• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking on the RAIN in May. Trail shoes?

Diegomartine

Time of past OR future Camino
Sept 1st. (2014)
Hi guys,

I'm going to walk the camino from SJPDP to Santiago starting on May 1st 2013.

I would like to ask you about the rain, and if it a really intense rain or light, because I decided to walk using trail shoes from Salomon, I tried several boot but I feel better using the trail shoes.

This is the model that I have:
http://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Crossmax- ... nning+Shoe

Only the front of the shoes is waterproof, do you think will be enough? or should I get a complete waterproof shoe? if the rain is really light I think this will be fine, not sure.

Any advice?

Thanks! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
In heavy rain, almost no footwear stays dry. Generally, comfort is more important than being waterproof. You can add gaiters for a bit more rain protection, but they just delay soaked boots in heavy rain. Most rain is light, but that is not guaranteed.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked in New Balance waterproof walking shoes in April and early May of this year. Although it rained almost every day, sometimes very heavily, my feet were rarely wet. I also wore rain pants that covered the tops of my shoes and kept the water out very nicely. I have also walked at the same time in other years and had no rain at all.

I like seeing pictures of the shoe rack or shoes all lined up on the outside of the refugios. At these times, one can see all the different types of shoes we all wear. Trail shoes, military boots, flip-flops, high end running shoes, low-cut hiking boots, no shoes, sandals. I suggest you go with whatever you feel the most comfortable. Most likely, at one point or another, the feet will be soaked no matter the shoe. There is always the next day of walking to dry. If your feet are not in pain, then you've made the right choice. :D

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks guys! Appreciate the advice.

I'll see if I can get a complete waterproof Salomon trail running, because mine is waterproof only on the front part of the shoe...

Can't wait to start walking!

Diegomartine said:
Thanks guys! Appreciate the advice.

I'll see if I can get a complete waterproof Salomon trail running, because mine is waterproof only on the front part of the shoe...

Can't wait to start walking!

You could check these out as another option....
http://www.orssnowshoesdirect.com/cresc ... oties.html

I had this bookmarked on my computer before I left at the end of September but didn't buy them. Just something to look into! There were some days when I wished I had them, though my feet remained pretty much dry (I walked in Montrail trail running shoes) but it just depends how much rain you run into really.
A very very important thing is to make sure you have good waterproof pants- they keep the rain from getting into your shoes and nothing was worse than when my "rain pants" would soak through and my legs were wet and cold. Ugh. Really good waterproof pants were the one thing I would have added to my load for sure!

Your feet feel great but do consider your knees and back, You are not carrying much weight but it is a daily thing over rough and slippery trails, these shoes give little support for problems that might show up later. "Remeber your knees, you will miss them when they are gone" the song rightfully says. One last reminder, the Camino in Galicia is often used for transfering cows, sheep, etc from place to place and the mud one meets there is often not mud! Be careful with low topped footwear.
S

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
scikowski said:
I walked in New Balance waterproof walking shoes in April and early May of this year. Although it rained almost every day, sometimes very heavily,

I, too, walked in May, thinking that the rainy season [often April] would be gone. How wrong I was! On parts of the VdlP there was torrential rain - and I had rain every day. That, plus blistered feet resulted in me giving up. I was bitterly disappointed after the perfect Camino Portuguese the previous year.

My lasting memory of Santiago 2012 is summed up in the picture below!

At the time I decided I was too old for any more caminos. Now I'm thinking about a new one for next spring....

Buen Camino!

Stephen
http://www.calig.co.uk/camino_de_santiago.htm

Attachments

• DSCF1836.JPG
    DSCF1836.JPG
    108.6 KB · Views: 6,138
I loved hiking in the rain and geez did we have plent of it earlier this year, particularly through Castilla y Leon! I had semi water proof hiking shoes which dried out easy enough over night if they got too wet. I think the best thing was the quick-dry pants. I dont think you need waterproofs as such, quick-dry's are just as efficient and still help keep the water out of the shoes somewhat.

I walked in may this year, and was very happy that I chose goretex hiking boots, I saw many people with light weight sports shoes and to keep they're feet dry wore plastic bags over they're socks.

Remember the greatest cause of blisters is wet feet!

The worst part for me was the mud which built up under the boots making each boot weigh heaps

I have to say that my experience is quite different. I've walked a lot in my native Scotland (a country which is rather prone to rain!) and also on many winter and spring caminos and I have never had wet feet simply from walking for hours in pouring rain. I always use Salomon Mid Ankle boots/shoes with a Goretex Liner. The Goretex has never let me down yet even wading through streams and puddles. I use a full waterproof outer shell (Patagonia) with pit zips for ventilation and waterproof trousers long enough to ensure they come well over the top of my shoes. I only ever use gaiters for walking in ankle deep (or deeper) snow.

