• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking poles on flight

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowie

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto to Santiago Easter
I wonder what people's experiences are of taking walking poles on a flight. I don't think I can fit them in my rucksack, even when at their smallest and not sure if I'm allowed to take them into the cabin.

Also has anyone ever used any kind of precautionary method with bungees/tapes on rucksack to prevent damage by over enthusiastic flight attendees etc.

Thank you fellow travellers/pilgrims!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You may be surprised to hear that this topic has been covered once or twice before.

Several people have successfully taken their poles as hand luggage, they’ll be along shortly; an overwhelming majority have not. Poles are expressly prohibited in hand baggage in many cases.

Either check them in or buy them when you get there.

(Later: I should have said ‘welcome! You’re in the right place for all things Camino. If you try the search function you’ll find that most* of the usual questions have been covered exhaustively. I’d especially recommend a blog by @Anniesantiago which covers the basics very well indeed)

Last edited:
You may be surprised to hear that this topic has been covered once or twice before.
This made me laugh.

To answer your questions, many have no problem getting their poles TO Spain.
Coming home is another issue.
They must be checked or they will be confiscated in Spanish airports - almost always in my experience.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I wonder what people's experiences are of taking walking poles on a flight. I don't think I can fit them in my rucksack, even when at their smallest and not sure if I'm allowed to take them into the cabin.

Also has anyone ever used any kind of precautionary method with bungees/tapes on rucksack to prevent damage by over enthusiastic flight attendees etc.

HI Rowie
They do not allow you to take poles into the cabin they must be checked. I have tried attaching them to my backpack in various ways and am now used to seeing poles that have come adrift on the carousel. I have just bought a new Osprey backpack that comes with a rain cover that doubles as a flight transit case so this should stop this happening. Having said that I was just in Decathlon with my granddaughters preparing for our Camino in May/June and saw some collapsible poles that would fit in a backpack for only £5 a pole. It was only sentimental attachment to my existing poles that stopped me buying them.
Buen Camino
Vince

I'm a little embarrassed to say this because it makes me look CHEAP but I got a note from my doctor declaring the 'sticks' to be a necessary medical device so no charge for baggage. I'm 70, so there's that . . and I did fall down in the last year but it was chasing a tennis ball, and really more of a dive than a fall . . .
I definitely would not go through security with the sticks unless you are providing yourself with enough time to return to airline and check them if denied entrance and most definitely do not try to hide them. That is the kiss of death for your hopes of traveling at all on that day! We are checking our luggage from Dublin to Lourdes but Ryan Air is not that much more expensive for a checked bag, about 8 Euros or so. Buen Camino!

I was able to travel out of Boston with poles in my pack as carryon. However, TSA would not allow in Madrid! They took them, so I purchased new poles in St. Jean that were inexpensive, yet very functional.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

I have not flown without my own beloved poles since my first camino (when I bought sub-par poles on the ground). That means I always check my bags, ad this time I’m adding a bag tracker (airtag) to my pack just to be on the safer side. Normally I don’t worry, but this time I have lay-overs and so I want to track that thing.

For protection there are two options I like. One is to get your bag cello-wrapped at the airport before you check in (the more expensive and perhaps more wasteful option; I like it only because the airlines all know what it is for: protecting straps and such from getting tangled and ripped in baggage equipment). The other option (and I’m using it this time) is to get a big blue IKEA bag, put your sack inside, and then fold it down into a tight envelope and tape it all shut). You can leave the small handles out and accessible. On arrival, unpack, fold down into a pocket in your pack, and re-use at the other end to return home.

We haven’t had a bag go wandering since 2004, and airline tracking of bags is much much better than it used to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Never check you backpack. Always put it on the plane with you. If you are arriving in Madrid and spending the day head over to a Decathlon and buy some cheap poles that is what I do. They are more than functional. You can also buy them in SJPP or if you want a wait a few days in Pamplona. Wonderful little Camino store around the corner from Jesus and Maria albergue.
Coming home is another issue.
They must be checked or they will be confiscated in Spanish airports - almost always in my experience.
Then you can leave your poles in Santiago.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
They do not allow you to take poles into the cabin they must be checked.
I think it’s important to specify which country of departure we are talking about, and who the “they” is. As Annie and others have said, folded up poles are almost always allowed to go through US TSA security. The airlines are usually not involved in that decision, at least not in the US.

Going through security in Spain is a totally different matter. You cannot carry them on in Santiago under any circumstances.

If you check in in Madrid, either as a transit passenger going from US - Madrid - Pamplona (Valencia, Barcelona, Almería, etc etc) or on your way home to the US, you are also unlikely to be able to carry them on. This presents a problem for people who carry on their poles from the US and arrive in Madrid to change to a different flight, only to discover that they cannot take them on the flight. As a transit passenger, checking your poles means leaving the secure airport, standing in the check-in line, checking the poles, and then going through security again. This could be a long process that means you miss your connection.

So here’s what I would recommend for US forum members.

