• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking in September?

pippa

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 September.
For those that have walked the Frances way in September what shoes/boots etc etc did you choose?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For those that have walked the Frances way in September what shoes/boots etc etc did you choose?
Hi Pippa...welcome to the forum!! Loads of threads here about footwear for the Camino, its really down to personal choice. I had a pair of gortex Salomon boots, I prefer boots for added ankle support, and felt they would be better for keeping stones from entering, I would definitely use boots again. Loads of people used hiking shoes though.
Buen Camino

I walked my last days on Camino Francés in the beginning of September and then out to Finisterre/Muxía and Camino Inglés 10 days in September. I had sandals and no rain what so ever. I also brought a pair of lightweight Salomon Synapse clima shield (gore-tex like)hiking boots but I only used them over the Pyrenees and one more day and that was because I was not sure if my sandals would hold as they had a tear in the leather so I switched back to the boots but then decided to go with the sandals as long as they hold together. The sandals were heavier than my boots :)
570aab2010a611e3bdcf22000a1fbe62_7.jpg

IMG_20130702_205437.jpg

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Pippa
before I started my Camino this last September, I debated the choice of my shoes for a long time, because my feet are extremely sensitive. My guts told me to walk with my comfortable Adidas running shoes, my brain said to buy a pair of solid Lowa hikers, which I ran-in on 3 x 20km.

Big mistake. Comfy at first, their weight and stiffness played hell on my feet after 4-5 days, when I developed a nasty tendinitis that never left me 'till Santiago.
With the daily walks, my feet also bloated by about one size and the boots had no flexibility for this.

In Leon I purchased the lightest Mizuno running shoes they had in the store and it was like walking on cloud # 9. I managed the remainder of the Camino in spite of the tendinitis.

Rain? We've had some heavy after the Cruz de Fierro and I changed to my boots, but after one km of excruciating pain put on my runners again, never mind the wetness. My feet + shoes got soaked, yes, but the runners dried-up over night in Ponferrada and the rest of the trip was fairly dry, –as September mostly is–, they told me.

Conclusion? If /when I do the Camino (in September) again, my choice would be light running shoes with a good profile.

However, opinions on shoes are as manifold as there are peregrinos.

Buen Camino
Pierre aka Don Pedro

Last edited by a moderator:
If you think it's not going to rain in September, think again! We had seven days of it and on the meseta running shoes would have been flypaper! The mud was a bear! I wore a New Balance 967 walking shoe, NOT because of the support, NOT because it was light (only 15 oz) but because it was the ONLY shoe my foot was "happy" ! They're outdated now but I found another pair after I got home. Depending on the temperature I wore heavier or lighter socks.

Buen Camino

I just went to an Outdoor shoes store and asked the store expert. He came back with Merrell hiking boots, ankle-height, half- sized larger than regular shoes. I LOVED them. I am looking for a good pair of hiking sandals now and would advise that you get a pair as well.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I did an autumn Camino Frances.
Merrell Moab hiking shoes (not waterproof) with medium thickness woollen hiking socks.
One size larger than true fit (with hiking socks on).
No blisters.
Next time I'll take same in the mid length waterproof boots for extra ankle protection.
1/2 size large than true fit this time but in the wide version.
I used the house brand waterproof rather, than the Gortex ,as it is not as stiff and therefore more cushioned.
Regds
Gerard

I just completed my Camino Sept/Oct. I wore New Balance Gortex hiking boots. I encountered many people on the Camino that wore waterproof boots on rainy days and either sandals (Teva type) or running shoes on the hot/dry days and/or on the really flat terrain. My boots really helped on the rocky paths and the steep declines, but for my next Camino I plan on taking along a pair of running shoes. There is no item more important than your boots/shoes and one just has to decide what works best for them.

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Gore-Tex Northface hiking shoes were wonderful on my feet. Not a single blister and so comfy. We had only a short rainfall for about 10 minutes in the 2 weeks we walked in Sept, though. Anyway, years are not alike, better be safe than sorry.
Buen Camino :D

thanks guys for your replies, I do value your input.I have been tossing up between a pr of Merrells and
solomans, I will try them both on again. A few have mentioned bigger sizes of course, my feet do swell in the heat. I pinned from pinterest a interesting article on the various ways of tying shoe laces. thanks again for all of your replies.

Hello pippa,

Everybody is different, there is no such thing as a certain brand name or a cetain model is better than other. It is best for you to go to proper sports shop to ask for advice and try on different ones. Spend at least 30 minutes walking up and down the ramp to see whether your feet are rubbing against the boots in the front, the rear or the sides. If it is rubbing, in general, it is not the right size.

I have no experience of walking the camino in september. But i walked the cf in the spring of last year wearing a pair of regular salomon non-gortex hiking shoes. Result - no blisters or any other ailments.

Then this past winter, i walked with a salomon mid-ankle hiking shoes with gortex, again luckily, no blisters or any other ailments.

My experience is that with waterproof gortex, still it will not keep your feet dry, especially when the heavy rain in combination with strong wind is blowing side ways. Also your feet do not breath.

So buy whatever is comfortable for you. If you ask 10 experienced walkers, you will get most probably 10 different recommendations.

