• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking poles on the airplane

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerrychick

Time of past OR future Camino
2009 camino francis 2006 porto way 2010 camino francis 2014 camino francis.starting in Logrono in sep 2016.
Hi all ,I will be starting my camino next week and i would like to bring my walking poles .

Do you think i can take them on ryanair ,i get conflicting information on this topic,
has anyone managed to take their poles with them or will i have to get new ones in Logrono.

Thanks so much ,love this forum.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I don't know about Ryanair BUT I just arrived in Paris from Australia with Singapore airlines ..... Took my pack as carry on and wrapped my poles in bubble wrap and cardboard and checked them in .... The funny thing was the girl at the check in counter was trying to convince me to take then on board because they are small find up ones .... She thought they would get lost ... They didn't ..... I was pretty sure they might get confiscated by security so checked them in ..... Anyway alls well ....

Anne

Do you think i can take them on ryanair ,i get conflicting information on this topic,
As you have probably noticed there are many threads on this topic. All inconclusive. There are two definitives: Hiking Poles are not permitted as cabin-baggage; many people successfully transport collapsed poles packed inside or firmly attached to their rucksack as cabin-baggage. (Except when embarking at Santiago.)

You should ask Ryanair - though even the mighty Ryanair have no locus in airport security.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi all ,I will be starting my camino next week and i would like to bring my walking poles .

has anyone managed to take their poles with them or will i have to get new ones in Logrono.

There are many stories on here about different airlines from those who have been able to carry their poles into the cabin and those who were refused. The general advice seems to be....be prepared for them not to be accepted as cabin luggage.
i.e. be ready to check them in suitably protected if you have to.

Ryanair have refused to allow me to carry them as cabin baggage in the past. But others may have got away with it. It's rather pot luck I think.

Always check in my backpack, and the poles go where the backpack is going. :cool:
Wish you a wonderful journey and a Buen Camino, Peter.

It's all about calculation of costs regarding poles as cabin or checked-in baggage. From where I live for most of the Spanish Caminos starting points I have to change planes one time. You can buy cheap poles in Spain for approx.10€ and checked-in baggage costs roughly 15€/flight with Ryanair. Iberia has nearly the same prices as Ryanair but they charge you for checked-in baggage regardless of number of connected flights just once. Either way it would be cheaper for me to buy new poles every time I go to Spain. But I just don't want to buy new poles if it isn't neccessary. Why dumping them in SdC or Fisterra/Muxia because there almost nobody would need them anymore. Just making more waste in this world that's why I'm happy to pay a little bit more and use my trustful poles again and again :)

As @Tincatinker already mentioned Santiago airport has reputation of rejecting poles as cabin baggage. I guess it doesn't completely depends on the company but more on the certain airport security policy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I

I took mine on Ryanair in August just gone. Packed them in my rucksack no problems rap them up and put them in your bag.

Buen Camino

Kerrychick,

I flew Ryanair Dublin to Biarritz on September 3rd. My rucksack was 7.0kg and (just about) fitted the cage at the bag drop desk, so I took it on board with me.

I was carrying poles with me, and phoned up Dublin Airport Security the day before to check about bringing them on the plane. I was told that they would be permitted on board as long as the ends were "not too sharp". The ends of mine are metal and about 4mm in diameter. I had no problem bringing them on board. If you're worried, I think you should be able to buy rubber ferrules in an outdoor shop, and fit those to the ends.

Buen Camino, from Frómista.

There are many stories on here about different airlines from those who have been able to carry their poles into the cabin and those who were refused. The general advice seems to be....be prepared for them not to be accepted as cabin luggage.
i.e. be ready to check them in suitably protected if you have to.

Ryanair have refused to allow me to carry them as cabin baggage in the past. But others may have got away with it. It's rather pot luck I think.

Our view and experience too.

