• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking poles or not

cjm

Hi - can I have thoughts on if walking/hiking poles would help with the walk? I was thinking of taking a pair of light weight adjustable poles. CJM

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hola CJM,
Depends on age, fitness and preference. I used them (Leki) last time and will use them again later this year. Found them great for the muddy and uneven surfaces and when my knee gave trouble.
Buen Camino
Col

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used one and loved it. Some people I saw used two, others none. Mine was collapsible so I could put it away when I needed to. If you use one, do some hiking/walking with it before hand to get comfortable with it.

'Solvitur Ambulando'
- St. Augustine

@abbeydore: what is special about pacerpoles? very curious: there seems to be something unique, but i can not really figure out what it is.
ria

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
ria said:
@abbeydore: what is special about pacerpoles? very curious: there seems to be something unique, but i can not really figure out what it is.
ria

Well, the 'grip' is amazing, and because of the angle your wrist is @ the right angle, & therefore less stress, I was a Leki man but not anymore. I think you need to watch the videos, buy the poles ,then watch the videos again. The help you to walk tall, not in a stoop or bent back, our spine needs to be upright.

If you put you arm out look @ your hand as if it's got a pole in it, it's not upright it's @ angle. When you get your poles & try them for the first time you'll think they were made for you! Sounds silly I know......... :)

We are both taking our Pacerpoles.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I walked from Arles to Santiago and didn't use walking poles. I find them an encumbrance when I want to look at maps, use the camera, blow my nose etc... The terrain doesn't warrant them either, in my opinion, as the camino is on good track or road most of the way, without steep gradients. I use one walking stick in the UK mind you, but that is because the footpaths are rougher and to keep farm animals away if necessary.

look at maps, use the camera, blow my nose etc.
I am able to accomplish all these with my poles dangling from the wrist straps, so the poles are not major physical barriers to activity (as to mental barriers, I just don't know).

The benefit of trekking poles is not conquering difficult terrain. They are at their most inconvenient when doing a rock scramble. The benefit comes from the reduced impact on hips, knees, and ankles. If you were able to analyze these joints after 20 years of using or not using trekking poles, you would find that they have prevented considerable deterioration. For one long walk in a lifetime? Well, maybe they won't make much of a difference.

I am at a loss why anyone would try to talk someone out of using trekking poles. They have proven benefits when used properly, and really do not intrude on others, metal tip clicking aside. By all means, leave them at home if you don't want to use them, but I do not see the purpose in trying to convince others to leave them at home.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
To each his own. Falcon swears by using two walking sticks, I usually don't use any. Despite the "proven benefits" it seems to me that the majority of pilgrims on the routes don't feel the need to use two poles.

Best regards

John

Thanks for your post Johnnie, we personally are one stick folk (wooden, rubber tipped and cut to our personal needs).
One stick we find very useful to lean on when balancing alonside muddy puddles :lol: (Camino Primitivo 2010!!!)

If money is tight, as it is for many, then buying sticks/poles etc for the Camino seems perhaps to be an unnecessary expense. I was told many years ago that it is forcing ones walking speed that damages joints, which means not walking that little bit too fast just to keep up with your companions rather than buying poles just for the Camino.

As ever it is all personal choice etc
Buen Camino all

Nicholas Moody said:
The terrain doesn't warrant them either, in my opinion, as the camino is on good track or road most of the way, without steep gradients.
As a newbie I'm forced to ask if that also holds going over the Pyrenees from SJPdP?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well until you have used pacerpoles you'll never really know how good good poles are & yes you can go over a stile with them & efficiently; you can have your camera mounted on the poles too, so if anything your pics will be better for having no vibration, you can control your speed, going uphill is a pleasure; breathing properly or better is obviously a major advantage; as Heather of Pacerpole designer/owner etc says, shoulders back & walk tall.......

Going April 1st........so will report back............
After 3 months on my P/Poles, to date, they are coming on my Camino, I am pretty sure my poles will keep me off my hands & knees. And will arrive in Santiago better for poles than no poles :lol:ing & :)ing.

JohnnieWalker said:
To each his own. Falcon swears by using two walking sticks, I usually don't use any. Despite the "proven benefits" it seems to me that the majority of pilgrims on the routes don't feel the need to use two poles.

Best regards

John
images

Can see one pole @ least :) ....a bit short too
You are right .......to each his own.
We enjoyed our poles today, twice around the block, quite fun really cause you can stop for a cuppa coffee with boots off, then off for next lap, sounds daft; but a little like doing Camino, regular stops in bars, cafes etc, get feet dry again, then off. We just need to multi-ply by 3 and then that's a good day.......2.5months to go!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In 2004 a Leki pushed firmly, quickly and desperately into the ground saved me falling down a steep hillside.

If you have two poles and bend slightly forward while going up hills, moving the sticks just a short distance at a time, your upper body is taking up to one third of the weight of your body. If, like me, you have health issues, this is a considerable aid to getting up the hills without the continuous need to keep stopping.

I have walked across the Pyernees twice and wouldn't dream of not taking sticks with me.

Beside all of that practical nonsense a couple of walking poles makes me look dead cool in the photos. :lol:

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:
In 2004 a Leki pushed firmly, quickly and desperately into the ground saved me falling down a steep hillside.

If you have two poles and bend slightly forward while going up hills, moving the sticks just a short distance at a time, your upper body is taking up to one third of the weight of your body. If, like me, you have health issues, this is a considerable aid to getting up the hills without the continuous need to keep stopping.

I have walked across the Pyernees twice and wouldn't dream of not taking sticks with me.

