• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking partner sought for Mozarabe from Málaga to Mérida

Magwood

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
See signature line for links to daily posts to blogs from many caminos
My friend Marilyn from South Africa wishes to walk the Mozarabe from Malaga, but is rightly concerned that she will have a very lonely pilgrimage. I walked this route last year and was very lucky to find a walking partner on this forum. During eighteen days it took us to reach Mérida on the VdlP we saw only one group of three pilgrims very briefly at the point of joining with the route from Granada.

Is there anyone out there thinking of walking this route or wishing for a more solitary Camino without wishing to be entirely alone? Last year we often walked our own pace during the day but it was very reassuring to know there was someone not too far away and to have company in the evenings.

My friend is thinking of setting out from Malaga on 13 April this year. I can highly recommend this route and if you would like more information you are welcome to read my blog - where I posted every day from the Camino.
http:/www/magwood.me/camino-mozarabe/ or take a look at my (rather long) video showing the beauty of this trail

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
My friend Marilyn from South Africa wishes to walk the Mozarabe from Malaga, but is rightly concerned that she will have a very lonely pilgrimage. I walked this route last year and was very lucky to find a walking partner on this forum. During eighteen days it took us to reach Mérida on the VdlP we saw only one group of three pilgrims very briefly at the point of joining with the route from Granada.

Is there anyone out there thinking of walking this route or wishing for a more solitary Camino without wishing to be entirely alone? Last year we often walked our own pace during the day but it was very reassuring to know there was someone not too far away and to have company in the evenings.

My friend is thinking of setting out from Malaga on 13 April this year. I can highly recommend this route and if you would like more information you are welcome to read my blog - where I posted every day from the Camino.
http:/www/magwood.me/camino-mozarabe/ or take a look at my (rather long) video showing the beauty of this trail
Sorry Maggie, I'm already committed to the French Way with friend Craig at that time. Care to join us?

Hi Maggie I am back on line yay- hopefully there will be someone who would still like to walk from Malaga - thank you for your help

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My plan is to start on 2 April from Almeria. It will take about 14 days to reach Baena where the route with Malaga joins. I am afraid I will be too early for your friend.

My plan is to start on 2 April from Almeria. It will take about 14 days to reach Baena where the route with Malaga joins. I am afraid I will be too early for your friend.

Thanks for your response and Buen Camino.

Well I have decided to 'just do it' and booked and paid for my ticket to Madrid - leave Cape Town on 12 April so arrive 13th and hopefully leave on my long lonely road from Malaga on the 14. Can anyone help me out with best mode of transport to Malaga besides flying - last time I took fast train to Sevilla - can I do the same? Thanks in anticipation

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Very intrepid Marilyn. I hope you come across other pilgrims on your journey. You could contact the Malaga amigos and ask if they know if anyone will be walking at the same time. When I visited to get my passport last year there were 6 or 8 others there for the same reason. But the office is only open for two hours once a week so everyone has to go at the same time.

There is a fast train from Madrid to Malaga, just 2 hours and 20 minutes. I guess there will also be a slower, cheaper train.

I will look out some of the information I used in lieu of a guide book and send it to you and post it here so it may help others.

Keep in touch.
Maggie

Very intrepid Marilyn. I hope you come across other pilgrims on your journey. You could contact the Malaga amigos and ask if they know if anyone will be walking at the same time. When I visited to get my passport last year there were 6 or 8 others there for the same reason. But the office is only open for two hours once a week so everyone has to go at the same time.

There is a fast train from Madrid to Malaga, just 2 hours and 20 minutes. I guess there will also be a slower, cheaper train.

I will look out some of the information I used in lieu of a guide book and send it to you and post it here so it may help others.

Keep in touch.
Maggie
Seems we are both burning the midnight oil! Hi Maggie thanks for your super quick reply - and all the information - how do you contact the Malaga amigos? I remember buying my ticket at the airport I suppose I can do the same again - it is almost impossible to book on line and they were very helpful last time round. Have you any idea how long the slow train takes. I have made notes from your fab blog but can't seem to find any decent maps ( wonder if I could even follow them) haha - will send you an email during the week - take care an once again muchos gracias

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi Marilyn, printable maps at "the walking pilgrim " site. I was Maggies walking partner last year, I think we were both surprised how well the route was marked. There are also GPS tracks of the Mozarabe on Wikiloc.
Regards
George

Hi Marilyn, printable maps at "the walking pilgrim " site. I was Maggies walking partner last year, I think we were both surprised how well the route was marked.
Regards
George
Hi George so enjoyed following yours and Maggie's camino last year - thus the inspiration to follow in your footsteps this year. I am glad to hear the route is well marked - dread getting lost on my own ( no one to blame for wrong directions) thank you for the info on printable maps - will certainly follow up on that one
In friendship

Hi @george.g - lovely to 'hear' your voice. Do you have Camino plans for this year?

