• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking out of Porto etc/my first Camino Portugues

Walking out of Porto

• How to walk out of Porto

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Extern or intern camino

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Accomodation and coach

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Jolanta Karpinska

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Aragon 2004-2006, Camino Frances 2010-2014
Hi,
I've walked both Camino Aragon and Camino Frances, but it's my first Camino Portugues, starting in Porto on 13th of Semptembre. My leg is injured, and I need time to recover, so I've decided to walk shorter distance in the begining and increace km every day. Where would you advice me to start in Porto, from the Cathedal, or take the metro and start somewhere else? Which camino should I take - extern or intern? Is there possibilities to fined accomodation on the way when you walk only 5 or 10 km a day, or take a bus along the camino?.. Thanks... Jolanta

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Jolanta. Welcome on the forum.

There are some caminhos Portugues so your poll is a bit confusing and hard to give an answer.

First of all starts the caminho Portugues central in Lisbon

Till Coimbra you follow the central route
Close by Coimbra starts the caminho Portugues interior which leads along the east side of Portugal and connects with the Via de Plata in Spain.

From Coimbra the central route leads to Porto.

There the route splits into a coastal caminho Portugues da Costa and leads all away to Redondela allmost with the ocean at your left side

But in Porto also leads the central route to São Pedro de Rates and on to Barcelos, Ponte de Lima and Valença do Minho to Redondela and on to Santiago.

So what is your question in the poll ?

What do you mean with accomodation and coach ?

Bom caminho

Hi,
I've walked both Camino Aragon and Camino Frances, but it's my first Camino Portugues, starting in Porto on 13th of Semptembre. My leg is injured, and I need time to recover, so I've decided to walk shorter distance in the begining and increace km every day. Where would you advice me to start in Porto, from the Cathedal, or take the metro and start somewhere else? Which camino should I take - extern or intern? Is there possibilities to fined accomodation on the way when you walk only 5 or 10 km a day, or take a bus along the camino?.. Thanks... Jolanta
If you start in Porto it is a 20 odd km to Mosteiro de Vairão where is an albergue in an old monastery. You could take the metro from Porto to Forum Maia and from there walk to Vairão. About 14 kms
From there to São Pedro de Rates is 14 km where is an albergue
From there to Barcelos is 20kms. Most distances on the caminho Portugues central are between 15 and 20 kms and most of the time you'll find albergues or hostals.
Public transport is very poor on this route so I am afraid you have to walk most of the distances.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you start in Porto it is a 20 odd km to Mosteiro de Vairão where is an albergue in an old monastery. You could take the metro from Porto to Forum Maia and from there walk to Vairão. About 14 kms
From there to São Pedro de Rates is 14 km where is an albergue
From there to Barcelos is 20kms. Most distances on the caminho Portugues central are between 15 and 20 kms and most of the time you'll find albergues or hostals.
Public transport is very poor on this route so I am afraid you have to walk most of the distances.

Useful information - thx.

Hi,
Take the beach route. The Porto Metro runs a commuter line to Matosinhos. Get off at the bridge and follow the arrows, or cross the river , turn left, walk to the ocean, turn right, and follow the ocean and the arrows. We took the metro to Matosinhos our first day and walked back to Porto along the ocean and river. No packs, lots to places to rest, eat, and drink. When you get to the Eiffel Bridge take the cog way to the top and go back to your room. Then in the morning to back to Matosinhos cross the bridge and follow the arrows. Spend the night in Vila do Conde and in the morning follow the arrows inland and back to the main route. spending the night in Barcelos. Most of the walk is flat, duck boards along the beach, graded DG, some black top, and lots and lots and lots of cobble stone. No steps or stairs. Bien Camino

Happy Trails

P.S. Ponte de Lime has a festival in late September. There will be no rooms at the Inn and no mangers!

I leaving Porto Sept 15th with my partner, Paul, and will keep an eye out! Its my first camino and I am sure I will need to cut at least a few days shorter than what's in the guide book.

We are probably heading to Vila do Conde and then, back to the central route through Rates. We debated the coastal route the whole way through Portugal, but feared it would get a bit repetitive.

By the way, it looks like the Ponte de Lima festival is Sept 11-14 (http://www.cm-pontedelima.pt/ver.php?cod=0L0E) so we will likely miss it. It does look quite cool though.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I leaving Porto Sept 15th with my partner, Paul, and will keep an eye out! Its my first camino and I am sure I will need to cut at least a few days shorter than what's in the guide book.

We are probably heading to Vila do Conde and then, back to the central route through Rates. We debated the coastal route the whole way through Portugal, but feared it would get a bit repetitive.

By the way, it looks like the Ponte de Lima festival is Sept 11-14 (http://www.cm-pontedelima.pt/ver.php?cod=0L0E) so we will likely miss it. It does look quite cool though.
The coastal is a great walk. Nothing repetitive except for the ocean is almost every day at your left.
Very nice places like Viana do Castelo, Caminha ,A Guarda, Baiona, Vigo. Nothing boring. Lots to see.

The central route has more albergues along the route, so you could have fairly short day, however there are more uphills and downhills. On the coast it is flat from Porto to Esposende, an then afterwards you can always ignore the arrows and follow the roads on the coast which are very flat.
It depends on the injury, if you have knee problems, then avoid the central route. However hard surface on the roads are always tougher on the body than the trails.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
From Coimbra the central route leads to Porto.

There the route splits into a coastal caminho Portugues da Costa and leads all away to Redondela allmost with the ocean at your left side

But in Porto also leads the central route to São Pedro de Rates and on to Barcelos, Ponte de Lima and Valença do Minho to Redondela and on to Santiago.

Hi and welcome -

Regarding your question on whether it is possible to find accomodation when walking 5-10 km/day, you might take a look at a list I have compiled from several ressources - in it I have written the approximate distance between the accomodation (cities)

If you choose the coastal camino mentioned, you can see the accomodations here - https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/all-places-to-sleep-in-one-pdf-route-portugues-route-monacal-coastal.35534/

If you choose the central route mentioned, the cities from Porto to Redondela aren't in the list above, but you will have to find them elsewhere.

/Christian

You can now stay on the coast all the way to Vigo.
The way is freshly and well marked.
There are albergues or other reasonable accommodation at decent distances.
There is a new local guide available in the bookstores in Porto...I don't know the name of it but it was very good and accurate.

I leave on Saturday for Porto and this thread, and the forum, are making it difficult to choose whether or not to do the coastal or central route.

I am happy for two good options and make take inspiration after a first night on the coast whether to detour back to Rates.

I think from other threads I see the coastal is about 30 miles longer, which may be the deciding factor due to time constraints to lead me to the central.

At any rate, this forum has provided great information. Im sure it will be great either way. Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Bom dia dear pilgrims, I plan on returning to Portugal this summer, after walking the Salvador + Primitivo. I have a few questions: - What is the easiest way to get from SdC to Coimbra? I assume...
My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...
We are flying into Lisbon, then taking a train to Tomar for a couple nights, which looks pretty easy. What is less clear is the best way from Tomar to Porto. Have you done this? What do you...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back