Beside all of that practical nonsense a couple of walking poles makes me look dead cool in the photos. :lol:

Hope you mean 'Real Cool' :lol: Pacerpoles will make your day, going uphill today with little steps powering from the shoulders, yep it's real cool, no complaints here, roll-on April 1st

methodist.pilgrim.98 said:

The Route Napoleon is on tarmac and a country path. There is no rock climbing or mountaineering. I walked over it in one go without a stick. In saying that I have picked up a stick occasionally and used it for downhill walking but I would never contemplate using two sticks.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Started with two old fashioned collapsable Leki's last year on the CF. More a nuisance to me than anything else. Got rid of one in Vilamayor de Monjardin ( later met the lady who found mine and was happy with it ).
Only used the other one when walking downhill ( felt I only needed it really when going down into Molinaseca ). So I think I can do without.
Not sure if I will take the Leki on the Camino Ingles this April?

JohnnieWalker said:
I would never contemplate using two sticks.
And I don't doubt about walking with two sticks.
I am very sensitive for tendonits, and walking with two sticks relieves every step.

Ultreya,
Carli Di Bortolo.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My beloved Leki's saved me from slipping into a stream in the Yukon Territory, enabled me to scramble down a steep, rocky slope at Anza Borrego and prevented a slide off a scree strewn trail here at home in the Mt. Diablo foothills. I'll definitely bring them along on the Camino. One thing that works well for me is wearing bicycle gloves when using the poles. The gloves really increase the comfort and stability. For the record, I'm a woman of a certain age--over fifty!

cjm said:
Hi - can I have thoughts on if walking/hiking poles would help with the walk? I was thinking of taking a pair of light weight adjustable poles. CJM
I am an advocate of using poles, and have written on this elsewhere previously, including my observation that the benefits are about the physics of pole use. Pushing down on the poles reduces the load on the lower limb joints, pushing back makes one go faster and pushing forwards brakes one's progress. In any one step, at least two of these effects are achieved.

As a third or fourth contact point, they assist one stay stable in difficult circumstances, such as when one's feet have lost good contact with the ground, or the ground they have made contact with has unfortunately decided not to stay still!

I have also observed that a lot of people don't know how to make best use of the features of technical poles. Instead of using the wrist strap to push down on the pole, they clench the handgrip instead, which eventually tires out the muscles that do that. There are a number of good explanations on how to use the hand grip and wrist strap, but the best I have seen recently is on the Leki USA site at http://www.leki.com/trekking/videos.php - click on the video titled 'How To Adjust Your LEKI Poles And Straps'.

When I walked the Camino Frances (2010) I used poles the whole way. That's about a million steps, and even if I only took the equivalent of a couple of kilograms weight off my knees at each step, that quickly adds up to an impressive amount.

My advice - if you are going to take technical poles, learn to use them so that you can use them all day and every day. If you don't think you will do that, buy a simple pilgrim staff at the start - you will be a bit more stable and won't have wasted the money on a set of technical features you don't have practice using, and will end up frustrating you.

Regards,

ps I usually wear a pair of fingerless work gloves, or occasionally bicycle gloves.
pps baby boomer

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I am sixty-one years old and I completed my Camino in 2011. I walk without poles. I never found using poles comfortable and could not get into a good walking stride with them. On the other hand, my 65 yr. old husband loves walking poles. For the Camino he used only one pole.

I'm 59 and will be 60 in August! :shock:
Is that TRUE!? YIKES!

Anyway, first Camino I used a stick I got in SJPP.
Worked great.

Second Camino I used pacer poles.
Worked great but I worried about them being stolen or lost.

Third Camino - I haven't decided.
I'm leaning toward just buying a stick in SJPP because I'll be in Europe for 5 months, flying around from Spain to Amsterdam to Wales and back to Spain and don't want to have to mess with worrying about them. Joe reminds me they will collapse small enough to fit in my pack. We'll see... haven't decided.

I'd say if your budget is tight, just pick up a stick in SJPP for under 6 euros.
It will work fine.
If you can afford the cost, buy poles.

It is obvious from these posts that walking poles are simply a personal choice. They work well for those who like them and are just a nuisance for many others.

There are those who are really enthusiastic about them and cannot seem to believe that they are not for everyone. :wink: This seems to be doubled when it comes to "Pacer" poles.

I have not used poles in the past but have tried. I never seem to be able to get a proper rhythm and end up just having to carry them except for a very few downhill sections. I did buy a very expensive pair of folding carbon fiber poles. They weigh about 5 oz so will not be much added weight if I don't/can't use them. They fold quite small and can easily fit inside pack.
I will give them one more chance...at least they will be light if they stay in my pack this time.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
David,

Did your mother not teach you that it is impolite to ask a lady her age?.

However times have changed and so have manners, so it is O.K.

Let me tell you the last time I saw 58 was a long time ago, and that was on the front of a bus.

But seriously , according to my birth certificate I am 68. But various parts of my body disagree with that.

My knees and various other joints plead old age, but my heart tells me I have just turned 25. I like this age and intend keeping it for at least another 15 years.

Seeing as 'alziemers' is knocking at the door I think it is best to keep to same age and not keep changing it every year, which can be so very very confusing!!

I'll keep using my poles and taking my tablets and I'll get to Santiago with the help of a couple of policemen.

Beun Camino to all whether you use poles or not.

Although I walk several miles per day with our dog, never thought of poles until my friend and I planed the camino del Norte last year and I have to say that it was my best investment to the point that I now use them every day for my walks and find they help you with posture as well as distribution of body weight ensuring less wear on the joints, I will take then with me on the Portuguese Camino this year. I am 57 by the way. 8)
Cote

Lydia Gillen said:
David,

Did your mother not teach you that it is impolite to ask a lady her age?.

Lydia, you're right, & my mother did teach me, but occasionally I'm cheeky :mrgreen: , & then you do have a young smile :)
I have talking knees or is that singing, you wouldn't like the tunes they play, very jazz like, doing their own solo :lol:

grayland said:
It is obvious from these posts that walking poles are simply a personal choice. They work well for those who like them and are just a nuisance for many others.

There are those who are really enthusiastic about them and cannot seem to believe that they are not for everyone. :wink: This seems to be doubled when it comes to "Pacer" poles.

