• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

LIVE from the Camino Walking on the Camino Frances

Jagdev D.

Time of past OR future Camino
April 2022
Hello Pilgrims , I start walking the Camino April 27th after staying two days in SJPP , April 26th and 27th were beautiful days sunny clear and warm . I walked to Auberge Borda on Tuesday and enjoy the beautiful clear and wide view of the Pyrenees, went back to SJPP by cab and came back to Borda on Wednesday , walk to Roncesvalles Thursday and the fog was so thick that you could cut it with a knife, could not see anything more than few feet all day till few kms away from Roncesvalles .it was cold and light raining .Guy with the truck on the French side before Spain was there with the goodies. The Albergue at Roncesvalles was full of pilgrims. Today I’m in Zubiri and there is not a single bed available for those who do not have reservations In any Albergues In Zubiri.
The path to Zubiri if it was not paved , was quite muddy and slippery. Tomorrow’s temp should be around 19/20c on the way to Pamplona.
wishing all the pilgrims safe journey.
Buen Camino to all.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Bodes poorly for pilgrims this summer who have not reserved ahead, sad!
Yes - making me nervous! I have the first week reserved. I really want to be able to wing it - but not sure I should! Bayonne - Orisson - Roncesvalles - Zubiri - Pamplona (on the way out of town) and then going beyond the stages the next 2 days (but can't remember the town names).

@Jagdev D. Please keep us posted as to what the next few days look like as far as lodging in concerned!

Buen Camino!

Yes - making me nervous! I have the first week reserved. I really want to be able to wing it - but not sure I should! Bayonne - Orisson - Roncesvalles - Zubiri - Pamplona (on the way out of town) and then going beyond the stages the next 2 days (but can't remember the town names).

@Jagdev D. Please keep us posted as to what the next few days look like as far as lodging in concerned!

Buen Camino!
Im sorry , I did not have any wifi in albergue Borda and Roncesvalles, … nothing,… but in albergue in Zubiri it seems like normal.
Will be in Pamplona tomorrow , and will try to post from there ,
but I don’t have the answers.
Just pragmatic and optimist.
Wishing you well,
Cheers !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Im sorry , I did not have any wifi in albergue Borda and Roncesvalles, … nothing,… but in albergue in Zubiri it seems like normal.
Will be in Pamplona tomorrow , and will try to post from there ,
but I don’t have the answers.
Just pragmatic and optimist.
Wishing you well,
Cheers !
I saw on facebook that Pamplona is booked for tomorrow. I did look and only see some more expensive accommodation on booking.com. You might want to get an early start to get into a municipal. They have 180 beds I think. Plus there is the German run albergue. You might want to call the municipal and see if they are taking reservations. Normally they don't - but I seem to recall they asked if I had a reservation when I walked last year (due to COVID they may have made exceptions).

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
You have to get to places early to be (pretty) sure to get a bed if you're winging it. A few days ago a Danish guy in his 60's saw me outside in Vilachá at around 6, taking stuff out to the car. One albergue was having a day off and the other isn't open for the season yet. He begged me for a lift to Portomarin so I took him.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You have to get to places early to be (pretty) sure to get a bed if you're winging it.
It is funny because I usually got to all the towns early - often before check-in and certainly early after check-in started - but I am stressing this year and I have nearly 4 weeks before I even start! Haha

I saw on facebook that Pamplona is booked for tomorrow
Wow, indeed, only a few hotel rooms left in Pamplona for this weekend on booking.com and prices mostly above €200! Of course, this doesn’t mean that the albergue dormitories are full.

This weekend is a long weekend in some regions of Spain (Monday 2 May is a substitute public holiday for Sunday 1 May) so an increase of leisure travel within Spain is not surprising.

Also, the first two weeks of May are well known for being the most popular weeks of the year with the highest number of international pilgrims starting from SJPP, and the section of the Camino Francés SJPP-Pamplona is a well known bottleneck as far as cheap beds directly on the CF are concerned.

Last edited:
This is a holiday weekend everywhere in Spain. May Day, Labor Day. It’s not representative of the month of May experience along the Camino.
The above reads like every day must be booked on your Camino.
We are in Naverrete tonight and have had no problem with no reservations so far beyond Pamplona.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I saw on facebook that Pamplona is booked for tomorrow. I did look and only see some more expensive accommodation on booking.com. You might want to get an early start to get into a municipal. They have 180 beds I think. Plus there is the German run albergue. You might want to call the municipal and see if they are taking reservations. Normally they don't - but I seem to recall they asked if I had a reservation when I walked last year (due to COVID they may have made exceptions).
Jeanine.. I’m in Pamplona, had the reservation, it was such a good day , warm and reasonable sunny , will stay one ,more day before start walking towards Punta La Reina On Monday morning. There is lot going on, seems like in Pamplona today over the long weekend in Spain.
On another note,..
In front my hostel someone tried to pick cell phone from my pocket. Be careful and be aware of your surrounding Pilgrims.
Cheers to all, Buen Camino.

try to pick cell phone from my pocket. Be careful and be aware of your surrounding Pilgrims.
Oh no! I was grateful not to have to worry last year - everyone was social distancing LOL! The only people who would come near you would be other pilgrims haha

Glad you said "try" and not that it was stolen!

I wonder if this shortage of beds early on will lead some pilgrims to try new paths. It would certainly help spread the tourist income to more places. The route from Somport is beautiful, less crowded and ties In to the Frances at Puenta La Reina I believe. There's also the route from Bayonne to, I think, Pamplona (Baztaan?) So many paths, there’s no need to suffer through the stress and worry of not finding a bed and you’ll still have plenty of time to meet and form bonds with other pilgrims.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I could really do without all the bed racing. Starting in Burgos on thursday the 5.may - and it's not my first camino. I'm going to sleep outside a lot if it becomes necessary and use hotels 2-3 times a week. Not that big of a deal. If anyone sees me I'm the big guy with military boots and big military backpack that's racing past you.

Hello Pilgrims , I start walking the Camino April 27th after staying two days in SJPP , April 26th and 27th were beautiful days sunny clear and warm . I walked to Auberge Borda on Tuesday and enjoy the beautiful clear and wide view of the Pyrenees, went back to SJPP by cab and came back to Borda on Wednesday , walk to Roncesvalles Thursday and the fog was so thick that you could cut it with a knife, could not see anything more than few feet all day till few kms away from Roncesvalles .it was cold and light raining .Guy with the truck on the French side before Spain was there with the goodies. The Albergue at Roncesvalles was full of pilgrims. Today I’m in Zubiri and there is not a single bed available for those who do not have reservations In any Albergues In Zubiri.
The path to Zubiri if it was not paved , was quite muddy and slippery. Tomorrow’s temp should be around 19/20c on the way to Pamplona.
Buen Camino to all.
I am in Pamploma. Last night in Zubiri was booked out and tonight in Pamploma is booked out. We met a man who did not have a bed and every seemed booked out- late afternoon with long weekend of public holiday coming up. Good luck everyone. Bookings recommended

Buen Camino to all.
We are on the same schedule, it seems! Zubiri was full because there was a super-marathon by bicycle on Saturday. One group of pilgrims I talked with had to taxi back to Burgete to find allergies beds. But I saw them today in Pamplona and they had found accommodations. I think it will be easier from here on, but I must say I’m glad I have reservations.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You have to get to places early to be (pretty) sure to get a bed if you're winging it. A few days ago a Danish guy in his 60's saw me outside in Vilachá at around 6, taking stuff out to the car. One albergue was having a day off and the other isn't open for the season yet. He begged me for a lift to Portomarin so I took him.
So nice of you!!

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back