I'm going to join Marilyn on her first day, but unfortunately can't do any more. It would be great if she could meet up with other pilgrims in the early days.

Buen Camino, Super George!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Maggie, This year its Camino Augusta Cadiz to Seville, then theVia de la Plata north to the Sanabres, (your pictures from last year decided me) then along that to Santiago and Finnisterre.
Do you remember the note in the albergue book in (I think Almogia) "This albergue saved my life! just spent 10 hours wandering lost on El Torcal"
So it would be a good idea for Marilyn to be ultra careful on that etapa.
Regards
George
PS just checked it wasn't Almogia it was Villanueva de la Concepcion.

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Maggie, This year its Camino Augusta Cadiz to Seville, then theVia de la Plata north to the Sanabres, (your pictures from last year decided me) then along that to Santiago and Finnisterre.
Do you remember the note in the albergue book in (I think Almogia) "This albergue saved my life! just spent 10 hours wandering lost on El Torcal"
Regards
George
Hi George - can you recommend accommodation in Malaga thanks

Hi Marilyn, I booked a room in the "Residencia Universitaria San Jose" in the old town, nothing special, but it was near the Piccaso museum and the church of Santiago, which was open in the afternoon for my first sello.
Regards
George

Regards
George

El Torcal is the huge climb and descent before Antequera. Do you remember we spent ages looking for an arrow in the long grass in the fog? It is certainly easier when there are two of you to scout for the signs.

Another long Camino for you this year. When are you setting off? Maybe we could meet up again in Santiago.

Many thanks for t
Hi Marilyn, I booked a room in the "Residencia Universitaria San Jose" in the old town, nothing special, but it was near the Piccaso museum and the church of Santiago, which was open in the afternoon for my first sello.
Regards
George[/QUOTE
Many thanks for this George - I am going to check it out now - when do you plan on getting to Santiago?

El Torcal is the huge climb and descent before Antequera. Do you remember we spent ages looking for an arrow in the long grass in the fog? It is certainly easier when there are two of you to scout for the signs.

Another long Camino for you this year. When are you setting off? Maybe we could meet up again in Santiago.
Oh dear Maggie I will have to be extra super alert - you will have to tell me exactly where this spot is - is there a cross road at this point?

Thanks once again George - I have done my reservation - I certainly
Ike it's close proximity to Cathedral and to Picasso museum which I really hope to visit.
Buen camino

Hi Maggie I will be in Santiago on the 20th and 26th of May hope we can meet up, going to walk to Finnisterre and back with my grandson who wanted to get a little of the camino experiance.
Hi Marilyn, sorry if I've scared you with the lost on El Torcal thing, but if you go onto The walking pilgrim site, find the Camino Mozarabe Malaga, download Villanueva-Antequera as an Earth file zoom in, follow the surfaced road/camino track untill the camino leaves the surfaced road by a building to the right 36 56 20 N 4 34 46 W, thats where it took us a little while to find an arrow, it was on a large stone in long grass.
Don't forget to get your first stamp in the church of Santiago in Malaga.
On camino we found the best place to get the directions/ key for the albergues was often the "policia local" office.
Best regards
George

Hi Maggie I will be in Santiago on the 20th and 26th of May hope we can meet up, going to walk to Finnisterre and back with my grandson who wanted to get a little of the camino experiance.
Hi Marilyn, sorry if I've scared you with the lost on El Torcal thing, but if you go onto The walking pilgrim site, find the Camino Mozarabe Malaga, download Villanueva-Antequera as an Earth file zoom in, follow the surfaced road/camino track untill the camino leaves the surfaced road by a building to the right 36 56 20 N 4 34 46 W, thats where it took us a little while to find an arrow, it was on a large stone in long grass.
Don't forget to get your first stamp in the church of Santiago in Malaga.
On camino we found the best place to get the directions/ key for the albergues was often the "policia local" office.
Best regards
George
Hi George - I have tried opening up this site and can get as far as "download Villanueva etc and then it says this site may close in spring - have you been able to open it recently" . Maybe I am doing something wrong will try again later - but many thanks for this info - it has all been noted in my little black book
Best regards and in friendship
Marilyn

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Marilyn, The walking pilgrim site still works (just checked) go to the site click "modern routes" then "alphabetical list" then find Camino Mozarabe Malaga open the file find Villanuvea - Antequera, click kml dump, the file then should download (bottom left on my screen) click to open, the file should open in "earth" zoom in to the co ordinates.
Regards
George

Anyhow, it seems that warm clothes are needed for who walks now in Spain.