Last two times we simply purchased once we arrived in Spain or Portugal. We found that poles are much cheaper in Spain/Portugal than in the States. We found a great pair in a tourist ship for about 20 Euro. Ryanair refused to allow in the cabin departing Santiago and the baggage handlers in Madrid were on strike, had to bin them. Grew fond of those poles... Last set we left in Porto at a hotel frequented by pilgrims starting their Camino Portuguese, hopefully they found their way back to Santiago again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am flying out of Bordeaux airport tomorrow to Seville on Ryanair.

Their terms and conditions do say no Trekking Poles but after reading comments here I contacted them directly via their on-line chat. They told me that poles would not be allowed as cabin luggage.

I've decided to buy some in Seville.

Sorry... this reply just adds to the confusion :rolleyes:

@LesBrass I think you have actually managed to reduce the confusion (a little) - Ryanair do not permit Hiking Poles as cabin-baggage. Or at least they do not permit Hiking Poles as cabin-baggage on flights from Bordeaux to Seville tomorrow :p

Or.... at least one Ryan Air employee doing online chatting today does not permit hiking poles as cabin baggage on tomorrow's flight from Bordeaux to Sevilla. :rolleyes:.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Or.... at least one Ryan Air employee doing online chatting today does not permit hiking poles as cabin baggage on tomorrow's flight from Bordeaux to Sevilla. :rolleyes:.

And...as almost everyone here knows and has experienced...the airlines do not inspect bags/packs. The inspection is done by airport security in the security lines.
It doesn't matter a bit what one telephone agent in an office somewhere thinks on the subject.

What matters is simply the policy of the agents in the security line with the X-ray machines. I have never been denied anywhere...USA or Europe.
I would never carry them on from Santiago as I know their policy.

I have never flown Ryan Air, but would really be amazed if they actually looked in people's luggage at the gate...after passing through security.

It always confuses me when folks report that the airline does not allow.
When do they do this denial? What triggers the reinspection at the gate?

It always confuses me when folks report that the airline does not allow.
When do they do this denial? What triggers the reinspection at the gate?

It has been my experience that the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) at the baggage screening is responsible. In the States - yes, I see you're from Seattle, but for the benefit for those not familiar - it is the TSA that has the policy of no trekking poles in the cabin. They see them in the xray, supposedly. Yes, some have gotten through, but investigations (both US government and news/journalists) also show that the TSA misses guns going through security on a regular basis too. I often wonder if they can see carbon fibre?

Again, my experience is that it is very similar departing the European continent. I have also seen gate agents talk to people who have the trekking poles on the outside of their backpacks. They've had to gate check their trekking poles.

@Telelama
I am not sure if you are speaking from experience of having carried on your poles.
You say ".....yes some have gotten through..." Actually all seem to get through including those on the outside of the packs. Those inside the pack with rubber tips are not denied

If you have had your poles inside your pack denied by TSA..we would be happy if you could share that...
I always check my bags returning home from Europe as I really don't care if they arrive the same day.
I have made connections carrying my poles in my pack many times in France, Portugal, Germany and Spain. Never questioned.

Our remarks are based on actual personal experience and are posted as information for those who have asked for actual experience.
Posting an interpretation of TSA rules or phone calls to airlines does not reflect the actual Security Line policy of TSA agents.
We really have no interest in whether or not anyone checks their poles.
That is, of course, up to you.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Yes, I am speaking from experience and no, not "all seem to get through including those on the outside of the packs". All you have to do is read some of the forum posts to see that some get through, but certainly not all.

Your post reads to me as a need to defend your earlier post, your stated position. It is as if you do not believe my experiences. Let me just say that I travel a great deal for both pleasure and business, including internationally. I held a position in France for a number of years that required me to fly back to the States at least once a month. I watch and I observe.

I have no need to "posture" on this forum. I was simply answering a question you posed with knowledge and first hand experience I had. I thought that was the way these forums work.

I want to add that forum posts like these is why my wife never comes here anymore and why I disappear for weeks and months at a time.

