• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking March 3-25, 2017 VdP from Seville to Salamanca.

Rosa TT

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances, Norte, Via de la Plata, Via Francigena
I am an experienced very slow pilgrim walking Vdp Starting March 3, 2017 from Seville to Salamanca. Perhaps I'll be faster here due to flat terrain. Would love to hear about others planning that timeframe so we can stay connected during walk about conditions. I've studied the guidebooks, blogs, weather and feel fairly confident that I will find accommodations at every stage...even mid stages. I'm a slow walker and plan to arrive in Salamanca about March 25, for a 27th departure.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I might be on the route very close to those dates. I need to wait awhile yet before I can book flights. It's good that you have started this thread as we can stay in touch here! Three weeks for Seville to Salamanca does not sound "very slow" to me.
Thanks C clearly for your suggestion, yes indeed a great idea to stay connected, early march starters.... Because I have my flight arriving in Sevilla the morning of March 6, I will start walking the 7 or the 8

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the VDP in early April last year from Seville to Santiago and had no problems with accommodation at any stage.

I hope to be leaving Sevilla around the end of Feb, so I will a few days ahead of you.

Good to know there will be a trail blazer ahead of me. I'll be most interested in knowing about the water levels at the various river crossings. Ben Camino.

I'm contemplating a March march :) from Seville to Salamanca, just not sure of the dates yet. I need to do more research on temperature as I'm near old and becoming less a fan of the cold (hence getting out of Canada). So, a good thread to watch, thanks for starting it up.
I did some pieces between Merida and Salamanca last March. It got quite chilly at night but the daytime walking temperatures were excellent.

Wow!! Interesting many of us Canadians...I am from Golden BC, today's temperatures in Golden -12 a beautiful glorious sunny day, alpen glow in the mountain peaks... March in Andalusia and extremadura can be chilli at night, but beautiful walking in the day time !!!!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Will keep track of this thread. Doing the Norte in 2017 and Seville in 2018. Looking forward to hear about your trip

I started this year 31march in Sevilla.Temperature in Sevilla was about 28C.It was great but also very heavy because later on the little streams getting so big that it was difficult to pass them without getting wet.But I must addmit it was great to do it!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I started this year 31march in Sevilla.Temperature in Sevilla was about 28C.It was great but also very heavy because later on the little streams getting so big that it was difficult to pass them without getting wet.But I must addmit it was great to do it!
Thanks for that input. I'm aware of the overflowing streams and puddles. I've heard that there are many detours due to flooding.
Did you just cross with your boots or change to sandals?
That's pretty warm and ideal temperature for walking.

Also want to know if people change their footwear. Is it better to wear boots or shoes on the VdlP?

Thanks for that input. I'm aware of the overflowing streams and puddles. I've heard that there are many detours due to flooding.
Did you just cross with your boots or change to sandals?
That's pretty warm and ideal temperature for walking.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
At first I did my walk with my shoes on.Later I took my shoes in the hand and I walked without shoes in the water.It was a great experience,but I had to stop in Salamanca during a tendinitis

Walked from Sevilla to Fuente de Cantos in April of 2014. I did find that it was getting hot, esp in the afternoons. If I were to do again, I'd think about March.

Hi

Am hoping to walk 22 March (staying 2 nights in Seville) 2017 too!! Glad there will be some pilgrims on the journey too!!

Have u booked your first night hostels yet? Hv booked the Sevilla Dream Hostel for 10€ per night.... in a dormitory of 6 ! :eek:

Buen Camino

*edited for cost of room - wrong cost given!

Last edited:
I have preliminary stages mapped out. Start walking from Seville April 9, arrive in Santiago May 23. Subject to change. That's a 45 day schedule including 3 planned rest days. I'm planning to get Walking Guide by Gerald Kelly 2014. Comments on anything better. (All the comments/blogs on this forum are a GREAT resource. I looking at all of those also.)

Hi everyone. I'm going to start on February 17th from Seville. Will walk all the way to Santiago. :)
Happy hiking to all of you!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Also tracking this blog. VDLP in my plans for late April 2018. This trail is growing number popularity!