I have not used poles in the past but have tried. I never seem to be able to get a proper rhythm and end up just having to carry them except for a very few downhill sections. I did buy a very expensive pair of folding carbon fiber poles. They weigh about 5 oz so will not be much added weight if I don't/can't use them. They fold quite small and can easily fit inside pack.
I will give them one more chance...at least they will be light if they stay in my pack this time.

& your age bracket? :)
Good Luck practicing.........

grayland said:

Grayland, my husband had trouble getting into his poling rhythm until we started singing while we tramped! That seemed to help a lot. Also, we have a great DVD that we used to learn techniques for uphill and downhill. I'll post the title when I get home.

The Route Napoleon is on tarmac and a country path. There is no rock climbing or mountaineering. I walked over it in one go without a stick. In saying that I have picked up a stick occasionally and used it for downhill walking but I would never contemplate using two sticks.

It is also over some rather large hills where two sticks take the weight off my legs.

There is also a short cut through the woods behind Roncesvalles which is steep and can be muddy.

1998 I was 41. 2004 I was 47. On 17th January I hit 55.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
How strongly do the Pacerpole user love them as opposed to other brands? Is the titled handle as much of a plus as it looks? And if you had two poles could you possibly share one with a walking partner at times? I'm thinking I might need to give my knees a break from time to time.

Pacer Poles are left and right, so they are not interchangeable between hands. Splitting the pair would be interesting, but probably defeat the purpose for which they were designed - to be used in pairs to improve stride, reduce load on both feet, and promote an upright posture. I think they are better, but there is nothing wrong with other trekking poles used properly.

I love love LOVE my pacer poles!
YES, they are quite different.
I tried using my ex's Leki's this week and really noticed a difference.
You can LEAN on the pacers which you can't do on the Leki's.
You learn to balance the pacers on a finger.. and well... they're just awesome.

I warn you, however, I cringed when I was not allowed to take them into one albergue because of a (to me- silly) rule. They wanted me to leave them in a bin next to an open door by an alley. Having just passed through a town where someone had their expensive poles stolen, I declined and found private lodging.

So... that's a consideration too.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Labtails said:
How strongly do the Pacerpole user love them as opposed to other brands? Is the titled handle as much of a plus as it looks? And if you had two poles could you possibly share one with a walking partner at times? I'm thinking I might need to give my knees a break from time to time.

Well Labtails, I had used Leki poles for many years, & enjoyed them, & trusted them, only Alloy then, we never had rubber feet in those days. I have only used Pacerpoles for a few months, I'm a convert, the angle is a big plus, the grip too. These are carbon so very light. Their service is great & can sort out spares. They tell you why you don't need a spring in the pole. They teach you how to use them. For me I don't find or have not as yet found the perfect way to come down hill. They are very comfortable & make going uphill a lot easier. I first bought them for my partner who is not really a co-ordinated type person, soon I could not keep up; she loves them, they help lots with her arthritic 'frame'. They certainly help if you set the poles @ the correct length, to keep your posture upright. So on that basis alone one must arrive in a less fatigued state than would otherwise.

Carbon poles are lighter, but remember that if one breaks, it is gone. With metal, if they bend, you can still use them in most cases. One pilgrim stepped on his carbon pole and had to buy a pair of replacements. He chose aluminum the second time.

Lots of very good points to consider, better posture, bending , breaking, left/right hand grips,and I would never leave them in a bin in an alley. I'm pretty athletic so hopefully can learn to use the poles correctly & get a good rythme going. I think I will get a pair to try out. I have plenty of time to practice & then can decide if I take then to Spain with me or not.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Labtails said:
Lots of very good points to consider, better posture, bending , breaking, left/right hand grips,and I would never leave them in a bin in an alley. I'm pretty athletic so hopefully can learn to use the poles correctly & get a good rythme going. I think I will get a pair to try out. I have plenty of time to practice & then can decide if I take then to Spain with me or not.

Well Done Labtails, let us know how you get on, good & not so good

Click, click, click, click....I walked the camino del norte last year. Challenging for a 64 year old little lady with no walking experience! I did not use poles, just an old wooden staff. Yes, there are parts where the staff was useful, but I shall never believe that the walking poles are necessary and, frankly, they look ridiculous on the roads - of which there are quite a few to tramp. f you are going to hike a mountain, maybe they will be helpful, but not on your everyday camino walk. For my age and physical condition,I managed very well indeed without poles and was hopping along happily at 5-6 km per hour after the first week of pain! And with those poles on the road, you can be heard coming for miles, ha ha!!!

aude said:
Click, click, click, click....I walked the camino del norte last year. Challenging for a 64 year old little lady with no walking experience! I did not use poles, just an old wooden staff. Yes, there are parts where the staff was useful, but I shall never believe that the walking poles are necessary and, frankly, they look ridiculous on the roads - of which there are quite a few to tramp. f you are going to hike a mountain, maybe they will be helpful, but not on your everyday camino walk. For my age and physical condition,I managed very well indeed without poles and was hopping along happily at 5-6 km per hour after the first week of pain! And with those poles on the road, you can be heard coming for miles, ha ha!!!
Each of those clicks on the road is a little weight off one's knees if the pole is being used correctly. Your view that they might look ridiculous might be preventing you from taking advantage of this major benefit of using technical poles.

Yes they can be noisy, but don't need to be. Leki, Komperdell and others all make a rubber walking foot that eliminates that noise. Currently I am using one of my sets of poles with rubber feet for a walking stick to see how effective that is. These are from a half to a third of the price of the specialist tips.

