• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking now

Lisakline

Time of past OR future Camino
I am walking in March and April of 2019.
I met Rubén on the cf last winter, and we have stayed in touch. He is walking again, the vdlp this time. He just reached astorga and some journalist caught up with him and wrote this article for an Astorga paper:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I met Rubén on the cf last winter, and we have stayed in touch. He is walking again, the vdlp this time. He just reached astorga and some journalist caught up with him and wrote this article for an Astorga paper:

It is sad to hear that both Marketa and Rubén lost their jobs, due to Covid and that they had to sleep outside on several nights from lack of places to stay on the way to Santiago from Via de la Plata. If I understood the article, it seems the VDLP is being re-routed next year for reasons that are unclear but not the correct route! If anyone can elucidate this matter, it would be good to know?

If I understood the article, it seems the VDLP is being re-routed next year for reasons that are unclear but not the correct route!

I believe that the author of the article, the mayor of Astorga, is criticizing the ascendancy of the Sanabrés over the last segment of the Vdlp. Both the Vdlp and the Sanabrés leave Zamora together, but then there’s a split in Granja de Moreruela —northwest for Sanabrés to Ourense, or north for Vdlp to Astorga, where it joins with the Francés. The Xunta de Galicia is no doubt interested in promoting the Sanabrés because it has a good chunk in Galicia, from shortly after Lubián all the way to Santiago. Looks like all the funding is going into the Sanabrés at the expense of this last segment of the Vdlp.

I have not walked that section of the Vdlp, which goes through Benavente, but I have walked the Sanabrés twice and would repeat it again in a heartbeat. Maybe some forum members who have walked these last few days of the Vdlp (four or five days from Zamora to Astorga) can weigh in on the differences. The huge majority of people walking the Vdlp do opt for the Sanabrés, in part to avoid the Francés and in part just because it is such a nice route.

Hope this helps clear things up — there is no major re-routing that I am aware of, it’s just that the governmental camino money is not going towards that segment of the Vdlp and it looks like the lodging options may disappear.

Thank you for your reply. Fingers crossed I, like others on the forum, can set foot on one of the Camino’s, mine the VDLP.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I believe that the author of the article, the mayor of Astorga, is criticizing the ascendancy of the Sanabrés over the last segment of the Vdlp. Both the Vdlp and the Sanabrés leave Zamora together, but then there’s a split in Granja de Moreruela —northwest for Sanabrés to Ourense, or north for Vdlp to Astorga, where it joins with the Francés. The Xunta de Galicia is no doubt interested in promoting the Sanabrés because it has a good chunk in Galicia, from shortly after Lubián all the way to Santiago. Looks like all the funding is going into the Sanabrés at the expense of this last segment of the Vdlp.

I have not walked that section of the Vdlp, which goes through Benavente, but I have walked the Sanabrés twice and would repeat it again in a heartbeat. Maybe some forum members who have walked these last few days of the Vdlp (four or five days from Zamora to Astorga) can weigh in on the differences. The huge majority of people walking the Vdlp do opt for the Sanabrés, in part to avoid the Francés and in part just because it is such a nice route.

Hope this helps clear things up — there is no major re-routing that I am aware of, it’s just that the governmental camino money is not going towards that segment of the Vdlp and it looks like the lodging options may disappear.

I think I only met one guy who walked to Astorga on VdlP.

In 2012 I had to stay an extra night in Zamora due to very painful feet so I lost my English speaking Camino family. I decided to walk to Astorga .I took a bus from Granja to Benavente, stayed in a Hotel and then limped to La Baneza. I met a nice Irishman on the way to Alija del Infantato ,who I had previously met in Fuenterroble. we split after that.
Next day I remember the joy of seeing, way in the distance on my right, the large green metal structure used by the pilgrims from the Frances. I was so happy to get to Astorga. I went back the next year and walked the Sanabrese and loved it . I also walked from Seville again in 2017 via the Sanabrese and would love to repeat next year if possible. Sorry this is so long winded...

I walked up to Astorga after Granja de Moruela in 2017. Stayed in Benavente,Alija and La Baneza. After La Baneza I walked to Astorga. As I remember there where albergues in all the places I I slept in. The Albergue in Alija was very nice.Met no other pilgrims.
The camino was well marked.img_20170618_092451_optimized.jpgimg_20170616_090005_optimized.jpgimg_20170618_111605_optimized.jpgimg_20170618_085944_optimized.jpgimg_20170616_214619_optimized.jpgimg_20170619_074640_optimized.jpgimg_20170618_161731_optimized (1).jpg

Attachments

• img_20170618_161731_optimized.jpg
    img_20170618_161731_optimized.jpg
    580.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In 2012 I had to stay an extra night in Zamora due to very painful feet so I lost my English speaking Camino family. I decided to walk to Astorga .I took a bus from Granja to Benavente, stayed in a Hotel and then limped to La Baneza. I met a nice Irishman on the way to Alija del Infantato ,who I had previously met in Fuenterroble. we split after that.
Next day I remember the joy of seeing, way in the distance on my right, the large green metal structure used by the pilgrims from the Frances. I was so happy to get to Astorga. I went back the next year and walked the Sanabrese and loved it . I also walked from Seville again in 2017 via the Sanabrese and would love to repeat next year if possible. Sorry this is so long winded...
camino07,
Was the distant "large green métal structure used by pilgrims from the Frances" which you happily spotted from afar this bizarre pedestrian bridge at the CF entrance to the city? Whenever I entered Astorga on the CF this muti ramped structure hardly seemed a fitting entrance for such an ancient historic city. Of course once one climbed the hill all was splendid as was the welcome at the Albergue de peregrinos Siervas de María.

Last edited:
camino07,
Was the distant "large green métal structure used by pilgrims from the Frances" which you happily spotted from afar this bizarre pedestrian bridge at the CF entrance to the city? Whenever I entered Astorga on the CF this muti ramped structure hardly seemed a fitting entrance for such an ancient historic city. Of course once one climbed the hill all was splendid as was the welcome at the Albergue de peregrinos Siervas de María.
Yes, that's it mspath.:) Coming from the South it was a wonderful sight. English speakers at last.

I feel sorry for the towns on the overlooked section of the VDLP, but I'm not sure what could be done about it. Many of the folks who walk the VDLP have made a conscious choice to take a route that is not the Camino Frances. While the Camino Sanabres shortcut might not let you see the complete VDLP, it's a pretty attractive proposition.

These arguments about the true, proper, and authentic route abound, and they get pretty mean spirited.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Are you kidding? We eat your words like chocolates!

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back