• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking on a crowded camino

brownzp

Sorry if this question has already been answered somewhere before.

We all know it's a holy year. Finding a bed probably won't be as easy as usual, but I'm prepared for this. My question is: What is the atmosphere of actually walking the Camino Frances during such a busy time? The towns, cities and albergues will be crowded no doubt. But will the daily hike still provide some peace and solitude?

If not, is there another camino anyone would recommend for a first time pilgrim?

I'll be starting my walk on August 22nd. Thanks.

Zach

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hopefully, toward the end of August things may have settled down a bit. I started one Camino in August and another in September.

One thing I found that may help you is to walk "BETWEEN" stages instead of the stages that the guidebooks offer. Also... begin your walk mid-week if possible, and if not possible, then take a few short (or long) days to get yourself walking between the crowds. It really does make a difference.

What I found on the Way was that most people are very respectful of your privacy. If you want to walk with another person or group, then do it. And then when you are ready to walk alone, just say so. Almost all will understand and those who don't... well... it's THEIR thing, not yours.

You will have the experience you expect.

Go expecting peace and quiet, then you will be drawn to those experiences.

Buen Camino!
Annie

Hi Zach,

Yes, there have been many threads on walking during the Holy Year. The best is to use the search engine to look them up.

What I experienced on the Camino Frances in July may be no reflection on what you may encounter in August/September but here goes...

I left SJPdP on July 3 and arrived in Santiago on July 22nd (July 25th in Finisterre). From SJPdP till O Cebreiro I had NO PROBLEM finding a bed in a muncipal or parroquial auberge. Most mornings I would leave by 5.30 basically because I had an internal alarm clock which woke me up at 4.30/5.00. And although there were several others that left that early I NEVER had the feeling that it was busy. Everyone had their own pace and within no time I was walking on my own. More often than not I walked several hours in the morning alone (until my first coffee stop after 3-4hrs.) and in the afternoon alone (many Pelegrinos/as stop between 12-13.00 but I continued until 14.00-16.00). The fact that I did not follow the standard etapas but walked 1 1/2-2 1/2 etapas per day also made a difference I believe.

Mornings were my favorite - it was still a bit dark (when I left Holland daylight was at 5.00 but in Spain not until 6-6.30), sometimes a bit cool and alive with chirping birds. The air was so fresh, it just energized me! That first café (or hot chocolate as I did) stop became a great pleasure. It was then that I chatted with fellow Pelegrinos/as or locals having their beer! I might then walk a bit with someone but after a while we would go our separate ways. I am a firm believer in walking your own pace and what I quickly realized is that my pace was on the average quicker than most.

It was a bit surprising but I just loved the peace and solitude I experienced walking alone and I didn't want to stop! Although I hate to use the word "flow", that is probably the best way to explain what I felt - you are in a river and you just keep moving with the flow.

Given my pace/distance per day I did not meet up with many familiar faces in the evenings. That could be seen by some as a drawback. After Nájera I connected with 3 separate Spaniards who were walking distances similar to mine and for about a week we on and off walked together or met up during breaks or in the evenings. But even then, we respected each others' wish to be alone or walk in silence. This was true for most of the Pelegrinos/as I met.

O Cebreiro to Santiago was another story (but I recovered my peace on the way to Finisterre)! You can read all about that and a review of the auberges I stayed in under Camino Frances albergues, pensions and hostals

So yes, it is possible to experience a solitary and peaceful Camino Frances during the Holy Year. I hope that you are as fortunate as I was!

Buen Camino :arrow:
LT

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back