Regards,

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
aude said:

I suspect height and body mass has a big effect on how useful poles can be due to the leverage exerted on the joints. I'm tall and reasonably skinny and for the best part of 40 years always used to go up steps two at a time because it was quicker and easier; what seemed a good idea at the time of course has now given me bad knees. Poles are proving to be very useful on the flat (though some received web wisdom says they shouldn't) and downhill but I haven't really got the hang of uphill with them yet. I wasn't at all keen on the idea of poles but necessity is the mother of experimentation so picked a brand that offer a money back scheme and was able to give them a go, finding that for my needs they're not snake oil. As long as my knees aren't hurting and it delays the need to have them replaced then I can cope with looking ridiculous to others. :)

Those who are shorter and\or less stout may perhaps be fortunate in not having sufficient stress on the knees to see any benefit.

aude said:
Click, click, click, click....I walked the camino del norte last year. Challenging for a 64 year old little lady with no walking experience! I did not use poles, just an old wooden staff. Yes, there are parts where the staff was useful, but I shall never believe that the walking poles are necessary ........
With you here Aude. We are one (curved top) wooden staff fans too. Just do not want a pair of walking poles and will not be wasting our money on them. We manage very happily with our long sticks and we too are in our 60s. Blessed with good joints and not carrying overweight packs, slow walkers so less strain on hips and knees.
Buen Camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
sharmuk said:
snip
Poles are proving to be very useful on the flat (though some received web wisdom says they shouldn't) and downhill but I haven't really got the hang of uphill with them yet.
snip

Those who are shorter and\or less stout may perhaps be fortunate in not having sufficient stress on the knees to see any benefit.
The physics of pole use is pretty simple. You can exert a certain force on the wrist strap (or through gripping the handle if you are not using the pole properly) which can be resolved into two components - one in line with your body and taking some weight off your lower joints, and the other pushing you along (or braking your descent). As you alter the angle of the pole, so too do you change the ratio of lift to thrust. The longer the pole, the greater the pole is away from the vertical, the less lift and more thrust. The benefits don't change whether you are walking on the flat, up- or downhill.

If you don't have the hang of using them uphill, try shortening the poles so that your forearms are closer to being parallel to the ground, and not reaching up so much. On steep downhills, it might also be worth trying extending the poles.
Regards,

Well going up-hill can be amazing with pacerpoles, you don't need to shorten them, took me ages to realize this; one tends to push(-up) rather take the weight.
http://www.pacerpole.com/pacerpole-user ... ic-ascents
Heather in the video is very fit & i would suggest us mortals use a much smaller stride, you'll be amazed how easy & quick this is once you crack the rhythm..........as she says the pole doesn't go past the mid-point of the opposite boot.

Clearly the decision for poles, staffs, wooden, carbon, one or two is all a very personal preferrence. Have just ordered a pair of REI adjustable poles with cork handles to test out. My situation is that I walk well on the flat. My concern is that I had knee surgery three years back & it may be trouble with walking many miles for many consecutive days. I don't want to get midway along the Camino del Norte and wish I had brought poles. I will have the rubber feet to keep the noise down. The clicking would be a negative for me.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Even if science has fallen out of favor with some who hold strong opinions, here is the science of trekking poles for the rest of us:
How Trekking-Poles Help Hikers Maintain Muscle Function While Reducing Soreness
Science Daily (June 2, 2010) — A study by academics at Northumbria University has shown for the first time that trekking-poles help hikers maintain muscle function while significantly reducing soreness in the days following a hike.

In the study, 37 physically active men and women were split into two groups of equal fitness and asked to hike up and down Snowdon, the highest mountain in England and Wales.

One group was issued with and trained in the use of trekking poles while the other group made the climb unaided. Each group ate the same evening meal on the night before; they ate the same breakfast, carried similar weight in day packs and took the same scheduled rests during both the ascent and descent.

The participants' heart rates and their personal perceived exertion ratings were recorded during the hike. Then, at the end of the hike, and at 24-, 48- and 72-hour intervals afterwards, muscle damage and function were assessed through a variety of tests.

The results showed that there was significantly less muscle soreness in the group using trekking poles. This group demonstrated a reduced loss of strength and a faster recovery immediately after the trek compared to the control group. Self-rated soreness peaked at 24-hours in both groups but was significantly lower in the trekking-pole group, both at this point and at the 48-hour point. In addition, levels of the enzyme creatine kinase (which indicates muscle damage) were much higher at the 24-hour point in the non-pole group, while the trekking-pole group's levels were close to the pre-trekking levels. This shows that the muscle damage they were experiencing was negligible.

Pole manufacturers have suggested that trekking poles can reduce forces on lower-limb joints by as much as 25 %. However, the existing research has been restricted to the laboratory or to non-mountainous outdoor settings, such as running tracks, and has only focused on biomechanical investigations into stress on the ankle, knee and hip. This is the first documented study into the effectiveness of trekking poles in the environments for which they were designed.

"The results present strong evidence that trekking poles reduce, almost to the point of complete disappearance, the extent of muscle damage during a day's mountain trek," says Dr Glyn Howatson, who conducted the study.

"Preventing muscle damage and soreness is likely to improve motivation and so keep people enjoying the benefits of exercise for longer. Perhaps even more advantageously, the combined benefits of using trekking poles in reducing load to the lower limbs, increasing stability and reducing muscle damage could also help avoid injury on subsequent days trekking. It is often the reduced reaction time and position sense, associated with damaged muscles that cause the falls and trips that can lead to further injury in mountainous or uneven terrain.

"These findings have particularly strong application for exercisers wishing to engage in consecutive days' activity in mountainous terrain."
I still have my stave with all its medallions, but I don't confuse it with serious equipment. It pretty much stays in the umbrella stand.

Falcon, you've convinced me. Poles it is (the lightweight/super dooper/screw together/homemade bamboo poles... (which I intended to leave at home :D )

Abbeydore said:
Well going up-hill can be amazing with pacerpoles, you don't need to shorten them, took me ages to realize this; one tends to push(-up) rather take the weight.
Heather in the video is very fit & i would suggest us mortals use a much smaller stride, you'll be amazed how easy & quick this is once you crack the rhythm..........as she says the pole doesn't go past the mid-point of the opposite boot.
I wouldn't normally shorten or lengthen my poles for the sort of slopes one might meet on roads and foot paths in urban areas, but for steeper gradients, doing so is worthwhile, and the Pacerpoles site suggests the same thing.

