• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Walking poles solution....

PilgrimPillar

Rota Vicentina, fisherman’s trail, is sweet...
Time of past OR future Camino
Please come with
suggestions….
Thx….!!
I've been experiencing to many a different policy regarding walking poles as hand luggage...

So...what to do....???

Knock on wood.....this solution has worked on 6 different flights...absolutely no question asked...;

1. A copy of regulations with aftermentioned "dilemma" high lighted with marker pen. (Not used yet!) Ment to take out and show those on watch, prefereable the team supervisor.

"...First and foremost, the TSA regulations themselves say nothing about hiking poles. They say that ski poles are prohibited and walking aids are permitted...."

2. Three piece ALUMINIUM nordic walking poles taken a part and put INSIDE of my rucksack. In other words; six shorter pieces fit just fine and is only visible for scanner personel only.

(If this by any chance strikes out in the future I will bee buying poles in carbon fibre next. I now walkers who have done this investment allready...)

And remember, the personell we meet and speak to.....they do only what theire told to.

Hey presto!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is a very sensitive topic that starts big arguments here on the forum. Maybe the moderators would like to post a fact sheet or statement when the subject comes up, as it IS a valid and very frequent question. Here are the basic facts without editorial opinion, etc.:
  1. No poles are allowed through security at Santiago airport, when you are leaving.
  2. Many or most written guidance documents around the world say "No hiking poles."
  3. Many or most people who carry foldable/carbon fibre poles are allowed to carry them on.
  4. Walking aids are permitted if the passenger needs them for mobility.
  5. If you want to carry your poles into the cabin, no matter what type, go prepared with time and alternative packing plan in case you are not permitted to take them.
  6. The security agents at the airport have total discretion and it is not a good idea to argue with them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Aren't you from Norway?
  • If you are flying from Norway, then you should print out EU 2015/1998 plus any national law should Norway have decided to have additional legislation. I won't write out the exact title, you can google it easily. We have it in 23 language versions, unfortunately not in Norwegian as the EU doesn't do translations for our handful of EEA members such as Norway.
  • If flying from Spain, you should print out EU 2015/1998 in Spanish plus the national law as published in BOLETÍN OFICIAL DEL ESTADO, 27 de febrero de 2017. Resolución de 10 de febrero de 2017, de la Secretaría General de Transporte, por la que se aprueba la actualización de la parte pública del Programa Nacional de Seguridad para la Aviación Civil. I couldn't find anything else in national law.
However, if you ask me, don't waste any ink or toner. Do as @C clearly advises. Bon voyage! :)

Hint: You can save paper if you just print out Attachment 4-C Passengers and cabin baggage - List of prohibited articles. Otherwise it's 142 DIN A4 pages for the complete text of this Implementing Regulation.

Thanks for remarks

((I have a A4 paper printed with various on two sides, just in case it comes handy. I probably never take it out of my wallet anyhow))

Thats a good point where I am from BUT in my experience the chalkenge is not to Spain but returning from. I embark mostly of course from airports within EU. (Norwegian legislation is by the way not worth aaanything.....we are just a little bus-stop in the woodland reaching up to arctica )

142 pages.....wwwwow...

Clarification ;

My reckoning/standpoint is just what I do/experience ...and then pass the good and bad on....what we as individuals decide is also what we take, as individuals, responsibility of.

A working forum is, for me, exchange of info. I personally do therefore not focus on if I am right/wrong....at all. But I do think of ways to come by and travel as light/flexible as possible.

So all good people and peregrinos. I pass on what works for me. If someone has another take on this....that's 100% super as long as their solutions is out there. I will still continue my best practise....for me....and learn as I go along from examples of fellow walkers...

If someone find it as a useful idea to try taking theire poles apart and put it inside....mission accomplished..

Punktum finale.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
This is a very sensitive topic that starts big arguments here on the forum. Maybe the moderators would like to post a fact sheet or statement when the subject comes up, as it IS a valid and very frequent question. Here are the basic facts without editorial opinion, etc.:
  1. No poles are allowed through security at Santiago airport, when you are leaving.
  2. Many or most written guidance documents around the world say "No hiking poles."
  3. Many or most people who carry foldable/carbon fibre poles are allowed to carry them on.
  4. Walking aids are permitted if the passenger needs them for mobility.
  5. If you want to carry your poles into the cabin, no matter what type, go prepared with time and alternative packing plan in case you are not permitted to take them.
  6. The security agents at the airport have total discretion and it is not a good idea to argue with them.
@C clearly, thank you for this summary. I would add, for those that want to rely on the absence of a specific exclusion of hiking poles/walking sticks/etc in the legislation of the departure airport, the underlying text in all the legislation that I have looked at is to exclude as cabin baggage
blunt instruments — objects capable of being used to cause serious injury when used to hit
and the lists of what this might mean in practice are inclusive lists - ie capable of being interpreted to include additional things at the discretion of the person applying the rule.

