• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking on the beach

kemperik

Time of past OR future Camino
(2018) Coastal Camino from Lisbon
Hi,
my plan is to walk this part barefoot on the sand in june/july. I have few things to discuss with you:

1.Sand will be hot so i have to walk on wet sand i will see what will happen with my foot. This is my plan, because i cannot find anyone who walk that much barefoot on wet sand.

2.Weather. It is even possible to falk that much all day at the sun nex to the water? It is windy there?

3."Accommodation" i'm student and i don't have money, so my plan was to sleap in hammock anyway. It looks like there is trees next to the sand. What i read, it is illegal, but it is accepted, if i don't use fire.

4. Food. There is just few places where i can buy food and sometimes i have to buy food and water for 2 days. So it will be like 6-7L of water and food.

5. Tourists. If you look at map you will see, that there are small cities with tourists but then 20km nothing.

6. Locals. Do they know about Camino? Because i don't want them to look at me like i'm some homeless.

I will be happy to see, what you think about this idea.
wR1oLuL.png

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
People do walk the coastal way between Lisbon and Porto and even though you may occasionally find some arrows there it doesn't mean that's a Camino. For most of the Portugues all the roads go to Fatima (marked blue), and yellow Camino arrows you'll see on the central route Lisbon-Porto. There is infrastructure there on the central way, it's popular and it'll be cheaper to walk there as well. If you are interested in walking along the ocean then the coastal way from Porto offers it all to pilgrims, there are albergues there. It'd be slow to walk on the sand and in summer could be unbearable because of the heat as no shade there. Re hummock and sleeping raw: illegal but you could do it if very discreet. The point is that you'll miss the best thing on the Camino this way - communication with people. If you are on a tight budget there are other ways to do it. Have a look at the thread: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/the-cost-of-portuguese-camino.54186/#post-604763. By the way no need to buy water in Poartugal and Spain as the tap one is fine to drink.

Hi,
my plan is to walk this part barefoot on the sand in june/july. I have few things to discuss with you:

1.Sand will be hot so i have to walk on wet sand i will see what will happen with my foot. This is my plan, because i cannot find anyone who walk that much barefoot on wet sand.

2.Weather. It is even possible to falk that much all day at the sun nex to the water? It is windy there?

3."Accommodation" i'm student and i don't have money, so my plan was to sleap in hammock anyway. It looks like there is trees next to the sand. What i read, it is illegal, but it is accepted, if i don't use fire.

4. Food. There is just few places where i can buy food and sometimes i have to buy food and water for 2 days. So it will be like 6-7L of water and food.

5. Tourists. If you look at map you will see, that there are small cities with tourists but then 20km nothing.

6. Locals. Do they know about Camino? Because i don't want them to look at me like i'm some homeless.

I will be happy to see, what you think about this idea.
wR1oLuL.png
This is a bad idea the Portuguese coast from there have narrow beaches and huge waves . At some parts they warn you not to go on thebeach e.g nearby Aveiro.
Some parts there are big rocks and the road is on a hill and the beach deep down .
Because of the wind it is a paradise for windsurfers special the first part nearby the penninsula Peniche.

Wild camping is forbidden. Wild camping is showing no respect to the locals. There is a law and imho you have to respect that. If you have no money, stay home !

In every town , village, hamlet you can buy food and water. No problem. Portugal is a civilized country.

The Portuguese coastline is not deserted. everywhere are hamlets and are living people.
The Caminho de Santiago does not appeal to most of the Portuguese. Only the caminho de Fátima counts, especially south of Porto .

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back