Its not clear to me what you mean by 'take the weight'. The only time I recall that term being used in a sporting context is the tug-of-war, and that is about pulling against a resistance, which doesn't make sense in the context of a walking pole. I know that when I am using poles, I am pushing down using the heel of my hand and wrist against the strap. This action can be maintained all day, unlike any action that requires a handle to be continually gripped.

In training, I keep my poles very slightly longer, and normally the point makes contact level with the opposite heel unless I a negotiating tricky ground, when the point is placed where it can best aid my stability.

The point on stepping short going uphill is just as good advice when going downhill. A shorter step in both circumstances keeps the angles through which the hip, knee and ankle joints have to travel smaller, and reduces the load on these joints.

Regards,

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Here's a question I didn't get from watching a ad video. When walking with two poles how much pressure should one apply downward on the poles with each contact to the ground? This may sound an odd question, but on my first outting I found my shoulders getting tired/sore. I think I was trying to press doward too much. But if one doesn't press downward at all them it is not taking pressure off one's knees.

Am I totally off base here? Need advice on polling technique. Thanks.

Labtails said:
Here's a question I didn't get from watching a ad video. When walking with two poles how much pressure should one apply downward on the poles with each contact to the ground? This may sound an odd question, but on my first outting I found my shoulders getting tired/sore. I think I was trying to press doward too much. But if one doesn't press downward at all them it is not taking pressure off one's knees.

Am I totally off base here? Need advice on polling technique. Thanks.
My advice is to put as much pressure on as you find comfortable. IF you haven't used poles, or haven't used them for a while, you can expect some exercise effects as you tone the muscle mass in your arms and shoulders. As your muscle tone improves, you will find it easier and easier to keep going longer and with higher pressures.

I find the amount of pressure varies. Using sprung poles from Altus or Komperdell, I rarely get full deflection of the spring on the flat, but will if I am going fast downhill :). Fizan have softer springs, and when I used them, I was always getting the full deflection, and eventually the springs collapsed.

There's no right or wrong amount, but listen to your body, and if you are getting sore, ease up a bit.

ps - I am still looking for a sprung pole where the spring doesn't eventually collapse. Fizan have been the worst, and while the retailer replaced the pole, it happened again, so I moved on to other makes. So far, the Altus and Komperdell poles are showing promise, but until the point of collapse, so did the others I have tried. Have others had this problem?

dougfitz said:
Abbeydore said:
I wouldn't normally shorten or lengthen my poles for the sort of slopes one might meet on roads and foot paths in urban areas, but for steeper gradients, doing so is worthwhile, and the Pacerpoles site suggests the same thing.

Its not clear to me what you mean by 'take the weight'. The only time I recall that term being used in a sporting context is the tug-of-war, and that is about pulling against a resistance, which doesn't make sense in the context of a walking pole. I know that when I am using poles, I am pushing down using the heel of my hand and wrist against the strap. This action can be maintained all day, unlike any action that requires a handle to be continually gripped.

In training, I keep my poles very slightly longer, and normally the point makes contact level with the opposite heel unless I a negotiating tricky ground, when the point is placed where it can best aid my stability.

The point on stepping short going uphill is just as good advice when going downhill. A shorter step in both circumstances keeps the angles through which the hip, knee and ankle joints have to travel smaller, and reduces the load on these joints.

Regards,

Doug,
Until you've tried Pacerpoles you'll never really know how good they are, you could say they are over the top for the Camino, I'll let you know in about 4 weeks when we hopefully have got to Santiago,
With Pacerpoles going up hill I find that I'm pushing with the pole mainly behind me; from my memory using 'leki' type poles you are pulling with your hand/wrist firmly taking the strain/taking the weight strap.
Because of the hand grip(on p's) you don't do jaring actions going up or down, you tend use the movement of you arm/wrist to take the pressure.
Never did like those springs, like sure footing & the tungsten tip gives that, the rubber foot is good too. Afterall you are allowed to order pacerpoles & if a good going over you are allowed to send them back too, for a refund, my experience is that they are very honest people, & will help you get to grips with your poles, where they are now talking about people with short & long strides & how to adjust to suit....& you are lucky cause I think they don't charge to send to Aust. you could get them from Aarn I see.

Good Luck
David

Abbeydore said:
Until you've tried Pacerpoles you'll never really know how good they are, you could say they are over the top for the Camino, I'll let you know in about 4 weeks when we hopefully have got to Santiago,
David,
I went over the material on the Pacer Poles site again, and my difficulty is that I cannot see that the design achieves any significant advantages over a conventional design where someone has been properly instructed in pole use. All of the techniques apart from specifics of the hand grip design are the same as those I have learned and practiced with conventional poles since I first started using two poles in 2004. As far as I can tell:
  • Heather Rhodes has the intellectual understanding of the bio-mechanics of pole use that many of us seem to put into practice without that. That said, I didn't find her longer articles all that easy to read and understand, even when I got out my own poles and tried to replicate the specifics in my lounge room :?
  • It appears to me that the Pacer Pole is almost impossible to use badly. The same cannot be said for a conventional technical pole. I have said on this forum that not using the pole correctly is to effectively replace a simple wooden stick with an expensive metal version of the same thing. A technical pole can be so much more useful but it needs to be used correctly. If anything, this might be Pacer Poles' greatest selling point, but it's not one that is stressed on their web site.
  • The shape of the handgrip might allow the hand and wrist to be in a more natural position compared to one where straight convention pole handle is gripped tightly when in use. This is one of the main issues that arises from incorrect pole technique. If the strap is used correctly, there is no need to grip the handle and the hand and wrist are free to be used at a natural angle.
I would be very interested in your observations following your next Camino. I used a pair of poles all day and every day when I did the Camino in 2010, and didn't get sore wrists, hands or shoulders. My muscles were tired, but at the end of 25km or so, all my muscles were tired. I expect that Pacer Poles will achieve the same outcome, mostly because their design prevents them being used badly.

