• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking partner

Maelys

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning for Camino Frances
Hello everyone,

Planning for my first Camino from May to July. I will be arriving from Canada to Nantes and then will take the train /plane to Bayonne. (Not sure which one is better at this point). I am planning on going from Saint-Jean Pied de Port to Santiago, I am giving myself between 5- 6 weeks. First time, feel a bit unsecure and at this point I am looking for a walking partner interested in doing the CF with me partially or completely. 5-6 weeks for the Camino Frances, is it reasonable?

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Welcome on the forum, in 2 weeks at this time I will be over the Atlantic flying from Montreal to Paris. I am giving myself a 50 days window to walk the CF until Muxia.😊maybe…it’s nice to have time to choose to pause, breath and smile, to rest to visit, to write, to get in touch with whatever inside needs to be heard. To have a walking partner it’s not a big deal,, right the first night in the albergue you will meet plenty people, as we say « the camino provide »
I would suggest that the best walking partner if you choose to do so, is yourself
Buen Camino

It's not a good idea to set up a walking partner in advance. Never mind the personal aspect, neither of you know what your natural daily distance will be. Going fast to keep up is a recipe for injury, and going too slow is an exercise in frustration.

That time of year you have no chance of being alone unless you want to. Several hundred of you will set off that same morning. Over the next few days, you will sort yourselves out into a cohort moving about the same speed. Friendships are easy on the Camino, not to worry. Some of the people you left sjpp with will walk into Santiago with you. You just don't know who they are yet.

Buen Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello, and welcome to the forum!

@Rick M summarized the situation very well above. Most people find that it is not a great idea to pick a random walking partner before you start! On Days 1, 2, 3... 40, you will have hundreds to pick from, with no commitment needed.

Just get yourself to SJPP and you will be all set.

Hello Maelys -- yes, 5-6 weeks is quite reasonable. We did it in 2013. Started on 16 April and finished on 20 May.
As for a walking partner, may I suggest that you check out the prospects in person.
We stopped at Orisson for our first night out. The owners had a pretty full house. It was our first communal dinner. We were invited to stand one-by-one, and to introduce ourselves to everyone in the room - name, nationality, and a bit about ourselves. Not daunting at all really - everyone was so friendly.

In fact we met people that night (and others, on subsequent, similar nights) who became firm friends. Our paths would cross from time to time on the track - as the fast fell behind and the slow gained speed!

Finally we all met in Santiago. It became quite the thing: word would get around that so-and-so was about to arrive; we would contact all those we knew; and then we met to give a boisterous welcome to the new arrival in the square before the cathedral (of course that only lasted for the couple of days after we arrived).
The point of this is that you will meet one or more congenial people early on. At St Jean PdP, at Orrison, at Roncavalles, and even after that. You'll naturally find the companion who suits you - and no doubt more than one.
all the best - I hope you love the experience. I met a great bloke - Slavic, from the Ukraine. We haven't met since although we have kept in touch when we were in France or Spain, as he traversed other routes and reported on them to us, and we gave him a heads up on the terrain we were experiencing. I hunted for him in Santiago after our arrival for two days - and then, outside a bar (not surprising) I heard this roar! and there he was ........ pic below. Slavic is the younger one ....DSCF2676-3.jpg
Our emails aren't getting through ....
Dan

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What everyone else said... The time you have allotted is very realistic. You will meet people during the first several days who you will never see again. Injury, walking speed, inadequate time allotted, will see many people realize in the early days they will need to hop on busses, skip the Meseta, etc. Just start out. Meet people. Meet new people. Meet more new people. Over time you will keep running into some of the same people. Or you may find it is toward the end you meet those you will keep seeing day after day. Keep it fluid. Looking too early for someone to journey with may set you both up for disappointment. Enjoy every second!

Don't worry about being alone on the Camino. There are lots of pilgrims en route and its impossible to get lost. Enjoy walking at your own pace!

