• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking Poles - Pics

TravellingSonn

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2008, Le Puy route (TBC)
Hi All,

I've purchased my walking poles (2) and was wondering if anyone had pics on how to use them correctly. I tried them out last night and I don't think I'm using them the right one.

Thanks again for your help

Love, light and smiles
Sonia
:D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Sonia,
I have bought pacer poles and they are very different to use compared to others (they come with a diagram and full instructions so maybe they're not the ones you have bought).
A good web site I have found to explain how to use other types of poles is:
http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm
He shows you how to use them and why you need them.

for others, the poles I bought were from:
http://www.pacerpole.com/shaping-the-future.html

I ordered these from the UK, however have since found out they can be bought from "Back Packer Light" in Melbourne for aussies who might be interested.
cheers,
Jane

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I thought the damned things were an affectation, but after about 100 metres of looking like a complete idiot (couldn't synchronise the pole with the opposite leg), I was hooked.

They allow you to charge up and down hills (making use of your upper body to help power you up, and providing an extra 'leg' on the ground on the way down), and provide both rhythm and the power of your arms to move you along on the flat.

I switch to the funny little rubber 'feet', or ordinary rubber ferrules on pavement/hard surfaces, as the spiked ends tend make an annoying noise (like stiletto heels!), and tend to skid on hard ground. I haven't needed the 'snow baskets' even in mud and undergrowth.

For ladies of a certain age, using walking poles builds up your shoulders and upper arms, and helps get rid of 'bingo wings'!

Like Janeh, I found the Peter Clinch site useful: http://www.personal.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/poles.htm

Pip

Hi Folks,

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my question. After logging onto the links provided, I now know what I was doing wrong... :lol:

Thanks again for all your help folks, it's greatly appreciated.

All the best
Sonia
:D

Pip:

I tried using the rubber caps as well. However, as you mentioned they do have a tendency to skid. But they also wear thru very quickly - after the first day from St. Jean to Roncesvalles they were significantly worn down on one side. Soon after, the metal tips broke through.

One day on the Way I stopped to take a picture with a group, and they noticed I had the caps on. Although they couldn't speak English, I got the idea that they were trying to tell me not to use the caps while walking, and that they were mainly for covering the metal tips when not in use.

Perhaps it's OK to use the rubber caps for short walks at home. But they can't stand up to the abuse of the Camino. And after awhile, I got to like the tapping sound - provided a nice aural rhythm, especially in towns that seemed to be deserted :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
HI:
I've enjoyed all the discussion on walking Poles - Pics, but I'm a conventional 5 foot wooded walking staff kind of guy. I have one that I could take with me but I would rather acquire one on the Camino and bring it back home as a souvenir of my walk. I've read in Robert Ward's book of people along the way who give pilgrims a staff if they are not already carrying one. If this were to happen I of course would be thankful and accept the generous gift, my preference however would be to buy a very special hand carved staff perhaps with some symbols of the Camino carved on it, like the shell or Saint James himself. I plan to start my walk a few days prior to SJPDP, does anyone know a shop or perhaps a local crafts person who sells walking staffs either in this area or on the first part of the Spanish side of the Camino Frances?

Thanks

Dale

Dale said:
HI:
My preference however would be to buy a very special hand carved staff perhaps with some symbols of the Camino carved on it, like the shell or Saint James himself. I plan to start my walk a few days prior to SJPDP, does anyone know a shop or perhaps a local crafts person who sells walking staffs either in this area or on the first part of the Spanish side of the Camino Frances?
Dale

There are two craftsmen who can supply you what you want.

http://www.nautile.fr/bourdon/

http://www.makhila.com/pub-anglais/index.htm

The first is more Camino based while the second is traditional Basque.

Buen Camino
William

Thank you William.

They are both beautiful but I guess the Basque Model is a little out of my price range. I've written to the Bourdon people to see if they have a shop that sells their Staffs along the way as the shipping charge to ship one to Canada is understandably quite high. If I get any additional useful information I will post it here.

Dale

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.