Regards

Hi Doug,
(hoping your living room carpet has not now got holes :) )

When ever I hand my poles to someone, (after adjusting to their correct height) they go wow, that's amazing; my partner whose posture is not good from her arthritis is a transformed person. The grip 'forces' (encourages) you to walk tall, open your shoulders & breathe a lot better........we both will arrive less knackered.........well that's the theory.

David
ps thank you for your in-put

My Camion buddy suggested getting me a pair. Knee issues were making walking downhill a challenge. But I made do with sticks I found on the side of the path for a good while.

Till we arrived in Palas de Rei, and he bought a pair of hand made wooden poles , small and thin... a kid's size, lol...which he graciously gave me as a present. Coulda had the collapsible high tech ones, but love the old world feel of the wooden ones.

They made all the difference, worked out the upper body as well.

I flew home with them but will probably get the collapsible kind when I return to begin at the beginning, St. Jean Pied de Port.

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks all. Clearly much more pratice is needed. Walking with one pole seemed fairly easy to get the rythme. Walking with two was a bit more tricky. I was spending a lot of attention to pole placement & timing. I need to relax & go, getting a natural pace/rythme.

I'm 30 years old and I bought a pair of walking sticks on Friday. I'm leaving for the Camino in two weeks. EEEK!!!! :mrgreen: I have always had weak knees so along with knee braces I bought these. The salesman told me a woman who had done the Camino last year had come back to thank him for talking her into the purchase. He may have been just trying to make a sale, but I'm glad I have them. Plus they are much more lightweight then I thought they'd be.

sweetlee213 said:
The salesman told me a woman who had done the Camino last year had come back to thank him for talking her into the purchase. He may have been just trying to make a sale
A different salesman but ... he was probably telling the truth. Even though I had been bushwalking for many years, a salesman talked me into buying poles for the Camino. I thanked him on my return.

While the terrain on the Camino is much easier than I am used to, distance walking is very different from day walking. I can't say how much difference the poles made but I do know that my knees and ankles came through unscathed. An added benefit of using poles is that the biceps get a work-out while you walk :)

The Camino gave me the bug for distance walking and my poles always go with me even though I still do daywalks without them.

A couple of months agi I swapped my Fizans for Pacerpoles. Great decision. It only took 10 minutes to get the feel of the new poles and the wrist position was much more natural. Well worth the cost.

At 70+ I always walk with my poles as they give me more balance security. Even the locals ave become used to seeing me with them around the hills. Are they worth the weight penalty? We all have to make the decision about what is 'essential' and for me the additional security when walking on rough ground was worth throwing out the Gordon's Gin - which would not last the journey anyway!

The real test will be SJDP to Roncesvalles next April.

I am starting in SJPP this May...I'm only 20 years old, would you still recommend trekking poles?

I feel like they are a good idea regardless of age, but I'm also a college student on a tight budget. If they aren't something I will use I don't really want to buy them. That being said, I plan to buy them, and I"m willing to spend the $$ if it will prevent injury, I just don't want to buy them then have it be a total waste of money.

There are some steep descents in several places along the Camino. Some also have a loose cobble stone covering that adds to the bad footing. If you injure a knee or ankle, or take a fall, it could be the end of your Camino. On the other hand you may be nimble enough to have no problem. I have been passed by many pilgrims who just skip from one rock to another without the use of trekking poles. Accurately assess your own situation and level of caution, and you will find the right answer.

Buen camino.

Got two poles for £5 in an outdoor shop. Fantastic! Even now I use them for walking around the Cotswolds. I just feel more balanced and safe.
If I'd have lost my poles I would have sat down and cried ! They were my most precious items.
Helen age 55 and a half.

Can't agree more. Went for another training walk today with an extra 1kg in my backpack, but had the dog on a lead so left my poles at home. Walking up local hills was an effort without them......they will be my best friends in 37 days...... :)

Karin

Thanks for this. I have been struggling with my decision to use poles. I haven't used any before in all my walking to prepare for this trip, but my friend swears by them so I decided to give it a try. I struggled and fought with them the whole 3 hours I was out and didn't enjoy the day at all. I am fairly confident that I will not need the poles for the majority of the camino, but I was most worried about the first few days out of SJPP. I appreciate the positive comments you have left regarding not needing the poles. It definitely seems to be the less chosen method.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My poles are my best friends when I am hiking....I have always used them and would not go without them, I did the camino Frances in 2012, did cradle mountain in Tasmania, walk sections of the Bibbulman Track (west Australia) every winter, have done a lot of hiking in Italy and will be doing the camino Primitivo this sept and I have used my poles every time. They were my saviour many a time on the camino Frances. They are so light weight nowadays and fold up to next to nothing for packing in your luggage. I would definitely take some.

