• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking only "sections" (some stages) of the Camino

Ralf42

Time of past OR future Camino
future
Dear all,

I am planning to walk one path of the Camino, and I am grateful that I have found your forum.

I am happy to introduce myself. So kindly let me know if this is common here in this forum.

Based in Germany, I would like to walk just parts of the Camino only for a few days. This due to time constraints.

Could you tell me if this is technically possible, i.e. could I for example just walk on the Camino del Norte only from the stages Bilbao to Guon? Or would it be inappropriate?

Thanks

Ralf

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Many people only walk part of a Camino due to time restraints (or other restraints).
No one will check your ticket because a) why would they and b) there are no tickets.
If you want to sleep in albergues, and maybe one day get a compostela, you'll need a pilgrim's passport to collect stamps.
The King of the Belgians walks a part of the Camino each year, with his family.
If it is good enough for a king, I would not worry if I were you.

Since you are based in Germany, you may have one or more Jakobswege near where you live:

Bildschirmfoto-2021-09-29-um-08.50.16-e1632898277689.png

Many people walk the Camino in "sections". Some collect a whole Camino's worth which they can present later for a Compostella. Just make sure that you have a credential as many albergues admit only pilgrims with a credential.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You can start and stop anywhere you would like. While the majority seem to do the last 100km for shorter trips, many people start and end anywhere along the path that interests them. Or some walk in stages over many years. For example - starting in SJPDP and walking for a few days.... and returning the next year where they left off... and so on until they complete. Good luck!

Hello all,

Thanks for your quick replies!

I guess I will just see which cheap flights are available and might start somewhere in Spain or Portugal. I have not been out of my German hometown for 10 month, and I think I have never been more excited about a planned trip than this time :)

Regarding "admitting only pilgrims with a credential": I certainly might need some basic knowledge on the Camino. Therefore, if anybody has a good link/thread with the "basics on Camino organisation", kindly let me know.

On my end, I will keep you updated and I will be happy to answer direct questions when I am on the way or back.

Regards

Hello all,

Thanks for your quick replies!

I guess I will just see which cheap flights are available and might start somewhere in Spain or Portugal. I have not been out of my German hometown for 10 month, and I think I have never been more excited about a planned trip than this time :)

Regarding "admitting only pilgrims with a credential": I certainly might need some basic knowledge on the Camino. Therefore, if anybody has a good link/thread with the "basics on Camino organisation", kindly let me know.

On my end, I will keep you updated and I will be happy to answer direct questions when I am on the way or back.

Regards

In the right upper corner of this forum you will find a search engine. You can type in some keywords and lots of possible answers /threads wil pop up.

The resources section will also be of help.

Happy preparations!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We walked Bilbao to Santander. Easy to do in 6 or 7 days, and both ends of the walk served by airports. A beautiful walk, and we will return for another stretch when we have time.

Dear all,

I am planning to walk one path of the Camino, and I am grateful that I have found your forum.

I am happy to introduce myself. So kindly let me know if this is common here in this forum.

Based in Germany, I would like to walk just parts of the Camino only for a few days. This due to time constraints.

Could you tell me if this is technically possible, i.e. could I for example just walk on the Camino del Norte only from the stages Bilbao to Guon? Or would it be inappropriate?

Thanks

Ralf
Hi Ralf,
We only did it in stages ( and we are not finished) check out our website www.carrick.ch/jakobsweg .

Dear all,

Thanks

Ralf
Hello Ralf

I am a retired New Zealand lady. My long time friend married an Englishman and we meet each year mid June , and walk on Camino Frances for around 8 days including travel from England ( and NZ )

We start off the next El Camino walking week exactly where we left off the previous year

We love it

It is the best way for us to reunite together , plus enjoy the Spanish pilgrimage

Just DO it

Best wishes.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
As others point out, many walk the Camino in sections. Some walk the Camino in sections with the intent to piece them together into a long route, walking a certain amount one year and returning in a future year to continue from where they left off. Some might walk a section with no intent to go further on that route towards Santiago. For example, someone who has previously walked the Via de la Plata might walk the Camino Mozarabe only so far as Meride, where it joins up with the VDLP which they've already walked. Others prefer a "best bits" Camino, just walking the parts that interest them (although many in this forum argue against such an approach).

Two things to consider when walking in sections:
1) If you are walking a continuous Camino and are breaking it up in sections, you will want to get a stamp in your credencial where you finish off each section. Then, when you return to continue your Camino, get another stamp from the same place to start your Camino up again.
2) If you want to claim a Compostela certficate at the end, you will need to walk the last 100 km continuously along a recognized route collecting two stamps in a recognized credencial every day. You can break this last 100 km down into sections walked on different occasions, but you'll need to follow the procedure described in (1) above to ensure it is recognized as continuous.

Of course, if you aren't interested in collecting a Compostela, do as though wilt.

I'm doing sections, in whatever sort of order appeals to me that year. As is true for many people, I did not do anything outside of my own country for more than two years. Fortunately the US is large (and includes Puerto Rico), so I was able to travel and do some hiking, but I missed the Camino. Hopefully I'll be walking from Logrono to Burgos in August this year.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back