A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Walking in October/November 2020 in Covid times

• Thread starter Deleted member 95762
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 95762

We are planning to walk the Camino Oct-Nov 2020 and were wondering how easy it will be to find accommodation. How safe is it?

Whether food outlets are generally open. What the weather might be like.

Thank you

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
Francés (2016 & 2017), Norte (2018), Francés-Salvador-Norte (2019), Portuguese (2019)
We are planning to walk the Camino Oct-Nov 2020 and were wondering how easy it will be to find accommodation. How safe is it?

Thank you
I think that the only good answers you will get will be the weather related ones.
You can't judge what lodging and eating options will be this Covid year based on normal years.

Lirsy

Camino(s) past & future
Primitivo, Norte, Francés, Volunteer Hospitalero.
The first question would be Which Camino?

If you are speaking about Camino Frances, Norte or Primitivo, I would say that you won't have any problems finding albergues. Not idea about the situation in other Caminos.

Un relation with safety, I am quite optimistic. I am walking the Camino Frances and I find it quite safe. Let's say safer or as safe as if I stay at my home city in a normal way of life. For sure more risky than if I stay locked at home ... Anyhow, this is a very subjective appreciation and I can fully understand people thinking just the opposite.

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
How safe is it?
If you browse through recent forum threads, you will see that there is great uncertainty and disagreement about whether it is safe right now, today. None of us has any idea whether it will be more safe or unsafe in Oct-Nov. The same uncertainty goes for lodging and restaurants.

For weather, it will be warm and sunny some days, cold and rainy on other days. I have walked several times at that time of year, and enjoyed it, but you must be prepared for all weather conditions.

Camino(s) past & future
Lots ;0)
Hi @SueKershaw, to be honest that doesn’t seem like much of a plan so far. UK citizens are under a government advisory not to travel to Spain which will mess up your travel insurance and impose a two week isolation on your return. There is accommodation available, limited and restricted but available. The same applies to refreshment opportunities and food. There are pilgrims on the road, mostly native Spaniards or Spanish residents and a few random extras. There is plenty of current information on the forum, please study and consider it. Then make a plan. Buen Camino

Harington

Camino(s) past & future
Vézelay/Francés 2011, Primitivo 2012, VdlP 2013, Via Domitia 2014, Inglés 2015, Francigena 2016

Thank you
By "Camino" you mean the Camino Francés? There could well be very different answers for the other caminos.

Ernesto.IT

Camino(s) past & future
2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018

Thank you
You should ask almost all of these questions at COVID 19.
No one can know the future but only guess.
Good Luck.

LTfit

Veteran Member
The first question would be Which Camino?

If you are speaking about Camino Frances, Norte or Primitivo, I would say that you won't have any problems finding albergues. Not idea about the situation in other Caminos.
I would disagree here. Many albergues on the Norte are closed now and those normally open will close in October. I've heard that there are also problems on the Vía de la Plata and Portuguese.

As far as the Francés is concerned most also close October 31st, maybe earlier if numbers drop significantly. In the past there was a list of "winter albergues" open after November 1st (mine was one of them) but I would be very surprised if this year that will work. I know that I will be closing earlier than initially planned.

The current health situation is changing daily, in fact as of tomorrow Santiago will be more restricted.

basquelady

Camino(s) past & future
CF (2013), CF Pamplona to V del Bierzo (2014), Baztanés, then CF (2016), CF Sahagun to SDC (2017)

Thank you
I check this site regularly and it is a bit worrying. Although the site is in Spanish, if you hover over the coloured circles, you can make sense of the outbreaks there are around where you are planning to walk. Not reassuring.

I would disagree here. Many albergues on the Norte are closed now and those normally open will close in October. I've heard that there are also problems on the Vía de la Plata and Portuguese.

As far as the Francés is concerned most also close October 31st, maybe earlier if numbers drop significantly. In the past there was a list of "winter albergues" open after November 1st (mine was one of them) but I would be very surprised if this year that will work. I know that I will be closing earlier than initially planned.

The current health situation is changing daily, in fact as of tomorrow Santiago will be more restricted.
Could you , please,expand on your statement "in fact as of tomorrow Santiago will be more restricted".Do you know what restrictions will be imposed on Santiago?
Thanks in advance.

domigee

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2020? Looks like.... nowhere! 😁

Thank you
First, which Camino? As for accomodation, have a look at https://www.gronze.com/
How safe is it? Err, how long is a piece of string? Sorry. I asked that same question whilst walking in Israel a few years ago (my husband ASKED me to) and I got a laugh. Of course. Same here. Who knows?
i’m sure you’ll find food, how regularly I don’t know. As for the weather, who knows again?