Buen Camino

It definitely seems to be the less chosen method.
While probably not half, the number of pilgrims with trekking poles is large. Poles significantly reduce stress on your ankles, knees, and hips. That can be important for surviving weeks three and four after arduous weeks one and two! You do need to learn to use them correctly as with any equipment. I don't recall taking hours to learn them, but you may be giving up too soon. Young folks can bounce from rock to rock, but that can be dangerous as one ages.DSCN0874.JPG

Horses for courses, and there are as many opinions about this as there are forum posters. FWIW, I have used 1 pole, 2 poles, no poles, and tried Pacer poles. The first time over the Route Napoleon, I had a pair of home-made bamboo poles, which I soon threw away, though later on, descending Alto Perdon, I wish I'd kept them. I am, generally, more comfortable walking without poles, but will take one (home-made bamboo) pole next time, for help when going downhill, which , to me, is the biggest problem.
I think, from observing others on the camino, that the majority seem to carry poles as a fashion accessory, and either strap them to their rucsac, or twiddle them around like a major domo.....:)

Thanks for this. I have been struggling with my decision to use poles. I haven't used any before in all my walking to prepare for this trip, but my friend swears by them so I decided to give it a try. I struggled and fought with them the whole 3 hours I was out and didn't enjoy the day at all. I am fairly confident that I will not need the poles for the majority of the camino, but I was most worried about the first few days out of SJPP. I appreciate the positive comments you have left regarding not needing the poles. It definitely seems to be the less chosen method.
If the poles spoil your walking experience then don't feel that you have to take them. I posted this previously
.............We are one (curved top) wooden staff fans too. Just do not want a pair of walking poles and will not be wasting our money on them. We manage very happily with our long sticks and we too are in our 60s. Blessed with good joints and not carrying overweight packs, slow walkers so less strain on hips and knees.
Buen Camino
Two years later we are still using the same curved topped sticks (one each) and will be happily using them again this year. One hand always free, good and strong for bearing weight, enough downhill support to keep us happy etc. Each to his/her own, but personally we have not changed our opinion and still would not want a pair of the 'hiking poles' .

Attachments

• stick length.jpg
    stick length.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 25
Having decided on buying Pacerpoles does anyone have any comments, based on experience, on Alloy versus Carbon for the three section poles?

I will be walking the Camino in September and I decided to buy a pair of trekking poles. I have not used them for walking in the past but I was persuaded to buy a pair by someone who has done the Camino previously. He argued that using these transfers 30 per cent of your weight from your feet and legs to your upper torso, and thus eases the burden on the former. He also said they assisted with balance and stability.

I went to one of the main trekking equipment stores here in Sydney and, after speaking with one of the assistants there, ended up buying a pair of Black Diamond Trail Back trekking poles. These are made of aluminium so their weight is about 575 grams. You can get much lighter carbon poles, which are lighter and more expensive, and I have read many recommendations to take carbon poles on the Camino. I opted for the aluminium ones because the assistant I spoke said that they could be easily bent back into shape if they got bent, whereas carbon ones just shatter under the same circumstances. I'll find out later this year whether I made the right choice.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
He argued that using these transfers 30 per cent of your weight from your feet and legs to your upper torso
I do not think you can expect THAT! I have used trekking poles for a couple of decades, so I am a big fan, but they reduce shock rather than actually carry much weight. When you are stressing and releasing your knees, hips, and ankles with your weight a couple of million times in a month, reducing that stress is invaluable. The weight on your wrist straps momentarily reduces the weight on your legs, so maybe that can be considered a reduction on your feet and legs, but I would need to see the science to set it at 30%.

Buen camino! You will be glad you took the poles, I think. Learn to use them properly before you go. One step, one pole plant to get maximum impact reduction. The 1 1/2 paces per plant gait assists balance, but is giving you full impact on a lot of steps. Avoid the pole waving as illustrated by Joost in "The Way."

Trecking poles are great on mountain trails, but I find them somehow inconvenient at fast pace on flat paths. Nordic walking poles seem to work better. Different grip, different swing though.

Hiked with poles for the first time (in a lifetime of hiking)...loved them! Can't believe I waited this long.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We've got some really nice hiking poles which we used in New Zealand several years ago. Want to use poles again on the Camino, but don't want the trouble of packing them for the plane. I know we can buy some in SJPP, but how expensive will it be to get them in France?

Trecking poles are great on mountain trails, but I find them somehow inconvenient at fast pace on flat paths. Nordic walking poles seem to work better. Different grip, different swing though.

Why? I adjust my grip and swing on the flat and power along.

I bought a pair today! I have been wondering if I should bring poles or not. It is also a pair of Black Diamond, as one of you mentioned. I live in Norway and normally I never use poles. However, I bought a pair many years ago when I was walking in Lake district and later on in the Scottish mountains . I loved the poles! ...and the nature : ).... The poles were at help when climbing the hills, and also downhills. They disappeared on the plane back home and were never found. This time I have bought a pair to fold , so I can put it in my backpack. When I walk without poles I wave my hands and they get swollen. So I look forward to use mine, and I don`t want to excuse myself for using it, but it is certainly not to look smart ....cause I don`t! Today it`s eighteen days untill leaving Norway to walk my first Camino. This time I will be walking alone. Next time I hope it will be together with my husband. Hopefully I will meet some of you. Buen Camino!

I'm 59 and will be 60 in August! :shock:
Is that TRUE!? YIKES!

Anyway, first Camino I used a stick I got in SJPP.
Worked great.

Second Camino I used pacer poles.
Worked great but I worried about them being stolen or lost.

Third Camino - I haven't decided.
I'm leaning toward just buying a stick in SJPP because I'll be in Europe for 5 months, flying around from Spain to Amsterdam to Wales and back to Spain and don't want to have to mess with worrying about them. Joe reminds me they will collapse small enough to fit in my pack. We'll see... haven't decided.

I'd say if your budget is tight, just pick up a stick in SJPP for under 6 euros.
It will work fine.
If you can afford the cost, buy poles.
Can you carry them on the plane?

I do hope so! The long ones had to be spesial luggage. These I hope will be ok to bring in my backpack.

I do hope so! The long ones had to be spesial luggage. These I hope will be ok to bring in my backpack.
Anne, I don't think you'll be able to fly with them in the cabin from all the posts I've read. You could get lucky and get a TSA person who will let you on, but there is a good chance you won't be able to. This is why I don't want to bring mine as it is too much trouble getting them in a container/tube to put them with the belly luggageand then deal with the same thing on the return home, not to mention having them lost.
I hope more people respond who have dealt with this situation. Anybody, Anybody???????

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Why? I adjust my grip and swing on the flat and power along.

