• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking poles for Camino del Norte

AJGuillaume

Pèlerin du monde
Time of past OR future Camino
Via Gebennensis (2018)
Via Podiensis (2018)
Voie Nive Bidassoa (2018)
Camino Del Norte (2018)
My wife and I are currently in Finland (visiting family), and have been looking at shops selling walking poles.
There's an amazing variety, so we thought we might ask for opinions, advice and suggestions for walking poles.
We will be walking from Lake Geneva down to Santiago de Compostela, and we will be walking the Camino del Norte in September and October, so we think walking poles will be a necessity given the likelihood of wet paths.
We might take the train back to Switzerland, but we are also conscious that if we fly, we may have luggage restrictions.
So we welcome any and all advice on walking poles: type, collapsible or not, material, cost, any other aspect that we should consider.
Thank you
Cheers
Andrew

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Whatever you buy , in whatever material they are made from will be far better than no poles at all .
Try to get ones that collapse into the smallest length possible , it's just easier and more convenient that way .

Lighter is better. Being able to adjust the length is important as you want a longer pole when going downhill. Being able to take them apart, or at least folding them up so that they fit in your backpack is handy. There are some with anti-shock springs but they add extra weight and are unnecessary. Please buy some rubber feet if you are going to use them in town. In Canada I walk with a group that use the Nordic poles with the glove that attaches to the poles. They are a real pain getting them attached and then getting them off when you want a drink of water. In Spain I just use poles that have a strap that I put my hand through. I can't talk about cost since I bought my poles in Canada - I don't know how much poles cost in Europe. You will probably find that the more expensive poles are adjustable and much lighter and stronger.
Sounds like an amazing trip you are planning! Buen camino!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My wife and I are currently in Finland (visiting family), and have been looking at shops selling walking poles.
There's an amazing variety, so we thought we might ask for opinions, advice and suggestions for walking poles.
We will be walking from Lake Geneva down to Santiago de Compostela, and we will be walking the Camino del Norte in September and October, so we think walking poles will be a necessity given the likelihood of wet paths.
We might take the train back to Switzerland, but we are also conscious that if we fly, we may have luggage restrictions.
So we welcome any and all advice on walking poles: type, collapsible or not, material, cost, any other aspect that we should consider.
Thank you
Cheers
Andrew
You will definitely need two walking poles for the del Norte. Altus make ones that collapse quite short. You will have to check them in rather than carry on board if you are flying anywhere with them. Be aware that the del Norte route has some extremely steep, slippery and dangerous section between Irun and Bilbao. Beyween Vilares and Luarca you will get some rather muddy and often impasssable sections of track also. I was there the middle of September.

We like our Black Diamond Distance Carbon Z--they are very light and fold up (three sections) We had to replace them in Spain when the airlines lost our original pair. Cost $99 USD. I've had other kinds--which are very heavy in comparison. I have also used the kinds that twist to lock, but they eventually failed. Used the Black Diamond on many trails including the Norte, and Primitivo. You will love the walk from Geneva! Buen Camino

PacerPoles (www.pacerpoles.com). Ergonomically designed with pistol grips and poles that angle slightly back from the grip. They telescope and are available in carbon fiber. Made in England and available over the internet. Everyone I’ve ever seen with them loves them as much as I do.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For what it is worth poles waste of space and not required if you are able bodied. I often wonder why people use them.

Another vote for the Black Diamond Z poles, I have a pair in aluminum and are also very light. My preference is for the non-adjustable ones, shaves a bit of weight and when used as you would a nordic xc ski pole it gives all the benefits needed.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
For what it is worth poles waste of space and not required if you are able bodied. I often wonder why people use them.

Gently Tex. Speak only of your own experience. Some of us are dependant on our poles. I could manage without them. Provided I don't mind face-planting once or twice a day, with attendant injuries. And developing swollen knees. And swollen fingers. And twisting or breaking an ankle. All of which has happened to me when not using poles.

I like my Pacer poles very much. The pistol grips make a big difference. I used normal style Leki poles the year before, the support that I got from the Pacer poles just felt much more natural.

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.