefer to spend my hiking mostly alone. Part of me feels it'd "break the spell" if I were constantly seeing other pilgrims on the road as I humped along.

A last word:

"There's no discouragement
Shall make him once relent
His first avowed intent
Too be a pilgrim."

John Bunyan
PP

I agree with Scruffy. I'm doing the Norte in September, however, imho, I feel that the first Camino should be the Frances, regardless of conditioning, weather, etc. To me it sets the stage for future caminos, whenever or wherever they might be.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
¡Hola! I'll be walking the Camino for the first time from roughly 20 Oct through 29 Nov and was originally planning on walking Norte, but the more research I do, the rainier and colder it sounds like it's going to be. It also sounds to be a lot more desolate, and while I'll be walking for myself, I am looking forward to meeting and sharing the road with other peregrinos.

Should I instead opt for walking Frances, or will the Norte route still be a great experience that late in the year?

¡Gracias!
I have the Frances (22 months ago) and Norte (2 months ago) under my belt.
Prior to doing the Norte (yet deep in the planning of it) this question was asked. I answered that I thought everyone should have a Frances experience! I felt passionate about that answer...I loved it so! I thought everyone needed that social association and that it would leave them drooling for more Camino experiences, it did me. I am really happy that I did the Frances and the Norte in that order. However...after doing the Norte I will honestly say I would never give that same advice again. That does not mean I don't recommend that for a huge chunk of the population but I no longer can "slam dunk" recommend that.

I will give you the example that keeps popping up in my head. I live in a pretty social neighborhood. I walk my dog with my dear friend through this neighborhood. I will stop and talk to everyone that we pass...she on the other hand will always be waiting for me at the sidewalk and wanting to push ahead and continue walking. I slow her down...she does not need (nor want) the social interaction that I gravitate to (asking about the kids, the dogs, discussing the breed of dog etc... etc...). As I walked the Norte I thought of my advice given here prior to leaving and thought I need to take that advice back. A person such as my friend should, in my opinion, do the Norte first. 80% plus of the folks I met on the Norte had not done the Frances.

With that said I have no favorite Camino...loved them both for different reasons. The Frances gave me the social Camino that I needed, the Norte gave me the cerebral Camino that I didn't know I wanted, it gave me nature, it gave me tons of opportunities to socialize with the Spanish residents along the way.
For some reason in your first question I thought "Frances" but in your response down in the thread I thought "Norte".

I believe there is a population of folks that can only answer this question for themselves ( with some research)...deep down I think you might fall into that.
With that said whatever you decide you will be thrilled with your choice.

Sorry I am no help but your question gave me the perfect opportunity to take back my previous "must do Frances first"...

Coming from the States and far from retirement year many of us must really think about this question, it is difficult for many to just hop on the plane and feed our obsession.
Edited to add I am not voting in the poll as I really don't knwo what to tell you :(
Wish I did!

If dry weather and a bit of head space are required, you might want to consider the Via de la Plata.

A November pilgrimage is out of season, and as such you're likely to have plenty of space. One problem you will face is shorter days, with a late sunrise and light fading by about 5pm. Another is accommodation, because much of it is seasonal. I haven't walked in November, and it seems you have yet to hear from any who have, but there are winter pilgrimage threads and blogs you can search for on this forum, and you will find there are a hardy few who only ever walk in winter.

I wouldn't normally reply to a thread when I have no personal experience of the thing you're asking about, but one aspect of your question leapt out at me - your age. Nearly 40! May I reassure you on this point: you are only about HALF the age of many people undertaking the pilgrimage for the first time, either on the Frances or the Norte. God willing, you have many, many years of happy exploring ahead

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks again for all the input and feedback, folks! I think I'll be doing Frances this time around, mostly because Norte sounds like it'll be a little too empty that time of year (and many of the few-and-far-between albergues will be shuttered by then) and because it'll be too cold/rainy to go swimming. I'll do Frances this autumn, then, and just come back in a future summer to hit Norte. Maybe I'll even get a chance to to Portugues or Plata at some point as well. :)

¡Hola! Greetings from Jerusalem! Camino Norte is almost always rainy and cooler then Camino Frances.

Más lluvioso sí, más frío no. Precisamente por ir por la costa, el clima es más templado por la influencia del oceano.

Yes it is more rain but not cold. Just to go along the coast, the climate is tempered by the influence of the ocean.

Cuánto va a llover o cuánto frío va haber este otoño, no lo sé, pero te pongo unos cuadros con las medias de cuatro ciudades por donde pasa el camino, dos del Camino Francés y dos del Camino del Norte.

How much will rain or cold will have this fall, do not know, but I put a few pictures with the means of four cities through which the road, two in the Camino Francés and two of the Camino del Norte.

Santander y Gijón en el Norte:

ScreenHunter_42Jul192329_zps68445c76.jpg

ScreenHunter_41Jul192329_zps36d425f9.jpg

Burgos y León, en el Francés:

ScreenHunter_43Jul192330_zps935fd006.jpg

ScreenHunter_44Jul192330_zps2d96d765.jpg

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.