Last edited:

LTfit

Veteran Member
Could you , please,expand on your statement "in fact as of tomorrow Santiago will be more restricted".Do you know what restrictions will be imposed on Santiago?
Thanks in advance.
Here is the article in Spanish https://www.lavozdegalicia.es/notic...qUbZ8N7E7GAq7UB9i36vZ0OJYsHzZkx73z0rrTAjgHNxw

The occupancy in bars and restaurants will be further reduced to 50%. No one will be served at the bar. Inside and outside served while sitting only and max 6 people to a table. This is also true for the city of Ourense on the Camino Sanabres.

D

Deleted member 95762

Many thanks for all your helpful replies. As things stand currently we are travelling from the UK (tickets purchased) to begin our Camino Frances on 8 October 2020 from St Jean Pied de Port and hope to complete by 23 November 2020. We had planned to stay in the albergues which normally remain open at that time of year (recognising that some close earlier). We expect to stay in other types of accommodation when needed. The www.gronze.com website looks helpful for booking ahead. I appreciate that we can't predict the future and our plans may have to be scrapped entirely. But for now we are optimistically planning ahead as feel called to do so.

D

Deleted member 95762

Hi @SueKershaw, to be honest that doesn’t seem like much of a plan so far. UK citizens are under a government advisory not to travel to Spain which will mess up your travel insurance and impose a two week isolation on your return. There is accommodation available, limited and restricted but available. The same applies to refreshment opportunities and food. There are pilgrims on the road, mostly native Spaniards or Spanish residents and a few random extras. There is plenty of current information on the forum, please study and consider it. Then make a plan. Buen Camino
Thank you we do have a plan and have fully considered the implications regarding travel insurance and the issue of self isolating is not a problem for us. We fully recognise that this is a moving target but were interested to hear what the current situation is.

Graham O

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances planned 2020
Many thanks for all your helpful replies. As things stand currently we are travelling from the UK (tickets purchased) to begin our Camino Frances on 8 October 2020 from St Jean Pied de Port and hope to complete by 23 November 2020. We had planned to stay in the albergues which normally remain open at that time of year (recognising that some close earlier). We expect to stay in other types of accommodation when needed. The www.gronze.com website looks helpful for booking ahead. I appreciate that we can't predict the future and our plans may have to be scrapped entirely. But for now we are optimistically planning ahead as feel called to do so.
Hi Sue, I plan to start the Camino Frances on the 3rd October and have also booked flights in the hope they aren't cancelled again! Judging by Gareth's video posted on Wednesday we are in for a quiet Camino but he didn't report any problems with accomodation. Good Luck and Buen Camino

D

Deleted member 95762

Hi Sue, I plan to start the Camino Frances on the 3rd October and have also booked flights in the hope they aren't cancelled again! Judging by Gareth's video posted on Wednesday we are in for a quiet Camino but he didn't report any problems with accomodation. Good Luck and Buen Camino
Great to hear that we won't be alone! Hope to hear that you begin (maybe via this forum if you have the time/energy) and wishing you also the very best of luck, health and Buen Camino!

Jetsetjacqueline

Camino(s) past & future
none

Thank you

HI there!

Have you made your plans yet? I am going through a very very dark period of grief and have felt for many years I needed to go do this. I am feeling like I am sup to go now but fearful to go alone and not sure where to start as far as planning. Have you found out about weather in November? How do you find out what lodging will be open etc? Any tips? I would like to travel the month of November.
Jacqueline

D

Deleted member 95762

HI there!

Have you made your plans yet? I am going through a very very dark period of grief and have felt for many years I needed to go do this. I am feeling like I am sup to go now but fearful to go alone and not sure where to start as far as planning. Have you found out about weather in November? How do you find out what lodging will be open etc? Any tips? I would like to travel the month of November.
Jacqueline
I am sorry that you are going through a difficult time. There are many reasons to do the Camino and each of us has to find the right time for ourselves. There is a lot of useful info in the threads above re accommodation and I see Ivar has just uploaded another video from a pilgrim who has just completed. Check out gronze.com who have links to booking.com too. I have just been looking at weather today for Oct-Nov (we begin on the 8 Oct). Temps range from around 19 -3 degrees C so can be quite cold at night. Bring a lightweight sleeping bag and lots of thin layers. Good luck and post a question on the forum folk are really helpful.