Last edited:
Poles checked by themselves tend to get lost - I travel with a pack small enough to be considered a carry on, so I check a bag containing trekking poles and pocketknife. It invariably gets lost (possibly due to small, irregular size) and I have to buy a new pair on arrival. The airlines have been good at getting them back to my home within a couple of weeks where I'm amassing a nice collection (the original barely used set I purchased in the US and all the replacements I've had to buy in Spain).

Next month I'm experimenting with packing them in the maximum allowable size box padded with bubble wrap in the hope they don't get overlooked in the hold.

Yes, I am speaking from experience and no, not "all seem to get through including those on the outside of the packs". All you have to do is read some of the forum posts to see that some get through, but certainly not all.

Your post reads to me as a need to defend your earlier post, your stated position. It is as if you do not believe my experiences. Let me just say that I travel a great deal for both pleasure and business, including internationally. I held a position in France for a number of years that required me to fly back to the States at least once a month. I watch and I observe.

I have no need to "posture" on this forum. I was simply adding to a subject where I felt it needed another POV.

I want to add that forum posts like these is why my wife never comes here anymore and why I disappear for months at a time.
OH dear , I didnt intend to start a rant or anything negative on my thread

just some general advise on taking my walking poles along on my Camino .

Thanks for all your posts on the subject I will take them in my pack and hope for the best

you are all great ....Buen Camino to you .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Camino one I packed my poles, picnic knife and a few other things in a flat cardboard box, and taped the outside with wild neon orange and yellow duct tape. I saw it right away when I went to pick it up at MAD. Camino two I put my poles in a 3" mailing tube and sewed a neon orange nylon bag for it in case it needed to be sent through as luggage. I carried the tube slipped into my pack that I carried on. No hassles. Husband did the same (3" tube and orange bag) for his Offa's Dyke walk (that he is currently on) and strapped the bag to the outside of his pack and again no hassles. My flights were all Delta, his a mixture of Delta and KLM (code share partners)

Was that on a flight FROM SANTIAGO?

The topic of the thread is:
year 2016,
Ryanair,
FROM Dublin Ireland,
TO a destination on the European continent (Biaritz or Bilbao?).
Two people answered who had been on such flights recently.

just some general advise on taking my walking poles along on my Camino .

Thanks for all your posts on the subject I will take them in my pack and hope for the best

You didn't start anything negative, just all part of the great pole debate...second only to the footwear challenge, and only slightly more heated than the early vs. late riser controversy. About the only safe question relates to which back pack to wear:)

I think all of this conflicting info reflects what studies of airport security have shown...it relies on humans, some of whom are lax, and others overly rigid. You can expect those humans to lean toward more rigid in countries/cities that are high value targets, or have been recently threatened or attacked. But even in those some may be lax, or in a low-priority city some may be the most rigid ruler follower imaginable. IMHO, if I think something might not make it though security and get left behind (like poles) it gets checked just to be sure it doesn't end up confiscated and/or i miss my flight. Even if someone else managed to get theirs past security last month or last year. Not worth the possibility of my carbon fibre z poles getting tossed in some TSA box as I run to catch my flight.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Was that on a flight FROM SANTIAGO?

The topic of the thread is:
year 2016,
Ryanair,
FROM Dublin Ireland,
TO a destination on the European continent (Biaritz or Bilbao?).
Two people answered who had been on such flights recently.

No need to SHOUT :(

The OPs question was of a general nature.
I am not sure experience of a specific flight sector is that helpful, as it merely shares experience of that sector, on that specific date. Things change. And aspects of flight security can be rather fluid at times. I was merely advising to 'be prepared' to have them refused. I thought it helpful advice. You obviously disagree, as is your right.

