• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Norte to Primitivo

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Started in Irun on 24-September. In Gernika now and all is good. Little to no problems related to covid. Bring a mask and you'll be fine.

Headed to Bilbao tomorrow.
I also walked Gernika to Bilbao. I don’t understand why gronze breaks 30ish km into two stages unless it was to give you extra time to explore Bilbao, but I took a break day in Bilbao to do that (to see churches and museum, and mail some things ahead at the post office).

Buen Camino!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
How are you finding the route - are you spending a lot of time walking on tarmac?

How are you finding the route - are you spending a lot of time walking on tarmac?
There are many alternate routes and I'm not finding much tarmac. It's been a great mix of trails so far. I'm in Bilbao now and loving this rest day.

There are many alternate routes and I'm not finding much tarmac. It's been a great mix of trails so far. I'm in Bilbao now and loving this rest day.
Good, sounds great! I was just wondering as I fancy the Norte someday, but some people have said there is quite a lot of road walking including some busy-ish roads at times.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I also walked Gernika to Bilbao. I don’t understand why gronze breaks 30ish km into two stages unless it was to give you extra time to explore Bilbao, but I took a break day in Bilbao to do that (to see churches and museum, and mail some things ahead at the post office).

Buen Camino!
Bilbao was an interesting city. I do recall not enjoying all the steps going down into the city. My knees and tired legs were pretty shot at that point. I hobbled to my albergue. The next day I went to the gugenhiem, the building itself was a wonder of architecture but the art inside for the most part left me scratching my head. I kept saying.. I don't get it? My wife and daughters are the artists in the family. I must be too simple minded to enjoy such sophisticated art. The camino has something for everyone😉 buen camino

Bilbao was an interesting city. I do recall not enjoying all the steps going down into the city. My knees and tired legs were pretty shot at that point. I hobbled to my albergue. The next day I went to the gugenhiem, the building itself was a wonder of architecture but the art inside for the most part left me scratching my head. I kept saying.. I don't get it? My wife and daughters are the artists in the family. I must be too simple minded to enjoy such sophisticated art. The camino has something for everyone😉 buen camino
I only went outside the gugenhiem. I'm also simple minded. but i was fascinated by the giant spider. something for everyone!

My advice for Bilbao galleries is to spend time walking around the Guggenheim, which is one of the finest buildings of the century, but don't bother to go inside. Go to the Bellas Artes (www.museobilbao.com/) about 500m SSW which has an astonishing collection of Spanish pre-modern art, and gives you a riveting picture of the developments in Spanish and Basque society. No pilgrim discount, sadly.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My advice for Bilbao galleries is to spend time walking around the Guggenheim, which is one of the finest buildings of the century, but don't bother to go inside. Go to the Bellas Artes (www.museobilbao.com/) about 500m SSW which has an astonishing collection of Spanish pre-modern art, and gives you a riveting picture of the developments in Spanish and Basque society. No pilgrim discount, sadly.
That sounds like great advice. I will check that out on my next visit. Thanks

Hi, I recall more tarmac after Bilbao though we only walked to Santander so can’t comment after that. Buen Camino

This one I did go in and second your advice!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back