1. If you are flying US to Madrid, fold them up and put them in your pack and carry them on. But have a Plan B way to check them if TSA says you can’t bring them on. I would never ever check my pack, even though, as others have pointed out, the rate of lost luggage has decreased a lot. But just ask Annie Santiago about how much fun it is when a pack does get lost.

2. If you are flying US to Madrid to another city in Spain, check the poles in the US, carry on the pack, and hope the poles arrive.

3. On the way home, check the poles.

They're not allowed in the cabin and will be confiscated at security if you try. You have to check them in as hold baggage which is crazy expensive at an airport. Next time I'm leaving mine at home and will buy a cheap one at St Jean PdP of Pamplona and leave it at Santiago (I only use one on the Camino)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We have some people on this thread making a categorical statement that poles "will be confiscated" or "they do not allow..." Then we have several people saying that they were allowed. Personally, I have carried folding poles in my carry-on. You can see how this topic tends to go downhill very fast.

In case this thread doesn't clarify things well enough, if you click on the tag "poles" that is now under the title at the top of this thread (or click here), you will find one or two threads on the topic. 🤣

It’s Camino season again! Poles on a plane!

They're not allowed in the cabin and will be confiscated at security if you try.
Don’t want to make a big deal out of this, but these statements are too broad. It is just not accurate to make this as a categorical generalization. It would be much more helpful if you could say….

I was not allowed to carry on my poles going through security at XXXX airport.

Specific information is the only way that we can get some clarity on the actual state of things.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
If I may make a suggestion, just read the small print when booking the tickets or checking in - it will tell you what is and isn't allowed on board as hand luggage. The fact that airport security officers sometimes will and sometimes won't let them through despite these rules is anecdotal with a sprinkle of random, and won't help if you get told to go check them in or have them confiscated.

And with that, I will take a break from pointing this obvious point out for this season and go walking instead. With the poles I have checked in because they aren't allowed on the plane and I can't reliably ship by mail from the UK anymore because of brexit, and I can't buy at the other end because they are Pacerpoles and only available from Pacerpole.com.

HI Rowie
They do not allow you to take poles into the cabin they must be checked. I have tried attaching them to my backpack in various ways and am now used to seeing poles that have come adrift on the carousel. I have just bought a new Osprey backpack that comes with a rain cover that doubles as a flight transit case so this should stop this happening. Having said that I was just in Decathlon with my granddaughters preparing for our Camino in May/June and saw some collapsible poles that would fit in a backpack for only £5 a pole. It was only sentimental attachment to my existing poles that stopped me buying them.
Buen Camino
Vince
Thanks Vince
I think that sounds like a good plan, I could try and get some that go smaller. I also have just bought a new Osprey rucksack that I'm a bit precious about to be honest.Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
not sure if I'm allowed to take them into the cabin
You won’t know until you get to security, whatever anyone tells you here.

At my teeny weeny local airport I checked in for the 50 minute flight to Johannesburg.

The check-in clerk (I hadn’t even got to security yet) asked me if I have any scissors in my carry-on bag.

No.

Nail clippers? Yes.

Not allowed. Yes they are. No they’re not. Oh for *.’s sake.

So I checked my teeny weeny pack into the hold. (No additional cost.)

Well as a frugal pilgrim I have always preferred a walking stick I found along the way. I have seen many elderly Spanish residents walking along with them so I gave it a try. Works for me and I avoid airline hassles.

Since we’re allowed one checked bag, we carry backpack on board and scrounge up a cardboard box to put in hiking sticks for both parties, and even a Swiss Army knife or two. Not been lost yet.
What a sensible approach.

Personally, I check my pack. I have never lost it yet, although I have to admit that last year, I did have a bag delayed when the airline I was booked on had to use another airline from a different carrier alliances to get me back from NZ to Australia. This was at the stage when several Australian states had locked down, and my original plan of a relatively simple return from Wellington to Canberra through Melbourne on QANTAS had already been changed. When NSW locked down, I was rerouted and travelled on Air NZ from Wellington to Auckland, then QANTAS to Brisbane and then to Canberra. Air NZ is part of the Star Alliance, and QANTAS the One World alliance, and I suspect their baggage handling systems on not well connected at Auckland airport.

Without any evidence, I still have in my mind images of my bag slowly circulating on a domestic baggage carousel at Auckland airport waiting for for me to collect it while I am winging my way to Brisbane until someone realised far too late that it needed to be transhipped to QANTAS on the international side of the airport.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You won’t know until you get to security, whatever anyone tells you here.

At my teeny weeny local airport I checked in for the 50 minute flight to Johannesburg.

The check-in clerk (I hadn’t even got to security yet) asked me if I have any scissors in my carry-on bag.

No.

Nail clippers? Yes.

Not allowed. Yes they are. No they’re not. Oh for *.’s sake.

So I checked my teeny weeny pack into the hold. (No additional cost.)
Oh my goodness..🤣

It’s verging on incredible that this subject still attracts anything other than an eye-roll and ‘here we go again’. My initial reply, although a bit tongue-in-cheek was intended to just offer what I thought was the consensus on here; but perhaps I’m wrong.

Would anyone like to put their name (OK, their username) to advice that the OP should just put her poles in her hand luggage and all will be OK? In either or both directions, UK-Spain-UK.