You may find these links helpful:

http://ourhikingblog.com.au/2008/06/is- ... -real.html

http://www.gore-tex.com/remote/Satellit ... ep-you-dry

Before youi decide on trail shoes you must be aware that you need to be well trained, these shoes are good for those who have strong ankles and tough feet.
Are you well trained? what is your body weight? height? how much weight are you planning to carry?
The problem with wet shoes is...wet socks, water will drain out of your shoes but the socks will remain soaked. result- blisters for the untrained.
Yes, these shoes will dry fast and even if not-no problems using them wet the next day.
Plastic pants are a must, so is a poncho or rain jacket.
For the untrained I suggest no less then low Goretex hiking shoe with Vibram .Why risk it?

I walked in expensive Sportivo Boulder trail shoes, which did not last through 2 days of torrential rain and I had to buy sandals in Leon. These were far more comfortable than the expensive trail shoes. I have now decided that I will always carry a pair of walking sandals for contingency plan B in case there are problems with my shoes. Another pilgrim also bought a pair of sandals in Leon and walked in them to Santiago. She threw her boots away in a bin in Leon.

I walked in a lot of rain this past September in the Sevilla area. I had on running shoes that let in a lot of water, but also wore wool running socks. Wools socks are the best! Even when I'd get really wet, they'd dry out quickly as I walked -- way faster than any other technical sock I've ever used.

BTW, I'm not sure what it's like on the Frances, but on the VDLP I've never had lots of heavy rain all day, or even for hours, like you can get in the States. Even if it's been basically raining all day, it seems to be largely mist or a light rain, with a few 5- or 10-minute downpours and several 30- or 60-minute stretches of no rain. Stephen may have had a different experience on the VDLP, but my rainy days have never been that bad because you keep drying out pretty well in between the heavier rain.

Melanie

I was planning on walking in may with my seven year old daughter but I'm quickly changing my mind.... Is may generally like on the frances route or was last year a one off? Would June be a better option to bring a child between Leon, maybe astorga starting point to Santiago?

June is hotter and more crowded than May. You may never see rain in May, or your could get heavy rain in June. There is nothing you can do about the weather, so ignore (and prepare) for it. :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
falcon269 said:
June is hotter and more crowded than May. You may never see rain in May, or your could get heavy rain in June. There is nothing you can do about the weather, so ignore (and prepare) for it. :D
I think if we can survive 360 days of rain here in ireland we will survive it in Spain :) thank you muchos!

jennysa said:
I walked in expensive Sportivo Boulder trail shoes, which did not last through 2 days of torrential rain and I had to buy sandals in Leon. These were far more comfortable than the expensive trail shoes. I have now decided that I will always carry a pair of walking sandals for contingency plan B in case there are problems with my shoes. Another pilgrim also bought a pair of sandals in Leon and walked in them to Santiago. She threw her boots away in a bin in Leon.

Hi Jennysa,

Could you share what kind of sandals did you use? brand?

Thanks!

zammy said:
Before youi decide on trail shoes you must be aware that you need to be well trained, these shoes are good for those who have strong ankles and tough feet.
Are you well trained? what is your body weight? height? how much weight are you planning to carry?
The problem with wet shoes is...wet socks, water will drain out of your shoes but the socks will remain soaked. result- blisters for the untrained.
Yes, these shoes will dry fast and even if not-no problems using them wet the next day.
Plastic pants are a must, so is a poncho or rain jacket.
For the untrained I suggest no less then low Goretex hiking shoe with Vibram .Why risk it?

Hi Zammy,

I use to hike and run regularly, however not for long hours, also, when I'm back from my hike, sometimes I feel some tension on my lower back and legs. I'm 180cm height and 170 pounds. Planning to carry around 10% of my body weight.

I'm planning initially to walk with my salomon running trail shoes (link on my first post), but I also have a Lowa Renegade (http://www.rei.com/product/789686/lowa- ... boots-mens) do you recommend the lowa instead of the salomon? I feel that the lowa can be more heavy and difficult to walk than the salomon, but not sure.

Could you send a link of the Vibram that you are recommending?

Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Pollyappleseed said:
I think if we can survive 360 days of rain here in ireland we will survive it in Spain :) thank you muchos!

I agree with you Pollyappleseed. I walked SJPdP-Muxia-Fistera this summer. After this, I went to Dublin for 5 days. I encountered more rain in Ireland than I did 32 days in Spain! I love them both no matter!

