• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking poles and Qatar Airlines

Aysen Mustafa

Time of past OR future Camino
I am flying with Qatar Airlines and I don't think I can carry my walking poles in the plane. I just checked their rules and walking sticks are ok, but walking poles were excluded. Does anybody have recent experience. I can't fold and place mine in my luggage.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Although I’m not one of them, some people are reticent to check in their backpack on the off-chance that it may go astray in transit. While it’s a very low probability of happening, baggage does go astray every day....
So another way (assuming that the backpack meets the size requirements for carry-on), would be to carry on the backpack, and just check the poles (in a sturdy postal tube or similar).

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would agree with checking your poles and trying to carry your backpack. Are you going through Doha? They take security seriously. Even after you go through security you often have to go through a 2nd screening, xrays, bag check, questions, etc., to get into your boarding gate.

You need to balance the cost of buying new poles in France with that of putting them through as luggage on the flight. For example I am going to buy new ones at St Jean Pied de Port. You can get a good set of poles for about €20, however, a checked-in bag on Ryanair (and most low-cost airlines) is €25.

Buen Camino

Tony

A good set of poles for 20 euros is very cheap. I might just buy a new pair in France. Checking in luggage means I will have to leave my pocket knife at home but I suppose I could pick one up cheaply in France as well.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I would agree with checking your poles and trying to carry your backpack. Are you going through Doha? They take security seriously. Even after you go through security you often have to go through a 2nd screening, xrays, bag check, questions, etc., to get into your boarding gate.
Yes flying through Doha.

A good set of poles for 20 euros is very cheap. I might just buy a new pair in France. Checking in luggage means I will have to leave my pocket knife at home but I suppose I could pick one up cheaply in France as well.
Folded knives are not peremitted, whatever. But others with a blade up to 60 mm are ok. Enough for cheese, tomatoes and als

.... and also bread!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am flying with Qatar Airlines and I don't think I can carry my walking poles in the plane. I just checked their rules and walking sticks are ok, but walking poles were excluded. Does anybody have recent experience. I can't fold and place mine in my luggage.
I flew home to the US two years ago, and the airlines (can’t remember which one) wouldn’t let me check my poles, even though they were securely strapped to my backpack. Then security wouldn’t let me carry them on because they have metal tips under the rubber covers. Baggage check wanted me to pay to ship the poles as if I were checking 2 bags. I fought long and hard to get that charge dismissed, but it was eventually. Just know before you go if your poles have. Teal tips that may not be allowed on board as a carry on.

Mine have metal tips and I was planning on buying rubber covers to deaden the clacking noise. Last year I flew to NZ on Jetstar and was able to check them in on the way over but not on the way back.

Are these hiking poles for 20 euros, the lightweight ones and foldable?

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Although I’m not one of them, some people are reticent to check in their backpack on the off-chance that it may go astray in transit. While it’s a very low probability of happening, baggage does go astray every day....
So another way (assuming that the backpack meets the size requirements for carry-on), would be to carry on the backpack, and just check the poles (in a sturdy postal tube or similar).
I did exactly this last year. Checked my poles (and some toiletries) in a yoga mat bag wrapped in plastic - it looked like I was checking in withFred Flintstone’s dinner! Qatar marked it “fragile” so it came offthe plane in Paris before I did, and waiting for me when I arrived in baggage claim. No muss, no fuss. 06215045-5C54-478B-B920-A86775168698.jpeg

Are these hiking poles for 20 euros, the lightweight ones and foldable?

I bought poles in Pamplona, I think they were about 40€ for the pair. They are the telescoping kind, not foldable, and while fairly lightweight, definitely heavier than the high quality Black Diamond and/or Pacer poles others used. The salesman told me these were by no means the least expensive, but certainly not top of the line, either. I think foldable, very lightweight poles would cost quite a bit more. In the U.S. they are over $100 USD.

If you haven't yet been through Doha, the airport is great and Qatar Airways has an excellent reputation. But the airport security is interesting, with that extra screening at the boarding gate. I had a bottle of water that I'd filled from a fountain -- after I went through the first round of security. They wouldn't let it into the gate area. But I wasn't allowed to throw it out, either. I had to drink it in front of the security officer. Make of that what you will.

With that in mind, I'm thinking that even if poles made it through the first round, they might not make it through the 2nd. Best to check them, or buy them in Spain. Good luck whatever you decide.

Thank you Bala, I think it best I leave my hiking poles home and buy a pair in Europe. I wonder whether the Doha security were wondering whether by drinking all that water you would die from some sort of poisoning, or that they suspected alcohol.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Haha! If I'd chugged 16 ounces of vodka like that I might have exploded right at the boarding gate. :eek: If I didn't drop over dead drunk first. o_O ;)

Smart move with the poles. Shouldn't be a problem finding just what you want in Spain.

Buen Camino!

Qatar allowed my walking poles on board - no problem. Sydney to Madrid. May 2019.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Qatar allowed my walking poles on board - no problem. Sydney to Madrid. May 2019.

There is not much consistancy then, because we flew Sydney to Madrid just one month ago (April 2019) and they said poles had to be dispatched! o_O
Ours were travelling inside the suitcase anyway, but it was the first time we flew Qatar, so we were curious about many things. Btw, on the way back, we had to dispatch alcohol we bought on the duty free - no alcohol on board at all, they told us.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.