• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Walking into Spain from Portugal

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kathleen PEters

Time of past OR future Camino
Starting Camino Frances in May 2017
I will be walking the central route from Porto to Santiago at the end of April. I wanted to know if anyone has done this recently. I am American and wasn't sure if there were forms or tests that I need when I cross the border into Spain. I have been looking on various websites but pilgrim-specific info has been impossible to find! I really appreciate any info. Thanks, Kathleen

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Submit that form online within 24 hours of arrival, but there is no checkpoint or formality at the border - you simply cross the bridge and you are in Spain.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Indeed, there is no physical border or checkpoints between Portugal and Spain, I will be crossing that border a couple of times around that time too, actually!

There is no harm in filling in this form even when you are not obliged to do so. Whether it is mandatory or not, depends on the current list published by the Xunta of Galicia. They update the list every 14 days. Last update was on February 4, 2022. Portugal was on the list.

See below for the current list of countries and regions. When you travel from one of these areas to Galicia, or have been in one or more of these areas within the last 14 days, you are obliged to fill in the form. Scroll down to En este momento:
https://www.sergas.es/Saude-publica/benvida-viaxeirxs?idioma=es

We
I will be walking the central route from Porto to Santiago at the end of April. I wanted to know if anyone has done this recently. I am American and wasn't sure if there were forms or tests that I need when I cross the border into Spain. I have been looking on various websites but pilgrim-specific info has been impossible to find! I really appreciate any info. Thanks, Kathleen
Walked the Camino Portuguese in September last year. No forms needed for crossing the border.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We
Walked the Camino Portuguese in September last year. No forms needed for crossing the border.
Right. At that time Portugal wasn't on the Galicia's list of locations that needed to submit the form. At the moment it is, but that can change.

Right. At that time Portugal wasn't on the Galicia's list of locations that needed to submit the form. At the moment it is, but that can change.
Thanks for the update Trecile 😊

I have written several accommodation owners and that there are no travel requirements now--just masks in enclosed areas--for those of us walking into Spain from Portugal. It still is so confusing to me. Nothing will be asked for by anyone. ? Still kind of muddy but that is how "boots on the ground" are responding when asked.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have written several accommodation owners and that there are no travel requirements now--just masks in enclosed areas--for those of us walking into Spain from Portugal. It still is so confusing to me. Nothing will be asked for by anyone. ? Still kind of muddy but that is how "boots on the ground" are responding when asked.
Most borders within the Schengen zone are like that. We have free movement of people and goods within the zone. There can sometimes be random checks, though.

The boots on the ground and the accommodation owners may not even know it. The boots on the ground often don't speak Spanish or Galician and the accomodation owners often don't travel.

When I checked the Galician authorities' website https://www.sergas.es/Saude-publica/benvida-viaxeirxs?idioma=es today (8 March 2022) it still says that you have to fill in the form if you've been, for example, in Portugal or the United States during the last 14 days and enter Galicia in any way, shape or form. This official Galician webpage was last updated on 4 March 2022, so it's pretty recent. Nobody will check whether you comply or not. It is my understanding that this is a legal-administrative obligation as such and it also has the advantage that you then will be covered by the special Covid-19 sickness insurance policy that Galicia took out for tourists.

Updated and text deleted on 9 March 2022. Reason: Requirements have changed since 15 February 2022 when this thread was started.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Most borders within the Schengen zone are like that. We have free movement of people and goods within the zone. There can sometimes be random checks, though.
What @Molly Cassidy says. There can be random checks. At major border crossing points. At any border crossing point. On transborder trains. In any area of a few kilometres after the border. They have mobile units for that. To name a few potential reasons: Public health threats, fight against terrorism, fight against illegal immigration and non-authorised stay, public order threats.

The form exists in three language versions, namely Spanish, Galician and English, and it is available online. Here, again, is the link to the English version: https://coronavirus.sergas.gal/viaxeiros/?ling=en

Thank you for the link. I’ve completed and submitted the form. The free health insurance provided by Galicia to cover Covid 19 is a huge plus (hopefully I won’t need it) as it would save having to wrangle with my own travel insurer if I became ill. And best to submit the form now in case I forget to do it when caught up in the excitement of walking the Camino!

I did not explain clearly enough… They are saying there is no longer a requirement to show proof of vaccine and or negative test to access restaurants and or accommodations.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We're planning to be there at about the same time. Bom Caminho!

The boots on the ground and the accommodation owners may not even know it. The boots on the ground often don't speak Spanish or Galician and the accomodation owners often don't travel.

When I checked the Galician authorities' website https://www.sergas.es/Saude-publica/benvida-viaxeirxs?idioma=es today (8 March 2022) it still says that you have to fill in the form if you've been, for example, in Portugal or the United States during the last 14 days and enter Galicia in any way, shape or form. This official Galician webpage was last updated on 4 March 2022, so it's pretty recent. Nobody will check whether you comply or not. It is my understanding that this is a legal-administrative obligation as such and it also has the advantage that you then will be covered by the special Covid-19 sickness insurance policy that Galicia took out for tourists.
From the TravelSafe.Spain.Info website today:
Spain welcomes all travellers coming from Portugal. Some information is provided below in order to make your journey comfortable, easy and safe.

By land and by sea.

You do not need any health care certificate to entry Spain. That is, you can travel without having a vaccination, diagnostic or recovery certificate. You do not need to complete any form to enter Spain.

You do not need any health care certificate to entry Spain. That is, you can travel without having a vaccination, diagnostic or recovery certificate. You do not need to complete any form to enter Spain.
The "health care" certificate required by the Spanish national government to enter Spain is not the same as the Personal Locator Form required by the Galician regional government to enter Galicia.

It is really easy to keep them apart when you look at their (the forms') websites. 😀

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The "health care" certificate required by the Spanish national government to enter Spain is not the same as the Personal Locator Form required by the Galician regional government to enter Galicia.

It is really easy to keep them apart when you look at their (the forms') websites. 😀
Great. Thank you.

Hold it! Stop! Does nobody actually check what it says under the link quoted earlier? ☺️

Previously it said that people have to fill in the form who had been, during the last two weeks, in the following countries:
  • En los siguientes países y territorios de Europa: Kósovo, Dinamarca, Andorra, Austria, Bélgica, Croacia, Chipre, Estonia, Islas Feroe, Francia, Gibraltar, Islandia, Irlanda, Italia, Jersey, Luxemburgo, Liechtenstein, Mónaco, Montenegro, Holanda, Noruega, Portugal, San Marino, Serbia, Eslovenia, Suecia y Suiza.
Currently it says:
  • En todos los siguientes países y territorios de Europa excepto: Alemania, Andorra, Austria, Bélgica,Bielorrusia, Bulgaria, Croacia, Chipre, Chequia, Dinamarca, Estonia, Islas Feroe, Finlandia, Francia, Grecia, Irlanda, Islandia, Italia, Letonia, Liechtenstein, Lituania, Luxemburgo, Mónaco, Noruega, Países Bajos, Portugal, Rumanía, Rusia y Georgia.
Can you spot the difference?

Apologies!

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back