Keep a smile,
Simeon

We walked about 400 miles of the Camino in September this year. I wore Chaco sandals (Child's style; slightly different from adults) all but one day (on which I wore Keen sandals). We only had four days of rain (consecutively, in Galicia, the third week of September), but I didn't mind the wet feet, the shoes dried out quickly (they're basically waterproof), and they were always so comfortable. I wore low socks, which of course were quickly soaked through, but again, did not find that a problem. It wouldn't work for everyone, but suggests that there are many different possible approaches.

mralisn said:
Pollyappleseed said:

I agree with you Pollyappleseed. I walked SJPdP-Muxia-Fistera this summer. After this, I went to Dublin for 5 days. I encountered more rain in Ireland than I did 32 days in Spain! I love them both no matter!

Keep a smile,
Simeon

Thank you Simeon! We do have a great country! Even in the rain :D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Diegomartine said:
jennysa said:

Hi Jennysa,

Could you share what kind of sandals did you use? brand?

Thanks!

They were a Spanish brand, but identical to the Hi Tec walking sandal, and cost 54 euros. My friend who threw her boots in the first bin she could fine, bought Teva Sandals, which were 39 euros and she walked from Leon to Santiago in them and then continued on to Finisterre.

Hi,

I use the xa pro 3d ultra-2
http://www.salomon.com/za/product/xa-pr ... tra-2.html

It's the only way my feet breath. I find waterproof salomon a problem as my feet sweat a lot.

I am concerned about the rain and wonder how I will cope with wet feet in these shoes.

I start the Camino on 2 May 2013.

Thanks for all the opinions.

Regards,
Darren

Diegomartine said:
I would like to ask you about the rain, and if it a really intense rain or light....

You can get both, light and intense rain. I used waterproof boots and, in less than 5 minutes, during an intense downpour just before Estella my feet were soaked to the bone. That night I dried them using a borrowed hair dryer. I guess if it unavoidable to walk on intense rain, take out sandals and try to keep your main boots dry the best you can, i.e. keep them underneath your poncho. BTW, during that heavy downpour rain episode, the Camino got flooded, so one way or another my feet were going to get wet. If you are walking starting on early May, it is wise to plan for rain. More critical than shoes, during a rain episode your poncho will become your best friend :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I too have been looking at Salomon Shoes and the Escape Aero ($100)or Xapro ultrec($130) look like they will keep water out and dry out faster once wet. Good luck..... Willy

What's most important is being able to keep your feet warm and dry if you want to. Whether you hike is running shoes, sandals or boots, that's purely a matter of personal opinion. If your boot or shoe is not lined with a waterproof and breathable fabric (and it's not waterproof treated leather like some hiking boots) than consider a pair of waterproof socks. There are many companies that make these and you can hike through snow and rain in sandals wearing them and your feet will remain dry. If you are going to buy a pair of lightweight non-waterproof shoes, then you might consider throwing a pair of these in your backpack for rainy days. I have a pair of Sealskinz.

Here are some scenes of snow in April 2012. You never know what you'll get!

http://www.lavozdegalicia.es/album/gali ... 166571.htm

I can recommend the Salomon XA PRO 3D Ultra GTX; they're a lot lighter than a hiking boot but still have a lot of support. They've been great for trail-running as well as hiking and them being waterproof is fantastic. Darren is right, the GoreTex version is a bit warmer but since I don't have the hi-top version, it hasn't bothered me.

I almost bought the Crossmax style that you have because they were so comfortable but was worried about them taking too long to dry out. I hiked some of the Camino Frances in a pair of LaSportiva trail shoes three years back and squishing along, waiting for them to dry out was frustrating. Rain pants that come down over the top of your shoes is a really good idea no matter what shoes you end up using.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I walked the Camino in April/May last year and had more days of rain than sun. I walked in Salomon XA Pro 3D Mid GTX and loved them http://www.salomon.com/others/product/x ... gtx-w.html. I did not have any problems with blisters, my feet were very comfortable in them, and I would use the mid-height rather than the low-cut for the ankle support. Unfortunately a small tear developed and I had wet shoes most of the way through Galicia. However, I found that good wool socks and Gehwol foot cream really helped keep my feet comfortable even when they got wet with the torrential rains.

Good luck choosing - always go for comfort!

M.
http://www.onthecamino2012.wordpress.com

Just a few thoughts, some of which may be controversial to generally accepted "wisdom" . . .

I do a lot of mountain backpacking in Colorado. I used to use heavy, waterproof boots to protect against twisted ankles and prevent water, and I struggled regularly with blisters. As I started reducing my pack weight (less stuff, lighter stuff, multi-use stuff), I dropped the boots and started using lightweight trail shoes. I found I didn't need the boots for ankle support and I actually had better traction and foot control without the ankle constraints. (Caveat: It took several trips to strengthen my ankles and toughen my feet, and building that strength is really important before talking any long hike, let alone the Camino.)