Link in Dutch, so Marilyn possibly can read it.

http://nos.nl/artikel/2089869-82-wandelaars-in-spanje-gered-uit-ingesneeuwd-bergstation.html

I also saw that the amigos from Almeria give a snow warning for the last two stages before Granada. I guess it will be gone in April.
Thank you Carel for this - I could read most of it and got the gist of the story - I do hope that the snow will be long gone by the 14 April . This time round I am going to be more prepared for cold weather should it hit like last time I was on the VDLP.
Buen camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Marilyn, The walking pilgrim site still works (just checked) go to the site click "modern routes" then "alphabetical list" then find Camino Mozarabe Malaga open the file find Villanuvea - Antequera, click kml dump, the file then should download (bottom left on my screen) click to open, the file should open in "earth" zoom in to the co ordinates.
Regards
George
Will give it another try now - ooh so hard when you are technically challenged like me - but hey I am learning more every day
Many thanks and much appreciated

@george.g - have just finalised my walking plan and if all goes according to plan 'A', I will arrive in Santiago on 26 May, so we could meet up. Wouldn't that be great!

Hi Maggie,
It would be great to meet up again, I will be in Santiago on the 20th May the plan is to meet my grandson at the airport and then next day start an out and back walk to Finnisterre, returning in the afternoon of the 26th. So I'll keep my fingers crossed for both of us! If you are going to do another great blogg perhaps I could keep an eye on your progress.
Where are you walking this year?
Best regards
George

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Where are you walking this year? George

I'm starting on el Norte at Irun, walking to Ribadeo, then taking the Ruta del Mar to link up with the Camino Ingles at Ferrol. That is plan 'A' !

And according to plan A, I will reach Santiago on 26 May. I will be writing my blog again. I will send you a pm with my phone number.

Buen camino Amigo!

Hi Maggie I am back on line yay- hopefully there will be someone who would still like to walk from Malaga - thank you for your help

Hi Marilyn,

..did you end up walkin from Malaga? I am thinking about walking/cycling the Camino Mozarabe from Malaga to Cordoba in a couple of weeks (I'll have 7 days) and wondered if you had information/links that could help me.

I really need to know about Albergues/Refugios (or really cheap accommodation) along the way, as I'm on a very tight budget.

Could you tell me where I could collect a credential in Malaga. I saw something about a place that's open for two hours, two days a week..? Could you please clarify.

Do you think it is possible to travel the route on a bike? 2 weeks ago I completed the Camino Francais (along the walking route) on a mountain bike. I had to push my bike a lot of the time, but it was ok. - does anyone know what the hills are like compared to the Camino Francais?

Thanks in advance.

Buen Camino

Nat

Hi Marilyn,

..did you end up walkin from Malaga? I am thinking about walking/cycling the Camino Mozarabe from Malaga to Cordoba in a couple of weeks (I'll have 7 days) and wondered if you had information/links that could help me.

I really need to know about Albergues/Refugios (or really cheap accommodation) along the way, as I'm on a very tight budget.

Could you tell me where I could collect a credential in Malaga. I saw something about a place that's open for two hours, two days a week..? Could you please clarify.

Do you think it is possible to travel the route on a bike? 2 weeks ago I completed the Camino Francais (along the walking route) on a mountain bike. I had to push my bike a lot of the time, but it was ok. - does anyone know what the hills are like compared to the Camino Francais?

Thanks in advance.

Buen Camino

Nat

Hi Nat
I can tell you Marilyn finished her Camino yesterday. I'm not sure if she will see your message before she returns home at the weekend. I walked from Malaga last year. You might like to take a look at my blog - I posted every day live from the Camino, mentioning elevation, accommodation and stage distances. I will also look out the other information I used, but don't have time right now. If you read my blog and ask specific questions as they arise I will give you any information can.
https://magwood.me/camino-mozarabe/

Hi Natalie.

In this forum I wrote a topic called Info on the Camino Mozarabe from Almeria, with information also on the places where I slept.
The second part after Baena can be useful for people walking from Malaga.
I stayed in albergues in Cerro Muriano, Castuera and Campanario, but I know there are more of them along the route, thought not in all towns along the camino.

Buen camino

Carel

Most read last week in this forum

Hi folks does anyone know the status of the albergue in Dona Mancia on the Malaga/Cordoba route? I have just returned fron completing the route when I arrived in Dona Mancia I expected there would...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back