A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

2019 Camino Guides

Walking mid-April - May 2019

Camino(s) past & future
Hello,

I plan on walking the Camino Frances mid-April-May 2019. I have to decide between wearing Columbia Outdry Trail Runners or Merrell Moab Hiking Shoes. My preference is to wear trail runners but I’m wondering would they be too light for the weather conditions at that time of year? Any advice welcomed.

Thanks,

Barbara

Glenshiro

Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy - Burgos, Camino Frances (2012 - 2018)
I don't think the difference is so great as to make one preferable to the other. Mid-April to May should be fairly dry for most of the CF, but there are no guarantees.

The stretch from SJPdP to Roncesvalles can be rainy or dry at almost any time of year, and much of the CF is at an elevation over 2500 feet, so mornings can be damp and misty with mud underfoot, but I'd say, go with what you feel comfortable with. Footwear is possibly the most personal of all choices on the Camino!

Buen Camino.

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances...
Sept. 2017: SJPdP to Burgos
Sept./Oct. 2018: SJPdP to Santiago de Compostela
Hello,

I plan on walking the Camino Frances mid-April-May 2019. I have to decide between wearing Columbia Outdry Trail Runners or Merrell Moab Hiking Shoes. My preference is to wear trail runners but I’m wondering would they be too light for the weather conditions at that time of year? Any advice welcomed.

Thanks,

Barbara
I plan footwear options at the time of departure for the trip, whether backpacking or walking Camino. Be prepared with footwear that is comfortable for you and appropriate for the conditions you will find when next spring arrives. It's just not predictable in advance. :)

Rick M

Camino(s) past & future
April ('16,'18)
I walked the CF twice at this time. The first time, we had a week of sun at the beginning, then it rained most days for the rest of the walk. The second time, it rained the first three days, and we had glorious sunshine for the balance. I carry TWO pairs of shoes, Gortex trail shoes and running shoes. I don't recommend this for most pilgrims due to the excess weight, but for me its ideal since my feet appreciate a shoe change from time to time.

On balance, if the weather is good, you are best off wearing your favorite running shoes, or lighter trail shoes. If its raining a lot, not so much, because heavy mud can become an issue in spots. The trail itself does not demand a heavy shoe or hiking boot, but your feet may. Check the long range weather a few days before you go, and make the call then. Wear the one you find the most comfortable for the expected conditions. Bear in mind you could take your heavier gortex shoe for the first few weeks, and pick up some runners in Leon if the weather improves.

Buen Camino

Camino(s) past & future
April 20, 2016 to May 20, '16 SJPdP to Santiago d C.
2016 April 20-May 20 it rained some the first week, was dry and sunny on the Messeta, rained some the next and foggy the week to Santiago. I wore trail runners and would again. It's a mixed bag. When it was muddy you'll wish you had waterproof hiking boots, when dry and walking sidewalks and pavement wish you had trail runners. Carrying both was too heavy for me and didn't have room either. There's no right answer.

OLDER threads on this topic

A few items available from the Camino Forum Store

Pilgrims here right now

Advertisement
Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 8 1.1%
  • February

Votes: 4 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 33 4.5%
  • April

Votes: 108 14.7%
  • May

Votes: 179 24.4%