In selecting my shoes, I really focused first on fit and support, second on durable construction and good traction. Based on recommendations from the ultralight backpacking community, I deliberately skipped both waterproofing and leather and looked instead for shoes that would minimize water retention and dry out as fast as possible. Because I assume they'll get wet, I want to get rid of the water rapidly, and membranes like Gore-Tex really slow that down once you have the water inside the shoe/boot (even without getting wet, after a long hike, my socks were damp from perspiration inside my old Gore-Tex boots). Since moving to lighter, water-permeable shoes, combined with high quality wool socks, I have only gotten one very small and minor blister in the last two years, and that was after a three-day hike where it rained non-stop and the trail was 3" of mud, slime, and rushing water.

Keeping dry, as noted above, is the key, but we also have to effectively manage moisture when we can't avoid getting wet. Waterproofing may help with prevention, but it's terrible once wet. If we accept that, sooner or later, wet IS inevitable, then managing the moisture after we get wet is far more critical than preventing the moisture in the first place.

Although other's mileage may vary, the end result for me is that I have fewer blisters, less foot and leg fatigue, and greater control while hiking difficult terrain. Thus, I'm safer and more comfortable, and, I can walk farther and have more energy when I stop.

But wait, there's more --- my boots used to stink to high heaven, and now I have almost no smell at all, even after a long, wet trip.

[Caveat: In winter, different rules apply, and prevention and warmth increase in priority because, while dry and warm are best, being wet and warm is still better than frostbite.]

My walking gear

Rub petroleum jelly on your feet. Coolmax liners, woollen socks. Goretex ankel lengte shoes and gaiters and finally water proof breathable pants.

Shoes must be well walked in before the camino.

never had bruised feet. Tired yes but no bruises or wet even in the torrential downpour you encounter on the camino.

Cheers

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
bpondugula said:
. . . Rub petroleum jelly on your feet. . . .

This site is the first and only place I've ever heard or seen this method with regularity, and I've seen it very commonly here. I'm wondering if it is a generally European thing or specific to the Camino.

I don't see it in any of the US backpacking forums I follow, including those dealing with 2,000+ mile / 3,000+ KM trails like the Appalachian and Pacific Crest Trails. Most folks over here who do really serious distance hiking avoid boots and Gore-Tex shoes and opt for light, quick drying shoes with wool socks (some use liners, others don't).

As a general rule, I see (again, in the US serious hiking forums), petroleum, bag balm, a "Glide" product (BodyGlide, PowerGlide, etc.) and similar products only being used as prevention specifically when they feel hot spots.

falcon269 said:
Vaseline is petrolatum. Bag Balm is petrolatum with a bit more hydrogenation and some lanolin.
100% agreed.

The point of my observation is that, in several years of active following of primarily US forums, including WhiteBlaze.net for the 3500KM long Appalachian Trail, I've never seen reference to rubbing feet down with petroleum jelly every day as a general preventative method to hiking blisters. The use of petroleum jelly (and derivative products like Bag Balm) tends to be limited to immediate prevention once a hot spot has formed. There may be isolated discussions of it that I haven't seen, but it certainly isn't the norm.

In just a couple weeks in these forums, however, I've seen two or three dozen references to the practice of rubbing petroleum jelly on the feet on a daily basis. I'm wondering if this is something common across Europe, or tends to be specific to the Camino itself.

This is certainly one of those "hike your own hike" topics, and each person will discover what works, or suffer until they do.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
koilife said:
Just a few thoughts, some of which may be controversial to generally accepted "wisdom" . . .

A great example of why I enjoy this forum so much. Good on you for sharing a different side with experience and success.

Diegomartine said:
What do you think about these boots?

TO WALK LATE APRIL AND MAY.

Merrel Moab Mid Gotetex
http://www.zappos.com/merrell-moab-mid- ... g-dark-tan

And,

Merrel Moab Ventilator
http://www.zappos.com/merrell-moab-vent ... mid-walnut

How do they feel on your feet when you walk around in them? That's the key.

If you feel best in the Ventilator then I would suggest bringing waterproof socks such as Seal Skinz to keep your feet dry. Chances are you're going to encounter some rain and perhaps freezing rain and snow.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Whatever you do, dont buy the Boulder Sportivo trail shoes. I walked in torrential rain for 2 days in September, and that was the end of my very expensive trail shoes.

koilife said:
falcon269 said:
Vaseline is petrolatum. Bag Balm is petrolatum with a bit more hydrogenation and some lanolin.
100% agreed.

