• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in Sandals in Spring on Camino Frances

snowcone

Time of past OR future Camino
Leon to Santiago (MAY-JUNE 2013)
SJPDP to Santiago (APRIL-MAY 2017)
Has anyone walked a Camino in sturdy sandals? I'm headed to SJPP in mid-April and am considering making my alternate shoe something substantial enough to walk in, should I want to change out from my normal (and admittedly, heavy) backpacking boots.

I'm looking at Tevas, Chacos, etc. I see some Keen models with toe coverage - do you think this is beneficial?

Thanks!

Edit: So consensus is YES definitely take some. Which makes/models do you guys recommend?

Edit 2: Sandals are acquired! I ended up going for Chacos (though there were lots of great suggestions in this thread). I really wanted a pair without the toe strap so I could wear socks, and pretty minimalist in case I have blisters or want to shower in them. I've done some short test walks and they feel good so far, but the true test will be how they feel 25k in.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I took Teva Lights with me for the evening but actually walked in them for five days, this was due to a little blister on my little toe. I was worried about some of the terrain but they survived and I still wear them now. For me they were a life saver.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Definitely good to take some sturdy sandals. Change your socks and footwear after a few hours of walking and give your feet a breather.

I took Teva Lights with me for the evening but actually walked in them for five days, this was due to a little blister on my little toe. I was worried about some of the terrain but they survived and I still wear them now. For me they were a life saver.
I can't tell you how much I love my Teva sandals
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/womens/footwear/sandals/teva-toachi-2-women.html
Being a Camino virgin I can't comment but I am alternating 'training' in them and my Merrell Moabs. All going well I will continue to do this weather and conditions permitting on Camino. They only weight 500grams and are so comfortable, allowing my toes to move and breathe.

Mid April you will get rain, something to consider if you are wearing sandals

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
@snowcone no problem at all - I've walked the Camino Francés twice from SJPDP to SDC, in sandals, and the whole of the Norte. Mine are Ecco Off-Road - but get whatever is comfortable for you. The Teva Toachi mentioned by @Tigger are a good choice. It makes no difference to me if it is muddy or wet, I wade through water and with mud wash my feet and sandals in the next bit of clear running water.

Has anyone walked a Camino in sturdy sandals? I'm headed to SJPP in mid-April and am considering making my alternate shoe something substantial enough to walk in, should I want to change out from my normal (and admittedly, heavy) backpacking boots.

I'm looking at Tevas, Chacos, etc. I see some Keen models with toe coverage - do you think this is beneficial?

Thanks!

Edit: So consensus is YES definitely take some. Which makes/models do you guys recommend?

Snowcone:

I have seen many people walking in sandals. The Spring can be pretty cold and wet and many paths stony. If you do not mind removing pebbles and the occasional cold wet feet, go for it. I would not walk in the Spring in sandals. If you are talking about something in the evening after the days walk, that is different.

Ultreya,
Joe

Joe - Yes, I'm definitely taking my trusty, waterproof boots with me. I've walked from Leon to Santiago in them previously, so I know they're dependable. But it's easy to get hot spots wearing the same shoes day in and day out. I'm not fan of wet feet so sandals would be for the dry days.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Thanks!

I walked the whole way, including the Pyrenees, in Teva Terra Fi Lite Sandals, and my wife did it in Chaco's. We went in May/June '16. Neither got a single blister, and the mud was not a real problem. When they got dirty we just walked in a nearby stream for a few minutes. Most Albergues do not request removing sandals as you entered (though we often did). I carried a second 'clean' pair for evenings and as a backup because I doubt I could have found size 14 Teva's in Spain. We both wore socks on some days and no socks on others, depending on weather. Highly recommend sandals, but we have hiked in them for years, so was quite comfortable in that decision.

I walked entirely in May/June 2026 in Keen sandals.

Thanks!

Look for the Merrel sandals, walk for training.
I even walked barefoot, feels great in it.
I am taking it along with shoes cover for rainy days which my friend made mine.
3/20 Mon. I am off the Camino.
Buen Camino.
Cathy

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I can't tell you how much I love my Teva sandals
http://www.kathmandu.com.au/womens/footwear/sandals/teva-toachi-2-women.html
Being a Camino virgin I can't comment but I am alternating 'training' in them and my Merrell Moabs. All going well I will continue to do this weather and conditions permitting on Camino. They only weight 500grams and are so comfortable, allowing my toes to move and breathe.

That's great to hear. I just bought these for my 2018 Camino (first time) ..... I know, it's a long way off BUT I am SO EXCITED! :)

Hi, on second week of april I intended to do my first camino starting from Sarria (for the last 100km). I would like to do it with my keen sandals, but I'm worried about the weather. Is sandals with socks adequate for the cold? The weather forecast 3°C - 13°C. As I came from a tropical country, no chance for me to experience this kind of weather. Will be grateful if anyone can share with me your experience. Thank you :)

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.