• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking poles - how to take them on a flight??

Gibbru

Time of past OR future Camino
Have done as far as Leon so far.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can take my walking poles on a flight, please? I'm flying Ryanair who specifically ban them in hand luggage. Regardless, even taken apart they are too long for my pack (small 30l Mountain Designs pack, I travel light) so if I check them in they would have to travel alone and not in my pack. Would they be treated well/arrive safely? I don't really want the expense of buying more at the other end and I am really happy with the ones I have. Can anyone think of a solution, please???

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used white PVC piping and end caps (available in most any plumbing or larger hardware supply store) as well as some duct tape and a rope handle to make a container for protecting my walking sticks. I fit in the sticks as well as my penknife and some liquids inside, seal it up (but with a small drilled hole to avoid air pressure issues), write my name & phone number on the outside and check it in at the airport. On three Caminos, I have left the empty tube with a hotel that I plan to stay in the day before departure (I fly home out of the same airport near the start of my Camino). I've never had a problem getting it back and using it on the return flight and subsequent Caminos. If you are flying out of Santiago, you can also just ship it to Ivar or your hotel there to hold for your arrival. Buen Camino!

Last edited:
I used white PVC piping and end caps (available in most any plumbing or larger hardware supply store) as well as some duct tape and a rope handle to make a container for protecting my walking sticks. I fit in the sticks as well as my penknife and some liquids inside, seal it up (but with a small drilled hole to avoid air pressure issues), write my name & phone number on the outside and check it in at the airport. On three Caminos, I have left the empty tube with a hotel that I plan to stay in the day before departure (I fly home out of the same airport near the start of my Camino). I've never had a problem getting it back and using it on the return flight and subsequent Caminos. Buen Camino!

Brilliant idea. Thanks Michael. And the photo really helped :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you are in the UK, Ireland or Europe (which you must be if flying Ryanair), you can post your poles to your first destination.

Putting them in a tube last time cost me around £20, because of the weight and size. This week I wrapped my collapsed poles in bubblewrap, and then in a cut-up jiffy-bag, rolled into a long cylindrical shape and wound round with parcel tape. Cost me £8.

Supposedly takes 3-5 working days, but I prefer to allow nearer to 2 weeks.

I address the package to myself, with the word 'llegar' (meaning 'arriving') and the date next to my name.

I also email the pension/albergue before to advise them I will be doing this, using google translate.

Last time I did check my pack on the way home, with my poles inside. I haven't decided what to do on my return this time, but they were cheap, so it won't bother me too much to leave them behind.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I can take my walking poles on a flight, please? I'm flying Ryanair who specifically ban them in hand luggage. Regardless, even taken apart they are too long for my pack (small 30l Mountain Designs pack, I travel light) so if I check them in they would have to travel alone and not in my pack. Would they be treated well/arrive safely? I don't really want the expense of buying more at the other end and I am really happy with the ones I have. Can anyone think of a solution, please???
Gibbru, i walked the camino 3 years ago and asked the same question prior to leaving. I had heard stories of losing very expensive walking sticks to TSA because they were "dangerous". My solution, which worked well for me, was to buy a set when I arrived. I did so for a cost of 10 euros for a pair (they even were spring loaded). When I reached Santiago, I donated them to the "pile".
Buen Camino!

Here are my pacer poles, wrapped up to be checked for my flight to Madrid Thursday morning. I used an old box and some bubble envelopes.

Attachments

• e8365585-fc76-4d23-81ea-844b2becb416.jpg
    e8365585-fc76-4d23-81ea-844b2becb416.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 159
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Payed 26€ to ship my Pacer poles back to Canada from Santiago, wrapped In Bubbles wrap. It was the first time poles travelled on their own, otherwise they go In lack or wrapped around Them.

When I left Salt Lake City for Pamplona last year I carried on my Pacer Poles (they stuck out the top of my pack) When I flew home from Santiago I checked them inside of the net bag that they originally came in. They arrived home with no problems. I expect to carry them on when I fly to Lisbon in September.

