• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking on Diamond-Hard surfaces--Camino Question

Tim and Paula

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino de Santiago (2019)
Hola--a question for those with more information than we: approximately how much of the Camino Frances consists of concrete so hard it makes knees cry and feet shriek in agony? The reason I ask is that miles 3 and 4 of our 6 mile training loop are on reinforced concrete that is smooth and enormously pleasing to the eye but really hard on the hips, knees and feet, even though our boots are well broken-in. We changed the route today to include more off piste surfaces and experienced immediate relief but are now curious how much of the hard stuff we have to look forward to. The Brierley and Dintamen/Landis guides very thoughtfully give the paved/unpaved percentages but any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and Buen Camino!

Tim and Paula
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
A lot of the path at the start is extremely hard and sharp limestone chippings the concrete and tarmac sections came as a blessed relief. After Sarria the path seemed to be more sand based so was an actual delight to walk on. The first 400 km or so made the balls of my feet incredibly sore I learned to ignore the pain. I finished walking 2 months ago and my feet are still sore throughout the nightand first thing in the morning. The pain goes as soon as I walk. Try using gel insoles but remember they will make your shoes smaller.

Hola--a question for those with more information than we: approximately how much of the Camino Frances consists of concrete so hard it makes knees cry and feet shriek in agony? The reason I ask is that miles 3 and 4 of our 6 mile training loop are on reinforced concrete that is smooth and enormously pleasing to the eye but really hard on the hips, knees and feet, even though our boots are well broken-in. We changed the route today to include more off piste surfaces and experienced immediate relief but are now curious how much of the hard stuff we have to look forward to. The Brierley and Dintamen/Landis guides very thoughtfully give the paved/unpaved percentages but any additional information would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks and Buen Camino!

Tim and Paula
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
I found walking in and out of cities terrible for my feet and legs, all that concrete and hard surface(plus the noise and bustle of the city but that is another thing). I found the ubiquitous limestone chip just fine, my feet and knees much prefer that to concrete, cobble stones and pavers. Its not so bad if you are staying overnight in the city as you only go half way each day, but right through in one go can be a trial.
Some people take buses through them for that reason.

Sorbothane or similar insoles help a bit - but you may then need slightly larger boots / shoes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks and Buen Camino!

Tim and Paula
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Hi, Tim and Paula. . .

In trying to sort out how to help, I am wondering if you have a strategy in mind in knowing how much of the Frances is paved surfaces? I ask this because the simple knowledge of how much of the walking surface is concrete or tarmac, vs packed earth, vs stone wouldn't seem to solve the problem you are having if you plan on using your current footwear.

Is there something specific that the Forum members can help with toward finding a solution? There is a lot of great help and information here for you :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
This is a nice route for entering Burgos. It will take you right to the area of entry to the Cathedral, too. :)
We did a variant. We walked to Villafria and spent two nights at the Hotel Buenos Aires at the start of a bus route into town (there are other hotels nearby too). We bussed back and forth. Resuming the camino we backtracked 45 minutes to the start of the river route. We saw the normal route from the bus and that told us to avoid it.

Have you changed your insoles? Before the Camino, I always just wore the insoles that came with my hiking boots or hiking shoes. Most of my hiking is on dirt with some rocks, but usually nice dirt - sometimes sandy trails or even soft, comfy redwood duff :) Then I got to the Camino with all the tarmac and after a few days, my feet felt like someone had attacked the soles with a meat tenderizer. I went to the farmacia, where the pharmacist recommended new insoles. I got some super squishy gel ones for days with a lot of tarmac and then later picked up some more supportive, but still cushiony insoles for days with trails. It was a game changer. I put good insoles in all my hiking shoes and athletic shoes now.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Sorbothane or similar insoles help a bit - but you may then need slightly larger boots / shoes.
I'd like to hear more about Sorbothane insoles. Why choose those over others?

Thanks and Buen Camino!

Tim and Paula
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico
Hi Tim and Paula. I live in Bucerias. I see this is your first Camino. I will be doing my 5th in October. It is the responsibility of those of us who have walked before to help in any way new Pilgrims. I would love to meet you guys for a coffee, taco or an explanation of the differences between a Spanish and Mexican tortilla. It would be nice to offer any assistance if you would like some, that is. Don't want to be presumptuous! If not than just to meet and make some new friends. If you would like to meet let me know and we chat on IM privately. Also have you thought of wearing a good pair of trail runners instead of boots?

