• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking in the rain.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi all. Tomorrow i´ll start El Salvador and later Primitivo . Expecting for storms and rain, but I feel my feet are burning in the need of walk. Hope to find any of you.
Buen Camino to you all honest people.

Looking forward to hearing your experience as I’m considering walking the same camino in 2019. Buen camino.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I really don't mind walking in the rain. Once you're wet, you can't get more wet. What I hate is walking in the slippery mud. It's tricky and you can get sprains and strains quite easy. Also, let's not forget lightning. Scares the *&^( out of me (ok everybody has phobias). But give me a nice gentle rain hitting the leaves and providing a background music of white noise....

Hi all. Tomorrow i´ll start El Salvador and later Primitivo . Expecting for storms and rain, but I feel my feet are burning in the need of walk. Hope to find any of you.
Buen Camino to you all honest people.
I think you will have a wonderful time! I think that these are two of the best! How did you find the Camino argonne? It seems to get mixed reviews. I want to walk it from Pau next year,and would welcome some advice. Concerning the rain; I walked the Primitivo last fall,and it had been raining for weeks, and I only saw one rainy day,so you never know. Buen Camino

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Based on the long-term forecast, it looks like we’ll be walking in the rain on the Primitivo for a while. I guess the upside is that the rain brings with it all that beautiful greenery.

What surprised me in september,was how green and damp and cool the Primitivo was last September. The bracket ferns and nettles were everywhere! I was happy for the nettles as I could rub them on my knee,which really helped. I can only imagine what it must be like in the spring! It never got over 65 degrees in the afternoons,but was still a wonderful walk. I recommend going through Friol and Lavacola, and avoiding the Francis entirely. Buen Camino

What surprised me in september,was how green and damp and cool the Primitivo was last September. The bracket ferns and nettles were everywhere! I was happy for the nettles as I could rub them on my knee,which really helped. I can only imagine what it must be like in the spring! It never got over 65 degrees in the afternoons,but was still a wonderful walk. I recommend going through Friol and Lavacola, and avoiding the Francis entirely. Buen Camino

Beeman, my wife and I will start the Primitivo this September, likely with September 13th being our first day of walking our of Oviedo.
Having walked our previous four Camino's always in April, we decided it was time to see Spain in a different season.
Hopefully our weather matches your experince as I prefer cooler weather to 35+C heat.
Will be watching the weather forcasts closely as we get within a few weeks of our departure.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Beeman, my wife and I will start the Primitivo this September, likely with September 13th being our first day of walking our of Oviedo.
Having walked our previous four Camino's always in April, we decided it was time to see Spain in a different season.
Hopefully our weather matches your experince as I prefer cooler weather to 35+C heat.
Will be watching the weather forcasts closely as we get within a few weeks of our departure.
Dreier. You never know what the weather will be in Asturias. It rained pretty solid for two weeks before I arrived in Oviedo,September 1,but only rained 1 day all the way to Muxia. The foliage reminded me of being on the wet west side of my state. The walk down to Grande dear saline was easy,despite what others have said. I would recommend staying in Bodenaya and castro,both were very nice. The walk out of Lugo on the way to from and the Norte was enchanting to say the least! The Camino Verde was well marked and very pleasant,and will not be muddy in the fall. Again,the comments about it being hard to follow seem outdated. As are the comments about walking to St. IRENE. We walked to Lavacola and then to santiago,and found the way well marked. I was not interesting in joining the hoards,and found it well marked all the way to Santiago. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me. I am 73 and had no trouble walking from Oviedo to Muxia in an easy 18 days. Buen Camino

Once you plan on getting wet, the rest comes easy... Being wet is part of the experience... Enjoy!
I couldn’t agree more. Rain hushes the everyday sounds around me. The world becomes softer and the forests look shiny green. I love walking in the rain. The quiet beauty of nature on a rainy day is a gift. Letting go of trying to stay dry will help lightens the heaviest of our troubles. Give in and enjoy. It’s fun.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
So...for heavy rains in the Summer/Fall months (late August to September) do people recommend a poncho?

Alternatively, a waterproof cover for the backpack and light-weight waterproof jacket?

So...for heavy rains in the Summer/Fall months (late August to September) do people recommend a poncho?

Alternatively, a waterproof cover for the backpack and light-weight waterproof jacket?
I prefer a poncho,but others prefer raincoats. I like a poncho as it is not so confining,and I could put it on and take it off on the go. On the Primitivo it would rain,then stop,then rain,then stop over and over. I have a poncho that is only 1.3 oz./yd,which is the lightest coated material there is,and covers my pack. Try several things,and find out what works for you. But in answer to your question,on the Primitivo you will need something!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Personal preference is a poncho. If rain is threatening I keep it in a reachable side pocket on my pack. If it starts doing more than a light sprinkle, I can reach into the pocket and grab the poncho, slip it on while still walking (or pausing), and it covers my pack as well.

I like the ample ventilation. I like that it can serve as a tarp or a sit pad. I can even wear it with a cord around my waist, for modesty purposes, if needed, to dry out clothing or do laundry. It also can serve as a makeshift privacy curtain when hung from a bunk. :)

Some have problems with wind... I don't. With a short learning curve, learning how to use a poncho in all conditions is pretty straight forward.

With a rain jacket, Frogg Toggs are very breathable, inexpensive, and should hold up pretty well for a Camino.

Personal preference is a poncho. If rain is threatening I keep it in a reachable side pocket on my pack. If it starts doing more than a light sprinkle, I can reach into the pocket and grab the poncho, slip it on while still walking (or pausing), and it covers my pack as well.

I like the ample ventilation. I like that it can serve as a tarp or a sit pad. I can even wear it with a cord around my waist, for modesty purposes, if needed, to dry out clothing or do laundry. It also can serve as a makeshift privacy curtain when hung from a bunk. :)

Some have problems with wind... I don't. With a short learning curve, learning how to use a poncho in all conditions is pretty straight forward.

With a rain jacket, Frogg Toggs are very breathable, inexpensive, and should hold up pretty well for a Camino.
I could not agree more!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back