The point of my observation is that, in several years of active following of primarily US forums, including WhiteBlaze.net for the 3500KM long Appalachian Trail, I've never seen reference to rubbing feet down with petroleum jelly every day as a general preventative method to hiking blisters. The use of petroleum jelly (and derivative products like Bag Balm) tends to be limited to immediate prevention once a hot spot has formed. There may be isolated discussions of it that I haven't seen, but it certainly isn't the norm.

In just a couple weeks in these forums, however, I've seen two or three dozen references to the practice of rubbing petroleum jelly on the feet on a daily basis. I'm wondering if this is something common across Europe, or tends to be specific to the Camino itself.

This is certainly one of those "hike your own hike" topics, and each person will discover what works, or suffer until they do.

Hi thought i'd pitch in with my Camino shoe & vaseline tails!!
after a terrible experience in sept 2010 where my beloved, well worn in Italian leather hiking boots were abandoned in Pamplona :( & replaced with cheap & cheerful nike tennis shoes because my heels were a bloody mess ( they were fine for the ten remaining dry days!), I was prepared next time around( so I thought !!) with my wonderfuly comfy, well worn in & gortex lined salomon trail shoes....but after 4 days my fabulously bony heels played up again & crying/hobbling into Zubiri I was considering trading the bloody things in again!!....BUT, perservervance, painkillers & determination prevailed & the compeed plasters helped a little ( temporarily)....The real revelation came when i met a lovely Irish chap in Santo Domingo de la Calzada, upon finishing his Camino stretch for the year & seeing my wounded, bloody heels..gave me his tub of vaseline & showed me how to dress my poor heels for the next morning....this combined with the teatree & lavender oil i had bought with me to disinfect at night was a lifesaver!

I guess for me , my heels are my weak spot, but I consistently vaselined, gauzed & taped my heels, right up until the last day into Finistere & no dramas, even now i do the same on bushwalks here in WA...the shoes are great & never got wet feet ( they will be coming with me this year!!) just identified my weak spot & took care of it...hope this helps

koilife said:
falcon269 said:
100% agreed.

Hi! I agree, I have also noticed that some advice you get here are different from what you can read in other forums. Maybe because this is not a usual hiking/outdoors forum, but just about the pilgrim routes. And lots of people are walking because of spiritual reasons, and maybe aren't that interested in outdoors equipment otherwise. So some methods you can find here may be "homemade" and practised by just a few.
I'm not putting any jelly on my feet, and no boots. I'll be walking in my light and wonderful Teva sandals, even if its raining, feeling free and happy. :D

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
my footwear tales are possible at a tangent to those previosly offered.One day one my trusty well worn Nike fell apart leaving St jean....i had to wait till Pamplona to replace them with a 20 euro no brand shoe. Then the magic happened...the camino mother at cizar minor(?) blocked the laces and my cheapo shoes were transformed into walking weapons fit to conquor the world. Go to you tube for helpfull hints on lacing and blocking. it will be of more use to prevent blisters that petrolem jelly.
My son took soloman 3d ultra lights...he got them a month before we left and only took them out the box when we were ready to leave.they were pain free and he was blister free the whole trip till the penultimate day.
From Easter till late sept i would always go for trail shoes over boots in Spain...this year i may well try the North face hedgehogs

finally...thin liner socks and thick wool socks work for me...both dry out each night quickly...sport socks look better but can still be damp in the morning....witness the number hanging on the back of packs during the day!

Diegomartine said:
What do you think about these boots?

TO WALK LATE APRIL AND MAY.
Merrel Moab Ventilator
http://www.zappos.com/merrell-moab-vent ... mid-walnut
I had a pair of Ventilators (low tops) and wore them out with what I expect is right around 450-500 miles (but those were also 95% up/down mountain miles, which are hard on shoes). You should easily get a full Camino in them plus advanced break in time.

I liked the toe guards. They had more padding than similar other shoes, which made them more comfortable up front, but they retained more water for longer because of the padding. Moreover, once the padding breaks down it's no more comfortable than any other shoe (fit and stability will be the biggest determinant of long-term comfort). The leather, once soaked, also takes too long to dry out.

I'd recommend considering the low tops rather than the mids. Mids don't really give you that much greater ankle protection, but do somewhat constrict mobility, thereby increasing risk of a fall. Mids may help keep more scree out, but a good pair of gaitors is much more effective.

That's my experience. Your mileage may vary.

Susannafromsweden said:
I'll be walking in my light and wonderful Teva sandals, even if its raining, feeling free and happy. :D
Hi! Do you know of a online-shop where I can order Teva sandals... in Europe? (Sometimes the internet links from the US demand "zip codes"..) and there certainly aren't any shops in that sells Teva shoes.

Shannon_Flekkefjord said:
Hi! Do you know of a online-shop where I can order Teva sandals... in Europe?
amazon.co.uk

If you go on the teva.co.uk website and use the store locator, you will find plenty of Teva stockists in Sweden and Denmark, but not Norway. Possibly because it is the home of Teva Pharmaceuticals.