There is a softer way along the river into Burgos. See this thread:

Haha. Everyone on the Camino has heard of the “softer” river route into Burgos. And almost no one I talked to during my Camino was able to find it. Of course, if you miss the river route, you are condemned to walk into Burgos along the highway, industrial, and commercial routing into the city, which must be the very worst stretch of the CF, especially in the heat.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Wow, thanks for all the input. We're using Merrell Moab 2 waterproof boots, decided on after a marathon session with the folks at REI. Paula's are high, mine are low. We've been training for more than a year and are up to a 6 mile loop. The boots are nicely broken in(3 months, 4 times per week) , no hot spots or blisters, and our loop is 100% paved. Only when we changed to include a two mile stretch of gorgeous concrete bike path did the surface prove a problem. The rest of the bike path is also rougher concrete but doesn't have the same effect. Yesterday, we changed the route to walk on pavers and the dirt next to them and had no problems. Probably we just need to adjust our pace when we're on pavement.

Anyway, thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

Buen Camino!
Tim

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Hi Tim and Paula. I live in Bucerias. I see this is your first Camino. I will be doing my 5th in October. It is the responsibility of those of us who have walked before to help in any way new Pilgrims. I would love to meet you guys for a coffee, taco or an explanation of the differences between a Spanish and Mexican tortilla. It would be nice to offer any assistance if you would like some, that is. Don't want to be presumptuous! If not than just to meet and make some new friends. If you would like to meet let me know and we chat on IM privately. Also have you thought of wearing a good pair of trail runners instead of boots?
Hola--would love to meet a fellow pilgrim. When and where? We have a car and are in Nuevo Vallarta.
Tim

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Wow, thanks for all the input. We're using Merrell Moab 2 waterproof boots, decided on after a marathon session with the folks at REI. Paula's are high, mine are low. We've been training for more than a year and are up to a 6 mile loop. The boots are nicely broken in(3 months, 4 times per week) , no hot spots or blisters, and our loop is 100% paved. Only when we changed to include a two mile stretch of gorgeous concrete bike path did the surface prove a problem. The rest of the bike path is also rougher concrete but doesn't have the same effect. Yesterday, we changed the route to walk on pavers and the dirt next to them and had no problems. Probably we just need to adjust our pace when we're on pavement.

Buen Camino!
Tim
When will you be doing the Camino? Except perhaps in winter, many experienced pilgrims including resident shoe guru @davebugg recommend against waterproof shoes/boots in favor of very cushioned lightweight trail running shoes like Altra Lone Peaks or Hokas. I've made the switch to wearing sandals exclusively on the Camino, so you can see that a variety of footwear can be worn on the Camino. I haven't seen any trails on which hiking boots were necessary. I know that you've spent time breaking in the boots, but perhaps you should consider different footwear.

And definitely get together with Lyle. He's a great guy.

I found going into the larger cities where there lots concrete/pavement we a couple of times caught a cab to city center avoiding the industrial districts. Entering the cities were always at the end of the day and we were tired. Leaving the next morning we walked out after a refreshing rest.

Haha. Everyone on the Camino has heard of the “softer” river route into Burgos. And almost no one I talked to during my Camino was able to find it. Of course, if you miss the river route, you are condemned to walk into Burgos along the highway, industrial, and commercial routing into the city, which must be the very worst stretch of the CF, especially in the heat.
We didn't have difficulty finding it in 2016. Maybe we were just really lucky.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also found the river route to Burgos with out any problem.

Buen Camino!
Tim
I am by no means the expert here, having walked for 17 years in hiking boots or hiking shoes, until last year @davebugg gently showed me the error of my ways. IMO, and you may be different, but for the vast majority of people boots and hiking shoes are overkill for the camino. Trail runners are so much more cushioned, and so much more gentle on your feet.

I am on the camino Invierno now, but walked some very mountainous sections of the Vasco (Saiatz alternative) in my Altra Lone peaks and my feet did not suffer at all. No blisters, no foot pain. My companion, walking in a low Merrell hiking shoe, had lots of blisters and lots of aches and pains at the end of a 38-45 km stage. Not me! I think that in general most outdoor stores over-prescribe when it comes to shoes. Take a look at trail runners, lots of brands make them. Do a forum search snd you will find lots of evidence that for most people, trail runners are the best option. It only took me 17 years of walking Caminos to find this out. Hopefully others won’t suffer as long as I did. 😁

This is a nice route for entering Burgos. It will take you right to the area of entry to the Cathedral, too. :)

Hi Dave. I was most interested in the attachment to your post a couple of days ago about exercise an heart rates. Unfortunately I inadvertently deleted it and wonder if you would be able to send it again although I am not sure how I would be able to identify post amongst the numerous others.