Mike

I used white PVC piping and end caps (available in most any plumbing or larger hardware supply store) as well as some duct tape and a rope handle to make a container for protecting my walking sticks. I fit in the sticks as well as my penknife and some liquids inside, seal it up (but with a small drilled hole to avoid air pressure issues), write my name & phone number on the outside and check it in at the airport. On three Caminos, I have left the empty tube with a hotel that I plan to stay in the day before departure (I fly home out of the same airport near the start of my Camino). I've never had a problem getting it back and using it on the return flight and subsequent Caminos. If you are flying out of Santiago, you can also just ship it to Ivar or your hotel there to hold for your arrival. Buen Camino!

I did something similar. I used a hard cardboard shipping tube (with cap not shown) for protection and put it in a 20 year old plus canvas bag which had reached the end of its useful life. I Also put some easily replaceable bulky items, such as empty Nalgene bottles, in it to reduce the size of my carry on (Osprey Kestrel 38). I also left my bag an tube at my hotel in Madrid (Nuevo Boston, near the airport) - I was prepared to just cast them away, but the were very accommodating.
PackingMyPoles.jpg Carryon.jpg

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I folded my Z poles up, put the tips on (which I left on for the entire trip), and stuffed them into the side of my pack. If I had encountered an issue, I would have checked the pack. Granted, I had also put my clothing into a large waterproof stuff sack, and was prepared to remove just that in case I needed to check my bag, but my Z poles made it onto every flight.

I did check my bag coming home, as I got so ill the night before I could barely function the day of travel.

I used white PVC piping and end caps
Brilliant, MichaelSG! Finally, a workaround for this sticky issue. I am a big fan of carry on when at all possible. But trekking poles can be an issue. And I like my z-poles too much to leave them behind. I've seen where people get their poles through security sometimes, but the risk of not is too high, so this is brilliant. Carry everything on, save for the poles, and check them as baggage in a tube, love it.

Cheers,

When I left Salt Lake City for Pamplona last year I carried on my Pacer Poles (they stuck out the top of my pack) When I flew home from Santiago I checked them inside of the net bag that they originally came in. They arrived home with no problems. I expect to carry them on when I fly to Lisbon in September.

Mike

I'd love to carry mine on but I'm afraid I"ll be stopped at TSI and won't have time to mess with checking them.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

If flying Ryanair (or any other airline which charges for separate checked in bags) I put my poles in a cardboard tube (obtained from local Parcel shop), tape them securely and then strap them to my check in bag, which then passes through as one item.

I just recently heard that once we're in Europe we can ship items to Ivar in Santiago and he'll hold them for 60 days. Since I can't take my poles or pocket knife as a carry-on, AND since I'm planning a leisurely trip back to Paris after my Camino, I've decided to do the following:

— package my poles, knife, maybe a few liquids AND a medium-size daypack, a nice change of clothes and a few luxuries in a cardboard box and check the box as luggage when I fly over to Paris. Retrieve the box and take with me to my first overnight location, which will be SJPP.
— pull out my poles, knife, liquids for my Camino, then re-box the rest and take to the local post office to ship to Santiago.
— at the end of my Camino, I'll retrieve my box and have some clean clothes and a few luxuries! I'll pack everything I need for my trip home into my day pack, then ship my pack home, including my poles and knife, so I don't have to worry about them on the way back.

I'll let you know how that works. I leave in 10 days.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Unless you're flying Ryanair, Annie, walk with them. They look enough like canes that nobody says anything except, "Do you need help boarding?"

I discovered that you can in fact take walking poles in your hand luggage on both Ryanair and EasyJet (despite their small print saying that they are not allowed).

My solution is to use poles that break down into 4 rather than 3. Mine are Leki Micro Trail poles. Very light and only 35 cms or 14 inches long. I plan to store them in my checked rucksack.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My solution is to use poles that break down into 4 rather than 3
My theory is that when collapsed to this length, they are no longer considered "poles," which is why they are acceptable. Similarly, one can carry many small (<100 mL) containers of liquid but not the same amount in a big container.