Sorry to have popped my head out from under my rock. :oops:

Poles checked by themselves tend to get lost - I travel with a pack small enough to be considered a carry on, so I check a bag containing trekking poles and pocketknife. It invariably gets lost (possibly due to small, irregular size) and I have to buy a new pair on arrival. The airlines have been good at getting them back to my home within a couple of weeks where I'm amassing a nice collection (the original barely used set I purchased in the US and all the replacements I've had to buy in Spain).

Next month I'm experimenting with packing them in the maximum allowable size box padded with bubble wrap in the hope they don't get overlooked in the hold.
it may be more cost than you want, but I put mine in a small sized hard-sided suitcase, then once in Spain mailed the suitcase to SdC to hold for me...souvenirs helped fill up the space on the way home, along with pack. I worry that irregularly shaped items like boxes get misplaced. When they stopped letting me carry my weapons (Aikido) bag onto flights, it got misplaced about half the time I traveled with it...the long narrow bag must not have fit well in their system.

Just a quick "aside" on this matter and emphasize the importance of poles. This August my brother Tom and myself were walking the camino just outside Los Arcos, we had a little wager (600 euro) for charity on who would win the most stages, I was one stage ahead at this point. When we neared the sign at the entrance of Los Arcos Tom suddenly increased his speed, sharp eyed, I started to run backpack and all next thing I knew I was falling on the gravel the stick broke my fall as Tom trotted by he kicked sand in my face.

Poles are extremely important for defence and protection against competetive brothers hence the tale of Cain and Abel.

P.S. I was tripped.

€83,-
No need to SHOUT :(

The OPs question was of a general nature.
I am not sure experience of a specific flight sector is that helpful, as it merely shares experience of that sector, on that specific date. Things change. And aspects of flight security can be rather fluid at times. I was merely advising to 'be prepared' to have them refused. I thought it helpful advice. You obviously disagree, as is your right.

Sorry to have popped my head out from under my rock. :oops:

A "yes" or "no" would have been sufficient as a reply to my question ;). It was a flight from Santiago then, wasn't it?

As mentioned earlier in this and other threads, they have a policy of not allowing poles as carry-on.

Last edited:
Excuse me :oops:

I'm not going to research every country but for the Americans here the TSA website says hiking poles are only allowed in checked baggage.

Ok, resume fight. :eek:

Edit for nonbelievers: https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_home.aspx

My guess is most countries are similar in policy...anecdotal success in getting poles on when 1 in hundreds of thousands of passengers are traveling with them fails in SdC airport when most are traveling with them. My guess:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The problem is simply that the TSA agents in the USA interpret the policy as allowing them as carry on....despite what everyone posts from the website.

@peregrina2000 , myself, my wife, and many friends have carried them on board in our packs for many years. Some years several times. None of us have ever been questioned let alone denied. Despite the TSA website or calls to a TSA telephone operator.
It seems to be that those who insist that you cannot carry them on board are reading the website.
Those of us who actually do carry them on have no problems.
We really don't care if anyone checks them or not...just trying to set the facts straight when someone posts that they are not allowed.

I suspect that a zealous agent sometime may require you to check them...but still do not know of a first person report of anyone with poles in pack with rubber tips being denied.
Just our actual experience.
If you have not tried and been denied then it would seem difficult to claim otherwise.

Golly gosh, a lot of heat has been generated on this thread. Can we all be kind to each other please, not take things too personally, and perhaps also have a sense of proportion. this is a very first-world problem.

€149,-
the TSA website says hiking poles are only allowed in checked baggage.
Ok, resume fight. :eek:
Edit for nonbelievers: https://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_home.aspx
Perhaps there was more on the site that I didn't find, but I looked on that link and all I determined was that "Sports equipment that can be used as a bludgeon (such as bats and clubs) is prohibited in the cabin of the plane." That leaves considerable room for judgement.

In most cases I've heard of, the skinny poles that fold to a length of 14" have not been considered in this category. Even where hiking poles are specifically mentioned, no definition of "hiking pole" is given, and the illustrations all shown sturdy non-collapsible poles.