Well, perhaps it does not matter much for walking Camino, but technically for proper nordic walking one needs proper poles. The straps are glove like and grip is rather light, just to guide poles, which are supposed to be released at the end of swing. Actually it is very rhythmic way of walking and may serve as a mean to achieve some state of meditation.

I have to do some research on this. Thank you for helpful advice.

There has been plenty of discussion about carrying poles on aircraft. They need to be checked, not carried on as cabin baggage. I check my pack in any case, and on my last trip, just strapped the poles to the side of my pack. When I carried a slightly larger pack I was able to put them inside the pack. So far, I have not had a problem.

There has been plenty of discussion about carrying poles on aircraft. They need to be checked, not carried on as cabin baggage. I check my pack in any case, and on my last trip, just strapped the poles to the side of my pack. When I carried a slightly larger pack I was able to put them inside the pack. So far, I have not had a problem.
You are a brave man Doug. I never check my baggage, especially not before my Camino.

I know there are some who don't trust airlines, but I have never lost baggage. Most of the stories I see reported are not from those who have had their bags lost. I'm sure there is a point of truth somewhere between urban myth and reality out there somewhere, and perhaps I have been fortunate. Moreover, none of the gear that gets checked couldn't be replaced at a good outdoors outfitters, inconvenient as that might be.

My luggage has been lost three times. The first time was the worst. I was sixteen and headed to summer camp in another state. The first two days I had to borrow clothes from my cabinmates. (None of the luggage was ever permanently lost; "delayed" would be a more accurate word.)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Costco is currently selling carbon fiber trekking poles for $29.95

I already had some Black Diamond poles which were closer to $100 from REI, but the Costco poles came with some good ski baskets etc so I picked up a pair. After using them both, the Costco poles are the ones I'm using in France.

I'm no expert when it comes to poles, however, I would like to offer a piece of advice to those who are about to start using them.

Please, please, please, make sure you know how to use them correctly.

I suffered many tumbles, falls, cuts, bruises and funny looks before it dawned on me the straps are for your hands and not your feet ;)

Used walking poles in 2012 on the Camino (last 5 stages) and I'm using them again at the moment (Sarria to Melide). They are invaluable both uphill and more especially downhill. They reduce pressure on legs and feet. On the flat I often just carry them - they are light enough not to be an issue.

€60,-
I used walking poles in 2009 on Camino but also on a variety of other walks over the years including long distance non stop charity walks and wilderness overnighters.

I find them fantastic in taking some of the pressure off my knees on downhill, help me keep balance when on rough terrain and use as support when pushing uphill.
The only time i don't need them is on very flat straight smooth surfaces. Then I put them away or use them to do stretching exercises over my head as I walk along.

I believe there are statistics out there proving then reduce stress on knees and legs by a large percentage.
Make sure you use the straps properly , they are not just there so you don't lose them. You should be putting weight on the straps as you push uphill.

Also using poles means my hands don't swell which they do on long walks if they are simply hanging loose at my sides and not gripping anything.

I vote for the walking sticks. It was a great help to me on Camino. Only negative was that the airlines do not allow it as a carry-on, collapsed or otherwise.

I contacted Norwegian today. I have to check in the poles, although they are small and will go into my backpack, if allouded. However ... they are not. So..it will be spesial luggage and check in, but only the poles. My backpack will go with me as handluggage.
Thanks to all of you sharing experience... I get more and more exited about this journey. So far I have been calm and tried to prepare. Now I have started a countdown and keep talking about Camino France ..... althoug I have a lot to do untill leaving : )

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I contacted Norwegian today. I have to check in the poles, although they are small and will go into my backpack, if allouded. However ... they are not. So..it will be spesial luggage and check in, but only the poles. My backpack will go with me as handluggage.
Thanks to all of you sharing experience... I get more and more exited about this journey. So far I have been calm and tried to prepare. Now I have started a countdown and keep talking about Camino France ..... althoug I have a lot to do untill leaving : )
Glad you checked it out Anne. You must be so excited, just over two weeks to go. Buen Camino. :)

Used walking poles in 2012 on the Camino (last 5 stages) and I'm using them again at the moment (Sarria to Melide). They are invaluable both uphill and more especially downhill. They reduce pressure on legs and feet. On the flat I often just carry them - they are light enough not to be an issue.
I find them as useful reducing the load on my lower joints when they are used on the flat as they are on slopes. I suppose that I take the view that if I am going to carry them, they might as well be useful.

Find yourself a good wooden walking stick. Get one that's long, but not too long. (Taller than you is too long.) Make sure it has a good metal tip otherwise it will mushroom out at the bottom. Sure, trekking poles might give you more balance and take the weight of your pack, but the rule of cool trumps any of those so-called "benefits." :cool:

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I know that there have been way too many posts to this thread , but please allow a comment from a cross-country skier. When I first tried walking with 2 poles, it didn't take long to discover that the poling action was essentially the same as in Nordic skiing: plant the pole beside the leading foot, bear down on the pole and continue to bear down through your stride. The downward force is translated into forward push as your body moves forward while the pole stays planted in the same spot. The effect is to transfer weight from your legs, hips and back onto your arms and shoulders, while lengthening your stride as the poling propels you forward. It is particularly helpful when walking upslope. But the greatest benefit for me (one gimpy knee) is when I walk downslope. Here the action is completely different from horizontal or upslope terrain. In descents, you plant the pole a couple of feet ahead of the lead foot and lean into the pole. This transfers weight from your lower joints onto your shoulders - a welcome relief to the searing pain in my left knee.
One more tip on how to use the wrist straps - put your hand thru the loop from below the strap rather than from above. The straps will go from the handle, under your palm between thumb and forefinger, with the loop on top of your wrist. Now you can pole with a lighter grip on the handle (reducing fatigue in your hand), and at the end of the poling action you can let go your grip entirely, allowing for an extended push, without bending your wrist. Buen Camino!

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.