Buenn camino. Have a happy christmas and god bless.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
thanks guys for your replies, I do value your input.I have been tossing up between a pr of Merrells and
solomans, I will try them both on again. A few have mentioned bigger sizes of course, my feet do swell in the heat. I pinned from pinterest a interesting article on the various ways of tying shoe laces. thanks again for all of your replies.
Hi Pippa

I shall be on The Way in September anywhere from8th onward, of this year ( that's the plan anyhow) and hoping to initially know a few peregrinos to get started and take away a little of the fear :)
Hope to see you there.
Angela

I just went to an Outdoor shoes store and asked the store expert. He came back with Merrell hiking boots, ankle-height, half- sized larger than regular shoes. I LOVED them. I am looking for a good pair of hiking sandals now and would advise that you get a pair as well.
I bought these as well for Aug/Sept 2014. I love them!

Joining this thread as I need to buy new pair of very comfy walking shoes too ( keeping an eye on good advise out here)....I did end up with a tendonitis on my third day of hiking in the Camino ..,,. good thing I only did the last 110 km! Ended up buying a cheap but very comfy trainers in Arzua just to finish off my hike. The culprit was my very stiff hiking boots!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi Pippa

I shall be on The Way in September anywhere from8th onward, of this year ( that's the plan anyhow) and hoping to initially know a few peregrinos to get started and take away a little of the fear :)
Hope to see you there.
Angela

Hi Angela, I will be on my way 6th of September starting from SJPDP and doing around 370kms, how about you, are you doing it all? and are you travelling initially on your own. I am going with a small group, we have a guide and do the walking our way, if that makes sense. How is your planning going?
Love to hear back from you.
cheers
Phillipa.

Ultimately, everyone will choose footwear that they feel is appropriate for them.
But some persistent myths abound that color future caminoists footwear decisions.
What ever you decide, keep the following facts in mind.

1: It may or may not rain on your camino. Regardless of season. It may never rain, it may deluge daily, or something in the vast in-between of those extremes. You should not buy footwear based on a fear of that unknowable unknown.

2: Waterproof boots are generally the heaviest and least breathable footwear you could use, and they will not keep your feet dry 100% of the time. Your feet might take longer to get wet, but eventually the moisture gets in one way or another. The moisture of sweat also gets trapped inside. When your waterproof boots get wet, they take forever to dry.

3: It is OK to walk with wet feet. Really. There is so much stress around here about how to avoid wet feet, like it is a camino-ending event. It is not. Do not be afraid of wet feet to the point that it is the sole guiding principle in your search for camino footwear.

4: Wet feet do not cause blisters. Really. Ill-fitting footwear (including socks/inserts), poor foot maintenance, and walking at an inappropriate (for your body/fitness level) pace or distance causes blisters. Wet feet can exacerbate the problem in ill-fitting footwear, but they are not the primary cause of it.

5: Mid-height boots do not offer any significant ankle support over low profile shoes. Hikers in boots can also twist, sprain, strain and break their ankles and legs. Hiking poles will offer more stability and ankle protection than mid-height boots.

FYI, this is what I wear:
Asics Gel Venture trail runners:
http://www.asicsamerica.com/Shop/Fo...66.7990?shoeSizeCode=8&shoeWidthCode=standard
41VbNmQFPyL._SX395_.jpg

Gel toe separators (sometimes, especially on flat, paved-trail walking):
http://www.footsmart.com/P-FootSmar...arating-Socks-pr-40342.aspx?cm_vc=recs_pp2_io
40342_NONE

Single layer, low-profile cushioned synthetic/cotton socks:
http://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pd/d...ining-socks/pid-846608/pgid-846609#Learn-More
Nike-Dri-FIT-Cushion-No-Show-Tab-Training-Socks-3-Pair-SX4841_984_A.jpg

I have been wearing Merrell Moab Mid Goretx boots since last August on all my practice runs. Wore them in rain, mud and snow and going up and down Mountain trails covered in loose rocks, best boots I ever owned!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ultimately, everyone will choose footwear that they feel is appropriate for them. [...]
FYI, this is what I wear:
Asics Gel Venture trail runners:

41VbNmQFPyL._SX395_.jpg
On many Caminos during various seasons for the past years I walked very happily with Merrell hiking boots, ankle height, Gore=Tex, Vibram.Recently I bought and walked with a shoe, similar to above: Timberland Earthkeepers. It is light, feels very comfortable,and will be tested in the coming "rough":cool:

Hi Angela, I will be on my way 6th of September starting from SJPDP and doing around 370kms, how about you, are you doing it all? and are you travelling initially on your own. I am going with a small group, we have a guide and do the walking our way, if that makes sense. How is your planning going?
Love to hear back from you.
cheers
Phillipa.

Hi Pippa
Than so much for replying.
Yes hoping to do the whole thing if I can get this end organised :)
Fairly flexible as far as absolute date but needed to pick a date to make it definite and to aim towards. Joining this forum is making it all the more do-able and real which is great. I'm loving that there are so many pilgrims setting off in September - when the plan is only in the head I visualise just me trudging along this long walk and that's what makes it seem daunting. Of course there are going to be others but actually hearing about and connecting with them is really pushing me on. Guess that's what'll happen on the Camino. Anyhow no trains or stuff like that booked yet - too early apparently!! But hope to see you on the way.
Keep in touch.
Warm regards
Angela

Nice to hear from you Angela, today on the forum there is a fabulous video someone posted. They left from SJPDP in September about 2012, but after watching it I wanted to go tomorrow, it gives you a good view of walking in September. Buen Camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hey Pippa, have gone from boots which I have always worn trekking, to hiking shoes. They were half the weight of my boots. Perhaps we might meet up along the way. Can't wait to start walking.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Fabulous..i start from sjpdp 7th just doing 382kms tho. Who knows we may cross paths but have a great camino...

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back