• We are struggeling with some issues with images and attachments not loading on the forum. This is some left-over problems from the other day. We have back-ups of everything, so nothing is lost, we just need to link things up again so that it works. In short, we are working on it. Sorry! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking November with 15 yr old grandchild

samba

Time of past OR future Camino
Francesca(2007),de la Plata /Sanabres ( May 2015),Mozarabe ( 2016) Norte (2018)
La Lana((2019)
I am wanting to walk one of the camino with my grandchild .For various reasons can go nov/dec which i know is not optimum time .I have walked several routes but at other times .Wonder if there is anyone out there who has walked at that time -would like to do about 3/4 weeks and be good if some people on route for social aspect for him ,and also of course albergues open some of them .Mountains out because of weather .Any ideas ?? Thanks in advance

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I am wanting to walk one of the camino with my grandchild .For various reasons can go nov/dec which i know is not optimum time .I have walked several routes but at other times .Wonder if there is anyone out there who has walked at that time -would like to do about 3/4 weeks and be good if some people on route for social aspect for him ,and also of course albergues open some of them .Mountains out because of weather .Any ideas ?? Thanks in advance
I suggest the Camino Frances from Pamplona. If bad weather hits, take buses or sit it out, depending on your mood and time table. Most small albergues will be closed, so do some advance data collection, and know where you may have to stay in hostales.

Use www.booking.com or www.gronze.com (Spanish only) to make reservations a coupe of days in advance as you progress. Always show up for a reservation.

If you cannot make it, or will be late, please use either Google or Microsoft translate to send the property a message in Spanish advising them of your status and progress.

Many albergues will have closed for the season. Some hostals (small B&B type hotels) will also have closed for the season.

In any event, if you arrive in a village sans bed, DO inquire at the local bar / cafe. They will know who has available lodging. Sometimes a private person will take pilgrims into their home for the night on a donativo basis. If this occurs, do be generous.

The further one gets into invierno (winter) the more creative you must be.

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My son and I walked in late March/early April from Leon. He was the only one his age that we saw walking until Sarria-- so he was a bit of an oddity and adults regularly asked me how I got him to go. He wanted to walk-- in fact, he wanted to go back. So the next Spring we walked from SJPP to Burgos. He was always pleased when we'd catch up to a group of young German men who would cheer when he came in the door. And he was always pleased with the food-- pulpo became his favorite dish. He could walk faster and further than I, and he had little interest in museums or churches. So our interests and energy sometimes clashed. -- He did say to me a month or so ago, that on the Camino he learned that no matter how much he complained, he would still have to walk so he might as well not complain, and just keep going.

Here is the list of albergues that are open in the winter - more every year.

Walking with a 15-year-old is great. Mine was so helpful and nice, kept grabbing stuff from my backpack to put into his, and his Spanish improved immensely.

thanks so much for responses .They are very helpful .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
Forgive me if already in a thread somewhere, but any search for the above brings up basically every post ever written! Did anyone get to see the premiere? Dying to know what it's like as the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.