Hi Maelys!
You wont need a partner to walk with!
You will meet people on the way; i started my Camino from my accommodation and in about 800 metres was having a chat with a lovely pilgrim from France!
My Camino was full of great people from all over the world some shared the walk for a while others Buen Caminoed and walked on!
It was a wonderful time.
You have the option when traveling alone for; solitude or to seek companionship.

With a walking partner i think there are so many things that can effect how the walk is for you!

Not quite the same as walking with a pilgrim you decided to buddy up with as you can part ways without any issues! But below are the problems i think could arise when walking with someone you know!!!!

I have family members who want to walk with me next time and part of my emotional brain says yes, what a great experience to share!
The other part of me knows it will take away the freedom of walking alone; it will become their walk because i know me and will fret the whole time about them.
ARE they tired,bored, hurting is the food OK is the accommodation OK ect.
Each negative would deflate me and the walk would become a trial !
Woody

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello everyone,

Planning for my first Camino from May to July. I will be arriving from Canada to Nantes and then will take the train /plane to Bayonne. (Not sure which one is better at this point). I am planning on going from Saint-Jean Pied de Port to Santiago, I am giving myself between 5- 6 weeks. First time, feel a bit unsecure and at this point I am looking for a walking partner interested in doing the CF with me partially or completely. 5-6 weeks for the Camino Frances, is it reasonable?

Thanks
You will someone! Probably the minute you leave the airport! 😎

Hello everyone,

Thanks
First of all welcome .
You be leaving at the time of year when the trail to Santiago will start to get busy and ideally it would be nice if you got to know someone on the forum who happens to be hiking the trail at the same time ..however one important thing to remember is to Hike the Hike meaning go at your own pace , don't try to keep up with anyone else or you more than likely have both physical and mental issues to deal with somewhere along the route, my pace is 5km an hour and I won't pick up the pace to stay in touch with someone who is quicker .its all about pacing yourself and enjoying it even if there are times you start having negative thoughts think what the real meaning of the camino is all about ..saying that I am sure there will be someone who you will come across where both of you can encourage eachother along the route and have a good laugh at the same time ..
Buen Camino

Hello everyone,

Thanks
My husband and I will be walking the Camino starting in May as well. I completed my first Camino in 2017 St. Jean to Santiago. I started with a partner and we walked together more than half of the time but other times she had to bus it because of her feet. We did what was comfortable for us most days and spent at least two days in Pamplona, Burgos, Leon, Astorga and Ponferada. My 76 year old husband and I will be starting in St. Jean and plan to walk all the way to Santiago. Because my husband isn’t sure how he is going to progress daily we have given ourselves all the time we need, up to 90 days. However, I think it will probably take us somewhere between 65 and 75 days. This is fine with me because I love to walk, meet new people, and I really want to see more of each town I walk through and stay in. Buen Camino.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When I did my first one and felt like you did, I just found someone leaving on the same day. We arranged to meet that first morning as she had walked before. She kindly showed me the basics and then after the second day we parted company. If you join the camigas Facebook page for women there is a spread sheet where everyone puts their details. You can see who is starting from any city and what country they are from. Then just sent them a Facebook message. Buen Camino!

It's not a good idea to set up a walking partner in advance. Never mind the personal aspect, neither of you know what your natural daily distance will be. Going fast to keep up is a recipe for injury, and going too slow is an exercise in frustration.
I echo what Rick and others have said. There will be more pilgrims around than you can shake your hiking poles at. It is way more important to walk your own camino, learn what your own pace and rhythm is and how far you are comfortable to walk. Walking to fast can cause injury and major fatigue and walking to slow can also make you more tired and take you out of your natural pace. Also what if you want to walk 25k a day and your "partner" wants to walk 30 or more or 20 or less. You open yourself up to painful blisters and more importantly injury that could be with you to ruin your camino and possibly be lasting for a lifetime.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
5 to 6 weeks is more than enough time. At 70 years old, 5 years ago, I walked from SJPdP to SdC in 33 days. I was never alone and met many great people, a few with whom I still maintain contact. Except for 1 day, I never walked with anyone for more than 30 to 45 minutes at a time. I did see a lot of the same people in the evening and had a lot of social time with many. I enjoyed walking alone and I enjoyed talking, eating, and exploring with my new friends. I was free to walk as fast or as slow as I wanted, go where I wanted, and see the things that I wanted to see. I did this without giving up the chance to spend as much time as I wanted with any of the people that I met. I have heard tales of those that felt obligated to stay with a group and missed some of the freedom that I had. My camino was filled with freedom and joy. Your camino should be exactly what you want it to be. If that is walking alone, walking in a small group, or walking in a large "camino family", it should be that way because you choose for it to be that way. Buen Camino.