I walked past an art shop today and saw this tube at the window. It's plastic and weighs about 220gm (minus strap). It fits perfectly for the poles (retracted) and is expandable to twice its length if need be. I think it's called painting carrier. Costs about USD8 equivalent. Will throw in the Swiss Army knife too. I was thinking of something disposable at first but this works too. I'll just tie it at the bottom of the pack while walking and reuse for return flight (if it arrives at the first place). Maybe will stuff a few bananas, chocolate, cheese or a long baguette in it as food storage.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    638.2 KB · Views: 40
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
IMG_2362.jpg In the last 2 weeks I flew Easyjet from London Stansted to Asturias, and Ryanair from Santiago to London Stansted. I had my backpack which I had pre-paid to check in, and a tiny hand bag. On both occasions I strapped the collapsed poles straight onto my backpack using the loops which the bag has for that purpose. I used no protective tubes or wrapping.

On Easyjet at Stansted they said it was fine to leave the poles strapped to the backpack, and they checked the bag in through Special Luggage, although it came through at Asturias on the normal reclaim belt, none the worse for wear. (NB Stansted is an airport where 90% of flights are Ryanair so would expect them to say the same).

On Ryanair at Santiago they said to remove the poles from the backpack, I tied them together with two big rubber bands and they went through into normal checked-in as a separate item, and came back out in London again on the normal reclaim belt. I also saw someone checking in for the same flight who had been asked at security not to take his poles in hand luggage, he had rushed back to the desk to check them in.

On neither occasion was I charged extra or were the poles damaged. As I understand it, Ryanair has a long standing unofficial practice of letting you check in poles for free at Santiago airport.

Last edited:
View attachment 28098

On Ryanair at Santiago they said to remove the poles from the backpack, I tied them together with two rubber bands and they went through into normal checked-in as a separate item, and came back out in London again on the normal reclaim belt.

On neither occasion was I charged extra or were the poles damaged. As I understand it, Ryanair has a long standing unofficial practice of letting you check in poles for free at Santiago airport.

But you were still checking your backpack? So you were paying for at least one item?

It would be wonderful if they didn't charge you for the poles while you could still take the backpack on the plane with you for free.

But you were still checking your backpack? So you were paying for at least one item?

It would be wonderful if they didn't charge you for the poles while you could still take the backpack on the plane with you for free.

Easyjet and Ryanair are superbudget airlines and have very stringent restrictions on all hand luggage. I once saw a woman at check-in take most of her clothes out of her hand luggage and put them all on, so she could fit her smaller handbag (US 'purse') into the hand luggage, because she would otherwise be charged. When she had finished, the people in the queue clapped her.

You need to check carefully the guidance on their web pages on sizes and weights for hand luggage, because they make a lot of money by charging extortionately for non-booked (i.e. last minute) hold luggage. Their hand luggage allowances are considerably smaller than other airlines, and are not the same as each other. Ryanair even sells its own bag for hand luggage which fit its requirements.

That's why I pre-book my backpack as checked-in. Both airlines are so cheap, I don't mind doing this and I prefer not arguing about its size/weight or struggling on the plane trying to stuff it into the locker. So I really appreciate their flexibility around not charging for poles (unofficial - it's not on the websites).

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Easyjet and Ryanair are superbudget airlines and have very stringent restrictions on all hand luggage. I once saw a woman at check-in take most of her clothes out of her hand luggage and put them all on, so she could fit her smaller handbag (US 'purse') into the hand luggage, because she would otherwise be charged. When she had finished, the people in the queue clapped her.

You need to check carefully the guidance on their web pages on sizes and weights for hand luggage, because they make a lot of money by charging extortionately for non-booked (i.e. last minute) hold luggage. Their hand luggage allowances are considerably smaller than other airlines, and are not the same as each other. Ryanair even sells its own bag for hand luggage which fit its requirements.

