• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking or Hiking boots recommendations

Oliverisla

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi

I am looking at climbing Kilimanjaro in 2022 and I have to purchase some new boots. I have recently had Berghaus which made my feet sweat causing blisters.
I do really long walks all year round and on a regular basis and I am always looking to climb a mountain
Can anyone recommend a specific boot to accommodate please

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Try some Meindl. Class B or B/C should fit the given type of use (the higher the letter, the more stiff is the sole). I dont think that you need a pure Class C. I would go for pure leather, no mixed materials.

They offer most models in narrow (normal) or wide footbed.
The Kilimanjaro is a bit challenging, so try to break in your new boots or shoes far before that adventure.

HTH

BC Roland

Shoes / boots are of course a very personal choice but I can't do without my Hanwag.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Try some Meindl. Class B or B/C should fit the given type of use (the higher the letter, the more stiff is the sole). I dont think that you need a pure Class C. I would go for pure leather, no mixed materials.

They offer most models in narrow (normal) or wide footbed.
The Kilimanjaro is a bit challenging, so try to break in your new boots or shoes far before that adventure.

HTH

BC Roland
Roland

thank you for your response, unfortunately my current boots are leather and I find my feet sweat massively in them
I have been recommended the Saloman Quest 4d boots but still on the fence with these

thank you again

thank you for your response, unfortunately my current boots are leather and I find my feet sweat massively in them
Oh, I have sweaty feet, too. But if you buy boots or shoes with a good leather-quality and you use the right caring products the leather is almost as breathable as GTX or other membrane textiles.
And leather don't heat up in the sun like textiles do. Ok, most of the time it will be dark on your way up to the summit ;-)

Just try different brands / material mixes at a local store. Buy at least 1.5 sizes bigger than usual.
One of the biggest disadvantages is that leather won't dry as fast as textiles if it gets wet.

BC
Roland

Find out what class of crampons you will need and make sure that whatever you buy will be compatible.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I thru-hiked the Appalachian Trail (2,264 miles/3643 km) and wore leather, ankle high Merrels. I wore the same boot on my first Camino (St Jean to SDC). I developed serious blisters and a near Camino ending knee issue. The last four Caminos and St Magnus Way in Orkney, Scotland, I’ve worn New Balance 920 series and have had no problems. The roll-bar technology strengthened my ankles thus no knee problems. Check them out!

Don't forget the importance of the right pairs of socks. I use a combination of sock liners and light woolens, or those socks with toes and/or woolens over them.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.