Anyone?

For what it’s worth I’ve flown UK to Belgium with three 12-bore shotgun cartridges in the pocket of my Barbour. (They’re now somewhere in the sewers of Antwerp). The fact that I did it and got away with it doesn’t make it something I’d recommend to someone else who thinks they’re getting advice they can rely on.

Last edited:
and what about antipodeans? aussies and kiwis ... what is your experience? Flights from this end of the world are long and arduous ... minimum of 23 hours [plus ground transfer time] ... for me, it just makes sense to check everything through to my final destination and not to be concerned about my treasured Helinox poles being confiscated at any point ... in more than XX years of travel to the northern hemisphere I’ve never lost a piece of luggage🤞 I would be interested to know about the experience of other Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans ... 🙏🏽 in advance for your contribution

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
and what about antipodeans? aussies and kiwis ... what is your experience? Flights from this end if the world are long and arduous ... minimum of 23 hours [plus ground transfer time] ... for me, it just makes sense to check everything through to my final destination and not to be concerned about my treasured Helinix poles being confiscated at any point ... in more than XX years of travel to the northern hemisphere I’ve never lost a piece of luggage🤞 I would be interested to know about the experience of other Aussies, Kiwis, South Africans ... 🙏🏽 in advance for your contribution
Oh man, I wish Aussies and Nz would come again. They are my favorite. Been gone last 2 years.

It’s verging on incredible that this subject still attracts anything other than an eye-roll and ‘here we again’. My initial reply, although a bit tongue-in-cheek was intended to just offer what I thought was the consensus on here; but perhaps I’m wrong.

Would anyone like to put their name (OK, their username) to advice that the OP should just put her poles in her hand luggage and all will be OK? In either or both directions, UK-Spain-UK.

Anyone?

For what it’s worth I’ve flown UK to Belgium with three 12-bore shotgun cartridges in the pocket of my Barbour. (They’re now somewhere in the sewers of Antwerp). The fact that I did it and got away with it doesn’t make it something I’d recommend to someone else who thinks they’re getting advice they can rely on.
Bravo, Henry‼️
Oh man, I wish Aussies and Nz would come again. They are my favorite. Been gone last 2 years.
We’re on our way ... back to the fray this year ... you have been warned 😉

It’s verging on incredible that this subject still attracts anything other than an eye-roll and ‘here we go again’. My initial reply, although a bit tongue-in-cheek was intended to just offer what I thought was the consensus on here; but perhaps I’m wrong.

Anyone?

I didn't really think that I would get a sarcastic response. I just wanted some advice as I haven't travelled that far or done a long distance walking trip abroad before.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I didn't really think that I would get a sarcastic response. I just wanted some advice as I haven't travelled that far or done a long distance walking trip abroad before.
We will get it sorted out

Anyone?

Henry, next time just paste in the link to the topic where subject of a question appeared and was answered instead of ''entertaining'' others here with your sarcasm because it is not nice.

Anyone?

Whoa whoa whoa. Um, why would you carry shot gun shells on a plane?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Next time just paste in the link to the topic where subject of a question appeared and was answered instead of ''entertaining'' others here with your sarcasm because it is not nice.

Sarcasm seems to be the order of the day on here (he said, thinking of another recent thread on a common topic that degenerated into slights and hurt feelings and was closed. Mods, maybe time to close this thread too?)

Sorry to stop the fun. I have posted a new locked thread here. :cool::rolleyes::rolleyes:🤣😇

If I have missed an important point please let me know by private Conversation. However, I don't need to hear anecdotes, packing tips, or comments about whether poles are "needed" - just let me know of any errors or significant omission in that post.

You are very welcome to post a link to that thread if someone else asks the same question. I know we roll our eyes at it because it is so common and it triggers such heated reactions, but it is in fact a very reasonable question that we all had to ask at an earlier point in our pilgrim careers.

I want to add a point about how this thread has evolved.

It is only natural that almost all newcomers to the forum will ask the same questions as longtime pilgrims did, years ago. Forum members are generally quite patient and welcoming. We joked during Covid lockdowns that we longed for somebody to ask about bed bugs or walking poles.

Sometimes we jump into such predictable debates that it is funny. It happens in a flash. It is as if we had a Saturday Night Live skit ready to play on certain questions, and we even know who will play what role. We are laughing at ourselves. Some of us are known for the bedbug arguments, others are known to get excited by the poles-on-plane question, still others work up a self-righteous sweat for or against ponchos, sandals, boots, or Gortex. It is amazing that we can continue to maintain this level of energy and interest.

Unfortunately, the person who has just joined the forum and innocently asked the question can end up feeling rather "awkward". Comments that might be intended as wry humour can look like unkind sarcasm. That is understandable but unfortunate. We all (well, mostly) turn into kind and helpful pilgrims on the Camino!

The beauty of the forum is that we are a community that includes all types and opinions. You don't get many stock answers here, but you get a very broader sampling! Therefore some disagreements, differences, eccentric humour, and grumpy impatience will emerge.

Both long-time members and new members need to be tolerant and patient of each other. All are welcome!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.