The rules are not absolutely clear and inarguable, as most rules are not. It is a situation that is very easily managed. Check your poles, or go prepared to check them.

Perhaps there was more on the site that I didn't find, but I looked on that link and all I determined was that "Sports equipment that can be used as a bludgeon (such as bats and clubs) is prohibited in the cabin of the plane." That leaves considerable room for judgement.

In most cases I've heard of, the skinny poles that fold to a length of 14" have not been considered in this category. Even where hiking poles are specifically mentioned, no definition of "hiking pole" is given, and the illustrations all shown sturdy non-collapsible poles.

The rules are not absolutely clear and inarguable, as most rules are not. It is a situation that is very easily managed. Check your poles, or go prepared to check them.
The part that is important is "sports equipment that can be used as a bludgeon" ...such as bats and clubs is not an all inclusive statement.
What is important is you type in hiking pole it says checked.
I understand people want to believe it's ok to take them as carryon. Do people get away with it...it appears so. Do I care if anyone else does--no. Do I want to miss my flight or lose my poles--no. Just answering the question asked "is it ok"...
Edited because I was inappropriately rude. I very sorry. I'd blame the illness that has given me too much time this week to see what's been happening in Camino land, but basically I'm not very nice anyway.
Again sorry.

Last edited:
A "yes" or "no" would have been sufficient as a reply to my question ;). It was a flight from Santiago then, wasn't it?

As mentioned earlier in this and other threads, they have a policy of not allowing poles as carry-on.

I shall surrender myself to the 'Forum Police' first thing in the morning :oops:
My sincere apologies for trying to provide helpful information, without being fully qualified to do so. A shameful act!
What was I thinking? I should have read every post in the thread to ensure that my facts were correct and fully aligned with the question, posed not just by the OP, but others that followed.
I have buckled under your interrogation.
I shall ban myself from the forum for a period of no less than 4 weeks as punishment. :(
Maybe even longer......
Just stepping out to wash my hair :D
Play nice now......

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

just some general advise on taking my walking poles along on my Camino Thanks for all your posts on the subject I will take them in my pack and hope for the best

Hi @kerrychick, based on my experience, I expect you'll have no bother at Dublin airport. You may however be asked to check them in on the return journey. Best of luck!

I understand people want to believe it's ok to take them as carryon but it's not. Do people get away with it...it appears so. Since I take polygraphs for my job do I want to knowingly violate this government safety policy, no. Do I care if anyone else does--no. Do I want to miss my flight or lose my poles--no. Just answering the question asked "is it ok"...
@Smallest_Sparrow, like you are doing now, I once would get very exercised over this, and repeatedly pointed out many of the things you have here. You are correct, but can I tell you it won't make any difference. Those who are prepared to break the law will continue to do so, others won't. Save your energy for a topic where you can make a difference.

€149,-
Aren't we all Kathar1na, aren't we all. But at least it has been a useful rehearsal for the next time someone posts this question :rolleyes:
:D. I've vowed again, for the umpteenth time of course, to stay out of these threads. Right now, I'm a bit pumped up because there was a huge demonstration yesterday evening passing the street next to my office, against two yet to be signed international trade treaties that have been in our news lately ... Therefore, even more reason to stay mum when I'm not in my usual calm and rational state of mind and a bit emotionally charged instead, about the question of which kind of legal provisions are or will be in place, what they really mean in practical terms and what is best for us and for them. :);):rolleyes:

Last edited:
Lets hope I am as luckey as Nuala and get my poles to Spain
after that i am happy to leave them behind.
Buen Camino to one and all.:D

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I am puzzled by some of the replies in this thread.

Aren't we all Kathar1na, aren't we all. But at least it has been a useful rehearsal for the next time someone posts this question :rolleyes:

Puzzled?? Confused??? "...Aren't we all." ....

It seems a good time to once again put this subject to bed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.