PS I am working on getting an assignment to serve as a volunteer Hospitalero
in May or June. Maybe our paths will cross. Buen Camino.

Hello everyone,

Thanks
Go alone. U will only be alone the 1st day. 5 to 6 weeks is ample time to smell the flowers. Bon camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hello everyone,

Thanks
I totally understand your reservations about walking the Camino solo, especially in the early days. As others have indicated, there will be lots of people on the trail so you will probably never be truly alone. You will meet and walk with many amazing fellow pilgrims. What day are you planning to start from St. Jean? Have you made reservations at least for the first few days?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Welcome on the forum, in 2 weeks at this time I will be over the Atlantic flying from Montreal to Paris. I am giving myself a 50 days window to walk the CF until Muxia.😊maybe…it’s nice to have time to choose to pause, breath and smile, to rest to visit, to write, to get in touch with whatever inside needs to be heard. To have a walking partner it’s not a big deal,, right the first night in the albergue you will meet plenty people, as we say « the camino provide »
I would suggest that the best walking partner if you choose to do so, is yourself
Buen Camino
Do not be afraid of starting on your own. You are never alone. You will meet so many walking partners as you go. And you can go at your own pace, stop and start to your own needs. I went on my own aged 69, and I always had company when I wanted it, and not when I didn’t!!

Hello everyone,

Thanks
Looking for walking partner for SJPDP to Santiago 5/2023

Looking for walking partner for SJPDP to Santiago 5/2023
You didn’t ask for my opinion, but I will give it anyway. If you are walking from SJPP in May, you will be with many many others. It really makes little sense, IMHO, to set up a “walking partnership“ with someone you have never met. You have no idea about walking preferences, speeds, etc. Starting in SJPP in May, you will fall in naturally with others and see how it goes. If you are worried about walking alone, be sure that in May, you will not be alone!

Hello everyone,

Thanks
Different strokes for different folks. I always favor the "solo" style of doing the camino due to the freedom that it allows. You hike at your pace and owe nothing to no one. You'll always bump into people that you can walk a certain amount with. If you hit it off, great. If not, no worries. Buen camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello everyone,

Thanks
would love to talk to you- looking for a walking partner May 2023- SJPDP to Santiago

would love to talk to you- looking for a walking partner May 2023- SJPDP to Santiago
In general, I agree with Peregrina2000's advice above.

That said, if you really do want to find a partner, sight unseen, before you start, it might help to provide some information about yourself and what you are looking for. How far do you like to walk each day? When do you like to start? 5:00am? 7:00am? Some other time? Do you like to stop often for photos or at every bar you pass by or do you like to get a walking rhythm and just keep on walking? Do you like to walk in silence or conversation?

Exploring these types of things and not just a start date can help arrange a walking partnership that will last.

Most read last week in this forum

I have been incredibly inspired by so many stories of loss, pain, diagnosis, or other stories that tug at my heart strings, but one pilgrim, since lost in the threads here, was an 83 year old man...
I started my training walks last fall in preparation for the camino frances this year. This included walking in the mall in bad winter weather (ugh!). My husband was undecided about joining me...
In the Guardian. Interesting "Letters to the Editor..." https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2024/apr/18/a-modern-pilgrimages-transformative-power?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back