• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking or biking with a 3 year old very active child

evelinaandpiero

Time of past OR future Camino
November, 2018
Hello pilgrims,
We are planning our first family camino in November and looking for information on travelling with a young child. Our child is very active and can walk or bike long distances. He likes to hike, and we walk a lot on a daily basis. He will be close to 4 years old in November. We are thinking to either walk 100km from Baiona to Santiago or bike 200km from Porto (with 2 bikes and one chariot/trailer for the child). We have 5-6 days only for the camino (not including flights to Europe). We speak Spanish fluently. I am finding out that biking might be dangerous because of crazy drivers. Where can I find information on off road bike trails? Are there any? Any useful guides that you would suggest? We'd prefer to bike a coastal area from Porto to Vigo. And then take whatever safest biking route all the way to Santiago. Anyone has experience with biking with young kids? Would walking be a safer experience? Also, if we did both, biking and walking (150km bike and walk 50km) can we still get a certificate? Thank you! :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I like the idea of a "shorter" walk/bike camino with your child. It is a great was to give it a go. Biking on roads IS of concern, so you are aware of that. If anyone is concerned about a child being in the alberques, please, don't worry. A child will be bone tired like the rest of us!! They'll sleep - and not snore! What a wonderful family event. Buen camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I like the idea of a "shorter" walk/bike camino with your child. It is a great was to give it a go. Biking on roads IS of concern, so you are aware of that. If anyone is concerned about a child being in the alberques, please, don't worry. A child will be bone tired like the rest of us!! They'll sleep - and not snore! What a wonderful family event. Buen camino!

Hi, thanks for your response. Could we bike on the main camino roads, if the highways are dangerous? Do you think? Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Hi everyone, I went on a short coastal Camino Portugues in March with my 11 year old son and wanted to share some of my experiences here. We walked a very small part of the Camino. We started...
Hello fellow Pilgrims☺️ I am planning to do the my first Caminho ( Portugese coastal route) in September. I have been reading in various posts that you can ask for a pilgrim’s discount for...
Hi fellow pilgrims! I have walked 1450km over several years on the Camino Frances alone, without planning much. This year is going to be very different! I have convinced my mom to come with me. I...
Hi, arrived in Porto today starting the coastal camino on Friday! I just found out the hostel I am staying at does not allow pack pick up. Im walking to vila cha 1st day and physically I cannot...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back