• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

walking part of the camino frances and staying in hotels....

lex4

Time of past OR future Camino
and not carrying my pack. Will I be excluded and looked down on by 'proper' pilgrims? I hope not, I would love to enjoy the atmosphere and spirit of the walk but this is all new to me and I'm not confident about staying in albergues and managing pack and heat etc...any thoughts?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Go for it. Your Camino, your way. You will still need a day pack for water, wet gear etc and also proper boots/shoes for the walk.

lex4 said:
and not carrying my pack. Will I be excluded and looked down on by 'proper' pilgrims? I hope not, I would love to enjoy the atmosphere and spirit of the walk but this is all new to me and I'm not confident about staying in albergues and managing pack and heat etc...any thoughts?

lex4,

As wayfarer writes "Go for it" ! Remember this is YOUR camino! Your path is made by your feet; there is no single way. We pilgrims may share our journeys, hopes and fears, but in no sense do we move as a single force! Each of us creates a particular pattern moving along. Thus the Camino is composed of all these pilgrims' patterns; the multitude of these individual journeys across time and space together form the whole.

For additional comments regarding the many ways to enjoy the extraordinary atmosphere and spirit of the Camino read this recent Forum thread >> el-camino-frances/topic18759.html#p138610

What matters is to DO IT!

Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks so much guys. I'm all booked up and really looking forward to it and it helps to know people are supportive of whatever way I chose to do it. Thanks again.

I am on the camino at the moment. I have stayed in hotels or pensions every night and have had my bag transported every day. I had the same apprehensions about being judged, but I have not experienced judgement from anyone. I am surprised at the number of people who are staying in private accommodation and having their bags transported. Many, many people, some have done it all the way from SJPDP. So don't worry, it is your camino ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Kiwiangela said:
I am on the camino at the moment. I have stayed in hotels or pensions every night and have had my bag transported every day. I had the same apprehensions about being judged, but I have not experienced judgement from anyone. I am surprised at the number of people who are staying in private accommodation and having their bags transported. Many, many people, some have done it all the way from SJPDP. So don't worry, it is your camino ;)

Hi, thanks so much for that. I hope you've had/having a great time on your camino! Looking forward to 1 July.
A

Along the various routes on the Camino de Santiago, many churches and albergues used to provide the pilgrims with help to carry/transport their baggage on to the next stop. Since many pilgrims used to walk the way BACK, they would help pilgrims on their return trip as well. Likewise, pilgrims with means would be frown upon if they took a bed on one of the church shelters (albergues).

Walk your Camino. Whoever judges pilgrims who stay at private accomodations and transport baggage lacks knowledge on the Camino's history.....really.

Olivares said:
Along the various routes on the Camino de Santiago, many churches and albergues used to provide the pilgrims with help to carry/transport their baggage on to the next stop. Since many pilgrims used to walk the way BACK, they would help pilgrims on their return trip as well. Likewise, pilgrims with means would be frown upon if they took a bed on one of the church shelters (albergues).

Walk your Camino. Whoever judges pilgrims who stay at private accomodations and transport baggage lacks knowledge on the Camino's history.....really.

Thank you! It's good to have a bit of hisorical knowledge I can throw back if given any cheek! ;) (sure most people will be fine though)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Kiwiangela said:
I am surprised at the number of people who are staying in private accommodation and having their bags transported. Many, many people, some have done it all the way from SJPDP."quote]

Given the current economic situation in Spain, pilgrims transporting and staying at hotels are a BLESSING!!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I am travelling in Sept- Oct........ I also was having thoughts about other peoples thoughts about what I would be ...... hahahahah etc etc .... then I realized I dont even know any of these people so why do i worry...

I plan to be flexible but will most likely be staying at hotels etc.... so thanks for the comments..... I wish my mind to be free of the judgements of others..... doing my own thing helps me ....

I hope to NOt book ahead after Orisson ... but just to stay in hotels I come across as days pass... hoping that works... I will not sleep at all if I am in a crowded room :)

Do most people find they have to book ahead.... ? I want to walk at my own pace each day so do not know where i will be each day.. so would rather not book ahead to far

Annie

Annie Little said:
I am travelling in Sept- Oct........ I also was having thoughts about other peoples thoughts about what I would be ...... hahahahah etc etc .... then I realized I dont even know any of these people so why do i worry...

