• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking on the Camino vs walking at home

trecile

Staff member
Time of past OR future Camino
Francés, Norte, Salvador, Primitivo, Portuguese
I completed my Camino at the end of September and have been home for over a month now. I want to continue walking daily, because I love to walk, but it's just so different from walking on the Camino.

This quote that I took from a blog post really sums it up for me

Most of all, I miss the feeling that I was exactly where I was meant to be at almost every moment

When I'm walking at home I keep thinking about all the other things I should be doing, and I can't enjoy it as much.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
For me it is the difference between walking to a destiny and just --- walking.

Buen Camino de la vida, SY
Even when I'm walking to a destination at home, as I did yesterday when I walked to meet my friends for coffee, my mind goes to what else I could / should be doing at home.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
OK, so what did you think about on Camino that wasn't what-ever-else you could or should be doing? The privilege of Camino is that we are not doing anything else and (for most of us most of that time) there isn't anything else we should be doing. Back home, fitting a walk into our days can never be the same as fitting our days into a walk.

On Sunday I took the dogs for an 8 mile romp over the Downs; I cooked a Sunday meal for family and friends; I spent some time moderating, and I spent some pleasant time in the local pub with The Beloved, Small Dog and some chums. Each of those distinct events was equal to and as precious as any other. Though sadly much briefer than any Camino.

Next time you walk tell yourself you're in training for your next Camino and that therefore there is nothing else that you 'should' be doing that can possibly be as important. ;):)

Camino walking is great, you only have to consider where you will walk to, where you'll eat and sleep. An escape from the daily routine. That said, I live in a beautiful part of England and try to do a weekly walk on a Saturday 10 km or 15 km, with my Camino walking companion who lives in my town. Walking is good for the soul wherever you do it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Somewhere in our genetic past we were all nomads. A long distance walk to a specific destination feels right. Couple that with an inclination to listen to the still small voice, whether religious or not, and you have something special.

At home walking in circles or even walking short distances to get from one place to another, does not make my heart sing.

When in training for our treks - all the time really - we will often walk 20-30kms to an overnight destination and then walk home again the next day. We even manage 3 days sometimes. If you have the luxury of time it's a great way to keep trek fit as well as trialling and sorting out any new additions to the kit :rolleyes:

We also walk a lot around the neighbourhood and always try to find new untrodden paths. It keeps us focused on route finding and also keeps that spirit of discovery alive.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
For me, the difference is in how I looked at what I walked past...if that makes sense. Once I returned, I saw things differently, and walking with that new 'eye' is what keeps the camino alive for me. When I walked in Spain, I was very much like "Jack from Ireland" in the movie...each thing must have some meaning, some significance...look at that old latch on the door, the carving over that window, the bird on the tree...that old fig out here in the middle of nowhere....so much wonder over so many little things. Luckily, I returned to an old city (by US standards anyway) so there were plenty of old churches and buildings for me to walk past as I went to buy veggies in the market, or to my dojo, or for a walk 'round the harbor....look at that arch, how graceful against that old wall...how pretty the stained glass is in the morning sun, how calm the water is with fog all around...seeing what is in front of me now kind of crowds out the other little nagging things...so even in my not so old city, it's easier to fill my mind with what my eye sees.

I walked 8 miles this afternoon, squeezed between morning and afternoon appointment, in a very early prep for next fall's CdN. It was good and satisfying. It was, however, truly squeezed, and a quick pace was essential if I was to be back in time for a class I was teaching at 3. Being ready for the next item on the agenda was always hovering just under my conscious thought.

Part of the joy of my last pilgrimage, and what I long for in the next, is the freedom to "be." Not to "do." Just to "be." (Yes, I hear the"do-be-do-be-do ). On the Camino I can stop here, or not, as the moment allows and the heart desires. The pressure is low. That's lovely. I'd like to learn to remain in that low pressure place in a more normative, day-to-day way. Maybe the Camino will provide that. I dream, and in the meantime I walk.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have been doing long distance walking, mostly alone, in the mountains of Alberta for most of my life. I do it for spiritual renewal, and to enjoy the extraordinary beauty of the mountains. If I meet anyone in the backcountry, I know that we can rely on one another. We are, quite simply, all that we have at that time. Don't expect your cell phone to work that far from a tower.
I go home refreshed and renewed. But generally I do not go home changed. My two Caminos have given me religious insights which have caused profound changes in who I am. I have grown in my faith, and this affects every aspect of my everyday life. I don't know what changes will come about in my life as a result of this latest Camino. The most I can say is that I am gradually coming to live my life from the inside out, instead of the other way around. The Way has been an extraordinary gift to me.

When I walked my Camino my mind was clear of things like work, family stress and cellphone. I walk for exercise about 15 miles a week Mondays-Fridays. Unfortunately all of those things I mention above has been added to my tension again. About two weeks after returning my wife and I discussed the fact that both of us were feeling the stress and both of us wanted to be back on the Camino. I pray and meditate yet I live in the reality of my society, work and activities. My best times are when we drive to a trail head and hike through the mountains and beaches of the Washington State.

When I walk on the Camino I listen to the world around me. When I walk at home I listen to books on tape. It's amazing how many books you can "read" just walking around the neighborhood.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks for starting this discussion. It is serving as a reminder to me to start fitting more walking into my day.

When I first returned from my Camino last fall, I felt like I was going through walking withdrawal. I made an effort for a period of time to walk places that I would ordinarily drive. Over time that little voice in my head reminding me of all of the other things I could be getting done if I was driving instead of walking took over. Time for a new mindset. Training for my next Camino starts today....

When I walk on the Camino I listen to the world around me. When I walk at home I listen to books on tape. It's amazing how many books you can "read" just walking around the neighborhood.
I listen to podcasts while I'm walking at home. Including the Camino Podcast, which helps me remember my Camino and gives me ideas for the next one.

Walking is walking. The Camino is the Camino. Home is Home.
Walking the Camino does not compare to Walking at home.
Two different things.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
For me, the difference is in how I looked at what I walked past...if that makes sense. Once I returned, I saw things differently, and walking with that new 'eye' is what keeps the camino alive for me.
The most I can say is that I am gradually coming to live my life from the inside out, instead of the other way around. The Way has been an extraordinary gift to me.
Exactly!!

Wherever you go, there you are.

I think that the secret is not to look at the Camino as something 'other than' who you are away from it. My experience was that as I walked the Way I became part of it and it suffused and grew me deeply. That has remained with me every day since regardless of how or where I walk.

It's not about wanting to be anywhere else or yearning for what was. It is the feeling of being 'on Camino' at home.

So beautifully described by both @Smallest_Sparrow and @Albertagirl

Both times I have walked the Camino, it has taken me a few days of walking to shake off thinking of all the things that need to be done at home. I'm not sure how to get around that when at home.

Both times I have walked the Camino, it has taken me a few days of walking to shake off thinking of all the things that need to be done at home. I'm not sure how to get around that when at home.
Easy! - just think about all the things that you need to organise for your next Camino! ;)

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.