Started Mozarabe from Malaga in early September this year, and forced to quit after three days of 40C+ Temps! Nearly did me in from heat and missing other pilgrims. Was told to expect no other hikers for over two weeks, and now am a believer in the joy of company. This made my CFL in 2014 magical.

I'm looking forward to your March 2017 VDLP blogs, Rosa TT.

Buen Camino

Hola a todos,
I am contemplating walking Seville to Salamanca starting on March 3, 2017. I walked from Salamanca to A Gudina in April of 2016 - snow/ice crossing the mountains to Lubian and then heavy rain caused me to not make it all the way to Santiago. All the locals said that the weather last April was unusual. I look forward to seeing you all on the Camino. Buen Camino!

Looking forward to possibly seeing other early starters. Starting in either Cadiz or Seville Feb. 21.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
My Camino Frances walking buddy wants to get the heck out of the snow in Canada too, so we will meet in Seville and walk to Santiago. We plan on Starting on March the 22nd. We just decided it last night, so it is a bit of a "wild hair" At least I don't have to buy much. I just did the CF this last May-June and all I need is a new pair of boots.

Last edited:
I should be good for whatever weather the VdlP brings--today's snowshoe hike was -30C! Northern Canada is beautiful, but like Joodle, it will be good to get out of dodge for a while. Looking forward to meeting all the perigrinos en route!

I am an experienced very slow pilgrim walking Vdp Starting March 3, 2017 from Seville to Salamanca. Perhaps I'll be faster here due to flat terrain. Would love to hear about others planning that timeframe so we can stay connected during walk about conditions. I've studied the guidebooks, blogs, weather and feel fairly confident that I will find accommodations at every stage...even mid stages. I'm a slow walker and plan to arrive in Salamanca about March 25, for a 27th departure.
Hi Rosa
I'm starting from Cadiz 17/02/2017 and hope to be in Santiago before the end of March. It will be my 4th Camino and like to move quickly over Meseta-type terrain - More time for visiting monuments etc. Hope to see you en route. Buen Camino.
Patrick - raising money for Water Aid

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Rosa
I'm starting from Cadiz 17/02/2017 and hope to be in Santiago before the end of March. It will be my 4th Camino and like to move quickly over Meseta-type terrain - More time for visiting monuments etc. Hope to see you en route. Buen Camino.
Patrick - raising money for Water Aid
Ben Camino...how may I best follow your Camino and the conditions you'll be experiencing? What is Water Aid?

Hola a todos,
I am contemplating walking Seville to Salamanca starting on March 3, 2017. I walked from Salamanca to A Gudina in April of 2016 - snow/ice crossing the mountains to Lubian and then heavy rain caused me to not make it all the way to Santiago. All the locals said that the weather last April was unusual. I look forward to seeing you all on the Camino. Buen Camino!
Yes, indeed, I am also looking forward to starting the Camino in Sevilla on March 6 or 7

My Camino Frances walking buddy wants to get the heck out of the snow in Canada too, so we will meet in Seville and walk to Santiago. We plan on Starting on March the 22nd. We just decided it last night, so it is a bit of a "wild hair" At least I don't have to buy much. I just did the CF this last May-June and all I need is a new pair of boots.
Hi. I fly into Madrid on the 23rd and Seville on the 24th. I'll be right behind you perhaps.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hola a todos,
I'm also starting on March 3rd...I'll be at Triana albergue on the 1st, but they are booked on the 2nd, so I reserved at Hostal Jardín de la Alameda. It would be great to start out together on the 3rd in Seville, or catch up at Guillena.

Hello Canadian peregrinos/as,
i am not sure how to respond to a message that I recieved from "Freewalker" in regards to late february/early march skiing in Golden..... Sorry if this is not the right avenue to answer her but....not sure how to do it. I just thought that I let you know that I will love to connect with you about your questions for your time in Golden.
I am in Europe at the moment and back in Golden on January 25. You can phone me on my fix 250 344 8444 or my cell 250 439 8444 i look forward to hearing from you
Hello NaimaA - no worries. Thanks for your contact info as much appreciated. Will give you a dingle after Jan 25 th - hope you are having a lovely time !! Many thanks once again.

