• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking other direction

Mark Powell

Is it possible to walk Camino Inglese in the opposite direction, ie from Santiago to Ferrol or La Corunna? Has anyone walked this way and is it possible to follow the arrows backwards?
Thanks, Mark

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You can walk any camino backwards. But remember you won't see any arrows until AFTER you pass the 'change direction' point which can make it very difficult indeed.
Good luck!

I suggest you take a map to find your way. Even the forward markings on the Ingles can be obscure on occasions. I do not think I saw any reverse markings as you can see regularly on the Camino Frances. I walked in reverse from Fisterra, and it was hard to find the route several times. In one spot I had to wait for Fisterra-bound pilgrims, and head where they came from. With the light traffic on the Ingles, it would have been a long wait!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Falcon is right. A good map is VERY useful for walking in reverse which can be hell in heavy rain, deep mud, fog or snow.

Although I can not comment on this route I did walk backward along the Portuguese Camino from Santiago to Tui/Valenca de Minho in December 2011.

To go backward is more complicated than you might think; searching for the famous yellow arrows pointing opposite your direction isn't easy especially in dense wood or high pasture. You must consider where it might have been logical to place a marker and then hunt for it!! Viewed backwards arrows resemble anchors. Thus it all becomes a bit of a treasure hunt! Be prepared to feel uncertain and to suffer a stiff neck from constantly looking over your shoulder!

Margaret Meredith

in this case, it might be particularly complicated, given the fact that there are so many junctions and crossroads in this camino, but I am sure it can be done if you keep your eyes wide open. I met a Canadian girl and a cyclist doing it Santiago-Ferrol 2 weeks ago, and they seemed happy enough!

I agree with Amancio on this. I have walked this way from Ferrol a few times and it is well marked but the waymarks are often placed at an angle or a corner which are hard to see if going in reverse. The section going out of Santiago might be a bit difficult due to the change of route but its very picturesque but then other sections may be straightforward. The section around Neda and Naron is a walk way around the ria which the locals use all the time for their daily walk. The John Walker Camino Ingles guide is very good. Keep us informed if you decide to go this way but I think it is possible.
Liz

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Indeed, the exit of Santiago must be particularly challenging! Just ask for indications to the Tanatorio, the camino goes past it. Just follow the broad street in an Industrial park, and at the end of it, opposite to a bar, you will have to turn right and then you will be on your way!

I would like to suggest investing in 2 guides, Johnnie Walker's guide to the Inglés and also his Walk of Walks. The latter covers walking around Santiago itself and crosses every Camino at some point, thus starting you on the right track. With the Inglés guide and a map, possibly also a mini pedometer, it should be possible to work out the reverse route especially if you have walked the usual way at a previous time. The latest of Johnnie's updates is also available on-line from CSJ if not included already in the version available from the link on the forum
Buen reverse Camino

It's my understanding that pilgrims of yore walked home. The most beautiful explanation i have received is that the journey was like the unrolling of a spring which was fixed to your home doorstep and slowly unwound day after day as the pilgrim made its way and having successfully reached their destination the spring was rewound on the return journey.
For me, this is such an appealing image and it has been a part of my meditations as I visualise a slow methodical return to the "real" world,
I am trying to explore how I can do this without the rapid, almost explosive return which seems to categorise those who go through the symptoms of camino cold turkey.
Dax

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back