Ernesto.IT

Camino(s) past & future

Thank you
I am sorry that you are going through a difficult time. There are many reasons to do the Camino and each of us has to find the right time for ourselves. There is a lot of useful info in the threads above re accommodation and I see Ivar has just uploaded another video from a pilgrim who has just completed. Check out gronze.com who have links to booking.com too. I have just been looking at weather today for Oct-Nov (we begin on the 8 Oct). Temps range from around 19 -3 degrees C so can be quite cold at night. Bring a lightweight sleeping bag and lots of thin layers. Good luck and post a question on the forum folk are really helpful.

judge yourself by this and then tell me.

Please there is no need to rush, there are more than enough vacancies in hospitals,

especially in intensive care.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 95762

judge yourself by this and then tell me.

Please there is no need to rush, there are more than enough vacancies in hospitals,

especially in intensive care.
I'm not really sure the point that you are making

Ernesto.IT

Camino(s) past & future
I'm not really sure the point that you are making
Hi SueKershaw
my point is that seeing this infernal and invisible enemy that is Covid 19,
increase day by day the number of infected people in Europe and in the world, I do not see why we insist on wanting to go to other countries and instead stay where we live without creating other problems for others.
If you want to help the world economically, just send the amount of money to that country you want . At the moment we don't know where to go (due to the virus) day after day.
We should try to respect the hundreds of thousands of deaths that we had and still have. We must have patience because I am sure that a solution will be found and then we will be able to move safely anywhere without causing inconvenience to others

This year I too, had to cancel my long Camino of over 3000 kilometers (
John o 'Groats-Rome, Via Francigena) I had already reserved the hostel for the flight, bus, train, bought 4 Credentials that I would need throughout the journey but luckily Ryanair canceled my flight for April 1st, otherwise I would have found myself in the middle of all this mess, considering that I would have to cross Scotland, England, France, Switzerland and Italy to Rome.
I will also have to wait very patiently.
I am sure that those nations will remain in place for a few more years.
In the end, as I wrote, if one wants to play Russia Rulet with one's own life and that of others then,
Please there is no need to rush, there are more than enough vacancies in hospitals, especially in intensive care.
I hope my explanation is clear enough, and answer your security question.
All the best

I forgot, to say after the 4 months of lockdown and the reopening of the Regions I have already walked 1300 kilometres, so you can see that there is not only the Camino but also the routes in your own country.

1600606513206.png

Ernesto

Last edited:

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
We are all entitled to our own opinion, but if we are not willing to take advice and possibly change our opinion there is not much point in asking questions about it.
You may have noticed that the poster who asked the initial question of this thread is not longer a member of this forum.

She said specifically that they "fully recognise that this is a moving target but were interested to hear what the current situation is". And I at least understood this mainly as a question about the current situation concerning accommodation available, bars, restaurant and shops open, etc. I'd agree with her that that there is little to no information whatsoever of this kind to be found at Worldometer so I fail to understand why someone posted a link to Worldometer and said "judge for yourself".

Last edited:

Turga

Camino tortuga
Camino(s) past & future
CF (Aug/Sep 2017)
CF (Aug/Sep 2018)
You may have noticed that the poster who asked the initial question of this thread is not longer a member of this forum.
Luckily, we are all free to leave this forum for whatever reason whenever we decide to do so.

Kathar1na

Camino(s) past & future
To Santiago and beyond (from home; Voie de Tours; Camino Francés; Biskaya; Manche; Via Brabantica)
Luckily, we are all free to leave this forum for whatever reason whenever we decide to do so.
Yes, that is true. It's just ... sometimes I fear that it is going to be a bleak winter. Those who walk or consider walking in Spain and/or travelling to Spain, after careful consideration of the pros and cons, will not post about their planning any longer or report from Spain any longer because they fear or are fed up with the backlash and all that's there to read are posts that sound exactly the same in October as they did in March this year. :rolleyes:. Well, there's always the Camino groups on Facebook ...

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
Camino(s) past & future
some and then more. see my signature.
Yes, that is true. It's just ... sometimes I fear that it is going to be a bleak winter. Those who walk or consider walking in Spain and/or travelling to Spain, after careful consideration of the pros and cons, will not post about their planning any longer or report from Spain any longer because they fear or are fed up with the backlash and all that's there to read are posts that sound exactly the same in October as they did in March this year. :rolleyes:. Well, there's always the Camino groups on Facebook ...