In my research on this, the TSA specifically lists hiking poles, and they are specifically listed in the UK rules, but they are not listed in the EU nor in Australia.

During my flight Miami, USA - Lisbon- Madrid last year with PAT, they looked at my retractable aluminum ("aircraft grade") poles , removed the rubber tips to confirmed that the tips were not sharp and pointed but short flat screw like ends (several agents took a look) and they let me carry them on board. They didn't fit inside my backpack so there was no hiding them, but they seam more concern with the tips (that they were not sharp and pointed) than whether they fit inside my carry-on or backpack.

I did wonder if my metal shaft umbrella was going to get highlighted when I carried it onboard from Sydney to Madrid via the UK, then through Lisbon via Madrid back to the UK, then to Poland and Germany. The umbrella does not retract, is full length and is bright red. I simply carried it under my arm. I was prepared to ditch it if necessary, but it made the journey home without anyone questioning it.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I did wonder if my metal shaft umbrella was going to get highlighted when I carried it onboard from Sydney to Madrid via the UK, then through Lisbon via Madrid back to the UK, then to Poland and Germany. The umbrella does not retract, is full length and is bright red. I simply carried it under my arm. I was prepared to ditch it if necessary, but it made the journey home without anyone questioning it.
That seems perfectly consistent with the UK Govt advice at https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/personal-items that says umbrellas are allowed as cabin baggage. They don't care about the colour :)

I usually spend some time in Europe after my Camino. I buy a pair of walking poles from Walmart (about$20) before I leave, check-in with my backpack, and discard after I reach Santiago. That way I can take advantage of discount airline flights in Europe (usually out of Santiago) without having to pay for check-in luggage. I still own a pair of more expensive hiking poles, but I really do not notice the differences. Maybe the durability?

My foldable poles went through in Minneapolis and Paris. Coming back through Santiago they were a no go. The Scanner person changed and the people behind me were able to go through with their poles. So, either mail them home or check them. I ended up going back to the ticket counter and giving them to an appreciative Vueling agent. They had my blessing and 800k of mileage on them. Luckily I left my good Leki poles at home and had used inexpensive ones for the Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I never understood the premise that one must take the poles into the cabin when it can be such a hassle.
My rucksack would challenge the requirements anyway, and I would not like to be the one where my rucksack was the last one in and there would be no room for it.
As it is, I need a seat at the aisle where I can get the 2 extra inches that are needed for me to sit upright in the seat. If I get any other seat , I am forced to have my one leg a bit out into the middle as I am compelled to sit a bit sidewards.
To get these legroom seats, I have to cough up anyway ! ..and hence hand my rucksack in...

The only time I forgot to book for longer legroom, my knee was rammed with the corner of the ever so sturdy taxfree service trolley oby the stewardess. She was ever so sorry , me too, as I had dozed off and not paid attention ..

Last edited:
It is also a good idea to check with the airline ahead of time. My correspondence from Air France indicated that they do not allow walking poles on board, even if they are disassembled.

I've been experiencing to many a different policy regarding walking poles as hand luggage...

So...what to do....???

Knock on wood.....this solution has worked on 6 different flights...absolutely no question asked...;

1. A copy of regulations with aftermentioned "dilemma" high lighted with marker pen. (Not used yet!) Ment to take out and show those on watch, prefereable the team supervisor.

"...First and foremost, the TSA regulations themselves say nothing about hiking poles. They say that ski poles are prohibited and walking aids are permitted...."

2. Three piece ALUMINIUM nordic walking poles taken a part and put INSIDE of my rucksack. In other words; six shorter pieces fit just fine and is only visible for scanner personel only.

(If this by any chance strikes out in the future I will bee buying poles in carbon fibre next. I now walkers who have done this investment allready...)

And remember, the personell we meet and speak to.....they do only what theire told to.

Hey presto!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I recently contacted Flybe to ask if I'd be allowed to take collapsible poles (down to 31cm and no sharp tip - Birmingham to Biarritz) in my cabin bag, and this was the reply 7 days later:

'Thank you for your e-mail regarding walking poles.
I am pleased to inform you that collapsible walking poles can only be carried in you hold allowance, as they are not permitted in the cabin at all. To book hold allowance please go to www.flybe.com or simply contact our Reservations Department on: 0371 700 2000 and my colleagues will assist you right away'.

I wish you a lovely day ahead.

I think such a fact sheet/FAQ is an excellent idea that will benefit the forum. Perhaps add in point 1 the special pilgrim service offered by Santiago airport: every passenger can check in walking poles free of charge, for all airlines and ticket categories.
That's a good point. I'll edit my earlier post, if you can give me a source or clarification for this fact.

So...what to do....???

Hey presto!

So...what to do....???

Hey presto!

