• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Le Puy beginning of May - anyone else starting then?

Drubah

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2013 and 2014 (plan to walk from Le Puy in 2016)
Hi,

I've walked the Camino Frances twice - once in September 2013 and again in May 2014. Now I'm going to walk from Le Puy to SJPDP - any other English speaking people going to around then? I speak some Italian but to my shame no French - but will be enrolling in Italian for Travellers soon. Any tips welcome

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I'm starting out from Le Puy on April 29th. If you can start out a few days earlier, I'd be more than happy to translate for you. I never met any Italians along the Chemin last time, but many, many Australians, so you'll definitely find some English speaking company. The challenge will be communicating with shop owners, gite owners and the communal dinner conversations which are primarily in French. The critical word to know is Bonjour/bonsoir (you should to say it before starting any conversation). After that, pointing seems to work :) . As the Chemin gets more popular every year among English speakers, I think the French are getting used to the common questions posed. Feel free to PM me if you have further questions.

Hi,

I've walked the Camino Frances twice - once in September 2013 and again in May 2014. Now I'm going to walk from Le Puy to SJPDP - any other English speaking people going to around then? I speak some Italian but to my shame no French - but will be enrolling in Italian for Travellers soon. Any tips welcome
I am walking from Le Puy to Santiago starting May 9th 2016, however; I do not speak or read French. You may see me being very humble asking for directions. From Will

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You both have enough time to work on your basic French phrases. Being a non-speaker of French in rural France makes for a more intensely humble pilgrim experience, as I can say from personal experience. My first Le Puy walk, I spoke absolutely no French. By the second walk, I had managed to learn a few phrases, and it went so much better. There are only two or three phrases you need to successfully navigate shopping transactions, restaurant transactions, and checking into gites in the evening. Get busy now! You will be surprised how much written French is easily navigated - as 1/3 of the English vocabulary came over from the French (basically, all the $5 words that don't involve technology). And most of the culinary terms in English came over from French. Get a pocket phrasebook, and look for Canadians or Normands on the route.

speak some Italian but to my shame no French

Hi, I start ex Le Puy about a month ahead of you. And after five years schoolboy French I have no conversational language and can read only basic signage.

@KiwiNomad06 would have the host for tonight's accommodation ring ahead while she pointed to the preferred gite (or whatever).

@SYates in a more recent post offered her experience of doing translations for fellow walkers and being paid in "pastis".

Most read last week in this forum

For those who will walk something different , https://www.jejuolle.org/trail_en#/...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back