Luckily there are still some live threads left where forummembers post " on the ground " information like @roamingpaddy and his walk from O Cebreiro to Santiago.
Or the recent videos Ivar posted with interviews of pilgrims who made it to Santiago. I will stick to them and try ignoring some "self proclaimed fearmongering amateur -virologists " ;).
And yes people leave for different reasons here on this forum but I find it a pity the OP took this decision.

camroc

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Portuguese 2020

Thank you
Hi, I'm embarking upon my first Camino on the 26th of this month. From what I can make out, it's best to prepare for a mixture of conditions. You won't starve. Accomodation wise I'm bringing a tent and wiling to rough it a bit. Check out gronze.com I'm fairly sure there will be enough alberques open. Buen Camino

jsalt

Jill
Camino(s) past & future
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
I was sad to see the OP had left the forum. She had asked perfectly reasonable questions in light of the current situation and was shot down. I have been a member of this forum for many years, and quite honestly I’m scared to actually post anything anymore. Like many, I take it personally if I get negative responses; no doubt I will get some for this post . . . .

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
This is a delicate subject and I'm not sure how much discussion is appropriate here. On the other hand, it seems inappropriate not to discuss! Here is just my personal opinion...

The spectrum of opinions about walking the Camino this year has two extremes:
  • Nobody should walk the Camino in Spain now or in the indefinite future. In fact, they should not even entertain the possibility. If they do so publicly, and post questions on the forum, they should be lectured for their selfishness.
  • Anybody who wants, should make their way to Spain and should be free to ignore inconvenient recommendations, and we should cheer them along without judgement.
Obviously there is a lot of territory for nuances in-between these extremes. It is very difficult to really understand the motives, wisdom and circumstances of other forum members. Members come from very wide-ranging perspectives, places and conditions, and they can't explain it all in a short post on the forum to ask a question. We should try to give others the benefit of the doubt, and not take on a role that is better handled by the government regulations and controls. If you want to influence those regulations and policies, please take your words to the appropriate venue, which is not this forum. Otherwise the forum could collapse in argument and bad feelings, and lose its effectiveness as a place "where past pilgrims share and future pilgrims learn."

I think it is time for both the naysayers and the yaysayers to stop imposing their strong opinions on this subject at every opportunity. That would mean that:
  1. If a person is walking on the camino, and reports about it here, we should not lecture and criticize. Just stay away from those threads if they disturb you.
  2. If a person asks specific practical questions, and indicates that they are aware of the Covid complications and implications, we should stick to answering those questions.
  3. If a person asks for opinions about whether it is safe or wise to walk now (or in the near future), then we can give our opinions. But with courtesy and fairness.
  4. If a person is clearly naive or ignorant of the situation, some polite information and reference to good information sources does make sense.

nycwalking

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Ourense to Santiago (2019), CF: (2014, 2004, 2002, 2001). On to Fisterra, (2002, 4, 14).
I was sad to see the OP had left the forum. She had asked perfectly reasonable questions in light of the current situation and was shot down. I have been a member of this forum for many years, and quite honestly I’m scared to actually post anything anymore. Like many, I take it personally if I get negative responses; no doubt I will get some for this post . . . .
The world temperature at the moment is higher than the Australian to Western USA fires.

Whenever someone poses reasonable questions about the camino I view with mixed emotions; ranging from “are you kidding me” to “damn, I can’t go and neither should you”.

If we are to continue as a community we must lower the fiery temperature and accept others decisions to walk or not.

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
it is time for both the naysayers and the yaysayers to stop imposing their strong opinions on this subject at every opportunity. That would mean that:
  1. If a person is walking on the camino, and reports about it here, we should not lecture and criticize. Just stay away from those threads if they disturb you.
  2. If a person asks specific practical questions, and indicates that they are aware of the Covid complications and implications, we should stick to answering those questions.
  3. If a person asks for opinions about whether it is safe or wise to walk now (or in the near future), then we can give our opinions. But with courtesy and fairness.
  4. If a person is clearly naive or ignorant of the situation, some polite information and reference to good information sources does make sense.
This is really worth wider distribution.
We all have opinions, but please let's not follow the trajectory of polarization that is poisoning the wider world. Surely we pilgrims can figure out how to do that.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock