• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in October on CF - reserving rooms already?

Embee12

Time of past OR future Camino
First time: Fall 2022
Hi. Got my airline tickets about a month ago!

I'll be staying in private rooms the whole way (in albergues where possible, plus hostels, other places, depending on availability and price), and I've already reserved my first two nights.

I'm still contemplating my first walking days (and wanna ask you about that, too, eventually) - I want to start slowly, but also may want to pick it up quickly - don't know - first time on Camino/first time with long-distance walking - but I hope to reserve 2 or 3 nights (being attentive to cancellation dates).

People who are traveling in the fall and/or those with a sixth sense - are you starting to make room reservations?

Thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Embee12,

October/November is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights.

Although many albergues started to close mid October during earlier, easier years there was always some place open.

Check out this earlier Forum topic for earlier posts with helpful info re
walking in October- November.

Happy planning and whenever/wherever you do go
Carpe diem.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We are starting around the 18th of Septembe from SJPP so I guess we will be near Leon the first or second week of October. We reserved rooms mostly in pensions, municipals and small hotels until at least Burgos.

We will start reserving the rest of the way as we go. Most of them were done thru Hotels.com so we can change them as we need to until about three days prior. we are limiting our stays in albergues to just places where we have to for privacy and comfort. More expensive I know but that’s how we want it.

if you use this way as well, be careful planning around small gowns as the website sometimes puts you miles away from where you think you will be staying As the nearest option. We also used Google maps to find closer accommodations that aren’t listed with Hotels.com.

Beun Camino and good luck.

Some places will begin to close in October so you may want to think about that as you consider your options
Thanks for the heads-up! Seems that where I've been looking, both through links in Wise Pilgrim and booking.com, it indicates that they are or are not booking in advance. Sometimes places say to contact the lodging, so would always do that.

Embee12,

October/November is a great time to walk with generally golden days and cool nights.

Although many albergues started to close mid October during earlier, easier years there was always some place open.

Check out this earlier Forum topic for earlier posts with helpful info re
walking in October- November.

Happy planning and whenever/wherever you do go
Carpe diem.
Thanks for the encouragement! I read through that link - thanks - and also through yours, too. Since I'll be booking in advance (not just walk-up - or trying not to do that), hopefully it would let me know if they are not open.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We are starting around the 18th of Septembe from SJPP so I guess we will be near Leon the first or second week of October. We reserved rooms mostly in pensions, municipals and small hotels until at least Burgos.

We will start reserving the rest of the way as we go. Most of them were done thru Hotels.com so we can change them as we need to until about three days prior. we are limiting our stays in albergues to just places where we have to for privacy and comfort. More expensive I know but that’s how we want it.

if you use this way as well, be careful planning around small gowns as the website sometimes puts you miles away from where you think you will be staying As the nearest option. We also used Google maps to find closer accommodations that aren’t listed with Hotels.com.

Beun Camino and good luck.
Yes, I noted that as I looked on booking.com. You'll have clicked for the town, and it will show all optiona, and eventually outside the town option with how many km from the town the lodging is... but you could easily overlook that important piece of information! I'm also using the Wise Pilgrim app which will give a variety of lodging options, too. With google maps, once on the map lodging just pops up? (the way a gas station might back home?) Thanks.

Hi. Got my airline tickets about a month ago! Air Canada: San Francisco - stop in Toronto - Madrid. (They already changed the plane and timing on me once...) I'll be walking the CF from Leon-Santiago.

I'll be staying in private rooms the whole way (in albergues where possible, plus hostels, other places, depending on availability and price), and I've already reserved my first two nights in Leon.

I'm still contemplating my first walking days (and wanna ask you about that, too, eventually) - I want to start slowly, but also may want to pick it up quickly - don't know - first time on Camino/first time with long-distance walking - but I hope to reserve 2 or 3 nights after Leon (being attentive to cancellation dates).

People who are traveling in October and/or those with a sixth sense - are you starting to make room reservations?

Thanks.
I made a lot of my reservations a year in advance!

D
Hi. Got my airline tickets about a month ago! Air Canada: San Francisco - stop in Toronto - Madrid. (They already changed the plane and timing on me once...) I'll be walking the CF from Leon-Santiago.

I'll be staying in private rooms the whole way (in albergues where possible, plus hostels, other places, depending on availability and price), and I've already reserved my first two nights in Leon.

I'm still contemplating my first walking days (and wanna ask you about that, too, eventually) - I want to start slowly, but also may want to pick it up quickly - don't know - first time on Camino/first time with long-distance walking - but I hope to reserve 2 or 3 nights after Leon (being attentive to cancellation dates).

People who are traveling in October and/or those with a sixth sense - are you starting to make room reservations?

Thanks.
on’t get to constrained about reservasion especially in October

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I'm considering starting the Frances around that time (mid October, from either Roncenvalles or Saint Jean Pied de Port (depending on how the weather is when I get there).... I was hoping to not book at all and just see how things go!

There will be a large wave of pilgrims who leave St. Jean in September. If it is during the first half of October then someone like yourself would probably want to make as many reservations as you can, now. If it is during the second half of October then there will be less of a crush.

In terms of flexibility, if you reserve at lodgings that allow free cancellations then as you pick up your pace you will be able to adjust your bookings.

For the simplest method of finding lodgings close to the Camino then look at the places listed on gronze.com

I prefer not booking when I walk but each to their own. Buen Camino.

There will be a large wave of pilgrims who leave St. Jean in September. If it is during the first half of October then someone like yourself would probably want to make as many reservations as you can, now. If it is during the second half of October then there will be less of a crush.

In terms of flexibility, if you reserve at lodgings that allow free cancellations then as you pick up your pace you will be able to adjust your bookings.

For the simplest method of finding lodgings close to the Camino then look at the places listed on gronze.com

I prefer not booking when I walk but each to their own. Buen Camino.
I’ve usually walked in February-April and October-November. Other than checking which accomodation is open (as many places are seasonal) I’ve never found it necessary to reserve in advance. I have booked from time to time; but it’s never been a requirement.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.