Hi-tec also make good hiking sandal's and are usually much cheaper than Teva.

Good luck.

C

Susannafromsweden said:
I'll be walking in my light and wonderful Teva sandals, even if its raining, feeling free and happy. :D
Hi! Do you know of a online-shop where I can order Teva sandals... in Europe? (Sometimes the internet links from the US demand "zip codes"..) and there certainly aren't any shops in that sells Teva shoes.

Hi!
Yes, I think you can buy them from :
http://www.outnorth.se/

You can chose country at the top of the website.
I buy a lot of thing from this shop, and think its great.
(And addnature.se got them, at a nice price right now, but not sure they send to Norway)
My favourite shoes are Teva Terra (which I had when doing Vdlp), but there's lots of different models.
I've tested cheap copies also and thought they were rubbish. But that's me. :wink:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Walking in sandals can be a real pleasure though I would bring along a pair of waterproof socks such as Sealskinz (sic) in case of Spring snowfall or cold rain. They are really great.

For Tevas in Europe check any European Ebay site (ebay.co.uk, ebay.be, ebay.fr) and do an EU Teva sandal search, there seem to be plenty of them for sale in Europe. On the Ebay.co.uk there are nearly 500 new pairs listed.

falcon269 said:
comfort is more important than being waterproof.

Good point. If your shoes do get wet, I was taught this great method to dry them out quicker; learned this on my first night at Roncesvalles after we crossed the very wet Pyrenees: Newspaper stuffed into your shoes will draw out moisture.

Attachments

• DSCF3536.jpg
    DSCF3536.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 3,659
I can recommend Chaco sandals as well. I had Tevas at one point and I must say they STANK after getting wet a few times. Chacos don't seem to smell as much and have great arch support. My husband and I brought them as our only pair of shoes travelling through India and Sout-East Asia for 18 months and valued them greatly. You can wear the Z-1s with socks.

acdbee said:
I can recommend Chaco sandals as well. I had Tevas at one point and I must say they STANK after getting wet a few times. Chacos don't seem to smell as much and have great arch support. My husband and I brought them as our only pair of shoes travelling through India and Sout-East Asia for 18 months and valued them greatly. You can wear the Z-1s with socks.

You have my sympathy. I have a pair of Teva omnium, which I sometimes use when walking in the woods here in Sweden. One day I walked in rough terrain over a few very damp areas, wet and full of mud and rotten leaves. When I came home my shoes were so dirty I had to put them in the washing machine. They came out as new, clean and perfect. Don't know what you stepped in to but must be something worse, as you had to throw away such great shoes.
Never heard of Chacos but I'm sure they are great too. I googled them, and they were even in the Urban dictionary. It nice to walk in sandals. :)

I made the mistake of taking flip flops which were useless . In Castrojeriz, there is an amazing and unlikely outdoor shop, where I bought a pair of Source sandals. And didn't look back. Loved wearing them with socks to walk in, great to wear in the evenings, and no funny looks from people in the cities, which we certainly got when wandering around in flip flops.
These Source sandals seem to be along the same lines as Teva and Chacos, and they smell of vanilla ! Still glad I had the boots for some of the very stony paths, and the downhills .

I have been through the expensive Gortex hiking boot to el cheapo hiking sandals and to be quite honest the expensive Gortex boots once wet never dried out and then fell apart. The best solution I've come across is light weight trainers/shoes that dry out quickly. I currently use a pair of Merrill Barefoot Trail Gloves with synthetic socks that wick moisture away from the foot. They are exceedingly comfortable but best of all they dry out very quickly and are light weight. The soles give you all the protection you need. The only proviso was also covered in previous replies, you need to build up the strength of your ankles. Sadly there is no substitute for a bit of trail conditioning before you set off. It does not take much but it will make your whole experience so much better. I have walked extensively in Scotland when I lived there (21 years) and now live in Australia where I have completed the Bibbulmun Track twice. Always used to use boots but found the joy of light weight and won't go back.

PS I will be and the Frances Mid April/May this year.

Happy walking.