I plan to be flexible but will most likely be staying at hotels etc.... so thanks for the comments..... I wish my mind to be free of the judgements of others..... doing my own thing helps me ....

I hope to NOt book ahead after Orisson ... but just to stay in hotels I come across as days pass... hoping that works... I will not sleep at all if I am in a crowded room :)

Do most people find they have to book ahead.... ? I want to walk at my own pace each day so do not know where i will be each day.. so would rather not book ahead to far

Annie
Hola Annie,
Lots and lots of pilgrims book and stay in hotels/pensions/hostals ect. So don't even think about what others think. We've walked twice, predominantly using this style of accommodation, during the day you will still meet and develop friendships with people doing it both ways. You’ll walk together, eat together, you’ll just sleep in your own room with your own shower ect.
Regarding booking ahead, I think it’s just a personal choice. Helen, my wife, likes to know where she is staying that night, but she likes that even if we’re on a driving holiday, so we call and book ahead, but that’s the way we enjoy it the most.
Just do it the way you think you’ll enjoy it the most.
Buen Camino
Colin

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Annie Little said:

Annie

Hey Annie

Still on the camino and loving it. In answer to your question definitely just get a good guide book and see where you feel like stopping,its no trouble to book when you get into a town. I wanted to move on today but couldnt because Id booked and they wouldnt let me cancel. Also you can decide on the day if you feel like a bit of luxury or not. You do find people who want to give you a bit of a hard time about not "doing it all" but theyre usually not the type Ive wanted to hang around with a anyway. Met lots of great folk who dont judge and people doing lots of different variations.

Enjoy. Ill be back next year doing it with no prior booking involved.

Lex

Lex thank-you I appreciate your response... funny that I have met some people at "home" who have done Camino and tell me ... well """ they""" do not look kindly on those who stay in hotels.... hahahah who are """ they"""" I do NOT know them.... do not NOT care... I intend to do my own thing :)

Thanks for your input

Annie X

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
To Annie Little and her thought not to book in advance: for the last 100 km it might be recommendable to book hostals, casa rurales or hotels in advance, especially during May-July....camino francés is very crowded in this season...
Buen Camino!

Hi All
Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels... I am just having a look. There is an albergue at
villatuerta called Magica which looks really interesting ... after Pamplona I think ... has anyone stayed there ??

Cheers
Annie

Annie Little said:
Hi All
Does anyone have any recommendations for hotels... I am just having a look. There is an albergue at
villatuerta called Magica which looks really interesting ... after Pamplona I think ... has anyone stayed there ??

Cheers
Annie

Annie,

For the private pilgrim Albergue Casa Magica in Villatuerta see this entry in Ivar's list and the comments at the bottom of the entry page. >> http://www.caminodesantiago.me/camino-f ... llatuerta/. Here is their web >> http://alberguevillatuerta.com/

I have stayed there twice and loved it!

Happy planning and Buen Camino,

Margaret Meredith

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Your camino, who knows where you sleep , I never book ahead except sjpdep on first night, stay in mostly private albergues, who are others to judge, " He who is without sin cast the first stone " the alberge in villatuerta is lovely and no need to book ahead , 3 km before estella, alternative route to Los Arcos also an option and route through luquin a lovely route but take food , Buen camino

Hey Lex! Enjoy your Camino in your own way, be mindful of others needs and smile a lot! If I were EVER (and I wont!) to be doing another Camino I would certainly take the option of having my luggage trucked ahead and carrying a daypack, as well as having hotels all booked in advance. I am lucky, I am able to afford to do it that way. One of the things that peed me off about SOME "proper pilgrims" was the inverted snobbery shown toward folk like my wife and I in our chosen manner of doing the pilgrimage. Remember the words; "judge not.....lest ye be judged"
BUEN CAMINO!!!!

Dave x :D

I will probably stay in hotels most of the way....I need my sleep in order to walk..... but also I still have a job ( many in Spain do not ) so I see it as helping others to sustain their economy if those who can afford to pay then do......

The struggles of the Camino ... are as much of the mind as of the physical... as I have said before All of Life is the Camino... thats what I think anyway

Annie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back