• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Poles - Bring them they are essential

boramoya

Time of past OR future Camino
Walked Camino Frances March/April 2013
I have read many articles where people tell you what to bring and what not to bring, including the guide book everyone uses, John Brierley's "Camion de Santiago" and in none of these does it mention the real importance of using walking poles. Having now walked this route form St Jean I can tell you that they are essential. Not only will they help you with your balance it makes it a lot easier going up hills as you can use your arms and upper body to pull you up so you are using the whole of your body, like wise going down the poles can act a break against the pull of gravity. All of this not only builds you upper body up but takes considerable pressure away from you knees and ankle joints........ They do not cost much I got mine from Cotswolds outdoor shop for £25 each - there the green ones and there spring loaded.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Sorry boramoya but I really cannot agree. I Carried my walking poles for most of the Frances, they came in handy twice but were a long way from essential. They were also cumbersome in use, an additional weight on my back-pack that I would happily have lived without, and an absolute flaming nuisance on trying to board my homeward flight despite the fact that they were shrink wrapped to my pack.

That said the beloved borrowed them for her first Camino (Santiago - Muxia - Fisterra) and thought they were great.

It is definately an individual thing. There are those that love them and others, not so much. For me they were invaluable, second in importance only to my water supply.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I brought hiking poles, my husband did not. My advice about poles is this, use them while training. If you find them to be less helpful, then don't bother. I found them to be exactly what I needed. For me, not only were they an important joint saver but they also helped me to keep a rhythm in my stride.

Sheesh said:
It is definately an individual thing. There are those that love them and others, not so much. For me they were invaluable, second in importance only to my water supply.
Yes, you could start WWIII over trekking poles. lol

Anyone run into problems with bringing collapsible walking poles on the plane with a carryon backpack?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Canucks said:
Anyone run into problems with bringing collapsible walking poles on the plane with a carryon backpack?
I'm interested in the answer to this one as well, especially now that TSA is reconsidering their recent ruling that allowed ski/trekking poles among other things. Although the objections by flight crews focused mainly on small pocket knives, the government typically takes a pretty broad-brush approach on rulings such as this and may just rescind the entire ruling. We bought rather expensive poles that collapsed down to carry-on size, and would hate to have to leave them behind.

I've never used them and never intend to even try. I have tendonitis - can't grip anything for long. My hands go numb. I've managed to walk and not fall over (yet). My son had a pole last year that he kept leaving and we kept having to go back for that we left for good in the Madrid airport. The year before, he and my husband picked up sticks in the woods and lost them within days. So yeah, it's definitely an individual preference thing.

3walkingtoSantiago said:
I've never used them and never intend to even try. I have tendonitis - can't grip anything for long. My hands go numb.
This would indicate to me that you haven't been shown how to wear poles properly. The most common 'fault' that I see is people not using the strap to transfer the push from the heel of the hand and their wrist. If this is done, there is no need to ever grip the pole tightly. One only needs to grip it lightly to guide the tip where that might be necessary in rough terrain.

There are only two ways to put one's hand through the strap loop. If it dangles loosely over the wrist, with the loop underneath the wrist, that's the wrong way. You will need to grip the pole with your hand on every step, and that will just wear you out, or you won't be pushing down hard enough to get the real benefit from pole use, ie taking a bit of weight off your lower joints.

The strap needs to pass down underneath the palm of your hand next to the handle, and loop back over the top of your wrist. This allows you to push down without tightly gripping the pole. People who do this can do it all day and every tomorrow without difficulty.

The alternative is Pacer poles, which I have not used, but which have a hand grip that equally doesn't require tight gripping.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
3walkingtoSantiago said:
I've never used them and never intend to even try. I have tendonitis - can't grip anything for long. My hands go numb.
Someone has to say it, so it might as well be me;-)
Pacerpoles are designed to NOT be gripped. You merely rest your hand on top. One day you might have a knee injury and revise your stand on never intending to try. When they make the difference between unbearable and tolerable pain on downhill walks, they are magic....in the meantime, enjoy your well-functioning body.

PS I'm not even old - I was in my thirties when a teenaged ski-ing injury started playing havoc with my knee. I was in so much pain hiking in Thailand that I thought I'd never walk again. Health is such a gift.

Now you have done it Doug, pacer poles, give up all hope who tread there. I hope I am joking. I have been practicing with pacer poles. You do use a very light grip, see if you can try a pair before you buy. I am in the flat lands of Texas so I can't speak to how they work in the hills or rougher terrain but I can report it helps with a weak knee and a healing back. I have planed some trips to practice on the trails of Big Bend national park in the coming month. I will update once I get back.

Loved the poles and wouldn't walk without them. One day found myself in the middle of a herd of sheep, making eye contact with a ram. Held my poles loosely in each hand and said uh-uh. Oh we like sheep.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ive walked comfortably without poles, with poles, and with a simple walking stick. All worked just fine. It's a matter of preference I certainly would not call them essential.

Has anyone gone from using 2 poles to just one? Does that work? I like the rhythm you get walking with 2, but do find I can't do a thing without putting them both down. Not sure if one would help this issue.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.