• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking poles pack shorter

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Several other brands also make trekking poles that will fit inside packs/luggage. Some of these brands also offer multiple styles (ladies, mens, aluminum, carbon fiber, etc) so it pays to search around. There are several options, although most of them are more expensive than the more traditonal poles.

Leki Mico-Vario poles compact down to 15" => http://www.rei.com/product/881626/leki-micro-vario-ti-cor-tec-mens-trekking-poles-pair

Black Diamond's Z Poles are similarly compact (13" to 15") => http://www.rei.com/product/877684/black-diamond-distance-z-pole-trekking-poles-pair

REI's store brand is also of similar configuration => http://www.rei.com/product/884628/rei-carbon-exp-vario-trekking-poles-pair

Easton Mountian Products ultra compact poles => http://www.backcountry.com/easton-m...traW5nIHBvbGVz&skid=EMP000P-ONECOL-LS120140CM

Last edited:
I have the black diamond z poles, and really like them. They are quite quick to pack, and feel sturdy. Easy to fit in a pack. I haven't flown with them yet, just used them on local hikes. Does anyone know Can they be carried on or do they need to be checked?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Does anyone know Can they be carried on or do they need to be checked?
Maybe. Maybe not. Some airline rules say no walking poles, but who is to say whether 13" sticks qualify as walking poles? This answer, of course, is that the security people who look at your poles that day are the ones who say!

I've taken the Black Diamond z poles on my last three caminos but this last walk (Norte) was their last. I put so much weight through them they fused at the joints, and I could not pull them apart, despite every effort. So they did not fold at all! And stayed in Spain.

Just ran across these poles which are 38cm packed length my standard poles measure 65cm.
Never seen poles this short before and as the question of how to carry poles on planes frequently crops up thought this might be a good solution.

I dont think they are released yet but see https://www.alpkit.com/products/compact-ultra-pair
I have the Black Diamond Z poles. Very compact and fit in my pack. Use when I train and on the Caminos English and Portuguese. Take a spare set of tip covers. Other Pilgrims will thank you. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I have the black diamond z poles, and really like them. They are quite quick to pack, and feel sturdy. Easy to fit in a pack. I haven't flown with them yet, just used them on local hikes. Does anyone know Can they be carried on or do they need to be checked?
Buy a set of the rubber tips and install the rubber tips before you pack the poles. It is very likely that they will allow the poles on the flight inside your pack. Not a guarantee, but many people seem to have good luck.

Just ran across these poles which are 38cm packed length my standard poles measure 65cm.
Never seen poles this short before and as the question of how to carry poles on planes frequently crops up thought this might be a good solution.

I dont think they are released yet but see https://www.alpkit.com/products/compact-ultra-pair[/QUSo
Hi I'm new to this site , those poles would be just the thing for me if I'd seen them earlier. I'm not checking in my back pack and was just wondering if it's necessery to bring walking poles or not. I'm going from Santiago to Finisterre to Muxi. Arriving in Santiago 11 Aug. Do you know if you can buy walking poles in Santiago at a reasonable price? Ann

Hi, AZgirl, if you're flying from Arizona to Spain, I think you can be pretty confident that your poles will make it through TSA security checkpoints. I've carried on my hiking poles for years through many US airports and have never had a problem. I always check them on the return trip, though, because I fly out of Santiago and I know their security won't let them through.

The other possible problem is the airline itself, but I have never heard of any US airlines not letting people board with hiking poles. Buen camino, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
On the subject of poles, maybe a bit off topic: does most albergues on the CF route requires pilgrims to leave their poles at the door or a collection point?

On the subject of poles, maybe a bit off topic: does most albergues on the CF route requires pilgrims to leave their poles at the door or a collection point?
Yes this is often the case. Many pilgrims tie their two poles together with a distinctive band for easy identification; an 'extra' bright orange or chartreuse shoe lace can do the job.

Yes this is often the case. Many pilgrims tie their two poles together with a distinctive band for easy identification; an 'extra' bright orange or chartreuse shoe lace can do the job.
Thanks for the information :)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.