Who is going skiing when? I'm going to Calgary on Friday and will ski Sunshine, Nakiska and Norquay next week and kickinghorse and Kimberley the week after. I don't go to Spain for another 8 weeks, I'll just enjoy Skiing in Canada. Haha

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Rosa TT I know this route well and indeed walked it last year again, the only problem day might be from Casar de Caseres to Canaveral but accom problems mid way might have been sorted out by now.
I will give you a link to a you tube video I made of last year from Seville to Astorga.
also I have a couple of sections in my blog specifically about the Via de la Plata once you get to the blog (photographic) you will see the sections on the left. http://dermotdolan.blogspot.ie/Regards and enjoy Dermot (Nalod)

I am leaving on March 3rd from Seville as well.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I had not paid attention to this thread when it started because I had no plans of walking VDLP but I have been toying with the idea and would also start walking from Sevilla on the first week of March. Looks I will not be alone which was my concern as I do like a bit of company here and there.

I ploted my etapas for short legged people a few weeks ago. For once I can take more than 3 weeks so thinking of VDLP followed by the Inverno.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have preliminary stages mapped out. Start walking from Seville April 9, arrive in Santiago May 23. Subject to change. That's a 45 day schedule including 3 planned rest days. I'm planning to get Walking Guide by Gerald Kelly 2014. Comments on anything better. (All the comments/blogs on this forum are a GREAT resource. I looking at all of those also.)
Via de la Plata PREMIUM is a good mobile app that also offers downloadable Kmz tracks that can be used offline. The EROSKI consumer Camino website is also very good.

I ordered 2 minutes ago Kelly Dember 2016 guidebook, as well as downloaded it for free.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Via de la Plata PREMIUM is a good mobile app that also offers downloadable Kmz tracks that can be used offline. The EROSKI consumer Camino website is also very good.
Thanks for the tip about the App: I just downloaded it.

I am leaving on March 3rd from Seville as well.
Hi Rosa TT and Rob4567, I will also be starting from Seville on the 3rd March. Doing some sightseeing first on the 2nd then Seville to SdC starting 3rd. Thinking of going via Camas out of Seville so may well see you on route to Guillena.

I had not paid attention to this thread when it started because I had no plans of walking VDLP but I have been toying with the idea and would also start walking from Sevilla on the first week of March. Looks I will not be alone which was my concern as I do like a bit of company here and there.

I ploted my etapas for short legged people a few weeks ago. For once I can take more than 3 weeks so thinking of VDLP followed by the Inverno.

There will be two of us starting on the 25th or so... of March. I believe all Caminos are accommodating but some areas are less accommodating. No matter what path one would take this time of year, everything should be good. The Spaniards are well aware of the Caminos. My thoughts.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Decided to walk that instead of Portuguese. Will be walking about that time also. Birthday is March 24 so hope to find people to share it with.

Leaving Sevilla Apr 5 and will walk to Salamanca. Does anyone have experience with the effect Semana Santa will have on alberques and pensions, hotels along this route? Large cities and small villages?

Well, I've done it! Booked my flights! I expect to start walking in Seville on March 18, 19 or 20. I have 31 days free to walk (or rest), so I'm aiming for Zamora. I should be in Salamanca and/or Zamora for Semana Santa, so I'm looking at accommodation.

I was undecided about how long to go for, and whether it was important to arrive in Santiago. However, I finally decided that a month of walking and being away would likely satisfy me. I can pick up in Salamanca or Zamora in a future year.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Hi Anemone, we will start at Seville around March 29, and meet couple friends around April 19 or 20th at Ponferrada to also walk the Invierno. We might cross path!

hi will start in malaga on the 15 march. not to sure will walk the full v d p. or switch part way in no rush anymore haveing lost my wife recently

Two of us will arrive in Seville on March 24 a 25 and start within a day. Does anyone know if there is a designated office to pick up a passport?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There will be two of us starting on the 25th or so... of March. I believe all Caminos are accommodating but some areas are less accommodating. No matter what path one would take this time of year, everything should be good. The Spaniards are well aware of the Caminos. My thoughts.
May see you on the path. Two of us starting around the same time

Booked Hotel Simon for first nigh. I have 38 days to get to Santiago. No rest days just lots of 25km days
I tried to book Hotel Simon but the rate for the night I wanted was triple compared to some other days. I expect that rates go up on Saturday night and perhaps the cheaper rooms were just taken.