Have you even considered purchasing a baston or two where ever you start your Caminio? We opted to use these sturdy poles and had no problems whatsoever. Once you get to SDC you can even donate it!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have you even considered purchasing a baston or two where ever you start your Caminio? We opted to use these sturdy poles and had no problems whatsoever. Once you get to SDC you can even donate it!

Thx for question. Nordic walking poles is hugely effective when used with right technique. I use them in difficult terrain and/or when fatigue is really setting in. The latter gives me another gear with higher frequency, speed. Footblade lands in another fashion. Torso, arms and back activated. All in all I would never go on a camino without them.

(A lot of fellow walkers should benefit a lot from having better understanding in how to use them, but thats another topic....aaaaaand we have all our own camino so I'm not judging anyone)

That's a good point. I'll edit my earlier post, if you can give me a source or clarification for this fact.
Apologies for this late reply. Here's is what I have:
  • There is an agreement to waive fees for checked in walking poles at Santiago airport. I can't find the press release anymore but this article on free services at Spanish airports confirms it: hay aeropuertos, como el de Santiago de Compostela, que disponen de servicios específicos que tienen que ver con el tipo de pasajero que los emplea, como es el caso de los peregrinos que recorren el Camino. De ahí, que en este espacio haya una zona habilitada con herramientas para el montaje y desmontaje de bicicletas y todas las compañías permitan facturar los bastones de trekking sin coste adicional para el pasajero, i.e. all airlines allow all passengers to check in trekking poles without additional costs at Santiago airport. This offer does not seem to exist elsewhere. Of course, depending on your ticket, you will not have to pay extra elsewhere.

• As an example, if you are on a budget ticket like Aerlingus Saver Fare, you would normally have to pay 40 EUR for check-in of your walking poles. I contacted Aerlingus Customer Relations Spain / Dpto. de Atención a Clientes España and asked specifically about these cheap tickets.Their reply:
  • Yes, you cannot take it [walking poles] on board, but you can checking free of charge.
  • Aer Lingus no cobra cargos por facturación / Aer Lingus do not charge any check-in fees.

I'm intrigued about the practicality of checking in poles.

How do people wrap ? Outbound flight is easy but when returning, what materials do you use?
Presumably one doesn't want to carry these.
I don't envisage taking a rucksack where they could be put inside or attached and then wrapped with one of these wrapping services.

Also do they need protection if packed by themselves? By definition they are reasonably sturdy. But you know how airline handlers are always very careful with bags .... not !

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm intrigued about the practicality of checking in poles.

How do people wrap ? Outbound flight is easy but when returning, what materials do you use?
Presumably one doesn't want to carry these.
I don't envisage taking a rucksack where they could be put inside or attached and then wrapped with one of these wrapping services.

Also do they need protection if packed by themselves? By definition they are reasonably sturdy. But you know how airline handlers are always very careful with bags .... not !
I check my bag, so wrapping is not too much of an issue. My poles get strapped to the side of my bag using the side compression straps, or if I am going to use a carry bag, they go in there. If a rubber tip is lost, I wouldn't be too fussed, and thus far there has been no damage to the poles even when exposed strapped outside the pack.

My Pacer poles came with a cloth mesh bag. I put them in this bag and check them in Santiago de Compostela with no problems.

I think such a fact sheet/FAQ is an excellent idea that will benefit the forum. Perhaps add in point 1 the special pilgrim service offered by Santiago airport: every passenger can check in walking poles free of charge, for all airlines and ticket categories.
Even Ryanair?

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Preparing for our Camino Ignaciano perigrinacion, I followed up on the earlier suggestion about carbon fiber poles not being scanner detected... the Black Diamond folks say that the scanners will discern the poles. They suggested that removing the metal tips from the poles improves the chance of acceptance... the rule, at least in the US (TSA) seems to be airport policy specific. So, taking along a 3 x 24" plastic pipe w/ end caps just in case they need to be checked.
As an aside, the BD folks did tell me hey heard that in Italy the security folks actually take the bottom shaft... he didn't say if they return it {:>)

I'm obliged to share the good and the bad in equal measure....

Never ending saga.....came back some weeks ago....flew out of Madrid..

Was asked to show inside of rucksack by security and it was my sooo good swiss alu poles he wanted to see....was told to check them in....

Kept completely undeterred and just asked to speak to team manager.....maybe he silently was provoked....? ....do not know.....cause two guardia civil officers was asked to talk to me...

Again....calm as a ...."Peregrino in a Happy place"....just stated the obvious...pilgrim on my way home with the walking aid at hand dismantled in my handluggage.... was instructed not to take them out.....easy peasy as that was why I put them theire in the first place...

I do suspect different official aporoach and that it will continue that way in the forseeable future ....it is what it is....

My take on now, is to go no metal/three piece carbon on the next purchase....until then....no worries and low shoulders....what happen...happens....

Ultreia

Last edited by a moderator:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.