Thanks, Rob.

Hi Dave. I was most interested in the attachment to your post a couple of days ago about exercise an heart rates. Unfortunately I inadvertently deleted it and wonder if you would be able to send it again although I am not sure how I would be able to identify post amongst the numerous others.

Thanks, Rob.

I'll send it to you via a PM :)

Tim and Paula,
I have walked only one Camino, so am far from having the answers. However, I learned a few things which I can pass on to you.
  • Yes, your shoes/boots must be comfortable at the start of your Camino, or else they will end up by the side of trail. I walked in Merrill Moabs because I trained in them for 2 years and had no blisters or problems during that time. They turned out to be wrong for me. Two weeks in, I realized that the soles were too soft and my feet were taking a huge beating from the gravelly and rocky trail. Also, they were a bit too supple and I had blisters throughout my 31 days of walking. The ankle support did save me from injury 3 times. It has been 4 years and my feet never recovered from the beating. I now wear Oboz Bridgers with a stiffer sole, but have yet to test them on any long trails. I am a big guy, so smaller individuals may be fine with lighter, softer shoes, but I learned that I personally need ankle support and a stiffer sole.
  • Your easiest day on the Camino will be more difficult than your hardest training day. To prepare, you should mix it up in your training. Throw in some wicked ups and downs, rocky trails and sand, and some very long days. Don't worry so much about concrete. The other parts of the trail will be unkind too.
  • When you are dehydrated, everything hurts. Take breaks during the day and drink water often. It will increase your stamina.
Have a fine Camino.
Mooncat

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thanks and Buen Camino!

Tim and Paula
Puerto Vallarta, Mexico

Hello Tim & Paula,
May I suggest that you go back to your original 6 mile loop for a few more sessions, slow down and see how that feels.

It may be that you are both simply walking too fast on a hard surface, carrying too much weight?

Buen (no hurty-feet) Camino

Six miles is only about 10km. You'll need to walk 20-30Km on the Camino.

Keep walking the 6 mile route until you feel comfortable. This may take several weeks with lots of aching muscles. Eventually you will get stronger. Slowly increase the distance.

I would not feel comfortable doing the Camino unless I walked at least 30km in training.

-Paul

Six miles is only about 10km. You'll need to walk 20-30Km on the Camino.

Keep walking the 6 mile route until you feel comfortable. This may take several weeks with lots of aching muscles. Eventually you will get stronger. Slowly increase the distance.

I would not feel comfortable doing the Camino unless I walked at least 30km in training.

-Paul
I walked the Camino with no training whatsoever in my 50s. I won't say that I didn't have any pains along the way, but nothing that threatened my Camino (once I acquired walking poles). My training consisted of shorter (15 km) days on the second, third, and fourth days.

That said, I did more training for my next Camino. :) I didn't do any 30 km days, though. I felt confident when I could walk 20 km three days in a row and not have any aches or pains.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I walked the Camino with no training whatsoever in my 50s. I won't say that I didn't have any pains along the way, but nothing that threatened my Camino (once I acquired walking poles). My training consisted of shorter (15 km) days on the second, third, and fourth days.

That said, I did more training for my next Camino. :) I didn't do any 30 km days, though. I felt confident when I could walk 20 km three days in a row and not have any aches or pains.

David,
I applaud you for obviously being generally fit, as a lifestyle. My brother is the same. No training needed. Me? Too much watching I Love Lucy instead of being active, perhaps?

Had you seen me, you wouldn't say I was so fit. I lead a pretty sedentary lifestyle and hadn't done regular exercise for years when I set out. I didn't say it was easy without training, just that it was doable. You'll notice I trained for my next one. :)

If the Camino seems like the kind of thing you want to do, better to train than not, but better to start without training than not start at all. Just leave yourself some extra time and take some shorter days at the beginning and don't push yourself too hard until you get a sense of what your body is capable of, which will be more than you suspect.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back