hi will start in malaga on the 15 march. not to sure will walk the full v d p. or switch part way in no rush anymore haveing lost my wife recently

Hello John, I am so sorry. My sincere condolences. I haven’t seen you on the forum for a long time. Now I know why. You were there when my husband and I needed you 5 years ago; I will never forget. Now, as you say, there is no rush; sweet memories as you walk. Go well.
Jill

Hello John, I am so sorry. My sincere condolences. I haven’t seen you on the forum for a long time. Now I know why. You were there when my husband and I needed you 5 years ago; I will never forget. Now, as you say, there is no rush; sweet memories as you walk. Go well.
Jill

hi . thank you god bless.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
So sorry to hear that you lost your wife recently,johns. I'm sure she will be with you in spirit ..

first time i was in perth was 1981 thanks

My guide book by Kelly says they are available from:
  • Amigos del Camino de Santiago en Sevilla, Calle Castilla 82
  • Cathedral Parochial Office
  • Hotel Simon
  • Triana Backpackers

Thank you C Clearly, I will look at these locations. Leaving Canada in 29 days. Start walking in 32 days. Yeah!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Anemone, we will start at Seville around March 29, and meet couple friends around April 19 or 20th at Ponferrada to also walk the Invierno. We might cross path!
Simon! We may in fact cross paths. I booked my flight to arrive in Sevilla on the 30th of March and plan to walk to Salamanca and then hop on a bus to Ponferrada to walk the Invierno starting on the 23rd of April, and after getting to Santiago heading for the Salvador.

Hello Camino friends, I am walking VDLP and today I am in Zafra. Great albergue from (asociacion amigos del peregrino) if any of you starting the camino soon needs any information, I will try to help.
I started in Sevilla on 7 March In the beggining was so hot that made walking past 1 pm very difficult.....
Happy planning!

There's a December 2016 edition of this guide book.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi all
I am in Sevilla night of Good Friday and get the bus to Villafranca de los Barros to pick up where I left off, on Saturday 15 April. People starting walking in Sevilla on around 7/8/9 April will likely be in Villafranca around 15th. PM me if you want to meet on either date. There will be processions in Sevilla that night, so would be nice to watch them in company.

Hello Everyone
I just booked flight and will be in Seville on April 12 and will probably start walking on Saturday April 15. Can't believe I'm going as only a few weeks away...can't wait.

Will anyone be starting their walk on April 15th ? Would be so lovely to perhaps start walking with a fellow pilgrim although not completely necessary.

Happy planning everyone :)

Last edited:
Hello Everyone
I just booked flight and will be in Seville on April 12 and will probably start walking on Saturday April 15. Can't believe I'm going as only a few weeks away...can't wait.

Will anyone be starting their walk on April 12th ? Would be so lovely to perhaps start walking with a fellow pilgrim although not completely necessary.

Happy planning everyone :)
Hi... I arrive on 11 April and plan at the moment to stay 2 nights and start walking on 13 April.
Just researching where to stay in Seville. Hopefully we will cross paths.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi... I arrive on 11 April and plan at the moment to stay 2 nights and start walking on 13 April.
Just researching where to stay in Seville. Hopefully we will cross paths.
Hi lordhowe lol... we'll probably cross paths as I'm leaving Sevilla on the 15th. Unless of course you are covering many km in a shortish period of time :) Happy walking !

Last edited:
We will start from Sevilla on April 15.

Many places booked out for Easter but you could try Hotel Patio de las Cruces 45Euros .I have 1 night there on 16th April before moving to Hotel Simon for 2 nights which is now booked out.

That's great ! Where are you staying in Seville may I ask or you can PM me .... I have so much to do as just booked my flight a few days ago !!

We are staying at Hotel Zaida.

Heading to the Triana hostel at this ver moment. Wow, the hills out of Malaga on the way to Sevilla are something else: nonstop rolling, like mini Pyrenees.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Heading to the Triana hostel at this ver moment. Wow, the hills out of Malaga on the way to Sevilla are something else: nonstop rolling, like mini Pyrenees.
Hi - did you by any chance fly with Air Transat to Malaga ? Enjoy ... I fly in with AT to Faro and then bus ride...to Sevila

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back