• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store
Camino Magnets
A collection of Camino Fridge Magnets

Walking or Hiking boots recommendations

Oliverisla

Year of past OR future Camino
Hi

I am looking at climbing Kilimanjaro in 2022 and I have to purchase some new boots. I have recently had Berghaus which made my feet sweat causing blisters.
I do really long walks all year round and on a regular basis and I am always looking to climb a mountain
Can anyone recommend a specific boot to accommodate please

Last edited:
Camino Maps
A collection of Camino Maps from the Camino Forum Store
2021 Camino Guides
Most all Camino authors have decided to use 2020 guides for 2021, with free PDF files with updates coming in the spring. Get yours today.

Roland49

Try some Meindl. Class B or B/C should fit the given type of use (the higher the letter, the more stiff is the sole). I dont think that you need a pure Class C. I would go for pure leather, no mixed materials.

They offer most models in narrow (normal) or wide footbed.
The Kilimanjaro is a bit challenging, so try to break in your new boots or shoes far before that adventure.

HTH

BC Roland

SabineP

Camino = Gratitude + Compassion.
some and then more. see my signature.
Shoes / boots are of course a very personal choice but I can't do without my Hanwag.

Oliverisla

Try some Meindl. Class B or B/C should fit the given type of use (the higher the letter, the more stiff is the sole). I dont think that you need a pure Class C. I would go for pure leather, no mixed materials.

They offer most models in narrow (normal) or wide footbed.
The Kilimanjaro is a bit challenging, so try to break in your new boots or shoes far before that adventure.

HTH

BC Roland
Roland

thank you for your response, unfortunately my current boots are leather and I find my feet sweat massively in them
I have been recommended the Saloman Quest 4d boots but still on the fence with these

thank you again

Roland49

thank you for your response, unfortunately my current boots are leather and I find my feet sweat massively in them
Oh, I have sweaty feet, too. But if you buy boots or shoes with a good leather-quality and you use the right caring products the leather is almost as breathable as GTX or other membrane textiles.
And leather don't heat up in the sun like textiles do. Ok, most of the time it will be dark on your way up to the summit ;-)

Just try different brands / material mixes at a local store. Buy at least 1.5 sizes bigger than usual.
One of the biggest disadvantages is that leather won't dry as fast as textiles if it gets wet.

BC
Roland

Camino Masks
12 different designs, shipped world wide from Santiago.
Camino Cups
Browse our selection of Camino Cups on the forum store

Arn

Veteran Member
I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail (2,264 miles/3643 km) and wore leather, ankle high Merrels. I wore the same boot on my first Camino (St Jean to SDC). I developed serious blisters and a near Camino ending knee issue. The last four Caminos and St Magnus Way in Orkney, Scotland, I’ve worn New Balance 920 series and have had no problems. The roll-bar technology strengthened my ankles thus no knee problems. Check them out!