Susannafromsweden said:
I have a pair of Teva omnium, which I sometimes use when walking in the woods here in Sweden.
thanks! The Teva omnium look perfect for me.. I'll try outnorth if I can't get someone local to order them for me. Hope the snow melts soon here so I can try out some sandals ;D

Susannafromsweden said:
I have a pair of Teva omnium, which I sometimes use when walking in the woods here in Sweden.
thanks! The Teva omnium look perfect for me.. I'll try outnorth if I can't get someone local to order them for me. Hope the snow melts soon here so I can try out some sandals ;D

Yes they are good, I think they are the most comfortable shoes I got. They are light and very stable.
But be careful as what fits me perfect might be horrible for you, as we all are different.
And, as they are something between sandals and trainers, they are warmer.
I had them in Greece in August last year when hiking on Santorini. It was so hot I thought my shoes would melt. They didn't thank God but I got a little blister on my heel, as I got ashes from the volcano in my shoes, which was difficult to get rid of. Don't think we'll pass any hot volcano on the camino, but anyway. :wink:

The snow is melting here and the sun is shining, so I'm off for a walk today! :D

Hi again Diego!

Also starting to gear up for my Camino. Picked up two pairs of boots at a Canadian outdoors store yesterday to try out, and they're quite similar to the ones you recently posted links to:

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Footwear/ ... womens.jsp

http://www.mec.ca/AST/ShopMEC/Footwear/ ... womens.jsp

Last time I walked, I wore regular trainers, and they didn't do me so well. I feel this type might be a better option because they're waterproof yet breathable so my feet won't be cooking if we get really hot weather (which is totally possible...) and they provide more ankle support than traditional trainers.

Good luck with your own search,
Lindsey

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Re: Not the rain is the problem: The heavy loam on your shoes!

Hello
When you wander through fertile agriculture areas you will have to fight with the heavy clay which sticks like Kilos on your shoes. That will be your problen, not the moisture!
I wish you a "Buen Camino" with fine weather
Jochen

Re: Not the rain is the problem: The heavy loam on your shoes!

Jochen-Schmidtke said:
When you wander through fertile agriculture areas you will have to fight with the heavy clay which sticks like Kilos on your shoes. That will be your problen, not the moisture!
A few years ago we met a pilgrim with a sizeable backpack near Pamplona, who started his Camino bare footed in Germany. When asking him whether his feet hadn't suffered from threading on nails, glass or other cutting objects, he answered, "no" and that his feet had become like leather. He hadn't got stuck in the mud up to El Alto de El Perdon as we did :oops: He also had a good walking speed, as we realized some days later. Ergo: no socks, no boots, no blisters (apparently no cold feet either :roll: )
This is the other extreme for the "walking in the rain in May" experts :|

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
This May/June, my son and I walked Camino Frances with just super breathable trail running shoes that we had professionally fit at a running store. No half or whole ankle support. No gore-tex. Just fast draining nylon with good tread. We used a single layer of very, very good wool ankle socks (Darn Tough). No vaseline. No duct tape.

We spent ten straight days in wet shoes from rain and slogging through deep mud. On the entire trip, my son and I each got only one blister, and that was from the day we walked on a constant sideways incline --- our small toe on the downward side fell victim to rubbing as it carried our weight. Thus, no blisters from moisture.

Our high-top gore-tex clad compatriots got less wet, but those with lower tops got just as wet. Some got blisters, some not, during those rainy days, with the key difference being fit and lacing techniques (variable lacing and heal locking makes a huge difference). However, every last one of them struggled with blisters once it got hot. Their gore-tex, although breathable, simply couldn't keep up with the sweat load created. Only by rotating socks every two hours or so could they hedge against blisters on the really hot days.

Given that one pound of shoe weight has a similar impact as seven pounds of pack weight, those pondering footwear really should consider professionally fitted, breathable, non-waterproofed trail runners, provided their packs stay light enough not to require heavier support. While everyone's feet are different, and everyone's mileage may vary, the system does work and really helps keep blisters to a minimum.

This is most comforting to read. I plan to walk from St. Jeane Pied de Port to Santiago de Compostela in the last week of May to the end of June, 2014, just about the time you walked the Camino this year. I had read negative comments on Goretex/waterproof shoes and when I liked the price and reviews of a pair of Salomon XA Pro 3D Ultra 2 trail running shoes, I ordered it right away. I was thinking of borrowing a pair of goretex hiking boots to be safe but what you shared has helped me to decide to bring the Salomons and have hiking sandals. Barefoot in the mud doesn't seem like a bad idea too because I hate having to pull up my shoes from thick mud.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I know people who like to run/work out barefoot but it's not something you just start doing before a long hike. Your feet will over time toughen up but the key point is over time.

You could check these out as another option....
http://www.orssnowshoesdirect.com/cresc ... oties.html

I had this bookmarked on my computer before I left at the end of September but didn't buy them. Just something to look into! There were some days when I wished I had them, though my feet remained pretty much dry (I walked in Montrail trail running shoes) but it just depends how much rain you run into really.
A very very important thing is to make sure you have good waterproof pants- they keep the rain from getting into your shoes and nothing was worse than when my "rain pants" would soak through and my legs were wet and cold. Ugh. Really good waterproof pants were the one thing I would have added to my load for sure!