That's why I pre-book my backpack as checked-in. Both airlines are so cheap, I don't mind doing this and I prefer not arguing about its size/weight or struggling on the plane trying to stuff it into the locker. So I really appreciate their flexibility around not charging for poles (unofficial - it's not on the websites).

I will check my bag in also. I fly from Gatwick to Oviedo and it is really cheap. €13 for the bagpack and I have it wrapped so there won´t be any hassle with it.

Gibbru, i walked the camino 3 years ago and asked the same question prior to leaving. I had heard stories of losing very expensive walking sticks to TSA because they were "dangerous". My solution, which worked well for me, was to buy a set when I arrived. I did so for a cost of 10 euros for a pair (they even were spring loaded). When I reached Santiago, I donated them to the "pile".
Buen Camino!
Hello there,
Can I ask where you bought your walking sticks?

Hello there,
Can I ask where you bought your walking sticks?

The post is over two years old, so the poster may not be on the forum now. Can you tell us where in Spain you plan on starting your Camino? That will let us know where we can direct you. For instance, if you plan to start in St Jean Pied de Port, there are two different outdoor shops which sell trekking poles within a short walk of the Pilgrim Office there.
http://www.boutique-du-pelerin.com/en/
https://www.mayasport.fr/

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I walked from Valenca to SDC in April. I flew Easyjet from Bristol to Porto for the bargain price of £38. It cost me the same to put my 30 litre rucksack (with poles strapped to it) in the hold. I don't mind doing this in the slightest. What ticked me off was the fact that people were blatantly carrying walking poles into the aircraft cabin or using them to walk onto the aircraft, apparently with no questions asked. There is a lesson to be learned here, me thinks.....! Still, it was the most brilliant experience - the Camino that is, not Easyjet - we were 3.5 hours late leaving Bristol......!!!

... What ticked me off was the fact that people were blatantly carrying walking poles into the aircraft cabin or using them to walk onto the aircraft, apparently with no questions asked. There is a lesson to be learned here, me thinks.....! Still, it was the most brilliant experience - the Camino that is, not Easyjet - we were 3.5 hours late leaving Bristol......!!!

Why would that bother you? Lots of folks have been allowed to do so, both in the states and in Europe. If TSA sees them and the gate attendant for the airline also sees the trekking poles and allows boarding, I don't understand why that is a problem.

Why would that bother you? Lots of folks have been allowed to do so, both in the states and in Europe. If TSA sees them and the gate attendant for the airline also sees the trekking poles and allows boarding, I don't understand why that is a problem.
:D I think @Akbunny59 was ticked off, not so much because there were people walking onto the plane with their trekking poles, but more because he was not one of them!

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The post is over two years old, so the poster may not be on the forum now. Can you tell us where in Spain you plan on starting your Camino? That will let us know where we can direct you. For instance, if you plan to start in St Jean Pied de Port, there are two different outdoor shops which sell trekking poles within a short walk of the Pilgrim Office there.
http://www.boutique-du-pelerin.com/en/
https://www.mayasport.fr/
Hello and thankyou for your reply. We're stating in SJPdP so the two places you have mentioned will be ideal :)

Hello and thankyou for your reply. We're stating in SJPdP so the two places you have mentioned will be ideal :)
If somehow you miss them there, the albergue in Roncesvalles sells them (or did two years ago) and there is a sporting goods store in Zubiri that sells them, too.

Cannot comment on Ryan air, but for those that this may help, my husband and I rearranged our packs so he was able to put our poles inside his pack and we took them as carry on in our bags with Norwegian airlines from Denver to London Gatwick and then in Easy Jet from Gatwick to Biarritz. Did. It have to bag check them as we thought we would.no problems at all through security.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Just to let everyone know, I recently completed the Camino Frances for which I did not bring my walking poles with but bought new poles in France. I flew with Ryanair from Vigo and my son flew home from Porto also Ryanair, we both brought our poles on board as hand luggage with absolutely no problems

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.