• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking mid-April - May 2019

Barbara Whelan

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2021
Camino Portuguese 2022
Hello,

I plan on walking the Camino Frances mid-April-May 2019. I have to decide between wearing Columbia Outdry Trail Runners or Merrell Moab Hiking Shoes. My preference is to wear trail runners but I’m wondering would they be too light for the weather conditions at that time of year? Any advice welcomed.

Thanks,

Barbara

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't think the difference is so great as to make one preferable to the other. Mid-April to May should be fairly dry for most of the CF, but there are no guarantees.

The stretch from SJPdP to Roncesvalles can be rainy or dry at almost any time of year, and much of the CF is at an elevation over 2500 feet, so mornings can be damp and misty with mud underfoot, but I'd say, go with what you feel comfortable with. Footwear is possibly the most personal of all choices on the Camino!

Buen Camino.

Hello,

I plan on walking the Camino Frances mid-April-May 2019. I have to decide between wearing Columbia Outdry Trail Runners or Merrell Moab Hiking Shoes. My preference is to wear trail runners but I’m wondering would they be too light for the weather conditions at that time of year? Any advice welcomed.

Thanks,

Barbara

I plan footwear options at the time of departure for the trip, whether backpacking or walking Camino. Be prepared with footwear that is comfortable for you and appropriate for the conditions you will find when next spring arrives. It's just not predictable in advance. :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked the CF twice at this time. The first time, we had a week of sun at the beginning, then it rained most days for the rest of the walk. The second time, it rained the first three days, and we had glorious sunshine for the balance. I carry TWO pairs of shoes, Gortex trail shoes and running shoes. I don't recommend this for most pilgrims due to the excess weight, but for me its ideal since my feet appreciate a shoe change from time to time.

On balance, if the weather is good, you are best off wearing your favorite running shoes, or lighter trail shoes. If its raining a lot, not so much, because heavy mud can become an issue in spots. The trail itself does not demand a heavy shoe or hiking boot, but your feet may. Check the long range weather a few days before you go, and make the call then. Wear the one you find the most comfortable for the expected conditions. Bear in mind you could take your heavier gortex shoe for the first few weeks, and pick up some runners in Leon if the weather improves.

Buen Camino

2016 April 20-May 20 it rained some the first week, was dry and sunny on the Messeta, rained some the next and foggy the week to Santiago. I wore trail runners and would again. It's a mixed bag. When it was muddy you'll wish you had waterproof hiking boots, when dry and walking sidewalks and pavement wish you had trail runners. Carrying both was too heavy for me and didn't have room either. There's no right answer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.