• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking last 100KM. English or Portuguese route?

Worldwithamy

Time of past OR future Camino
June/July 2023
Hello, I’m planning a last minute trip and would like to do about 100KM as a beginning hiker. I’m interested in the English route from Ferrol, but am now considering Portugal either Coastal or regular route because the flights into Porto are cheaper.

Any things I should consider?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello, I’m planning a last minute trip and would like to do about 100KM as a beginning hiker. I’m interested in the English route from Ferrol, but am now considering Portugal either Coastal or regular route because the flights into Porto are cheaper.

Walk the English Way! A a wonderful walk with the possibility of pressing on to Finnestere and Muxia after Santiago...Portugal is also beautiful and Tui to Santiago has about 7 moderate stages...difficult to chose but I see the English Way as a "complete" Camino (if there is such a thing)

I'd go for the Ingles too. Partly because there is some satisfaction in walking a route from end to end. Partly because numbers on the Portugues are likely to be much larger and I enjoy solitude. If you would welcome more companions along the way then the Portugues might be more to your taste.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have done all three. If I only had time for the last 100K, I would choose the Portuguese.

I have walked the CP Central Route (from Tomar) in 2022, the Variante Espiritual (from Valenca) in earlier this year, and the CI almost a decade ago. They were all wonderful walks, and I didn't find any logistical difficulties with any of them. If I were going to do any again, I would probably choose to walk the CP from Vigo just because I haven't walked from there.

It is also relatively easy to get to both Valenca and Vigo by bus and Vigo by train, although the train does require getting to Campanha, the main Porto bus/train/metro interchange station. This is easy enough on the Porto metro from the airport, but might not be the sort of thing you want to face coming off a longer flight if you are not a regular traveller.

I know it might still be early days in your planning, but if you plan to return from Santiago to Porto airport by bus, consider getting your tickets a couple of days before you want to leave Santiago. I found that booking the night before, all the cheap seats that had been available on ALSA the previous night had gone, and the price increased substantially. The bus filled up at Santiago, with only a couple of people getting off along the way before Porto Airport.

I’ve walked the Portuguese central and the Ingles; of the two I would repeat the Ingles without hesitation

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You could walk from Vigo through the Variante Espiritual, over 100k, and qualifies, is beautiful and has a short, enjoyable boat ride
I’ve been reading more about it. Is there anything apart from the boat ride that makes it a better route?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have walked the CP Central Route (from Tomar) in 2022, the Variante Espiritual (from Valenca) in earlier this year, and the CI almost a decade ago. They were all wonderful walks, and I didn't find any logistical difficulties with any of them. If I were going to do any again, I would probably choose to walk the CP from Vigo just because I haven't walked from there.

It is also relatively easy to get to both Valenca and Vigo by bus and Vigo by train, although the train does require getting to Campanha, the main Porto bus/train/metro interchange station. This is easy enough on the Porto metro from the airport, but might not be the sort of thing you want to face coming off a longer flight if you are not a regular traveller.

I know it might still be early days in your planning, but if you plan to return from Santiago to Porto airport by bus, consider getting your tickets a couple of days before you want to leave Santiago. I found that booking the night before, all the cheap seats that had been available on ALSA the previous night had gone, and the price increased substantially. The bus filled up at Santiago, with only a couple of people getting off along the way before Porto Airport.
Appreciate the notes and reminder to book early! I plan on having a 2 week vacation, and using half of it for the walk. So thankfully will have a bit of leisure time before and after. I might explore north of Spain before heading back to Porto.

Did you book your accommodations in advance?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Did you book your accommodations in advance?
The serious answer first: I did a mix of booking ahead and booking when I know how far I was going to walk on a particular day. I recently walked the Sanabres, and only booked two out of seven nights and in SDC. The others were Xunta or parochial albergues, and these were never more than half full on that route. The CP is, I suspect, a little more popular, but I noticed a similar thing last year when I did use Xunta and municipal albergues on that route.
People who walk it say the Stone and Water route is the most beautiful section of all Caminos.
What marvellous company you keep, @auburnfive. I don't think that I know anyone who has walked enough of all the caminos who would be qualified to venture such an opinion 😇

