• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Starting your Camino from Sevilla: Tips on Avoiding Urban Walks

Jo Jo

Time of past OR future Camino
Eight routes; nine pilgrimages 2014-present
I often do not enjoy walking into or out of major cities. Too urban. There are, of course, exceptions (Burgos come to mind; same with Pamplona). How is the walk out of Sevilla? If there is a long stretch of industrical/commercial (think Leon or Ponferrada on the CF) where should we go (taxi, bus, whatever) to to start walking? I appreciate some believe in the "every step" approach. I don't. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
If you stay in Triana the night before you’re on your way. Plus you can visit the Amigos office if it’s open. Very helpful people.

The area around Seville is flat and a bit lifeless. There is also a fast road through industrial units / retail sheds so if you don't want to spoil your memories of Seville and you should have lots, then take a bus or taxi to Italica and spend some of the time saved there. It's about 5 miles into your journey and you can also have lunch across the road as it takes some time to walk around.

Attachments

• IMG_2914.JPG
    IMG_2914.JPG
    5.9 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2915.JPG
    IMG_2915.JPG
    7.4 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2917.JPG
    IMG_2917.JPG
    6.7 MB · Views: 42
I often do not enjoy walking into or out of major cities. Too urban. There are, of course, exceptions (Burgos come to mind; same with Pamplona). How is the walk out of Sevilla? If there is a long stretch of industrical/commercial (think Leon or Ponferrada on the CF) where should we go (taxi, bus, whatever) to to start walking? I appreciate some believe in the "every step" approach. I don't. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
hey Jo Jo, the start of the plata out of Seville is nice, stay in the old quarter, not a long way to clear the city limits......

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I stayed in Triana where the camino can be picked up just across the bridge on the Triana side. When I rode the VDLP, I found the app mapy.cz most useful. Just download the maps for the sections of Spain you are traveling through. The Caminos are marked by a blue line. Very easy to follow. Nice gps feature showing you right where you are on (or off) the Camino. With this app, I found navigating through the cities a breeze.

I think Sevilla is one of the most attractive cities in Spain and even three days there is short on time before you start walking.
The earlier suggestion by Beef to bus to Italica is smart because the site is not to be missed, and you can spend the morning there and then walk on to your bed by late afternoon.

The traditional start after leaving Triana takes you through Camas and Santiponce. Personally I find them fascinating but there is an alternative path once you cross the pedestrian bridge below the Caixa tower which takes you along the river bank and is much more rural. If you want to skip it all them a taxi to the gates of Italica will cost you 15 euros or alternatively the 170 bus from Plaza des Armas will get you to Italica too. From there it is all country.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have taken the river route from the outskirts of Seville 3 times and liked it. Only this year I realised there is a new bridge that takes you over the river, make sure you keep the river on your right side. I had a senior moment when I realised I was on the wrong side and backtracked across the bridge.

5 years ago I stayed in Seville for 4 days while I waited for my lost bag to arrive. Thanks to recommendations and a little reading 3 of them were at the Triana Backpackers and they were so great to me. Leaving Seville I headed over to the Cathedral for one last photo and then followed the arrows out of town. I was at Santiponce before I knew it. I wouldn't skip any part of it especially if you were leaving in the early morning.

Unless strapped for time, which many seem to be, I find every ... inch part of the journey / pilgrimage rewarding.
- shortcuts are shortcuts, although sometimes necessary of course.

The delightful Meseta, the experience of the outskirts of Burgos, or was it Leon?
The struggle through ... , the long tarmac around ... .
Just walk is a choice. As well as just eat what's nearby, with a few treats of that fine Jamon north of Seville in a restaurant full of people in their Sunday best, and me in clean Camino clothes.
I wouldn't skip any part of it especially if you were leaving in the early morning.
Early morning can mask the occasional brutality of city outskirts,
and highlight the rural charm, and the Roman Aqueduct somewhere north of Seville (?) after a 4 am dark & cool start.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One reason for walking through the city is to partake of the lives of these people, our neighbors, and see how they live and how they make their living. We are not misanthropes and we enjoy interacting with their lives as we are all folks together.
Walking through the outskirts of Burgos(?) we got a beautiful picture of a flowering shrub, and had a nice coffee. But everyone is different.
BC

Peregrinos,

Having now done the trip, I need to report back. We walked out of Sevilla and it was a lovely walk. It takes virtually no time to get out of the city. Cathedral is about 10 minutes from a bridge to Triana (this is a lovely old town, not a suburban wasteland), quick walk across (maybe 20 minutes), another bridge, and then you turn and walk along the river past fields and grazing horses (and a two-horse team pulling a wagon!!) before turning and walking mostly gravel roads to Santiponce. Short 10K for the first day (since we started at 6pm--sightseeing. The Alcazar is out of this world).

So, even for those like us, who do not share the "every step approach," this is not a city to take transport out of. I appreciate all the disciples of that denomination who have attempted to convert me. I regret to report that you have failed, but such an approach is good advice for Sevilla (once you've walked out of Granada, we'll continue the broader discussion).

Buen Camino,
Jo Jo

I enjoyed the walk from the Cathedral - not the least getting used to finding the arrows! And passing the 1000 kilometres to Santiago marker next to the Avenida Expo 92 was special. Look for Monolito Camino de Santiago, 41010 Sevilla, Spain on google maps (although it was a little worn) I turned right after the bridge and took the rural route too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back