Thanks for that tip! I will get getting these booties for my husband and I!

I had a pair of Ventilators (low tops) and wore them out with what I expect is right around 450-500 miles (but those were also 95% up/down mountain miles, which are hard on shoes). You should easily get a full Camino in them plus advanced break in time.

I liked the toe guards. They had more padding than similar other shoes, which made them more comfortable up front, but they retained more water for longer because of the padding. Moreover, once the padding breaks down it's no more comfortable than any other shoe (fit and stability will be the biggest determinant of long-term comfort). The leather, once soaked, also takes too long to dry out.

I'd recommend considering the low tops rather than the mids. Mids don't really give you that much greater ankle protection, but do somewhat constrict mobility, thereby increasing risk of a fall. Mids may help keep more scree out, but a good pair of gaitors is much more effective.

That's my experience. Your mileage may vary.

thanks for this excellent report on the ventilators! I purchased the low tops you mentioned even, they were far and away the most comfortable shoe I tried on, and I tried A TON. I was also considering gaitors, have a nice waterproof pair that velcros on from cross country skiing. Also got some rain gator pants :)

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes they are good, I think they are the most comfortable shoes I got. They are light and very stable.
But be careful as what fits me perfect might be horrible for you, as we all are different.
And, as they are something between sandals and trainers, they are warmer.
I had them in Greece in August last year when hiking on Santorini. It was so hot I thought my shoes would melt. They didn't thank God but I got a little blister on my heel, as I got ashes from the volcano in my shoes, which was difficult to get rid of. Don't think we'll pass any hot volcano on the camino, but anyway. :wink:

The snow is melting here and the sun is shining, so I'm off for a walk today! :D

Thank you for this advice! I love Tevas and think I will try the Omniums as my backups instead of the crocs I had planned on. Better to have a backup I can actually hike it!

I walked the entire very wet and muddy CF this past May/June. I would advise mid high boots with strong soles (Vibram). The mud above your laces and the soles below will be key. i also agree with those who remind you to consider the rest of your leg, not just your feet. Mid-highs will allow you to keep better balance on scree, as will the tough bottoms. I saw many pilgrims in trail shoes who had a rough time going through some of the more rugged parts of the Camino. Mid highs do not necessarily weigh an excesive amount. But your feet and legs will be your primary source of transportation. You must take care of them. The garages along the way are called . . . doctors' offices.
Also, don't forget the type of socks. Very important.
Take sandals for those times when your feet need to breath! In town, even occassionally on the road, socks and sandals can be a welcome relief. But for most everyday walking, you must protect your feet and knees at all costs.
Kathy, whose feet and knees survived in great shape

A selection of Camino Jewellery
returned from CF Oct 8-31. Walked all of it in Teva Sandals (Terra Fi 4 http://www.teva-eu.com/mens-terra-f...r_1004485_color=MGBL#start=4&cgid=men-sandals).

No socks. No blisters. No need to carry boots or shower/relaxation flipflops. No need to change footwear before going into albergue. (just go straight to showers in the same sandals). Had about a week of rainy days, most of it near mountains. As people mentioned above, most of the time you walk on a rainy day means walking in the drizzle or very light rain. Your feet are almost shielded from the top by your torso/shoulders, so take only few droplets of rain, and dry quickly. Very heavy torrential rain has no power to last longer than 10-20 minutes, which are better spent giving yourself a rest under some tree. Unless you are caught in the heavy rain in the meseta (did not happen to me, on the contrary, meseta loooked like a burnt desert). Had to walk twice in heavy downpour that lasted about 20mins. Feet only felt a bit cold when crossing streams of water flooding the camino.

I think sandals are tottally fine for June-Sep, with May and October being on the borderline. Take some socks for added warmth on colder mornings.

And, lastly, remember sticks. Doing camino with light sandals+sticks is much safer than going in mid-high-vibram-goretex boots without sticks. Your knees, joints, and leg muscles will thank you, while your upper body will get stronger.

I have been wearing boots until last month on the Camino de Levante when my boots disintegrated on the first day (same boots I used 2 years earlier on the Camino del Norte). I guess the salt water might have something to do with it.

In any case had blisters on the first day, on the second day (Sunday) had not choice but to walk with my sandals (Crocs) for another 30 km (just a small blister on the right heel). On the third day managed to get a pair of running shoes (Asics) and it was fantastic. No more blisters, and even on a wet day the following week.

The buddy I walked with were going most of the days with sandals. It was okay except when it is cold, rocky or sharper inclines.

I guess there is not one size fits all, but a runner or track runner is the closest bet considering all the terrain along most of the Caminos. We are talking about extreme wilderness here.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.