Last edited:
You could walk from Vigo through the Variante Espiritual, over 100k, and qualifies, is beautiful and has a short, enjoyable boat ride
I Greatly Appreciate your informed suggestion, and would Love yo do this route. Currently I am in Vigo. Wonder if there is a detailed map with Specific route details that U might be willing to generously send me? I will admit that as traveling solo and horrid with technology, and even more, using my cell instead of a computer, I have had a Very hard go of it at times. All help Deeply Appreciated. I’m not even sure how to receive messages on this forum, am not sure if I should post my private email. So later I will once again search “Vigo” on this platform. APPRECIATION!!, Dr Cindi

I Greatly Appreciate your informed suggestion, and would Love yo do this route. Currently I am in Vigo. Wonder if there is a detailed map with Specific route details that U might be willing to generously send me? I will admit that as traveling solo and horrid with technology, and even more, using my cell instead of a computer, I have had a Very hard go of it at times. All help Deeply Appreciated. I’m not even sure how to receive messages on this forum, am not sure if I should post my private email. So later I will once again search “Vigo” on this platform. APPRECIATION!!, Dr

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you have trouble with technology, try an old fashioned paper guidebook, John Brierleys is the simplest and has good maps. Try bookstores in Vigo or the tourism office which may give you a paper map. You just need the route from Vigo to Redondela to start.
Post back here if you still need help, I can send you a private message and a map photo as a back up plan

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Save portoguese and start from Ferrol…,direct train from Madrid

Then you can embark something longer later on….from Lisbon through Fatima for example….Fatima has 2-2,5 million pilgrims a year…just saying 😉

I’ve been reading more about it. Is there anything apart from the boat ride that makes it a better route?
The Spiritual variant of Portuguese was beautiful. I'm on my way to Finesterre and not finding it as beautiful as spiritual variant. Stay at Montesary de Armenteiria. The next day is the most beautiful walk I've encountered my entire life. I booked the boat ahead of time, but not sure it was required. buen Camino

I recently completed spiritual variant of Camino Portuguese starting at n Vigo. I can recommend it. I used the Wise Pilgrim app to validate directions. I enjoyed staying in Montestary in Armenteira and the boat from Villanova de arousa. Stopped at Don Pepe in Padron. Now on my way to Finesterre and not finding it as beautiful. Not to many English speakers, however, along the route if that is a consideration.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I recently completed spiritual variant of Camino Portuguese starting at n Vigo. I can recommend it. I used the Wise Pilgrim app to validate directions. I enjoyed staying in Montestary in Armenteira and the boat from Villanova de arousa. Stopped at Don Pepe in Padron. Now on my way to Finesterre and not finding it as beautiful. Not to many English speakers, however, along the route if that is a consideration.
Wow hope you’re enjoying it! Have you made it yet?

May I ask how you got the latest info for the boat and how it works?

Wow hope you’re enjoying it! Have you made it yet?

May I ask how you got the latest info for the boat and how it works?
Buenos dias,
I'm leaving Muxia this morning, back to Santiago de Compostela to go home. A great trip.
I used Amare for the boat. I found the responsive and professional. They give a tour as you make your way up the river. I contacted them through email at Amare Turismo Náutico <info@amareturismonautico.com>. Web site https://www.amareturismonautico.com/ I recommend them. I have heard difficulties with the other company. BTW, we split the remaining walk to SdC by staying in Areal. I ll get the link to you as it was a charming home. Buen Camino

Buenos dias,
I'm leaving Muxia this morning, back to Santiago de Compostela to go home. A great trip.
I used Amare for the boat. I found the responsive and professional. They give a tour as you make your way up the river. I contacted them through email at Amare Turismo Náutico <info@amareturismonautico.com>. Web site https://www.amareturismonautico.com/ I recommend them. I have heard difficulties with the other company. BTW, we split the remaining walk to SdC by staying in Areal. I ll get the link to you as it was a charming home. Buen Camino
A Picarana stay to split walk Padron to SdC : https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/513287..._impression_id=p3_1687493770_ssySFJbQVE0/KU1t

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I agree with @Introibo I did both the Inglès is beautifull but a challenge
I prefer the Portuguese coastal
Why did you prefer the Portuguese route? I am trying to decide between Ingles or Portuguese from Tui…. I will walk with daypack only and have rest transferred each day due to physical limitation (back issues), and will stay in hotels, not hostels. Have no problem walking large elevation gains or distances though.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back